Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_20170110_00_37_18_Saved_Picture (resized).jpg
    marvin (resized).jpg
    Marvins (resized).jpg
    Marvin snake (resized).jpg
    Marvin Cardiff Man (resized).jpg
    20160818_195843 (resized).jpg
    There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

RIP Marvin. Whenever I go over to Metro Detroit Marvin's was always on the list to stop at. Such an amazing collection of stuff. Never met the man, but sounds like a wonderful person.

#52 7 years ago

condolences to his family.

#53 7 years ago

I met Marvin many years ago at a trade show in Las Vegas. A guy you just had to like. Not a mean bone in his body. Used to send me
    a cream medicine from the drug store when my neck would hurt me. I sold him machines over the years and would call him 3 or 4 times a year just to say hello. His lady friend is also a very nice person as is his family. Marvin there has to be a special place in heaven for you.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Tour of Marvins a few years back. A better person I have never met.
    » YouTube video

Wonderful video! Place looks like so much fun.
    R.I.P.

#55 7 years ago

RIP.
    A wonderful man I've never had the pleasure of meeting with a wonderful vision that shared his dreams and enthusiasm with all the world.

Here's a quarter for you, Marvin. May it make all puppets dance, all machines moves, and every child under the sun smile thanks to you.

#56 7 years ago

R.I.P Marvin. Although we never met, I truly understand your passion.

May his family have peace during this difficult time.

Chris

#57 7 years ago

RIP. Very sad to hear.

#59 7 years ago

Very sad news. Went to MMMM first time last year. Very unique place. You can tell the owner's heart was imprinted all over the walls.

RIP and condolences to his family.

#60 7 years ago

He will be missed.....I always sat and talked with Marvin when I saw him. He knew my uncle very well which I never knew.

Marvin was very smart ....he was also a Pharmacist. Very Generous as well. A friend of mine passed away a few years back and when he was in college he couldn't afford his last year, so he worked for Marvin and in return Marvin paid for his last year of College. Not too many people would do something like that.

He loved talking about new games he just brought in....A kid at Heart but a Gentleman through and through!

#61 7 years ago

Rest in Peace

#62 7 years ago

Met Mr. Marvin a few years back at the Mechanical Museum. He ran a great little place; the family had a blast with the coin-op marvels. Another member of our hobby who will be missed dearly.

#63 7 years ago

Sad news. Never met him, but would like to visit his museum in the future. RIP Marvin.

#64 7 years ago

Too bad !!!

Also in Germany he had a large fan community and people are thankfull for his great webside with all its hints !

We will miss him !!

Tom

#65 7 years ago

He was unique and original, a larger than life character who fully reveled in discovering all the joy and fun life had to offer.

RIP - Marvin

#66 7 years ago

I'm assuming the Pinside Header has gone to black and white for Marvin past couple days. If so, very classy of pinside to do this. I saw this last year for the Treasure cove guy as well. I think this is a neat thing to do when we lose a pinball hero, or someone that mad a difference in our industry.

#67 7 years ago

First time I got to smell that NIB pinball smell was at Marvins.

Was fortunate to talk with him on a few occasions over the years and EVERY TIME his passion and genuine love for people and his machines showed. It was not a "shtick" or gimmick, he was the real deal and its true, the world is a little less marvelous today...

FB_20170110_00_37_18_Saved_Picture (resized).jpgFB_20170110_00_37_18_Saved_Picture (resized).jpg

#68 7 years ago

Thank you Marvin!
    I never got to go, but I stumbled onto his videos years ago. Such a cool place/guy.

#69 7 years ago

What a cool place. Never got to see it but happy it will continue. Condolences to his family as he seemed like a fun guy even though I never met him personally, just in videos.

#70 7 years ago

He was a genius. Truly one of a kind.

#71 7 years ago

This makes me so sad. I really would have liked to have met him. My wife and I plan to visit on an upcoming trip to MI. God be close to his family and friends.

#72 7 years ago

I forgot Tally Hall's last webisode featured Marvin.
    https://vimeo.com/59635294
    It focuses on the man more than the place.

Edit: When I linked the video, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!

5 months later
    #73 6 years ago

I was thinking over the last few months how cool it would be to have a place like marvins here in California. It would be a labor of love.

#74 6 years ago

Now that the thread came up again it reminds me in the old days how many times I went to marvin3m.com to get to the listings for Clay's old repair guides.

#75 6 years ago

I thought it would be very cool to have something like this here in Los Angeles. I bet a resourceful person could make it work. It could be like a dream. But I know my future is going to be mobile helping people as I get better here in Los Angeles. Still, if someone opened something like this here. I think it could work. It is the city of the Angels.

#76 6 years ago

I got to talk to Marvin when I went there my one time. I do wish I had got a picture with him.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Now that the thread came up again it reminds me in the old days how many times I went to marvin3m.com to get to the listings for Clay's old repair guides.

I agree, the marvin3m guides were my first exposure to pinball repair. I keep hoping Clay will bring them back. While Pinwiki has done a nice job, I always enjoyed and got a lot of thorough information from Clay's guides. I had printed a few of them years ago when I was doing some traveling for work so I had something to read. I'm glad I kept those hard copies.

#78 6 years ago

Why aren't Clays guides available anymore?

#79 6 years ago

I've been following Otaku & Nic.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I thought it would be very cool to have something like this here in Los Angeles. I bet a resourceful person could make it work. It could be like a dream. But I know my future is going to be mobile helping people as I get better here in Los Angeles. Still, if someone opened something like this here. I think it could work. It is the city of the Angels.

There is something like it in Long Beach:
    http://thetimewarp.com/
    Also, search for more pics posted on Facebook if you have an account there.

#81 6 years ago

Marvin repair guides live at http://www.pinrepair.com
    The reason for their removal from the marvin website was due to someone feeding marvin self-promoting information, telling him that they were "bad" (and that my management of the marvin3m.com website was poor.) Gee i guess creating the most popular pinball website in the WORLD wasn't good for marvin. Sure thing.... (and then that person took control of the marvin3m web site...) Hence all the repair and game information hosted on the marvin website was scrubbed from his site and moved to pinrepair.com. I would have liked to leave all that info on the marvin3m website, it seemed very appropriate there and certainly helped draw attention to marvin's place. But marvin's strength (his acceptance and love) was also his weakness, and people would constantly manipulate him for their own benefits. I saw this happen a hundred times, and the web site management was just another one of those manipulations.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

There is something like it in Long Beach:
    http://thetimewarp.com/
    Also, search for more pics posted on Facebook if you have an account there.

I have been there amazing collection.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I was thinking over the last few months how cool it would be to have a place like marvins here in California. It would be a labor of love.

There's also this amazing place on the San Francisco Waterfront

http://www.museemecaniquesf.com/

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

There's also this amazing place on the San Francisco Waterfront
    http://www.museemecaniquesf.com/

Complete with a submarine just outside of the "water side" entry door.

3 weeks later
    #85 6 years ago

It seems like being a collector can be a pain in the ass sometimes. But if we look at Marvin, we see how it was done.

I'm still pining over a tribute to Marvin, here in Los Angeles. We could use a marvelous museum...

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-lost-a-treasure-rip-marvin/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.