(Topic ID: 68330)

WE will not give STERN anymore of our money until codes are finished!!

By Rcade

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 319 posts
  • 130 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PW79
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Will you ever buy another NIB Stern?”

• Nope. They've lost my business for good with their poor code update structure and PR 55 votes
    15%
  • Not until they fix current codes that are clearly unfinished and continue to release games with more complete code 256 votes
    68%
  • Yes. Ive never had a problem with the current system. Play pinball!! 66 votes
    18%

(377 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Christopher-Walken.jpg
image-124.jpg
back to the future.png
popcorn eat good.gif
image.jpg
stern.gif
mistake.jpg
codes.jpg
images-1.jpeg

There are 319 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 6 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I meant it was a great purchase, resale was better then the purchase price and on unfinished code to boot !

Two thumbs down for that post. Hilarious.

Don't you know that it is simply WRONG to ever make any money on selling a pin at market price?! Dammit Jim, what the hell were you thinking?!

#152 6 years ago

I posted this in another thread. Downfall parody of an angry reaction to unfinished code:

http://meemsy.com/v/12322

#153 6 years ago

I don't think Stern's hearing is very good. People (Customers) have been speaking out for a long time.

Maybe his vision is better, and he'll be able to read my T shirt at the pinball shows while I pass him in the hall;

Stern...
Update our Code!

#154 6 years ago

This is the greatest thread ever !!

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Stern Pinball, Jersey Jack, and Planetary pinball do twitter. I bet there's a lot of people on Pinside that do to.

Is Stern's anything other than a fb reflector? I don't follow it closely, just seems to be what I've noticed. As for pinsiders, I honestly haven't seen a lot of active ones, but I'm sure I don't have them all, either. I recently made a pinball follower list and added a ton of people to it.

@pinballkeefer @JJPSoftware

#156 6 years ago

Here is the solution I found: I haven't bought a single NIB Stern...although I like many Sterns. I just wait until I find a machine I like with mature code. I love my LOTR and WPT. Would seriously consider TSPP and ACDC - and perhaps X-men once Stern fixes its code. I don't feel the need to have the latest toy...

Does not mean I won't buy NIB pins. I am in for Nemo and Predator (both will be open source, so I guess if I don't like the rules, I can change them!) and would definitively consider Wooly if produced. My way to support innovation and creativity!

#157 6 years ago

The count as it stands for those who have voted "as out" or "not until they finish past game codes" equals about 1.7M and counting in losses and that was by calculating a happy medium price between the pro's and LE's.

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I posted this in another thread. Downfall parody of an angry reaction to unfinished code:
http://meemsy.com/v/12322

Literally one of the best parodys of that scene I have seen, and the fact it's spot on makes it even better

#159 6 years ago

Honestly, I think TSPP and LOTR have fine codes!! Leave those two alone! Besides, there's a reason why these two are considered the best Sterns ever produced.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from jedimojo:

Gary on the other hand..... I highly doubt he reads this stuff.

I'm pretty sure Gary used to be advised about negative activity on RGP regarding Stern and would ask his workers to 'take it down'. Many lulz probably ensued.

#161 6 years ago

Complaining about code level of completeness is a moot point when various companies are still selling games.

Stern-
Multiple games in the production pipeline and I am sure code for each one parallels it as the physical build gets to JOB-1. When the hardware is completes the code goes in at whatever level it is and it ships. If you like the title / theme of the game buy it and hope its decent or readdressed as time moves forward.
Some titles never get an update.

JJP-
Made a huge blunder (nice sales pitch) by promising to not ship without complete code but is playing catch up and addressing it. If that is what his customers want he is targeting and supporting them. Kudos to JJP.

MM Remake-
Sold out based on title / theme popularity and everyone assumes its a carbon copy of the original.
Point being people are buying into them with little information for the most part and assuming the finished product.

If you buy a game based on its theme or "fun to play" face value you will not be disappointed. If you expect more then wait until you see a finished item to decide. As long as people keep ordering games and the companies can sell everything they make forcing a change is not likely to happen but its fun to talk about.

#162 6 years ago

K&R, for exposure.

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

He didn't talk about any current games or issues, so either (a) he is so insulated, he doesn't know the issues that concern the non-operator market or (b) he doesn't care or (c) thinks it will have no material impact on sales.

stern.gif
#164 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Don't you know that it is simply WRONG to ever make any money on selling a pin at market price?! Dammit Jim, what the hell were you thinking?!

Ahhh, I see, Jimmy Mac was just pointing out the great deals that he personally made on buying and selling these pins Congrats Jimmy!

So are you going to start running a "pinball tout service" now? Trading on these pins is tough business

Is STLE a buy or a sell right now?

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

BUY!!!!!

image.jpg

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I say buy but anything could happen. STLE has a great pedigree and my money is on STLE .

