1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by sd_tom
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 1 year ago

Our Swiss startup symsala.com is currently preparing a crowd funding campaign.

A few weeks ago we've decided to start with the platform www.indiegogo.com

Because of our pretty large Swiss networks, we are rather optimistic, to succeed in getting the intended $150,000.

However, a backer asked us yesterday, "how do you ensure to get the whole amount at the end of the day, transparent and verifiable".

This critical question let us ask ourselves, who to contact "behind" the platform Indiegogo, in case of questionableness and concerns.

All we found is the information, that the company is somewhere in California. Nothing else, no management team information, no address, no legal entity details.

Just an anonymous contact form: https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=45336

Thus our questions:
Is it common practice in the U.S., do offer services via Internet that way, "masked" so to say?
Are we too leery, too distrustful?
Do you have access to registers to find out about the legal ownership of a Internet business?

Non-anonymous many thanks for your wise advice!!!

Kurt
CH-5637 Beinwil
Switzerland
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kurt-wehrli-4219b1b/
Profile: http://sitic.org/team-3/

#2 1 year ago

I think your question here is reasonable. I tend to try and not do business with people I am not familiar with and until we establish some sort of relationship I am very hesitant. I hate it when companies like that have no direct contact outside of a web form (Yes I understand they are an online company but still does it really cost that much to have a support person maintaining the phones?). In regards to the question about "how do you ensure you get the whole amount" I think the answer here is, you don't. If memory serves these crowd funding companies take a percentage of what you raise as payment for you using their platform. So more to your question in the event that something happens and you guys don't get paid who can you talk to. From what I can tell the only thing is a support page that you can fill out a form.

Thus our questions:
Is it common practice in the U.S., do offer services via Internet that way, "masked" so to say?

In general, I would say most companies here that have an online presence have some other way to get in contact with them

I don't Think so, again if it is someone I don't know until I can verify them through other sources or in person to some degree then I tend to stay away.

Do you have access to registers to find out about the legal ownership of a Internet business?

That I do not know the answer to. We could see who registered the domain and then track people down from there but, I'm not sure if that would get you enough.

Quoted from KurtWehrli:

Our Swiss startup symsala.com is currently preparing a crowd funding campaign.
A few weeks ago we've decided to start with the platform www.indiegogo.com
Because of our pretty large Swiss networks, we are rather optimistic, to succeed in getting the intended $150,000.
However, a backer asked us yesterday, "how do you ensure to get the whole amount at the end of the day, transparent and verifiable".
This critical question let us ask ourselves, who to contact "behind" the platform Indiegogo, in case of questionableness and concerns.
All we found is the information, that the company is somewhere in California. Nothing else, no management team information, no address, no legal entity details.
Just an anonymous contact form: https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=45336
Thus our questions:
Non-anonymous many thanks for your wise advice!!!
Kurt
CH-5637 Beinwil
Switzerland
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kurt-wehrli-4219b1b/
Profile: http://sitic.org/team-3/

#3 1 year ago

I got something from an Indiegogo crowdfund project and had no issues getting the product I donated for but that was quite a bit smaller venture. I will say they are pretty prominent in the crowdfunding world and pretty well known but I too would question the companies lack of a clear presence other than the website. Something this large I might tend to go with the more prominent channels like KickStarter or GoFundme but not sure if they have a more up front and accessible business presence.

#4 1 year ago

Great darcangeloel, thanks a lot !!!

Please drop me an email-address to

kurt.wehrli@symsala.com

or to

kurt.wehrli@gmail.com

and you will get a "thank you" from Amazon

#5 1 year ago

Great homebrood, thanks a lot as well !!!

KickStarter is the very same story; all I could find out: they are in New York City.

Please drop me an email-address to

kurt.wehrli@symsala.com

or to

kurt.wehrli@gmail.com

and you will get a thank you from Amazon like darcangeloel

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from homebrood:

channels like KickStarter or GoFundme

Actually https://www.gofundme.com/about-us is setting an example, great

#7 1 year ago

Gosh!

I have to bother you once more.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/business/indiegogo.html

Can we rely on these reviews or are they biased for whatever reasons?

#8 1 year ago

Kurt,

I've run a number of fund raising campaigns through Gofundme and have found the company to be very transparent and easy to communicate with. The transaction cost is around 8% of the total raised. The funds can be withdrawn at any time regardless of the final goal being met.

I don't know what your business model is, but if gofundme fits, I'd have no issues recommending the company.

Best wishes,

Rody

#9 1 year ago

Boy that is a ton if negative reviews, gofundme seems to have a large amount of successful usage. As long as you don't use kick starter I'll be happy. I'm still angry with them about the whole peachy printer situation. That company got almost 1.5 million in funding from backers and then delivered nothing except videos explaining about how one of their team members stole most of the money to build a house.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/117421627/the-peachy-printer-the-first-100-3d-printer-and-sc

Quoted from KurtWehrli:

Gosh!
I have to bother you once more.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/business/indiegogo.html
Can we rely on these reviews or are they biased for whatever reasons?

#10 1 year ago

Okay, thanks again!!

"one of their team members stole …" that's really bad news for the worthwhile social approach to invest money directly.

I guess - based on your very helpful comments - we look now deeper into gofundme.

#11 1 year ago

I'm getting more and more irritated.

A tricky(?) statement in T&C?

"9. Your Intellectual Property
Your User Content remains your property and is protected, without limitation, pursuant to U.S. and foreign copyright and other intellectual property laws.
When you submit User Content to the Site or via the Services, you agree to the following terms:
a. You allow us to use User Content. You grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable, right to use, exercise, commercialize, and exploit the copyright, publicity, trademark, and database rights with respect to User Content.
…"

To me that sounds like a contradiction:
On the one hand, my property remains my property. On the other hand, the funding platform could, for example, take our logo and reuse or even sell it???

Is my interpretation correct?

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from KurtWehrli:

Your User Content remains your property and is protected, without limitation, pursuant to U.S. and foreign copyright and other intellectual property laws.
When you submit User Content to the Site or via the Services, you agree to the following terms:
a. You allow us to use User Content. You grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable, right to use, exercise, commercialize, and exploit the copyright, publicity, trademark, and database rights with respect to User Content.
…"

On the one hand, my property remains my property. On the other hand, the funding platform could, for example, take our logo and reuse or even sell it???

#13 1 year ago

The way I read this is, you as a company keep any IP that you do not use on their site. If you use any IP on their site they have the right to use it as they see fit in perpetuity and with no fees paid to you and your company. My bet is they force everyone to sign this not to use your IP perse but so that if they want to provide examples of companies using their site they can do so without any fees and lawsuits. Just my thought anyway.

Quoted from KurtWehrli:

…"

#14 1 year ago

indiegogo is a Kickstarter competitor. they are both 'well known' here. its for people raising money for making produo

I've only heard of gofundme used for actually giving people money to support them in more social cause situations..i.e. donations / you don't get anything in return.

if you want people to be able to find your startup and give you money in return for pre ordering a product.. the biggest players (most eyeballs) are kickstarter and indiegogo.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 219.00
£ 58.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.00
$ 209.99
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 12.99
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 6,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 150.00
Playfield - Protection
Republic Of Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside