Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by blondetall
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trainwreck (resized).jpg
    zipper1 (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

So I was watching James May as the re-assembler on you tube (awesome show) and he said something really interesting, he started trowing all the bolts to an old push mower into a box. Well I was a mechanic and could always identify this while pulling down parts off a car and I'm sure most of you have recognized this with pins. Pinball machines are mostly designed with parts that will only fit one way and aren't interchangeable for the most part, keyed connectors, screw lengths, directional brackets and so on. He said the Japanese have a word for that and its Yuiitsu, but when I researched it it really doesn't fit the description (https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-Japanese-word-for-it-only-fits-one-way) and its not an singular American word. Ok I'm a '79 baby and consider myself the last year for Gen-X, not trying to be a douche millennial lol but we need this word! All I can think of is Zipper? Remember it has to be American as pinball

zipper1 (resized).jpgzipper1 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

The definition of this word will be "only fits one way" ~ Zippers all I got, and it fits lol.

#3 7 years ago

For connectors I guess that would be "keyed".

#4 7 years ago

Its got to encompass the whole shebang not just connectors but your right there, you know how you can take every screw out of a complicated pin and throw them all in a tumbler then each one only fits in a certain location...there's something zen about that and all the pins I've worked on have been like that with almost every part, like there's no guess work you know what I mean?

#6 7 years ago

I think that's pretty good certainly better than zipper lol, but reminds me of the SNL gay duo cartoon lol I'm not the judge here i'll go with the majority on this!

#8 7 years ago

It has to invoke Fitment, Unmistakable, Reliable, Sensible, I'm probably the worst person to help on this my grammar skills are just horrible but I have a good vocabulary. I just want to say Abides but I ain't the Dude lol.

#10 7 years ago

Self Documenting? And like in software development the readability depends on who is reading.

#11 7 years ago

It has to be a single word otherwise you might as well just say the definition right "only fits one way" or "everything has its place" something like that you guys get it...how bout we just say Q-Bert...it's all Q-Bert man lol

#12 7 years ago

Placey

#13 7 years ago

Precision!!

#15 7 years ago

I think the word is "keyed", as mentioned above.

Just as a connector is keyed, so can other parts be "keyed" to go in just one way.

#16 7 years ago

That's good but just dosen't sound right, Precise when talking about an object? But you can you say its all Percise, yea right!

#17 7 years ago

I was hopeing for something new, I'm liking Placey lol But I'm pretty sure its Precise. This whole pin has percise components. But that doesn't really invoke that you cant mix them up?

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from spiroagnew:

I think the word is "keyed", as mentioned above.
    Just as a connector is keyed, so can other parts be "keyed" to go in just one way.

No offense but A(merican)B(utt)C(anadian) out of this one It's hard enough you guys have been distorting out culture for centuries lol

#19 7 years ago

I'm still liking Placey who's with me!

#21 7 years ago

That's what James May said not Yuiitsu I didn't get it and I'm not a redneck I practically grew up in DC lol, but that's still Japanese! We need a singular American or I'll take an England-English word but 1 word man!!! But that is the definition for sure!

#22 7 years ago

Poka-yoke [poka yoke] is a Japanese term that means "mistake-proofing" or “inadvertent error prevention”. The key word in the second translation, often omitted, is "inadvertent". There is no Poka Yoke solution that protects against an operator’s sabotage, but sabotage is a rare behavior among people.[1] A poka-yoke is any mechanism in a lean manufacturing process that helps an equipment operator avoid (yokeru) mistakes (poka). Its purpose is to eliminate product defects by preventing, correcting, or drawing attention to human errors as they occur.[2] The concept was formalised, and the term adopted, by Shigeo Shingo as part of the Toyota Production System.[3][4] It was originally described as baka-yoke, but as this means "fool-proofing" (or "idiot-proofing") the name was changed to the milder poka-yoke.

#23 7 years ago

like infallible ?

#24 7 years ago

this is a silly thread. A dude shooting down others terms, for a situation he can't describe, all the while making up his own terms which he admits are less applicable. But it's cool, he's a gen x'er and not a douche millennial. Lol

#25 7 years ago

I've described the situation perfectly if you actually take the time to read the whole thread, just let us northern's handle it you know we rule this nation It's when you don't have to worry about the placement of things because they will all fit back together only one way and you cant screw it up.

#26 7 years ago

2 years ago we had "Minty" and last year we had "Choggarded" what will this year bring?

#27 7 years ago

I think Infallible is it, minty has been around for decades and nobody I've ever talked to has ever said choggarded I don't know where you got that from? That's that nonsensical millennial separatist stuff I'm trying to avoid lol.

#28 7 years ago

I disagree that pinball parts are designed to only fit one way. Many will "fit" in the wrong location.

Your question has been answered. Poka-yoke is exactly what you've described.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

I think Infallible is it, minty has been around for decades and nobody I've ever talked to has ever said choggarded I don't know where you got that from? That's that nonsensical millennial separatist stuff I'm trying to avoid lol.

Never failing? I don't think so!

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

2 years ago we had "Minty" and last year we had "Choggarded" what will this year bring?

Quoted from shlockdoc:

We are being Gorfed.

Anyone second the motion for GORFED?

#31 7 years ago

Poka-yoke is not an American term excuse me for not wanting to tarnish our great heritage with a packinko producing country's words, I'm looking for an American term to describe just that in one word! Have some freaking pride in our great country.

And yea your totally right infallible is way off for pinball lol

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

nobody I've ever talked to has ever said choggarded I don't know where you got that from? That's that nonsensical millennial separatist stuff I'm trying to avoid lol.

I stand corrected the Choggard situation goes back several years, time flys on Pinside!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-story-of-my-first-pin-entitled-how-i-got-choggarded
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/got-choggared-by-a-guy-in-rock-island#post-1969653

#33 7 years ago

Choggard chode what the difference, it has to make some reasonable sense.

#34 7 years ago

It's when you deconstruct something and don't have to worry about the placement of things because they will all fit back together only one way and you cant screw it up when reconstructing that thing (in this case a pinball machine). We need 1 American word for that?

#35 7 years ago

indefectible

Fail-proof, infalliable, surefire, goofproof

#37 7 years ago

Nice I like that way to go Pinballew! Indefectible has to be it! I've never seen any situation tearing apart 5 machines ranging from '31, '77, '79, '86 & '91 where common sense wouldn't dictate where the part, harness, connector ,bolt, fine thread stud ect would go. All connectors are keyed and have varied lash on the harnesses but you would be a fool not to mark them if a key were to fall out or something as a back up, but you don't have to.

#38 7 years ago

Nobody is going to drive a fine thread stud into a wooden hole on a pf, or take a tall post and band it with a short star post, they only fit one way. I like Unofit but it has a universal undertone it needs to be more definite lol, so far Indefectible has my vote totally and it sounds original and very sensible to me!

#39 7 years ago

Indefectible - when you deconstruct something and don't have to worry about keeping track of the placement of the parts because it will all fit back together only one way.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

northern's handle it you know we rule this nation

Yeah, uh...clearly that isn't the case or.. <leaves the thread>

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

this is a silly thread. A dude shooting down others terms, for a situation he can't describe, all the while making up his own terms which he admits are less applicable. But it's cool, he's a gen x'er and not a douche millennial. Lol

Agreed. And let's not ignore the heaping doses of xenophobia that are being served up here, too. Because you have to be American to participate. I'll bow out.

Quoted from gmkalos:

No offense but A(merican)B(utt)C(anadian) out of this one It's hard enough you guys have been distorting out culture for centuries lol

Quoted from gmkalos:

Poka-yoke is not an American term excuse me for not wanting to tarnish our great heritage with a packinko producing country's words, I'm looking for an American term to describe just that in one word! Have some freaking pride in our great country.
    And yea your totally right infallible is way off for pinball lol

#42 7 years ago

Oh, and for the record, no matter what the word ends up being, it still won't be applicable to this thread, because it's already fallen apart and broken beyond repair LMAO.

#43 7 years ago

For the record Pinside is not an "American" website so asking to use only American terms is pretty silly.

#44 7 years ago

No it's called taking pride in our country's accomplishment of creating the thing were trying to define, and your track record for butchering the English language as a whole is laughable, and again its called pride in our nation our do you want someone like Gary Stern to chime in.

And texas your stigma has been written for years how them donkeys lol.

#45 7 years ago

I'm asking for an American term for an American invented machine, whats so wrong with that obviously we had none? Or did you read one so far??? other than Indefectible which I'm lovin!

Indefectible - when you deconstruct something and don't have to worry about keeping track of the placement of the parts because it will all fit back together only one way.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

No it's called taking pride in our country's accomplishment of creating the thing were trying to define, and your track record for butchering the English language as a whole is laughable, and again its called pride in our nation our do you want someone like Gary Stern to chime in.
    And texas your stigma has been written for years how them donkeys lol.

You are referencing a British show, a thought and design process that has a specific name by the Japanese and you are taking offense to not having an American word for it? Wow

#47 7 years ago

Do you want some of the designers to chime in I wish they would they obviously know what they were doing all those decades. I already know what Gary Stern would say!!!

#48 7 years ago

No I'm referencing a situation on an American made item dude or cant you understand that? It has every right to be defined.

#49 7 years ago

And defined with a logical American single word just like everything else in the Dictionary!!!

#50 7 years ago

No one has any pride anymore lets just give everyone our culture and let them distort it to their likeness, its repulsive be decisive and mean what you say not just blurt out nonsensical bs because your too lazy to educate yourself in any manor.

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-need-a-new-word-in-pinball?hl=shootthepyramid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.