(Topic ID: 135580)

We are building a minions pinball! updates every friday!

By pinballrockstar

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
EFC269AB-5D93-4B65-9165-9B267B75A0E0 (resized).jpeg
1426F57C-7247-41F7-A2A7-72235E9DC4BD (resized).jpeg
E3FF5C57-0180-42A0-9476-94350E201A68 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
39C08953-4D4C-4DD8-9C2A-6579B003BC45 (resized).jpeg
DB581720-F7B5-49C9-82E0-988BB31E3E40 (resized).jpeg
1D92915A-06EB-4DA2-B332-A474685CC5F2 (resized).jpeg
2C0097ED-F679-4B58-A149-5000649F3C25 (resized).jpeg
1C3AA014-8106-49B8-AE1D-9220A0F1F795 (resized).jpeg
24546761-41B3-49EB-856F-08D6845058D4 (resized).jpeg
D4A5A377-42FD-4AE8-ABFC-B28C11805526 (resized).jpeg
King Bob Smiling (resized).jpg
D304630B-9A83-4850-8C3E-81BFC1879C56 (resized).png
ED6F8516-386D-4FF0-AF06-43E3FA89FAF8 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 103.
#2251 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

next week we are starting the playfield swap,real difficult situation.
A lot of mistakes around the corner,we need to focus! (<--focus eyes)

OK, no more Scotch, Desperados or no-goggle welding for the next few weeks Amigos. Then again, that is the stuff that got you to this point! Carry on!

#2252 7 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

OK, no more Scotch, Desperados or no-goggle welding for the next few weeks Amigos. Then again, that is the stuff that got you to this point! Carry on!

I am experiencing a cocktail of excitement and fear at this stage
Yeah...seriousness in the air,you can feel it right?!
There is only one way to do this,assemble it in logical order.
But we have like,600 parts to assemble and only one way to do it.
Just up until now i realise how severely complicated this is.
If you forget something,the entire assembly has to come out again?
But it is also exciting to have a nice playfield with artwork.
You can make smooth shots,see how the pin behaves and adjust the code to it.

#2253 7 years ago

nice playfield with artwork

Show us the art!

#2254 7 years ago

The eyes of Pinside far and wide are upon your every post. No pressure

#2255 7 years ago

Is that scratch? Oh wait I am supposed to let you get it finished first.

#2256 7 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

Show us the art!

It will be in the next friday update!

Quoted from Fairground:

The eyes of Pinside far and wide are upon your every post. No pressure

Quoted from Travish:

Is that scratch? Oh wait I am supposed to let you get it finished first.

You are pre-stressing us!
This week the playfield needs to be sanded and painted and sanded and painted....else the artwork won't stick to the playfield.
I have to do this during the week or else we have a wet playfield and a sucky update friday..
Yesterday i started putting the primer and gloss paint on the playfield.
I use a gas heater to dry it , it is snowy and rainy at the moment,not real ideal conditions to paint,humidity is high.
Look at Mic in the snow,evidence..

IMG_1835 (resized).JPGIMG_1835 (resized).JPG

#2257 7 years ago

I filled some imperfections with car bondo first.
They imperfections are under the upper playfield area,but still,it has to be super smooth

IMG_1841 (resized).JPGIMG_1841 (resized).JPG

#2258 7 years ago

First coat of primer , i bought a hybrid type primer,expensive,but just like a pizza the bottom layer is pretty important,else you are just holding cheese and tomato sauce...

IMG_1842 (resized).JPGIMG_1842 (resized).JPG

IMG_1843 (resized).JPGIMG_1843 (resized).JPG

#2259 7 years ago

Drying fase...takes forever before you can sand

IMG_1846 (resized).JPGIMG_1846 (resized).JPG

IMG_1847 (resized).JPGIMG_1847 (resized).JPG

#2260 7 years ago

Since we are also making a new backboard,i paint this plywood at the same time.
I paint a larger area so we can cut the somewhat smaller backboard out of it.

IMG_1848 (resized).JPGIMG_1848 (resized).JPG

IMG_1850 (resized).JPGIMG_1850 (resized).JPG

#2261 7 years ago

In the meantime/drying fase,i went to the hardware store to buy a set of scalpel knives,when the artwork is applied,you need crazy sharp knives to cut out the switch holes and such.

IMG_1845 (resized).JPGIMG_1845 (resized).JPG

#2262 7 years ago

We are going to put a playfield protector on the entire playfield,more work but we don't want to stress about the playfield wearing during gameplay.
If the machine goes to an event and 300 people play it in a day,it has to be able to handle that.
If the protector starts to look crappy at one point,we'll just swap it,no big deal

IMG_1855 (resized).JPGIMG_1855 (resized).JPG

#2263 7 years ago

On both sides of the playfield we need new woodstrip,so i primer this one entirely and later cut it to the right length.
These will be black

IMG_1849 (resized).JPGIMG_1849 (resized).JPG

#2264 7 years ago

Here we go!
I wet sanded the primer layer real smooth,but that is still no appropriate layer to stick your artwork to.
Only glossy paint has that adhesive property.

IMG_1856 (resized).JPGIMG_1856 (resized).JPG

#2265 7 years ago

Done!

IMG_1858 (resized).JPGIMG_1858 (resized).JPG

#2266 7 years ago

Back to the waiting game...
The woodstrip i painted black too and is drying on the right of the picture

IMG_1859 (resized).JPGIMG_1859 (resized).JPG

#2267 7 years ago

Meantime i am opening our order from pinball life.
They charged me $61.70 shipping for these few bits plus at customs in the Netherlands a tax bill was stuck on and costed me €65.70( about $63 at the moment).
So you are looking at a $217 order that went $341.70.
Man i got screwed,all pinball life has to do is write a value of 20 bucks on the package but they refuse to "commit fraude"... well this is the last business you do with me pinball life.
I needed the 3 clear arrow inserts,that was all and that costs $61.70 as well?
So i figured to fill a box with stuff(also bought the ghostbuster sdtm upgrade kit)so it would be better for the shipping costs..outcome:got screwed twice.
Practically nothing in the box,horrible deal.
But on the upside: i have the 3 clear arrow inserts.

IMG_1836 (resized).JPGIMG_1836 (resized).JPG

IMG_1837 (resized).JPGIMG_1837 (resized).JPG

IMG_1838 (resized).JPGIMG_1838 (resized).JPG

IMG_1839 (resized).JPGIMG_1839 (resized).JPG

#2268 7 years ago

Tax receipt..€65.59 to be exact

IMG_1840 (resized).JPGIMG_1840 (resized).JPG

#2269 7 years ago

So...today i hit the ground running,made a quick template...

IMG_1877 (resized).JPGIMG_1877 (resized).JPG

IMG_1878 (resized).JPGIMG_1878 (resized).JPG

#2270 7 years ago

And made a new window for the subway playfield!

IMG_1881 (resized).JPGIMG_1881 (resized).JPG

#2271 7 years ago

Had some spare minutes before i had to go open my business(real life...)and tried the new clear inserts from pinball life.(just threw them on,not hammered in)
The led bulbs underneath are colored,so no need to have colored inserts,plus we might do these other lights that can change color in a particulair mode(called rgb right???)swap in the future so we can keep adding code and game to the machine in the future.
I really think game of thrones makes clever use of this feature.
Real smart.

IMG_1882 (resized).JPGIMG_1882 (resized).JPG

#2272 7 years ago

looking great

I did notice the new pf is missing the groove for the ball launch, ball trough mech, flippers etc, assuming they will be worked out on the game...

#2273 7 years ago

all pinball life has to do is write a value of 20 bucks on the package but they refuse to "commit fraude"... well this is the last business you do with me pinball life.

Don't be like that amigo. You are too cool to let such things get to you. Can't expect a registered business to start messing with customs.
Anyway, awesome progress as always!

#2274 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

looking great
I did notice the new pf is missing the groove for the ball launch, ball trough mech, flippers etc, assuming they will be worked out on the game...

Yep,sharp eye!
Gerrie van eijk asked for a cnc drawing and i quickly realised how messy such a drawing becomes.
So i just let him cnc the holes that were difficult for us to make.
As an exame,it is impossible to drill an arrow insert hole,but a flipper shaft hole is quite easy to do.
I though actually forgot about the plunger lane until you mentioned...hm,fresh problemo..

#2275 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

You are too cool

Ah how nice of you to say that

#2276 7 years ago

good point re the holes

maybe with the plunger lane that you can carefully file it out with sandpaper around a piece of dowel / broomstick and get the shape before going to far - nice way to expose the grain.

keep up the good work, inspiring...

#2277 7 years ago

Man i got screwed,all pinball life has to do is write a value of 20 bucks on the package but they refuse to "commit fraude"... well this is the last business you do with me pinball life.

Seriously? You want them to commit fraud for you? Pinballlife did not get to where they are by doing dumb stuff like that. I'm sure they want to risk their business on saving you a few bucks (insert sarcasm icon here), or even just end up with having all of the international stuff get held up in customs and scrutinized, which I'm sure would make all of the other international buyers happy, not! Terry will typically do whatever he can to help folks out and make things easier, but to complain about them not be willing to break the law for you, is, pretty lame.

Yeah, customs and shipping fees suck. Makes us all crazy when we get hit with that, but it is not Pinballlife who is doing it, they are just doing what they are legally required to do.

#2278 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

good point re the holes
maybe with the plunger lane that you can carefully file it out with sandpaper around a piece of dowel / broomstick and get the shape before going to far - nice way to expose the grain.
keep up the good work, inspiring...

Great idea! We will do it exactly that way!
Such a great idea,it could have been my own idea

#2279 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Seriously? You want them to commit fraud for you? Pinballlife did not get to where they are by doing dumb stuff like that. I'm sure they want to risk their business on saving you a few bucks (insert sarcasm icon here), or even just end up with having all of that international stuff get held up in customs and scrutinized, which I'm sure that would make all of the international buyers happy. Terry will typically do whatever he can to help folks out and make things easier, but to complain about that not be willing to break the law for you, is, pretty lame.
Yeah, customs and shipping fees suck. Makes us all crazy when we get hit with that, but it is not Pinballlife who is doing it, they are just doing what they are legally required to do.

Wow wow wow!
Dude relax,why is everybody so on edge when i say something about pinball life?
I don't know who terry is,perhaps i would love him too if i knew him.

I am no saint,not a christian and i rarely play by the rules in my life so from my beautiful,beautiful perspective it's like logical to put $25 value on the box.
When customs open it,there are a few pieces of shit plastics in there!?
Like customs know what plastic inserts cost.
And you think Dutch customs are going to file a lawsuit against pinball life?
Sure..

Fraud is a big word by the way,i would call it:"being economical with the truth".

Customs are looking for big boxes of coke and meth and such Rosh,and to pay those searching custompeople working there,they put tax on average Joe's package...wake up.
First customs look in your package:...(hmm no...no cocaine in there...damn...)
Then they get really annoyed...(so you ain't smuggling coke...you time wasting basterd...)
And then they want something to justify their lost time...(yeah...gonna make you pay...you timewasting ashole piece o sh!t...what is in here...hm...a few round plastic pieces of crap?...you owe me €65,47!!! Mwoehahaha).

I get your point Rosh,i am kidding a bit,but last time i bought a secondhand cd on ebay.com, the B52's Funplex album,great cd and i love it.
Bought it for $2,a few bucks for envelope shipping , next thing the mailman wants me to pay €17 (!!!) tax.
That was split up in €9,50 tax and €7,50 administration fee?!
They just estimated it because there was no ebay transaction receipt in the envelope.
It's just no fun anymore..can't do nothing about it but pay.
So with a lot of those unfair events in mind,one gets annoyed by a fresh tax bill.

IMG_1943 (resized).JPGIMG_1943 (resized).JPG

#2280 7 years ago

Wait..... is it Friday again? Soooo does this mean I don't have to go to work tomorrow? I'm so confused lol. Good job, looks great.

#2281 7 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

Wait..... is it Friday again? Soooo does this mean I don't have to go to work tomorrow? I'm so confused lol. Good job, looks great.

Hey Drewscruis! How are you doin' ?
Yeah you are free tomorrow man!
Nah kidding,doing some solo work,the paint has to be dry by friday
If i paint the playfield friday with Mic and Dick,it would be a superboring update watching us watching the paint dry
Thanks for the support man,real cool.

#2282 7 years ago

Great idea! We will do it exactly that way!
Such a great idea,it could have been my own idea

but I got the idea off you so it was your idea wasn't it.

#2283 7 years ago

We are going to put a playfield protector on the entire playfield,more work but we don't want to stress about the playfield wearing during gameplay.
If the machine goes to an event and 300 people play it in a day,it has to be able to handle that.
If the protector starts to look crappy at one point,we'll just swap it,no big deal

Nice. See you are prepping it to be able to show it at DPO EXPO 11-12 November dpo.nfvpinball.nl

#2284 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

but I got the idea off you so it was your idea wasn't it.

I started on it right away!
It works really well,i patented the idea real fast so now it is officially my idea!

IMG_1944 (resized).JPGIMG_1944 (resized).JPG

IMG_1946 (resized).JPGIMG_1946 (resized).JPG

IMG_1945 (resized).JPGIMG_1945 (resized).JPG

#2285 7 years ago

Hey Amigos, it costs big time to get things to Aus as well, maybe that's why Pinball Life put that huge bubblewrap in so you can vent your frustration by jumping on it than the keyboard . here is a little relax tape for you

#2286 7 years ago

look!MY idea worked real well

IMG_1947 (resized).JPGIMG_1947 (resized).JPG

#2287 7 years ago
Quoted from Fairground:

Hey Amigos, it costs big time to get thing to Aus as well, maybe that's why Pinball Life put that huge bubblewrap in so you can vent your frustration by jumping on it than the keyboard . here is a little relax tape for you
» YouTube video

Hahahaha,i nearly pissed myself mate
I am super relaxed after watching the vid

#2288 7 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Nice. See you are prepping it to be able to show it at DPO EXPO 11-12 November dpo.nfvpinball.nl

We are there,count on us Rensh.
Let's make this an epic Dutch pinball open.
The code is coming along too,we just might even have it playing for the public.
I don't want to make it a JPOP unveiling.
No box of lights,no empty cab,but full blown pinball.
We want the game to perform and survive dpo.
It is build for fun!

Oh wait... ( looking to the left) we have a few things to do before dutch pinball open
At the moment the playfield features 3 aerosols and a ruler..omg..what am i promising..

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2289 7 years ago

Wow wow wow!
Dude relax,why is everybody so on edge when i say something about pinball life?
I don't know who terry is,perhaps i would love him too if i knew him.

This has nothing to do specifically with Pinballlife or Terry, although I do know the man, and think very highly of him as both a businessman and as a person, this is about you asking a business to commit perjury to multiple governmental agencies and across international lines, and for absolutely zero benefit to them, so you can save a few bucks, and then bad mouthing them on a public forum. You can certainly choose to break the law, I'm no saint either, and while you may choose to ask others to break the law on your behalf, I find it in appropriate to come on here and bitch that a business was not willing to lie for you, it is just bad form, at least in my book, clearly you view things differently.

Somehow I don't think Terry is going to lose sleep over losing your business. Although somehow I expect that when you need a part that he is the only one who has it, that you will change your tune and buy from him, and given that Terry is a good guy, I suspect he will still be willing to sell to you.

#2290 7 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

This has nothing to do specifically with Pinballlife or Terry, although I do know the man, and think very highly of him as both a businessman and as a person, this is about you asking a business to commit perjury to multiple governmental agencies and across international lines, and for absolutely zero benefit to them, so you can save a few bucks, and then bad mouthing them on a public forum. You can certainly choose to break the law, I'm no saint either, and while you may choose to ask others to break the law on your behalf, I find it in appropriate to come on here and bitch that a business was not willing to lie for you, it is just bad form, at least in my book, clearly you view things differently.
Somehow I don't think Terry is going to lose sleep over losing your business. Although somehow I expect that when you need a part that he is the only one who has it, that you will change your tune and buy from him, and given that Terry is a good guy, I suspect he will still be willing to sell to you.

Sooo Rosh woke up on the wrong side of the bed
Go away from our topic angry man!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2291 7 years ago

I like how your legs and arms are pitchforks! hahaha!

#2292 7 years ago

Cot damn they draw as well as they make pinball machines!

#2293 7 years ago
Quoted from Redknight87:

I like how your legs and arms are pitchforks! hahaha!

Yeah quite pleased with my drawing,still draw like a five year old hahahaha

#2294 7 years ago

Meantime i am opening our order from pinball life.
They charged me $61.70 shipping for these few bits plus at customs in the Netherlands a tax bill was stuck on and costed me €65.70( about $63 at the moment).

... but they refuse to "commit fraude".

I do feel your pain. I'm in Canada and we also get screwed on import taxes. But I can't blame a vendor - that's my governments strange rules. We have stupid things like: I can can carry back hundreds of dollars returning from vacation, but I get dinged on stuff shipped in if it's over $20. What's the diff if I carry back $100 of Pinball Life stuff on a trip from Chicago, or I get it mailed?

The thing that really pisses me off: Canada Post can't give a rat's ass doing the paperwork up to about $40. BUT if something over $20 bucks passes through UPS' hands... you can bet they'll pull it aside and hit it. Why? Because they add their "brokerage" fees. I explode when I see a package valued $25, and I pay over $20 ... only about a $1.50 goes to the government, the rest sucked up by UPS.

I've had some people fudge numbers in the past, including an inexplicable example where I received a box measuring a cubic foot, containing 27 items and the guy put $20. I'm thankful, but I'd never ask anyone to do that ... especially a larger business that might get red-flagged.

And if you ever do get to meet Terry, I'm sure you'll actually love him. Based on what I've seen, you guys would party at his Open House like crazed minions!
I'm happy to support him - I just wish I could get more of this stuff locally.

(P.S. Don't get me wound up about why I can get shit shipped all the way from China for free, but I can't get anything within North America without having to bend over)

#2295 7 years ago

At the moment the playfield features 3 aerosols and a ruler..omg..what am i promising..

I fear what smell might come out of those aerosol cans!

fart-gun (resized).jpgfart-gun (resized).jpg

#2296 7 years ago

Here, I fixed it for you . . .

We are building a minions pinball! updates every friday! | Pinside Forum-1 (resized).pngWe are building a minions pinball! updates every friday! | Pinside Forum-1 (resized).png

Maybe you can bribe some vendor to ship you a hacksaw hidden inside a bag of parts.

#2297 7 years ago

That stick figure drawing is awesome. It should be included as an easter egg in the code.

#2298 7 years ago

Rosh makes a very good point and I think it's inappropriate to chastise him over it. Come on guys, I like following this thread but sometimes your people skills aren't very diplomatic and you're at risk of alienating supporters in doing so. Let's skip the name calling, insults and complaints about people not wanting to risk their businesses by breaking international laws and just focus on having fun building a great game. Ironically, I found the cartoon somewhat cute and funny, but his point is very valid.

#2299 7 years ago

Two things that can drop your street cred.....talking bad about pinball life and making a playfield without a shooter lane.

#2300 7 years ago

P.S. - I'm super excited to see your playfield art, the rest of the package looks great and it's been an interesting thread seeing this game all come together. Nice work!

There are 5,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-are-building-a-minions-pinball-updates-every-friday/page/46 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.