(Topic ID: 68330)

WE will not give STERN anymore of our money until codes are finished!!

By Rcade

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 319 posts
  • 130 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinballwizard79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Will you ever buy another NIB Stern?”

• Nope. They've lost my business for good with their poor code update structure and PR 55 votes
    15%
  • Not until they fix current codes that are clearly unfinished and continue to release games with more complete code 256 votes
    68%
  • Yes. Ive never had a problem with the current system. Play pinball!! 66 votes
    18%

(377 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Christopher-Walken.jpg
image-124.jpg
back to the future.png
popcorn eat good.gif
image.jpg
stern.gif
mistake.jpg
codes.jpg
images-1.jpeg

There are 319 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 6 years ago

Waldorf and Stadtler I think are their names. That's what I call those two guys on TMZ in the back who are always making crude jokes heh.

#202 6 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Were they the 2 old guy muppets in the balcony? Those damn jokesters!

You are thinking of Statler and Waldorf, not Simon and Garfunkiel.

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Ok I even laughed at that one.

Of course you did! It was funny, and you have a good sense of humor!

Some very important people it seems don't have one. People in glass houses. Or cloudy glass houses....

#204 6 years ago

popcorn eat good.gif
#205 6 years ago

I feel there are many people in this thread who have only been in the hobby a few years. If you do some research you'll fnd Stern developed this pattern ten years ago. Many of the good games now were not so hotly reveared when they came out. Even LOTR and SM took some time to blossom into what you see today. Those were some of the success stories, there have been many since that didn't fare so well, yet.

So don't be amazed. I feel empathy and am grateful for the opinions expressed about what is missing. But buyers of pins with incomplete code have enabled Stern to continue this as standard procedure.

#206 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

But buyers of pins with incomplete code have enabled Stern to continue this as standard procedure.

Yes, this is true... shame on us! Not me, and 100's, if not 1,000's of us pinball buyers anymore. We're DONE with that BS.

#207 6 years ago

So 83% of you aren't buying another Stern pin NIB? Do you also watch PBS and only read Playboy for the articles?

#208 6 years ago

At least on my end I'm not. Can't speak for anybody else that voted, but I'm out until they apply better communications about code updates and prove that they intend on "finishing" game code within a relatively reasonable timeframe after a new release.

#209 6 years ago

I hope Stern can survive with all these threats .

#210 6 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I hope Stern can survive with all these threats .

I hope the distributors can too. Some of them buy lots of games to store for a rainy day but if the code never gets polished then....

#211 6 years ago

My dollars are going elsewhere.

#212 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

So 83% of you aren't buying another Stern pin NIB? Do you also watch PBS and only read Playboy for the articles?

Personally I pay for things that provide value to me. I don't torrent Game of Thrones because I'm happy to give HBO money every month for the content they provide for instance. Stern is losing sight of that value proposition. They've got an incredible talent pool that's obviously passionate about pinball, and when they take the time to get it right they nail it. But more often than not these days they're not doing that, and unless economic pressures respond to it can you see them bothering to change?

#213 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I've had almost every Stern at this point...many purchased NIB. I'm the "prime candidate" to keep buying NIB...but, I'm deciding not to. I'm truly burnt out on paying to be the guinea pig. I'm just going to wait now to see if games have complete code, bug free, and toys/features work 100%. Not only that, I'm going to wait until my games from the past few years get updates. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy just playing the games I have....I like new pinball games but I don't need them. My impulse NIB days are over due to code...and price to some extent. I can afford new games, but for the price I have expectations.

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've had almost every Stern at this point...many purchased NIB. I'm the "prime candidate" to keep buying NIB...but, I'm deciding not to. I'm truly burnt out on paying to be the guinea pig. I'm just going to wait now to see if games have complete code, bug free, and toys/features work 100%. Not only that, I'm going to wait until my games from the past few years get updates. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy just playing the games I have....I like new pinball games but I don't need them. My impulse NIB days are over due to code...and price to some extent. I can afford new games, but for the price I have expectations.

Me = Agree 1000%

I'm in the exact same boat

#215 6 years ago

Count me in as not buying NIB ever. In fact there's a really good chance that I won't buy a Stern again... even used.

I'd much rather sit back and wait for my MM...then Hobbit...then whatever PPS has going next year.

In the meantime there's still a bunch of Williams games i'm interested in adding. I can't even think of a license that Stern would put out that I would 'have' to buy. MetLE was that title for me...just to many players in the game right now to buy Stern's shit

Quoted from swampfire:

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

just to many players in the game right now to buy Stern's shit

Unfortunately, I think Stern will learn this "the hard way"...

back to the future.png

#217 6 years ago

Or they could just show a clear commitment to finishing the code to past games, with clear effective communication with their customers.

I WANT TO GIVE THEM MY MONEY! I have in the past. I would in the future if we were treated like we are valued customers, not annoyances.

If Xmen got the proper finish, polish and love that other games seem to get, I would be the biggest cheerleader for the game and the company.

#218 6 years ago

281-57 is the surprising vote count against Nib.....

Quoted from Rarehero:

I like new pinball games but I don't need them.

Got to keep reminding myself of that!

#219 6 years ago

I've only bought one new Stern, Metallica. It will be my last purchase of any new unknown Stern without seeing code complete-ish. Partially due to price, moreso due to lack of updates and communication. I knew this was a risk diving in, but the theme and the layout got me good, but now that my concerns have been validated, I can wait for future releases to become more polished. I'm not an LE buyer anyway as I don't like impulse decisions of that magnitude so theres no need to rush.

I'm saving to see what The Hobbit brings. WoZ is actually a very impressive piece of hardware and software and if it had a completely different theme, I'd own one right now.

The key differentiator for me is that JJP and PPS are reachable. Sometimes they say the wrong thing, sometimes the right thing - At least they say SOMETHING. All companies make mistakes, fall behind, have issues... etc. and I'm grown up enough to not sling mud when people admit faults or problems. Heck, even with how annoying their behaviour is, I don't dislike Stern at all. I hope they continue to make great machines. I'll just give them the time to perfect each machine next time. Hopefully that model works for them - maybe theres room for it in the market and we're just a vocal minority on Pinside.

#220 6 years ago

My brother was ready to jump on ST, he has 1 EM pin but was ready to make the jump & buy a Pro. He asked my opinion I told him that I would stay away from it until the code is proven. I told him I'm still waiting for X Men code and you are at the mercy of stern as to if and when it will ever be done. He is taking my advice and passing for now. So there is one less NIB purchase.

#221 6 years ago

It looks like to me it's a two year wait for a Stern pin to have almost 100% code done.

If we go back two years - 2011 - (Rolling Stones, Tron and Transformers), these pins are complete. IMHO

2012 - AC/DC (almost done), X-Men (gah), Avengers (close?) - so 2014 should see these 3 done

2013 - Metallica and Star Trek. ST had a decent update recently, Met's should drop any day now?

As a hobby OP, I really only have one choice in the game for NiB, Stern Pro's. Everyone else has priced me out.

It seems like the only game Stern has abandoned is WoF.

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

It seems like the only game Stern has abandoned is WoF.

WPT had one update but lots of potential and WOF has been SOL.

#223 6 years ago

It's like a Seinfeld episode.. I envision a bunch of pinheads calling each other asking "Are you still master of your domain?"

#224 6 years ago

Its all about the marketing. Distributors need a product to sell otherwise how can they stay in business? Guess they can sell used refurb machines. The distributors do take a chance when they order I'm sure they have some Sterns in the back that are unsold and been in inventory awhile. I bought a NIB MetPro. I feel dissed that it is not complete. No more NIB for me. MMR is too high as is WOZ and for sure no Stern LE what a joke

#225 6 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Me = Agree 1000%

me three

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Me = Agree 1000%

Me four

rd.

#227 6 years ago

just imagine if PPS and JJP can put out one solid title a year, I m talking remake of TZ, IJ, MB, CFTBL etc.. Stern can suck an egg if they aren't going to finish XM LE, not just say it's done but have an actual polished code. This is getting silly has been what 18 months?

#228 6 years ago

I'm glad this thread has gotten so much attention. The only thing that motivates companies to change is the loss of revenue. They had a monopoly for so long that people had no other choice. Now that they do, the money is going to walk.

The days of ignoring the customer are coming to an end. You either change or you die.

#229 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

The days of ignoring the customer are coming to an end. You either change or you die.

Blackberry............

Quoted from cal50:

WPT had one update but lots of potential and WOF has been SOL.

WPT is great and deeper than every other Stern out there aside from TSPP and LOTR, maybe I'm missing some other deep rule pins but if Stern could do one update and get it that right on WPT then I'd take it on every one....

#230 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Blackberry............

+1

#231 6 years ago

Its pretty obvious that Stern is treating Xmen LE the same way as they treated WOF.....they will just ingnore it long enough and we will go away. Yup...we will. And we will go to other manufacturers that care about the future of their company. Stern is in the middle of a big shitstorm that they just do not seem to believe exists.

Does anyone with a business background have an estimation of how long it will take the beancounters to figure out they have a problem that needs to be addressed? Its pretty obvious that their future sales numbers are in for a severe downturn.

But will they realize why or simply blow it off as more competition from new manufacturers without addressing the problems/complaints they have from their customers?

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Its pretty obvious that their future sales numbers are in for a severe downturn.

I doubt that actually, but I guess we'll find out early next year.

#233 6 years ago

Did anyone post on their Twitter account? Can you see everyone who did? Any responce? I don't use it but I'm tempted to sign up just to do this..

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

just imagine if PPS and JJP can put out one solid title a year, I m talking remake of TZ, IJ, MB, CFTBL etc..

I thought PPS only had the rights to the games shown on their game gallery page. TZ, IJ, CFTBL are not listed.

#236 6 years ago

Its pretty obvious that Stern is treating Xmen LE the same way as they treated WOF.

It took 2 years for Tron to be complete. Not saying XMen will be complete then, but I wouldnt give up hope.

If I still owned XMen that is ...

#237 6 years ago

Yea...thats me allright. I really love the game and the toys on it. But being that Stern actually listed a "danger room" mode on the game card that I have heard does not exist could that be a potential legal liability? Obviously I have not gotten far enough into the game to find out if it is there, but other posts have indicated it does not exist.

#238 6 years ago

Yea...thats me allright. I really love the game and the toys on it. But being that Stern actually listed a "danger room" mode on the game card that I have heard does not exist could that be a potential legal liability? Obviously I have not gotten far enough into the game to find out if it is there, but other posts have indicated it does not exist.

Danger mode exists and has in full capacity since a couple updates ago. Dark Pheonix animations were finished and implemented with the most recent update, but the rules therein are the "Lonnie Special" currently. The last Wizard mode in XM is all text at the moment though.

Deadpool mode, although not on the card, has been an option in the adjustments menu since day one, and still doesn't exist, heck, there's only ONE sound call out that is possibly Deadpool in the game code current.y, but nothing other than that.

#239 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Exactly. lol

How in the world did you get two thumbs down for this post?

#240 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This sounds familiar to me...

Then you bought METLE.

#241 6 years ago

Geez get a grip people , many of you have 5 , 8 , 10+ pins in your collection . I think its people like you that are pushing up the prices to stupid levels . You run out like children wanting the latest Xbox game but in your case its a pin .

Play the pins you have for awhile , chill and enjoy them . Once you get a chance to play a newer machine and you like what the package offers , then purchase .

#242 6 years ago
Quoted from criss:

I think its people like you that are pushing up the prices to stupid levels . You run out like children wanting the latest Xbox game but in your case its a pin .

Nope. Prices are at stupid levels because:
1) Pinball machine are EXPENSIVE to make, and in order for manufacturers to make this thing called "profit", they have to sell them for higher than it costs to make them. Expensive BOM + profit margin = more expensive.
2) Flippers taking advantage of the "new blood" in the hobby, bumping prices up incrementally on older pins because some new hobbyists might not know any better and they SELL at that price. Other non-flipper hobbyists see them moving at those inflated prices and, not wanting to "lose out" on extra money, sell their pins at the flipper costs. Flippers see this and raise their asking prices and rinse repeat until they reach a price point at which the pin will not sell, then the price settles.

Quoted from criss:

Play the pins you have for awhile , chill and enjoy them . Once you get a chance to play a newer machine and you like what the package offers , then purchase .

Um, yes. I do/have. But unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money to throw into pins, so my purchasing an XM (which I enjoyed playing prior to purchasing) was a HUGE purchase for me, way above what I planned. And while the game is currently a blast to play and I love it, it is obviously unfinished/unpolished code. Knowing the crazy amount I spent on this luxury item, and seeing how it has turned out, THAT is why I don't plan on buying another NIB (if I'm ever fortunate enough to get the money to do again) until I see that Stern is standing by their products fully even after release and communicating effectively with their consumer base.

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This sounds familiar to me...
Then you bought METLE.

The right theme + Lyman will make me break my rule lol

I've been playing Metallica A LOT over the past few weeks and am just loving the hell out of it...so, absolutely no regrets. ST is a neutral theme to me and I have STTNG already, so I don't mind sitting it out. The rumored upcoming themes don't really do anything for me either....so 2014 is a total "wait and see" year for me with NIB unless someone just blows me away out the gate.

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

unless someone just blows me away out the gate.

Might just be Jpop....you never know

#245 6 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Danger mode exists and has in full capacity since a couple updates ago. Dark Pheonix animations were finished and implemented with the most recent update, but the rules therein are the "Lonnie Special" currently. The last Wizard mode in XM is all text at the moment though.
Deadpool mode, although not on the card, has been an option in the adjustments menu since day one, and still doesn't exist, heck, there's only ONE sound call out that is possibly Deadpool in the game code current.y, but nothing other than that.

Thanks for the clarification. I really hope they finish this code. Its a great game and it would be a shame to see it fall by the wayside over code issues. It just does not look good at this time however unless Stern changes their business plan.

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Nope. Prices are at stupid levels because:

2) Flippers taking advantage of the "new blood" in the hobby, bumping prices up incrementally on older pins because new hobbyists don't know any better and they SELL at that price. Other non-flipper hobbyists see them moving at those inflated prices and, not wanting to "lose out" on extra money, sell their pins at the flipper costs. Flippers see this and raise their asking prices and rinse repeat until they reach a price point at which the pin will not sell, then the price settles.

So now all new comers to pinball are all grouped in a category of yours: "new hobbyists don't know any better"
what? like any new player to the hobby can't think or research or get a good deal just because you think you have years of knowledge and maybe a seniority feeling?

I think new comers to this hobby can figure out what a pin is worth. To group all new hobbyist this way is insulting.

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

So now all new comers to pinball are all grouped in a category of yours: "new hobbyists don't know any better"
what? like any new player to the hobby can't think or research or get a good deal just because you think you have years of knowledge and maybe a seniority feeling?
I think new comers to this hobby can figure out what a pin is worth. To group all new hobbyist this way is insulting.

You are correct, No insult intended. Bad phrasing on my part, I have edited my post. I did not mean to lump every new hobbyist with a broad stroke, and I wasn't trying to be pejorative to new hobbyists, we were ALL new at one point. My fault for not phrasing correctly, sorry.

#248 6 years ago

Thanks Rcade. I respect how you came back..you did it with class. Makes me feel bad I said it.

#249 6 years ago

Don't feel bad. If you hadn't pointed it out, I most likely wouldn't have noticed it and others would have possibly taken it the wrong way as well. Trust me, pointing it out to me was very helpful, thanks!

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

So 83% of you aren't buying another Stern pin NIB?

Yeah right. I'll believe it when I see it.

The noobs have spoken.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 319 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside