(Topic ID: 135580)

We are building a minions pinball! updates every friday!

By pinballrockstar

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
EFC269AB-5D93-4B65-9165-9B267B75A0E0 (resized).jpeg
1426F57C-7247-41F7-A2A7-72235E9DC4BD (resized).jpeg
E3FF5C57-0180-42A0-9476-94350E201A68 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
39C08953-4D4C-4DD8-9C2A-6579B003BC45 (resized).jpeg
DB581720-F7B5-49C9-82E0-988BB31E3E40 (resized).jpeg
1D92915A-06EB-4DA2-B332-A474685CC5F2 (resized).jpeg
2C0097ED-F679-4B58-A149-5000649F3C25 (resized).jpeg
1C3AA014-8106-49B8-AE1D-9220A0F1F795 (resized).jpeg
24546761-41B3-49EB-856F-08D6845058D4 (resized).jpeg
D4A5A377-42FD-4AE8-ABFC-B28C11805526 (resized).jpeg
King Bob Smiling (resized).jpg
D304630B-9A83-4850-8C3E-81BFC1879C56 (resized).png
ED6F8516-386D-4FF0-AF06-43E3FA89FAF8 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 103.
#4701 5 years ago
Quoted from PDFVT:

Maybe you bought some color-blind LEDs?

Piss off dude,you are no help at all

Quoted from jabdoa:

That's weird. So let me get this straight: You set all LEDs to the same color but they turn into different colors in groups?
Can you post your lights config? Did you try individual LEDs in service mode?

I’ll show u at dpo,it really puzzles me,also after 15 minutes all lights start going insane.(flickering)
That also happens when the code isn’t running?

Quoted from Marten:

Wow, that's a lot of work to get the Minions up and running again! Thanks again for showing it all!
Looking forward to seeing your progress next week at the DPO!
B.t.w. Congratulations on your 8000th post

Wow! 8000 posts! I deserve a freakin medal or sumtin
Didn’t even notice?

#4702 5 years ago

This is the light section jab,it looks fine to me?

3B411E23-9804-4842-B07A-8077F25C9F38 (resized).jpeg3B411E23-9804-4842-B07A-8077F25C9F38 (resized).jpegF9F16C85-1C8A-4608-BBD4-74519E83836E (resized).jpegF9F16C85-1C8A-4608-BBD4-74519E83836E (resized).jpeg
#4703 5 years ago

Could the problems with your lights be a technical problem in stead of a software one? Maybe disconnect some stuff and only have a few lights hooked up. There could be a fault in the wires or lights.

#4704 5 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

Could the problems with your lights be a technical problem in stead of a software one? Maybe disconnect some stuff and only have a few lights hooked up. There could be a fault in the wires or lights.

Yeah , been diagnosing for 4 days now.
Swapped a lot of stuff,i even made anotherstring of 50 rgb’s and hooked em up,same problem,swapped the FAST nano controller with crazy mansion,same problem.
It’s really weird?

#4705 5 years ago

is that channel order correct? grb?

normally that would be rgb so if you went to light it red it'd be green.

#4706 5 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

is that channel order correct? grb?
normally that would be rgb so if you went to light it red it'd be green.

Hey pinball brother!
Yeah i noticed that too?
I copied it from the mpf files and later thought i made 50 typos
I changed it but it doesn’t seem to help one bit.
So glad you guys chip in with your thoughts,thanks so much

#4707 5 years ago

have you tried pulling 1 of the rgbs that is say lighting up blue and trying it where one is red to see if it lights up red. would help a little to eliminate the rgbs as the issue.

#4708 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

This is the light section jab,it looks fine to me?
[quoted image][quoted image]

This looks absolutely fine. FAST LEDs are WS2812 which are GRB LEDs (green, red, blue) internally. WS2811 are actually RGB. Other channel orders also exist for RGBW. This looks fine. I will bring some LEDs and a different controller to DPO. We will figure it out.

What are you using as power supply? Those serial LEDs are prone to interference in the power line. We found that connecting 5V ground and HV ground below the playfield certainly causes issues (similar to what early WoZ versions had) because negative voltages in the ground line. For that reason we connect 5V and HV ground only at the PSU and also use a separate PSU for serial LEDs.

#4709 5 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

have you tried pulling 1 of the rgbs that is say lighting up blue and trying it where one is red to see if it lights up red. would help a little to eliminate the rgbs as the issue.

Yeah , i tried bridging it (then the next simply lights up wrong) and swapping the rgb’s! (I have 300 of them fast rgb’s)
Every time i think i found it,everything goes mental again?

#4710 5 years ago
Quoted from jabdoa:

This looks absolutely fine. FAST LEDs are WS2812 which are GRB LEDs (green, red, blue) internally. WS2811 are actually RGB. Other channel orders also exist for RGBW. This looks fine. I will bring some LEDs and a different controller to DPO. We will figure it out.
What are you using as power supply? Those serial LEDs are prone to interference in the power line. We found that connecting 5V ground and HV ground below the playfield certainly causes issues (similar to what early WoZ versions had) because negative voltages in the ground line. For that reason we connect 5V and HV ground only at the PSU and also use a separate PSU for serial LEDs.

Allright...so that is correct.
The power supplies i use are the ones FAST ships with the starter kit.
I have indeed a separate HV and 5/12 PSU.
Strange thing is,when the attract runs smooth,it runs supernice?
And then stuff starts to flicker and boom! A mess.

#4711 5 years ago

Look how nice? And after a bit it starts to flicker and fuck up

#4712 5 years ago

And this i what happens after a few minutes?
So hard to diagnose if you have to wait if the problem still excists??
It is taking days by now,eating time i needed for the machine code.

#4713 5 years ago

I am taking off the hv
See what happens

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#4714 5 years ago

And this i what happens after a few minutes?
So hard to diagnose if you have to wait if the problem still excists??
It is taking days by now,eating time i needed for the machine code.

Wow. That looks bad. We had similar results when we hit bugs in the fadecandy firmware. Any chance that you defined LED numbers more than once in MPF? Mpf should catch that but this may also happen if two LEDs fight over the resources. Not sure. Maybe Aaron has an idea. We can try a fadecandy as alternative controller at DPO.

#4715 5 years ago
Quoted from jabdoa:

Wow. That looks bad. We had similar results when we hit bugs in the fadecandy firmware. Any chance that you defined LED numbers more than once in MPF? Mpf should catch that but this may also happen if two LEDs fight over the resources. Not sure. Maybe Aaron has an idea. We can try a fadecandy as alternative controller at DPO.

Dude!
I am cautiously positive YOU found the problem..i just took the 230v away from the 48volt PSU and everything looked more calm.
I hooked up the fast kit weeks ago and i cross-connected grounds under the playfield....so the 5/12 volt PSU AND THE 48 volts PSU grounds touched(i figured ground is ground right?)
I made separate ground circuits just now and you can instantly see the grb’s being way more relaxed...less flickery..
If this solved it,free beer for you all weekend at DPO.
Dude...after days straight you just don’t know where to search anymore?
And we have this crazy dpo deadline and i can’t have these setbacks? Not now!

#4716 5 years ago

So thanks to Jabdoa we can move on and man are we in a hurry....we need some stuff on the dmd,scoring and sounds.
That’s enough to not look like a dumb asshole at DPO.
People’d be going like:” ohw? So you guys been busy for 4 years now? And what do these machines do after all these years?.
(Us : ) Uuuh...yeah...about that...they both don’t work...

376D36E6-2A06-4DAE-B3B9-0589C4F8E77B (resized).jpeg376D36E6-2A06-4DAE-B3B9-0589C4F8E77B (resized).jpeg

#4717 5 years ago

Good luck! Don’t forget to sleep a few times before Saturday!

#4718 5 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

Good luck! Don’t forget to sleep a few times before Saturday!

No time bro! Sleep is overrated anyway,i can totally function on 2 hour nights

#4719 5 years ago

I even sqeezed in a Level 42 concert,i don’t need no stinking sleep
Hey! And i now own a set of Mark King’s used bass strings!!
Supercool!

CD35BD40-B435-4195-B950-3C095813D180 (resized).jpegCD35BD40-B435-4195-B950-3C095813D180 (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#4720 5 years ago

jabdoa so glad you could chime in! Just watching those videos of the issue didn’t seem to match up to electrical or firmware issues, but it’s pinball, so you never know!

I have been fixing a major plumbing issue in my house all day and just now cleared that up. My dad Freeplay40 had even texted me earlier that I needed to get in here and help out.

I wish I could be there with all of you! Next year...

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#4721 5 years ago

So i just turned on the machine,to write some code for the dpo deadline as the grb’s were finally behaving perfectly yesterday?
And now the lights are all over the place?
I only turned it off yesterday?
This is officially brutal now.
I am going to collect stamps from now on.
I need another hobby.

#4722 5 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Just watching those videos of the issue didn’t seem to match up to electrical
Aaron
FAST Pinball

So do you have any idea what is happening?

#4723 5 years ago

So do you have any idea what is happening?

It looks like exactly the same issue, right? I would start with the most basic things first. Shutdown the PC and turn everything off. Have a beer. Then power it all back up. The reason I suggest this is because if there is even the outside chance that there is a rouge config someplace in cache someplace, this would weed that out.

If you have the same results, I would shutdown/quit MPF and make a direct terminal connection to the FAST Nano's RGB port, like you did when you resynced the firmware using Tera Term. This time, instead of the 2nd of 4 ports in the list, connected to the 3rd. Connect at 921600 and send the command:

ID:<enter>

This should give back a message:

ID:RGB FP-CPU...

If the first 3 characters are "RGB" you are on the right port.

Now send the command:

RA:990000<enter>

This command turns all the RGB LEDs Red. (you can use any hexadecimal color) This will help us to know if the issue is in wiring. If you see all red, good to go. If you see any LEDs NOT red, then trace it back to the first LED in the chain(s) that is not red, and inspect.

What directly connecting to the FAST Hardware does is take out any potential issues with the MPF configs. I always test my hardware direct before moving on because it is a huge time suck to try and solve something in high-level software that could never be truly solved that way.

Good luck! Report back.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

PS: From a time crunch stand-point, LEDs will be the easiest thing to solve. If you are hung up or want to change gears for a bit, focus on the other areas of the pin and come back to this.

#4724 5 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

focus on the other areas of the pin and come back to this.

Yeah i already decided i am gonna light candles under the glass,way more reliable.
So i had time to move on to the lcd.
Positioned everything and made a simple attract mode.
Very pleased with it.

#4725 5 years ago

light candles under the glass

Tough to see in this photo, but that comment had me spit-take laughing my iced-tea.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

5135F916-4DD6-4DFD-846F-FF0462D86B66 (resized).jpeg5135F916-4DD6-4DFD-846F-FF0462D86B66 (resized).jpeg
#4726 5 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Tough to see in this photo, but that comment had me spit-take laughing my iced-tea.
Aaron
FAST Pinball
[quoted image]

Hahaha,through the nose i presume?

#4727 5 years ago

Hahaha,through the nose i presume?

The waitress didn’t know if she should offer to help me or just keep laughing.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#4728 5 years ago

Hey Bas, serial LEDs flicker like that when there is a power problem or a flaky connection somewhere.

Ground and 5V are super important. I would recommend you run some extra 5V and Ground lines directly from your power supply to the LED chains, about every 10-15 LEDs. If you are having floating ground issues that will make a massive improvement. Just connect them in to your existing chain wiring.

#4729 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Hey Bas, serial LEDs flicker like that when there is a power problem or a flaky connection somewhere.
Ground and 5V are super important. I would recommend you run some extra 5V and Ground lines directly from your power supply to the LED chains, about every 10-15 LEDs. If you are having floating ground issues that will make a massive improvement. Just connect them in to your existing chain wiring.

Doing this could also create conductive loops that are susceptible to induction due to magnetic fields acting on those loops. So maybe just supply power near the middle of the chains and not at the ends? Took JJP a long time to solve this on WOZ, if ever.

John will agree with me: PINBALL IS HARD ( - :

#4730 5 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

The waitress didn’t know if she should offer to help me or just keep laughing.
Aaron
FAST Pinball

She saw it was the result of a good joke
I did what you said with tera term,look at the vid...they all turn red but flickery...i am starting to dought these nice connectors i bought.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Yeah,i can imagine...maybe i will solder all wires directly to the rgb lights?
I bought a shitload of these cool connectors but maybe they have some resistance or sumtin?

Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Dude,i’ll agree with you too anytime.

#4731 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Truth.

#4732 5 years ago

John,you found the last piece in the puzzle...found some bad lights too in the past days but now i connected extra ground and 5v to the last light in the string of 50 rgb’s and they light up stronger instantly!
When blue,the last rgb tended to fade away a little...and when i connect extra juice to the other side,BOOM! strong light!
You guys are all way smarter than me man...wow.
Cautiously optimistic (again) ( part 5 )

#4733 5 years ago

John,you found the last piece in the puzzle

Yay!!

#4734 5 years ago

Yeah it looks real solid and stable now after a while.
Thanks everybody for your thoughts and input the past days.
This machine wouldn’t even work without your help over the past years.

17A3AAC1-8E1B-460A-9958-D13D52BAEA16 (resized).jpeg17A3AAC1-8E1B-460A-9958-D13D52BAEA16 (resized).jpeg
#4735 5 years ago

Yeah it looks real solid and stable now after a while.
Thanks everybody for your thoughts and input the past days.
This machine wouldn’t even work without your help over the past years.
[quoted image]

Sweet! Pay it forward!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#4736 5 years ago

Phew, glad you got that solved. Pinsiders are an amazing bunch. At least your issue wasn't related to your solar cells:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-father-and-sons-second-restoration/page/13#post-4655940

well technically related to the inverter.

#4737 5 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Phew, glad you got that solved. Pinsiders are an amazing bunch. At least your issue wasn't related to your solar cells:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-father-and-sons-second-restoration/page/13#post-4655940
well technically related to the inverter.

Dude...that is insane?
Did that actually happen?!
What the f. man...i would never find that problem.

#4738 5 years ago

Did that actually happen?!
What the f. man...i would never find that problem.

YES, that is fact, watched it play out almost live here on PS. It was quite the conundrum. The level of knowledge from the PS community is awesome.
Anyway, keep up the great work on your builds, they are both looking great. Minions getting the "clean up" that it deserves.

#4739 5 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

YES, that is fact, watched it play out almost live here on PS. It was quite the conundrum. The level of knowledge from the PS community is awesome.
Anyway, keep up the great work on your builds, they are both looking great. Minions getting the "clean up" that it deserves.

Yeah...the wiring was garbage hahaha...
As we speak i am soldering all the rgb’s so the extra 5 volt and ground isn’t needed anymore.
I don’t like these chinese connectors anymore.
Here we go!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#4740 5 years ago

First few rgb lights soldered...no more chinese connectors!

#4741 5 years ago

It's still good practice to have the extra 5V and ground lines. I wouldn't get rid of them.

#4742 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's still good practice to have the extra 5V and ground lines. I wouldn't get rid of them.

Allright,will do...are you talking out of experience?

#4743 5 years ago

Allright,will do...are you talking out of experience?

Haha yes, more than I let on some times.

#4744 5 years ago

Fuuuuck!!!
My soldering station crapped out on me!!!

89F50652-E70B-4CAF-AA16-3336AF22C4BE (resized).jpeg89F50652-E70B-4CAF-AA16-3336AF22C4BE (resized).jpeg
#4745 5 years ago

Fight the depression....fight the depression...

438228C4-6FDE-481C-9AAE-4DB427AB73DA (resized).jpeg438228C4-6FDE-481C-9AAE-4DB427AB73DA (resized).jpeg
#4746 5 years ago

Piece of crap!! Damned!

1C4E86EA-CC14-4706-90AD-A31F971DB114 (resized).jpeg1C4E86EA-CC14-4706-90AD-A31F971DB114 (resized).jpeg
#4747 5 years ago

Nevermind,we’ll just use the “electric soldering gun
Let’s proceed!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#4748 5 years ago

you threw it away without tearing it apart to salvage parts for future pinball builds?....."it's probably just a fuse"

#4749 5 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

it's probably just a fuse

Yes! Check if there is a fuse!

#4750 5 years ago

I was half expecting to see posts where you were taking parts out of the Tesla to build a new soldering iron.

There are 5,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-are-building-a-minions-pinball-updates-every-friday/page/95?hl=jabdoa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.