#167 6 years ago

Today stern released a new version of code for ST. Without a readme file so I'm going to guess its to cover laser projector LEs that start shipping 11/11. With this being the FORTH iteration of code for ST in the month of October I wanted to ask how many versions has Metallica had since it came out?

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Today stern released a new version of code for ST. Without a readme file so I'm going to guess its to cover laser projector LEs that start shipping 11/11. With this being the FORTH iteration of code for ST in the month of October I wanted to ask how many versions has Metallica had since it came out?

2 i believe. Maybe 3?

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Don't you know that it is simply WRONG to ever make any money on selling a pin at market price?!

My thumbs down came from my continued irritation of getting screwed out of my LE purchase by Stern, the distributor or whoever the hell was responsible. The "market price" for the new game was $1000-2000 less than what people are reselling them for. I don't know Jim nor do I know what he sold his MetLe for or if he even had one. But, when I see someone who actually was able to purchase the game indicating the only reason the wanted the game was to become an additional middle man (read, another price increase) on the road to an owner that actually wanted to OWN the game it pisses me off.

Whatever, though, right? Why shouldn't people do whatever they can to screw their fellow hobbyists out of a few dollars?

#170 6 years ago

But, back on topic. No NIB Stern for me now, either.

#171 6 years ago

Starting with Star Trek I am speaking with my wallet. No more NIB for me regardless of title until it is clear that they care about their machines software.

#172 6 years ago
Quoted from Incognito:

My thumbs down came from my continued irritation of getting screwed out of my LE purchase by Stern, the distributor or whoever the hell was responsible. The "market price" for the new game was $1000-2000 less than what people are reselling them for. I don't know Jim nor do I know what he sold his MetLe for or if he even had one. But, when I see someone who actually was able to purchase the game indicating the only reason the wanted the game was to become an additional middle man (read, another price increase) on the road to an owner that actually wanted to OWN the game it pisses me off.

Whatever, though, right? Why shouldn't people do whatever they can to screw their fellow hobbyists out of a few dollars?

Hey man ! I bought the game ,opened the game , played the game 120 times,put it back in the box and sold because I think STLE will be better and since I am not made of money I sold MOPLE.

I happen to come out ok on the purchase and that is all I am saying .. If that is screwing someone, then so be it !

This hobby is getting lamer by the second and it is not the pinball machines fault ~!

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Hey man ! I bought the game ,opened the game , played the game 120 times,put it back in the box and sold because I think STLE will be better and since I am not made of money I sold MOPLE.

I like your answer. I apologize for lumping you in with the flippers. I was out of line. The comment that I thumbed down sounded different. I sometimes forget that people write things "tongue in cheek".

Again, I apologize.

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

There's been 4-5 total. Only I think 3 since premiums came out (ie I've only updated 3 times). Most were to address bugs, sounds, dots, etc... only 2-3 updates altered the gameplay appreciably.

#175 6 years ago

Seems like the 2 most recent releases that got the shaft code wise are Xmen and Metallica.

What is the common denominator to these - Borg.

Based on what has been said in other threads, Borg takes the view that once he is done designing the game, its out of his hands and totally up to the programmers.

Maybe he doesn't fight as hard to ensure his games get the necessary polish or finish. Shame because I love how his games play.

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Seems like the 2 most recent releases that got the shaft code wise are Xmen and Metallica.
Based on what has been said in other threads, Borg takes the view that once he is done designing the game, its out of his hands and totally up to the programmers.
Maybe he doesn't fight as hard to ensure his games get the necessary polish or finish. Shame because I love how his games play.

I really think you are on to something here. Everyone says that IM, TRON,ACDC, code shaped up really well. Xmen and Metallica take a beating on code here. Avenger's is kinda
"some like where it's at and others don't". Remind me who did Avengers?

But only 3 code updates for Metallica? Dang. ST got it's forth today. And there's another one coming for LE/Premium. It was confirmed by another pinsider that today's was for the Pro. But we've speculated it was coming in lieu of the Papa Tv ST event this coming Saturday. Stern wouldn't want crap code for a major televised and soon to be archived event I'd think?

#177 6 years ago

The problem is communication. I have no doubts at all Lyman will deliver a huge update for MET. But no one has been told that.

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The problem is communication. I have no doubts at all Lyman will deliver a huge update for MET. But no one has been told that.

And why is this so? Could anybody explain why STERNs communication is what it is?
Other companies are doing way better:
With WOZ I have the rules displayed on my LCD, there are still things missing but I know what I will get. It's no problem to wait for the next update, cause they are coming regularly and if it would be a problem I could ask in the WOZ forum. That's the way it should be.
With STERN games, you can hope for updates, you can have faith in a certain programmer or designer, and now there are a lot of people here that think this isn't enough anymore.
They are posting so much useless shit on their facebook page. Would it be so hard to use this page to inform us more about things that are important to us?
I would see only advantages.

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from Incognito:

Why shouldn't people do whatever they can to screw their fellow hobbyists out of a few dollars?

I suggest you don't take up the craft beer hobby. I saw your apology so not fanning flames. The advice still applies.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I bought AC/DC Back In Black with unfinished code

Not to mention a cloudy lower playfield window.

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

And why is this so? Could anybody explain why STERNs communication is what it is?

Probably because it's generally been working for them up until now. Who knows if it'll keep working in the future.

#182 6 years ago

Why does anyone care about number of updates any game receives? Quality, not quantity matters.

#183 6 years ago

Ok I'm in waited long enough on the MET pro . I stupidly bought one wanting that nib feeling. Would be a good game IF it had all the features. No more NIB Stern ya hear me. Plus Prem and LE are not worth it ( too high)

#184 6 years ago

It's mostly a PR problem. They simply need to hire a 'social media intern' or some savvy gossip girl to organize and blast out communications, texts, tweets on all titles < 2 years old.

A. {Game Title} code status =
1)Good news, we are still updating this title. Next release scheduled for 11/20/2013 -- deadlines subject to change. Thanks for your patience as we are hard at work on making your game fully feature functional and bug free!

2)Thanks for checking in with us, at this time our team feels the code for your game is quite solid. Last release was 08/10/2013 -- please feel free to contact Stern support if you identify any bugs/issues/or glaring omissions. Thanks!

B. {Game Title} coming features & fixes =
1)The feature list slated for the next code release date (11/20/2013) includes these key improvements to your game!
--List all planned "release notes" here--- some features & fixes subject to change

#185 6 years ago

Wow I just realised something

There is not enough The Hobbit or MMR for all of us if we decide not to buy NIB Stern's anymore

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Wow I just realised something
There is not enough The Hobbit or MMR for all of us if we decide not to buy NIB Stern's anymore

This is the mental illness that makes people throw thousands of dollars at games aren't even released yet. The market will never get better if you don't change this mindset.

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Not to mention a cloudy lower playfield window.

My window is just fine .

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

My window is just fine .

Man, I would have sworn it was cloudy...cause you can be such a meatball.

#189 6 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Borg doesn't write code, but I suppose you have a point that he could people's lives miserable at Stern until his products are finished. He has worked with Lyman for decades, so I think he trusts Lyman to do what is right with MET. No one is really sure what happened with the XM fiasco, other than all fingers point to Stern's corporate policy to pull the entire design team off any game once it's 1 month into production. That means little or no time given for street tests on games which should include feedback to address both mechanical and software issues. It truly is a process issue that Stern should address if they want to keep the good faith of customers and operators.

#190 6 years ago

Ok I even laughed at that one.

#191 6 years ago

How about going to your distributor and asking for a refund if the code on a new machine is not materially complete within 6 months from your delivery date?

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No, no, no.
Not even the same ball park. In fact, not even the same sport!
There is nothing *wrong* with MET's current code, other than not being complete. The initial code in XMen had so much wrong with it I wouldn't even know where to start (it wouldn't even keep score correctly). There is no comparison in my opinion.

I love pulp fiction quotes...

#193 6 years ago

Populist comments and movements rarely accomplish anything.

#194 6 years ago

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Ok I even laughed at that one.

I would rather be a meatball then a LIAR !

#195 6 years ago

I figured once JJP started shipping WOZ and proved they were another legitimate pinball producer that would motivate Stern to finish the code on most of the games and try to get them shipped near compete. But JJP hasn't been able to produce machines fast enough to really threaten the sales from Stern. Only thing Stern learned from JJP is they were pricing their machines too low. Maybe with PPL remaking MM and possibly some other games that will motivate Stern to put out finished games or at least complete them in a timely manner.

As many have said in the past the only way to show Stern is to quit buying NIB machines, however it's easier said then done since every time they announce a new game the hype train begins and everyone is on board again. I said after X-MEN I was done buying NIB until they make some changes and as hard as it has been I have held off over the past few releases.

I think Stern needs to quit worrying about the number of new titles they can make in a year and focus their efforts on finishing up some of the older games. The market has shifted to home collectors so complete code is more important now compared to just getting fresh titles out there every few months to make money on route regardless if the code is finished.

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I would rather be a meatball then a LIAR !

Is the scale Meatball>Douchebag>Liar<Lamp<Ac/Dc<TRON?

#197 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Populist comments and movements rarely accomplish anything.

...............so you're tellin' me there's a chance? YEAAAAAAH!!

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Is the scale Meatball>Douchebag>Liar<Lamp<Ac/Dc<TRON?

You never heard of Simon and Garfunklel ?

#199 6 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

You never heard of Simon and Garfunklel ?

Were they the 2 old guy muppets in the balcony? Those damn jokesters!

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Were they the 2 old guy muppets in the balcony? Those damn jokesters!

I love those guys! I have patterned my life after them. Grumpy old men watching from the rafters, bitching about everything, but laughing and making jokes 24/7.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Farmington, MO
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
There are 319 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside