5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Gryszzz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago

I am bringing two games this year. Not sure which ones yet. I can attest that Mike loves pinball and all the people that come to expo show it. Mike is trying to make the event better and I am hopeful that moving and expanding the free play area is a very good thing. Thank you!

Sure, it's a pain to move games to a show and make sure they keep working. I will continue to do that until the day I die because I love pinball as well. If I get paid, awesome. If not, I could care less because I am still going to spend most of my spare time on the hobby I like so much.

Every gaming show has it's problems. But with all things considered, expo is a good value in my honest opinion. I like the show and if you are someone that doesn't for whatever reason, it just tells me that you don't really like pinball that much. Otherwise, you would gladly overlook the problems and appreciate the pinball community that attends the event.

#52 5 years ago

Looking forward to it... I'll be bringing 1 or 2 again this year. (I wish I had an Escalara and a bigger truck.)

Been bringing at least 1 for the past 5 years. Generally I've been there Weds - Sun... sucks that we aren't allowed to use some of the closer entrances for load in/out... but that's the hotel's rules... not Mike's. (but with the sound of the room changes this year.. may be a non-issue)
    And I've never had an issue getting an armband or finding Mike.

As for security of someone walking off with a machine... that's what security camera's are for.
    (although, I do like the security of MGC's sign in/machine tag process)

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Are there any security measures to guarantee someone doesn't walk off with somebody else's game?

Well you need to be a part of the game stealers union and cart it a mile through. j/k

I wouldn't say there were over 100+ games last year. Not even half that in the game room. I won't nitpick about games that broke down, since things do break down(hey, it's pinball). Games with zero credits and no free-play mode happened. No volunteer to unlock the coin door & flick the credits up? That means others gravitate to available games, leading to lines & waits.

I'm seeing pictures of other game & arcade expos where pinball isn't the focus, and they dwarf Expo's free play area by several factors. Would have loved to play Spirit, and we saw a grouping of several Spirits at one show. I will soon find out when I go to Portland's Retro Gaming Expo next month. MGC has games spilling out into the hallways, basically turning the whole hotel floor into a monster sized arcade.

Chicago might be the heart of pinball, but the arteries moved the games elsewhere to other shows. Find out what incentives/securities/help/guarantees those shows are offering, and maybe adopt those methods. The deposit/rebate model might not work great if people can't find you at the end of Expo.

#54 5 years ago

yes I am working with AnDREW bArNEY on getting some one TO run game rooM . ALSO working with SKYPILOT on getting Spel chek on comPUTOR ... Unlike other shows we dont require pre notice to bring games because i find everyone including me changes games the yare bringing all the time ..So there is no list never has been I will post a list of SEVERAL games I know are coming for sure including 21 fro PHOEBE group...

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

MGC has games spilling out into the hallways, basically turning the whole hotel floor into a monster sized arcade.

Glad you brought that up because that is one specific reason I did not like this years MGC. I was a vendor there for 3 years in a row now and I don't know if I will be back next year.

Sure, the more games the better but man, they need a bigger venue if they want my business in the future.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

I wouldn't say there were over 100+ games last year.

Pinball News has the list of games in the show report.

74 in the game room, 69 in the exhibit hall. That isn't counting the tournament games, and others here and there.

LTG : )™

#57 5 years ago

LTG

Can you post the direct link. I can't find it.

#58 5 years ago

For those that can't make the Expo is there an virtual-pass for some of the sessions? You know, for viewing online?

#59 5 years ago

Link to Pinball News Article about Expo 2013:

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2013/index.html

I removed the game list because it's in the link above.

The people attending in my league are bringing some very good games to play. If those are the only games at the show, I will still have a blast.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tmezel:

LTG
    Can you post the direct link. I can't find it.

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2013/index.html about 3/4ths of the way down the page.

#61 5 years ago

Free Play room from last year:

Quoted from LTG:

Pinball News has the list of games in the show report.
    74 in the game room, 69 in the exhibit hall. That isn't counting the tournament games, and others here and there.

#62 5 years ago

That list is deceiving if you actually wanted to play pinball.

We would need to post the list of games that were not available for play in the exhibition hall and the list of non-operational games in the game hall for a more accurate picture.

Not being negative. Just trying to provide an accurate picture for fellow pinsiders that may be trying to decide where to spend $$$ and often limited travel time.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2013/index.html about 3/4ths of the way down the page.

I apologize, I wanted a list of this years games. Texas did a great job keeping the list updated before the show. Mike, can you post?

#64 5 years ago

Double post, trying to fix my grammar...

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

list of non-operational games in the game hall for a more accurate picture.

Yeah, a good portion of what was in the vendor hall was not actually available for play. Unless you were buying.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tmezel:

I apologize, I wanted a list of this years games.

I believe Mike already pointed out it isn't possible.

#68 5 years ago

I posted a list along time ago of Over 50 games coming from one person and about 20 from another... Will try to find it.. Sorry but we have never posted a list as Again people never seem to bring what they say as things change.. Sorry you feel ths way TMEZEL have you ever been to expo before?? CALL ME OK 330 5183141 lets discuss.. Most shows do not have a list before.. YES texas does.. WE every year have more vendors than any other show..

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tmezel:

That's a deal breaker for me.

I wish you'd reconsider. Any show runs into the problem of people going to bring a particular title, then they decide to bring another at the last second. Their transport breaks down. Etc. etc. Or they get help and bring more.

My Pinball Circus on a much smaller scale has usually from 5 to 17 extra games brought it. Not to mention ones coming and going. During the event.

I found it impossible to try and be accurate. Then multiple that by Expo's size, 10 times or greater. And the problem escalates.

Mike's once again busting his butt to make this the greatest Expo ever.

#70 5 years ago

If comparing our system for bringing games another situation we do different from other shows should be pointed out AT most all other shows If a game is for sale it cant leave until end of the day..we dont do this as I think is unfair to tell a BUYER he cant take game he buys right now or turn it off if he chooses.. this does cause some games to leave. early .ALso for those who bring games say WEDS and it sells say THURSDAY they already received a 5 day arm band FINE I dont take it back.... Last year also it rained on weds and thursday which did affect locals bringing games...It kinda come down to we really try to put on a good show but cant always please everyone.... And once again no other show is open all night like we are for 3 nights to play?? there are plus and minus for all shows..Every show helps promote the hobby..

#71 5 years ago

Dutch Pinball bringing something to this Expo?

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Not being negative

Seriously When have you ever been positive about anything,Especially Expo.

I sit on the sidelines and listen to all the horse shit that gets spewed by few and I continually become frustrated with the byproduct of this great forum.

This is my first time going to Expo,why, I'll tell you.
    I know Mike Pacak personally and have for several years now.
    I love this hobby, especially restorations (I'd feel the same way about playing if I didn't suck so bad).
    I've listened to Mike talk in great detail and length about pinball and especially Expo.The man is very passionate about this hobby/career/event. He has told me of the 29,yes 29 years he and Rob Berk have put on this show. The ups the downs ,the logistics, ( hauling his collection from Northwest Ohio to Chicago) ,the politics,dealing with the hotel ,Stern,Pinball Life, His many friend and sometime not so much friends, the tourney's ,the speakers,the odd requests,the promises ,the help,the favors,the people freeloading(sneaking in) the expectations...shall I go on?

I realize that Mike is not the most polished or articulate man on this forum but his intentions are that of someone who wishes to share in the hobby and make it better. He has gone out of his way for me many times when I needed something in my restorations.

He has instilled in me the excitement of going to the pinball homeland,Chicago . I'm going to tour the Stern factory,I'm going to hopefully meet LLoyd,Dennis ,Greg,Steve,George,Gary, Kevin,Pat...shall I go on.

I'm going to sit in on speakers, I'm going to meet Robin and a whole slew of great Pinsiders who have helped me learn to restore these great machines. ..shallI go on?

I'm going to have a few cocktails ,play some pinball,talk to suppliers, buy some parts ,maybe another pinball machine (like I need more ) In other word I'm going to enjoy myself.

Mike has worked very hard to try to accommodate everyone in this community to the best of his ability. Opening and extending the playing area hours was a request that came from here last year and is now happening . He continues to try to get more games there for the "players" also. Keep in mind this is a very unique show with a very unique venue. There's is a lot of things going on here not just free play game. So for those of you who wish to compare it to other shows ,don't, its apples and oranges.

With that said to my many friends I see at Expo,Cheers.

As for those of you who are not completely satisfied with every one of you many ,many opinions,wishes expectations, Stay home your not going to have fun there anyway.

Regards, Keith

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Dutch Pinball bringing something to this Expo?

Bop2.0
    TBL

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Glad you brought that up because that is one specific reason I did not like this years MGC. I was a vendor there for 3 years in a row now and I don't know if I will be back next year.

Sure, the more games the better but man, they need a bigger venue if they want my business in the future.

Sorry for a diversion, but...

But sorry that you feel the MGC is too big. Our option is to continue to try to make things work or shut things down. Based on response we've had so far, for every one person like you that decides they would rather we be a smaller show, we have five more that want to make us grow.

I'd venture to bet that no other show has been as involved with local politics to try to get a bigger venue built than us, but we can't perform magic. Based on what I know is going on with that, the fact that there *are no larger venues where we can move to for a reasonable cost within 50 miles of us*, and the fact that I probably had 100 people contact me immediately after last year's show wanting to make 2015 even bigger and better (which, for the record, I always take people up on because I figure this is everyone's show, not mine, so why turn awesome stuff down?), I'm sorry that this attitude may mean that you'll no longer be interested in vending at our show. We're excited to see how it grows for next year, but I'm not willing to tell hundreds of people that are excited to grow the show and show more stuff that we need to shrink it to better fit our venue.

Gary and I call ourselves "enablers". We "enable" people to make the MGC into the best show that they can. We understand that some people like a smaller more intimate show, and we try to provide opportunities for that at our show, but I also know that we'll never please everyone, and I'm okay with that.

As for Expo, if it wasn't always when it was in October, I'd bring a game. Seriously, October is the worst month of the year for me for actually doing anything...

#75 5 years ago

I think there is a reason that the games are depleting from the game room. Last year was the worst year for turnout. The hobby isn't that big. You can't get in big arguments and fights with people that have a lot to do with the hobby. When you do that, your support diminishes quickly. I think you need to make amends with those you fight with, and things will be on course to improve.

#76 5 years ago

really? go over to the tournament area and count the number of players in the main division and classics. find out how many fly in for the tourney or drive long distances. when tourneys like expo and papa give away thousands in prizes, its worth the travel. little hometown tourneys that give away small amounts or no money is a bit different.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Very few go just for the tourneys.
    Do the tourney guys even need to pay an entry fee to expo since games are in the hallway?

#77 5 years ago

#78 5 years ago

#79 5 years ago

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

yes I am working with AnDREW bArNEY

LOL. Yep, I'm sure that's exactly how he would like his name printed here. May I suggest *Andrew Barney* as a possible replacement? Is your caps lock broken, stuck, possessed, or otherwise?

Take a quick look back at your posts in this thread and ask yourself if you have generated any empathy or not.

Scott

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Sorry for a diversion, but...
    But sorry that you feel the MGC is too big. Our option is to continue to try to make things work or shut things down. Based on response we've had so far, for every one person like you that decides they would rather we be a smaller show, we have five more that want to make us grow.
    I'd venture to bet that no other show has been as involved with local politics to try to get a bigger venue built than us, but we can't perform magic. Based on what I know is going on with that, the fact that there *are no larger venues where we can move to for a reasonable cost within 50 miles of us*, and the fact that I probably had 100 people contact me immediately after last year's show wanting to make 2015 even bigger and better (which, for the record, I always take people up on because I figure this is everyone's show, not mine, so why turn awesome stuff down?), I'm sorry that this attitude may mean that you'll no longer be interested in vending at our show. We're excited to see how it grows for next year, but I'm not willing to tell hundreds of people that are excited to grow the show and show more stuff that we need to shrink it to better fit our venue.
    Gary and I call ourselves "enablers". We "enable" people to make the MGC into the best show that they can. We understand that some people like a smaller more intimate show, and we try to provide opportunities for that at our show, but I also know that we'll never please everyone, and I'm okay with that.
    As for Expo, if it wasn't always when it was in October, I'd bring a game. Seriously, October is the worst month of the year for me for actually doing anything...

Did you read my post? I read yours two times to make sure I fully understand.

When did I say I thought the show was too big? It's already twice as big as that building should really hold. It's way too "crowded".

Don't get me wrong here, in some ways I actually like that cramped feeling with games everywhere.. but this year changed my mind somewhat.

The vendors were put in a tent in the parking lot this year. I wish the VENUE was twice as big. The show is great, it just needs a bigger venue. It took me an hour to navigate to and use the bathroom this year. Tournaments were in hallways... Having 40 people in a very small hallway playing and watching a tournament is the worst organizing I have ever seen at a show in my entire life. At one point I had to walk a quarter mile around the building in the rain to get back to the vendor area.

Are the people there great? Yes. Is the show great? Yes. Will I bring my goods to the show to sell again hoping another hurricane-like rainstorm doesn't ruin it all in the parking lot? I am not so sure about that one.

I just feel like the vendors got the shaft. If you can't move to a bigger venue, maybe don't have vendors next year, I would still come to MGC because I love it. I just don't know about bringing things there to sell.

I am an honest guy and cut right to the point. Don't you agree that the biggest show isn't necessarily the best show?

Specifically regarding your "no other show has been as involved with local politics to try to get a bigger venue built than us"---> ever hear about a show called PhillyClassic? They wanted to be the biggest, best classic gaming show ever and they aren't around any longer because the biggest show they ever had (their last one) sucked. It was EXACTLY for the reasons of bringing in local political entities along with big gaming businesses ($Money$). I would hate to see others make the same mistakes they made.

I am sure the average person attending didn't mind the crowds, and didn't share exactly the same experiences that I did. Carry on then.

Now, lets all move on with how to make things better at pinball expo. MGC is next year, expo is next month. I am with skypilot on this one! He made some great points as well.

#82 5 years ago

COLORDMD'S OFFER TO HELP GET MORE GAMES TO EXPO!!!

Over the past two years, we've been offering incentives to get more games to shows. This helps out the venue while also helping us to share some of the cool things we've done. So here's our offer...

Bring a game to Expo with a ColorDMD in it and we'll provide a $50 discount off the cost of the display or a future display purchase!

This is in addition to whatever Mike's offering. If you've been thinking about buying a new display and would like to take us up on this offer, please send an email to info@colordmd.com.

Randy

#83 5 years ago

Hey Randy of colorDMD, we have *every one* of the DMD games with your color displays showcased at the VFW pinball show! Any chance we could get that $50 discount on the new Indy Jones display???

It's really difficult for nearly all shows to list the games that will be there. In fact it's probably unrealistic to expect that, unless it's the promoter that is actually bring said games. People change their minds all the time, for a variety of reasons, as to what game(s) they will bring.

About the only show that i know of that has an accurate game list is our show ( http://vfwpinball.com/?page_id=244 ). And the *only* reason that happens is because the games are already set up at the facility, so there's 100% accuracy. I can't think of another show that has that ability. (But our show is weird in that way.)

to be honest, I almost don't want a game list ahead of time for most shows. The "surprise factor" is always a nice thing to me. Now a total game count, that would be helpful to know ahead. But the actual titles, i would rather be surprised! But i know that's kind of weird...

#84 5 years ago

Last year i took Friday off work went early afternoon trying to beat crowd i guess i did because there was nobody there! ,left without playing one game or talking to any vendors or buying anything

#85 5 years ago

I attended both the Expo and Pinball Life Open House last year, both are great times if you are in the hobby. However, I would like to see the registration process updated to where I can register for the Pinball Expo online, instead of the mail. Also, a lot of the machines were either turned off or nonfunctional late Friday, early Saturday morning. It was a huge letdown considering what I paid to attend both days of the show.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

really? go over to the tournament area and count the number of players in the main division and classics. find out how many fly in for the tourney or drive long distances. when tourneys like expo and papa give away thousands in prizes, its worth the travel. little hometown tourneys that give away small amounts or no money is a bit different.

roughly 120 people last year that possibly came in for the tournament as their main reason...

I think that is a small number compared to the total that attend expo, but not sure?

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Seriously When have you ever been positive about anything,Especially Expo.
    I sit on the sidelines and listen to all the horse shit that gets spewed by few and I continually become frustrated with the byproduct of this great forum.
    Keith

I was super positive before I went my first time. I was less positive after the 2nd.

I was lied to by Mike at the 3rd (I showed up on Thursday late in evening, asked if Pred was available to see and was told yes, paid $50 for wife and I to enter and Pred was not even on the floor, went back and asked for refund and was told NO refund because I had gone in the door). I know of other similar stories which have left a bad taste and I feel it is the resposible thing to do to help others temper their expectations back to reality before spending bug bucks and vacation time on travel.

I hope the trend changes this year but i think the demise is largely due to Mike himself.

If you want positive, then I am positively excited that he is letting others run more things! If this show is going to get back to its glory days then I am positive it is time for some new blood to come in to keep things running and PR the expo.
    I am super stoked for all the boutique manufacturers and the ability to interact with these super smart guys and check out their great games. I am really excited to check out the new Stern TWD game.

Reality check >> If I did not live within a 2hr drive, the above things are likely not worth the cost of the trip to me.

By all means, go to expo and have a blast! It WILL be a blast, but that is in spite of the many issues with the show and because of all the amazing people that step in to make it all happen (i.e. people that bring games despite the hassle and less than proper treatment in years past, the game makers that are bringing prototypes and sitting with them for hours and going hoarse talking to people, pinball life for running a sweet event to add more incentive to travel to Chicago, Stern for doing a factory tour, etc...) and the new friends to meet and party with.

#88 5 years ago

Just think, if pinball expo and others vendors (no names mentioned) could have came to an agreement, there would be more pins @ at expo and not @ the private parties.
    Im just sayin
    JT

#89 5 years ago

I have a question about timing and length of stay as this isn't clear to me.

If I bring a game Thursday morning and pull it Saturday night (as I can't make it back on Sunday) can I get a wristband on Thursday when I show up with the game? Also will there be help loading and unloading at times other than Wednesday night and Sunday?

Thanks and just need to clarify as this was not my experience in years past

#90 5 years ago

You guys should also check out SFGE in Atlanta for 2015. They pre-published a list of games, had a good security system for them, and the loading area was a reserved area of the parking lot right outside the door to the free play room.

Still go to expo, but also consider SFGE as well.

#91 5 years ago

I am planning on bringing 14 games, mostly classic Bally/Stern with a few other games tossed in, will post a list just before I leave for the show.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

I am planning on bringing 14 games, mostly classic Bally/Stern with a few other games tossed in, will post a list just before I leave for the show.

Wow Brian....incredible! I look forward to seeing what you bring.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

Brian,
    Thank you for being so generous, and sharing.

#94 5 years ago

People like Phoebe and Brian I hope don't have to pay a dime for their Expo passes. In fact, I hope they get a little extra perk for bringing that many games. Awesome.

#95 5 years ago

Phoebe and Larry are amazing in all respects. I am fortunate to know and play with them in our local league, been to their Pinball home many times. They take 7-10 games to Expo and to other shows in our area every year, they do it simply because they love the hobby and want to share their games with others. They work like crazy getting those games ready, loaded, unloaded and keep them running at the shows which really puts a lot of stress on them being turned on continuously for so long. I am sure Brian/DrJoe is the same. God bless them and safe travels..

#96 5 years ago

My friends and I from Festus Mo will be bringing several games. I'm taking a restored Mata Hari. Always look forward to Expo. It's like Christmas, you never know what goodies are there.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jamaster10:

Just think, if pinball expo and others vendors (no names mentioned) could have came to an agreement, there would be more pins @ at expo and not @ the private parties.
    Im just sayin
    JT

I said it last year and I will say it again every time this is mentioned. I support the private party. I support expo. They are both pinball and they are both cool. If people don't support one or the other, that is their choice and that's fine as well. Let's not try to focus on folks that choose not to come to any particular anything. They call that free will. I certainly don't want to hang out with a bunch of "angry that they even came here at all" people.

#98 5 years ago

Congrats to Mike & Rob, and everyone involved for 30 years. That is awesome.

We're planning on bringing about 8-10 games up from Louisville. We'll post a list on pinside sometime soon. Been to expo on and off since the Ramada days in the nineties, and it's always a good time. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

#99 5 years ago

This is one of the reason i don't come on Pinside that much anymore...Its turning into RPG.

Mike does a great job with expo every year!! The logistics of the show are overwhelming. There are 40 people at all times needing something , wanting something for free, or needing a wristband for there 4 buddies helping them bring in 1 game.

My favorite quote was the guy saying Expo is on the decline....REALLY???? TRY TO GET A ROOM!!! Many nights have been sold out for a month!!

Go and have a GOOD time, leave the drama FOr YO MAMA

#100 5 years ago

Great to hear some positive input, and looking forward to playing some Pinball!!

Yup, 30 years is an amazing accomplishment. No show is perfect, but overall, I think Mike & Rob have done a pretty good job keeping it going. In a way, a lot of shows have learned from Expo's mistakes and have become better for it.

I remember back in about 1990 (or so) getting scoffed at for bringing a World Cup Soccer. It became worth it though, when Steve Kordek spent some time playing, commenting and thanking me for bringing it. I miss those old-school guys, and they're disappearing every year. Expo's not going to last forever. Forget the drama, and let's enjoy it while we can!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    £ 32.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 199.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 149.00
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Filament Printing
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 214.99
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside