Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_20170110_00_37_18_Saved_Picture (resized).jpg
    marvin (resized).jpg
    Marvins (resized).jpg
    Marvin snake (resized).jpg
    Marvin Cardiff Man (resized).jpg
    20160818_195843 (resized).jpg

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #3 7 years ago

God speed, Marvin!

#4 7 years ago

Sorry to hear this... I visited Marvins for first time last year - and what a treat - such a crazy collection of everything coin op and kooky - Marvin certainly was a treasure to the coin op hobby !

#5 7 years ago

Great guy great place, I feel fortunate to have visited there while he was there. He was a very nice guy! RIP Marvin and Thank you!

#6 7 years ago

Rest in peace! I'll have to give the article a read when I get some time - reading this and posting this just as I'm ready to go do something else. From a glance, looks like a very cool place. Will it remain open?

#7 7 years ago

Remember watching clay's footage at his place when I first got into this hobby. Never made it there, but always wanted to. You will be missed!

#8 7 years ago

Tour of Marvins a few years back. A better person I have never met.

#10 7 years ago

I've actually been there, a number of years back. The place was amazing - old Gameplan playfields mounted over the interior doorway entry, if I'm remembering the place correctly.

#11 7 years ago

Wow what a loss!

Did He have anything in place so Museum could go on as-is?

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Rest in peace! I'll have to give the article a read when I get some time - reading this and posting this just as I'm ready to go do something else. From a glance, looks like a very cool place. Will it remain open?

It's not like it's War and Peace, bud, but thanks for chiming in!

RIP Marvin. You provided a wonderful place for minds young and old to be amused. I remember how bad I wanted to go to this place as a kid. I didn't make it up to the high suburbs until I was able to drive. One of a kind!

#13 7 years ago

RIP Marvin...
    Thank you for creating the coolest arcade ever that I grew up going to and my kids will as well...

#14 7 years ago

RIP Marvin - you were one of the few people in this world who did something truly unique.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

I've actually been there, a number of years back. The place was amazing - old Gameplan playfields mounted over the interior doorway entry, if I'm remembering the place correctly.

Yep, that's the place. I did not realize, until my kids recently pointed it out to me, but the planes on the ceiling actually fly (move on a track) if you put a quarter into an unmarked coin slot near the entrance. Been going there for years and never noticed, LOL. There are so many hidden gems in this museam/arcade. Coolest place ever for sure...

#16 7 years ago

It's that kind of thing that made Marvin magical.

#17 7 years ago

Sorry to hear this. I never got to visit the museum but I've seen plenty of pics and videos from it over the years.

I hope someone is able to step in and take over.

#18 7 years ago

This is terrible. Marvins is an awesome place! Hopefully they will honor marvin by keeping his museum open! RIP marvin!

#19 7 years ago

I Knew Marvin for a very long time. Very Sad what happened.

#20 7 years ago

That is too bad. Cool place.
    -Kyros

#21 7 years ago

RIP brother.... Hope a family member will continue on his legacy.

#22 7 years ago

Rest in peace

#23 7 years ago

What can you say about a place (and a guy) that glued quarters to the ground at the entrance just to watch people try to pick them up.

#24 7 years ago

Just a really sweet person and marvins is my go to place so I hope it stays open,I think it will

#25 7 years ago

Marvin, Thank you buddy for your amazing vision and passion.
    He will always be with us if we can keep this place alive. Really hoping family keeps it going.

#26 7 years ago

Marvin was a wonderful person. We had bought and sold him multiple games over the year. Every time i went there deliver he would always walk me around the place and let me try all the fun toys.

"you have to try this one"

"have you tried this one yet?"

always a wonderful time and a great guy.

#27 7 years ago

What a shame. I never made it there and it looked so special. Rest In Peace Marvin.

#28 7 years ago

I found this on the web, a poem posted by “Fluffy Rhino” for her uncle about a year ago. My apologies
    for the flagrant plagiarism however it fits my feelings exactly.

The world got a little bit darker today ...

The world got a little bit darker today
    for there was always a twinkle in your eye.

The world got a little bit quieter today
    for there was always a rumble in your laugh.

The world got a little bit crueler today
    for there was always a kindness in your heart.

The world got a little bit harder today.

Rest in peace Marvin

#29 7 years ago

A real loss

#30 7 years ago

RIP Marvin. Another of the greats returned to heaven.

#31 7 years ago

Another sad day. My condolences to his family and friends.

Steve

#32 7 years ago

The world is a less marvelous place.

RIP marvin3m.com

#33 7 years ago

Rip Marvin.

#34 7 years ago

RIP Marvin. Its been on my list to go there. Hope someone is taking it over.

#35 7 years ago

Makes for a sad day. You'll be missed by many Marvin.

LTG : (

#36 7 years ago

RIP Marvin and thank you for all the great times I was able to share with my family at your museum... took this shot of my boys just a few months ago with our favorite display!!

20160818_195843 (resized).jpg20160818_195843 (resized).jpg

#37 7 years ago

What a bummer. Will be praying for his friends and family.

#38 7 years ago

Had the pleasure to visit Marvin's for the first time last year, hope it stays open as it's a pretty cool place.

R.I.P. Marvin.

#39 7 years ago

Damn. This really sucks!!!!!!!

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Insane:

RIP Marvin. Its been on my list to go there. Hope someone is taking it over.

Looks like the family will continue to keep the Museum alive!

His legacy will continue, thanks to a family that has inherited his passion.

“My father hasn’t been very involved in the past year and a half because his health had been dwindling, but myself and my brother-in-law run the place daily and we’re not going anywhere,” Yagoda said. “That’s just really important for people to know: We’re not going anywhere.”

More than 10 years ago, Yagoda’s son told The News that the arcade “started with family, and we’re gonna keep it that way.”

http://www.onlineupdatenews.com/2017/01/09/founder-of-marvins-marvelous-mechanical-museum-dies/

#41 7 years ago

Sorry to hear this. RIP Marvin...what a unique man and a lasting tribute to coin op.

#42 7 years ago

Jeez, my mom dies six weeks ago and now this.

Sucks how fragile we truly are. And it sucks when we lose anyone, but especially hard when we lose special people.

Guess I better go break the news to my teenage daughter, who loves the band Tally Hall (as do I) and their album named after MMMM.

It is great that his family has already been keeping the place alive, it is high on my bucket list!

We traditionally say Rest In Peace, but I have a feeling Marvin would rather Rest In Noise, a la his museum!

#43 7 years ago

I got to chat with him when I made a pilgrimage there a few years ago from Mass. He asked if I was from Stern because I had my factory-tour shirt on. He had amazing stuff. Nothing comes close, not even the San Fran Fisherman's Wharf automaton arcade.

Marvin Cardiff Man (resized).jpgMarvin Cardiff Man (resized).jpg

Marvin snake (resized).jpgMarvin snake (resized).jpg

Marvins (resized).jpgMarvins (resized).jpg

#44 7 years ago

Sorry if this is a duplicate post from me.

I had the fortune to visit and meet Marvin a few years ago. I played a bunch of stuff there but we settled on pinball. Marvin came over and asked us our opinions on some pinball questions he had, mainly our opinions.

Very very nice person. Miss you already.

#45 7 years ago

Sad start for 2017 but I'm happy to hear that his legacy will go on.

#46 7 years ago

#47 7 years ago

RIP Marvin

My deepest condolences to his family!

#48 7 years ago

This is the most wonderfully kooky place. It's great to hear that his legacy will live on.

#49 7 years ago

It was great when he would come to Tilt Town & Flipper City and hand out cards good for free tokens or quarters at the Museum. Always giving my son extra cards.

He used to host Clay's repair guides as well with a link on the front page of his website (Marvin3m.com) too.

Bump for the video story maf-mi posted earlier: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/founder-of-marvins-marvelous-mechanical-museum-dies

RIP Marvin.

#50 7 years ago

Sad news. I grew up in the area and have been going to Marvin's since the early 90's. I'll miss hanging out with him during my visits, glad the guys are keeping it alive. RIP Marvin.

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-lost-a-treasure-rip-marvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.