(Topic ID: 135580)

We are building a minions pinball! updates every friday!

By pinballrockstar

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
EFC269AB-5D93-4B65-9165-9B267B75A0E0 (resized).jpeg
1426F57C-7247-41F7-A2A7-72235E9DC4BD (resized).jpeg
E3FF5C57-0180-42A0-9476-94350E201A68 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
39C08953-4D4C-4DD8-9C2A-6579B003BC45 (resized).jpeg
DB581720-F7B5-49C9-82E0-988BB31E3E40 (resized).jpeg
1D92915A-06EB-4DA2-B332-A474685CC5F2 (resized).jpeg
2C0097ED-F679-4B58-A149-5000649F3C25 (resized).jpeg
1C3AA014-8106-49B8-AE1D-9220A0F1F795 (resized).jpeg
24546761-41B3-49EB-856F-08D6845058D4 (resized).jpeg
D4A5A377-42FD-4AE8-ABFC-B28C11805526 (resized).jpeg
King Bob Smiling (resized).jpg
D304630B-9A83-4850-8C3E-81BFC1879C56 (resized).png
ED6F8516-386D-4FF0-AF06-43E3FA89FAF8 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 103.
#151 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

that some badass software can at least make a significant dent in that gap.

Certainly true

#152 8 years ago

More people getting into pinball development is good for us all. For newbies, you don't know what you don't know until you find you need know how to do something and you don't. Most are not drawn to pinball dev for the programming, but I agree, you need to step it up yourself or team up with a programmer if you want your game to be awesome!

If you can design and build a fun playfield, get a starter game going and the depth of the game is held back by your poor programming skills, well thats incentive! New people with diverse skills coming into pinball is awesome. Shoot, there are TONS of programmers out there. Metal workers... 3D modeler/designers... CAD gurus... Electrical engineers... Artists... Musicians... Workworkers... Game rule wizards... We don't want programming to be what keeps anyone away from enriching pinball.

But writing your own rad code or having a kick ass programmer on your team is critical for the long haul.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#153 8 years ago

My experience is that without a clue of what python was, i could start building our minion game with fast.
They put it together from really a noob point of view, especially the part 6 that says:" adding the dmd used to be further on in the tutorial but moved it earlier in the process".
And i was thinking yes! When i read that...it is sooo motivating to see the " client connected" in your dmd.
Youfeel like a superhero at that point?!
If you learn coding playwise, you also get a good understanding of how coding works and for the future you have growing skills and a better understanding of what pyprocgameHD is and you can use that too.
I just felt so stupid and frustrated all the time starting out with pyprocgame,at one point,i literally spent an entire day with no result to show for.
Just an entire day feeling dumb.
Pyprocgame needs a tutorial,period.
Do you know anybody that wants to build a pinball that is by coincedence also a super awesome computer expert?
I know nobody with that set of skills.
Pinball builders have mech,soldering skills and basic understanding of how a pinball works...
And with mpf tutorial you learn as you go along building and that is the exact environment a lot of boutique builders want to be in.
Feel happy with your progress on your quest for awesomeness!.

#154 8 years ago

All you have to do is make a request for a programmer and I can be sure you will find one. Use pinside or the P-ROC support forum. You have a great project that any programmer with a love for pinball will be happy to be apart of.

#155 8 years ago

Love this thread. Not even a real fan of the movies (I do find the minions hilarious though), but I really love your spirit and what you guys are doing. Amazed at the speed you're getting this done as well! Thanks for the updates, and wanted to point these out, did you know Kinder Eggs have the minions as the theme toy these days (at least here in Switzerland)?

Kinder-Egg_Minions.jpgKinder-Egg_Minions.jpg

http://www.kinderueberraschung.de/sonderserie/die-minions

These can make nice (fairly cheap) playfield accessories (or planted all through your backbox house), while making your kids (or you) happy at the same time with all the (overly-sweet) chocolate!! Maybe you can ask all your friends to buy boxes of eggs too, and to save the minions for you...

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

...i literally spent an entire day with no result to show for. ...
Just an entire day feeling dumb.

Maybe I can chime in here with a little encouragement.
You're describing what it's like to be a professional software engineer. Sure, you might not have a lot of domain knowledge or experience that 20 years has given me, but all these years later, the difference between feeling like a rockstar and feeling like a moron is finding that one stupid problem in my code. I still have days where I literally write nothing. The key is realizing that those days aren't wasted as long as you learned something about the problem. I write a few dozen lines of working code most days in my day-job. On a good day, I might write a hundred. On a great day, I might even write a thousand. On the best days, I delete two-thousand.

Some general programming tips for people who are starting out.
+ Computers are complex, not magical. Keeping a clean mental model of how your code is supposed to work is key to knowing what might be going wrong.
+ When something goes wrong, try to scope the problem down so you can iterate quickly. If you can run your code away from your pinball hardware, even better. Control the environment as much as you can. Remove randomness.
+ Use source control - even if it's just you on the project. Git, Perforce, SVN, Bazaar, Mercurial, and many others are all free or at least free for small numbers of hobbyists. It'll help you organize and it'll save your bacon. Code history is very powerful.
+ Never skimp on your debugging facilities. Even if you can only collect console output to an SD card and review it later, make sure it's easy to record it and interpret it. It should be trivial to add a liberal amounts of output to your code with minimal typing or else you won't do it.
+ Embrace libraries and ready-made stuff - A big part of programming is just knowing what's already available.
+ Be careful of libraries and ready-made stuff - Code likes to fight with other code. Even if this shiny new thing promises to solve all your problems, you're really trading your problems for someone else's. Make sure you know it's a good trade.
+ If you find yourself contemplating using two languages in tandem, the answer is almost always "don't".

Feel happy with your progress on your quest for awesomeness!.

Indeed!

#157 8 years ago

Do you know anybody that wants to build a pinball that is by coincedence also a super awesome computer expert?

BTW, I have a fair amount of experience programming and would be willing to help a bit if I could. Great tips from Jweiler. Most important though is to not get discouraged. I too have lost time debugging, however, I learn something each time and it gets easier with experience.

The community is here to help! And of course once this thing is built and fully functional, we can all stop by to play a few games!

#158 8 years ago

Yep,friday again!

#159 8 years ago

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#160 8 years ago

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

image_4.jpgimage_4.jpg

image_5.jpgimage_5.jpg

image_6.jpgimage_6.jpg

#161 8 years ago

So great! Thanks for continuing to post updates!

#162 8 years ago

Had my first listen today. Got thru the latest episode on my drive to and from work. Really enjoyed the show and will catch up and keep listening.

#163 8 years ago

Figured out how to get a normal scoring screen and added scoring to the platfield, huge step forward!

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

image_4.jpgimage_4.jpg

#164 8 years ago

So we have the dmd attract mode working,a great step forward.

We have trouble getting the goalie motor going,how do you configure this? as a coil?

Because it ain't a coil and it ain't a flasher?

To go short,we are confused about it! anybody?

Also we decided the shooting gallery needed to be moved to an upper playfield,we had layout troubles,it will be a one flipper upper playfield like our WOZECLE.

We really like shooting the woz castle and decided to sort of copy that set up and implement our "space killers" shooting gallery.

#165 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#166 8 years ago

We have trouble getting the goalie motor going,how do you configure this? as a coil?

configure it as a coil. you'll need to create a scriptlet to run it. basically self.machine.coil.coilname.enable to turn it on and self.machine.coil.coilname.disable to turn it off.
i can let you have my ramp lifter code which uses a motor and up and down switch to sense position if it helps.

#167 8 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

i can let you have my ramp lifter code which uses a motor and up and down switch to sense position if it helps.

That would be great!

#168 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#169 8 years ago

We received some cool parts today, main colors will be blue and yellow on the playfield.
We decided to give the machine a somewhat dark vibe as we use gru's house as a backbox and the playfield will be a bright explosion of color and lights

#170 8 years ago

Note the transparant flipper buttons.. We are mounting color changing leds behind them,during attract mode it will look really nice and detailed.

#171 8 years ago

Because it ain't a coil and it ain't a flasher?

Hmm, yeah, we probably should have used a more generic name like 'driver' instead of 'coil', but yes, 'coil', is how you want to define it. 'coil' is just describing a type of feature for which you can use standard functions like (enable, pulse, disable, pwm, etc). The actual feature on the machine could be a magnet, flasher, motor, coil, etc... really anything you want to programmatically turn on/off.

BTW - I'm loving the updates. This is a really cool project!

- Gerry
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com

#172 8 years ago

Quote: Had my first listen today. Got thru the latest episode on my drive to and from work. Really enjoyed the show and will catch up and keep listening.

There is a show? A podcast?

#173 8 years ago

No we don't have a clue what that post was about...

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Had my first listen today. Got thru the latest episode on my drive to and from work. Really enjoyed the show and will catch up and keep listening.

I want what he's on.

#175 8 years ago

P-roc power!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#176 8 years ago

You get a discount for p3.

#177 8 years ago

That looks cool

#178 8 years ago

Hey! Today is Friday

Chris

#179 8 years ago

We ordered real pretty inserts this week in the usa,on what planet are inches handy?
It was brutal to figure out?
30 millimeter is a lot more logic to us than 1 3/16 inch?
We ordered a lot of clear and starburst blue and yellow inserts.
Also ordered an autoplunger assembly (like cirqus voltaire),4 blue targets with corresponding blue inserts and a 1 drop target at pinball life.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#180 8 years ago

Also we bought a real cool secondhand williams 3 drop target bank with nc switches

image.jpgimage.jpg

#181 8 years ago

We made a rough sketch to roughly count the needed inserts..

image.jpgimage.jpg

#182 8 years ago

We replaced the playfield board as we made a giant hole in the playfield for the old setup for the space mission ufo target building.
We figured it would be nice to mount some of our new stuff on the playfield.
It was a shock to see what we already mounted to the old prototype playfield and it took us roughly 7 hours straight.
The result is amazing though, we also made a new plywood backboard on the playfield.
Also drilled the hole for the targets on the upper playfield.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

#184 8 years ago

You can use the old ones if you like.
Sanding the playfield first than hammer them out.
I didn't have red ones for my project so i recycled them.
Make shure you have something just as big as the insert and hammer them out.
I didn't warm them up, just a strong 1 blow.

For the new ones sand them down first because the inserts are harder than the playfield wood so you get trouble sanding them down
Make shure the inserts don't fit exactly, you need hamer force to put them on place.
Or the get loose.
I used wood glue water proof.

There will be a time that there is not must to see, but still a lot of work.
So don't give up......... take your time.

Maybe next year together side by side on the dpo 2016.

Great job guy's keep the update's going.

#185 8 years ago

Real nice ringed posts, we also have some ringed inserts so that will blend nicely

image.jpgimage.jpg

#186 8 years ago

Great update. My kids and I love them. Great job.

#187 8 years ago

Thanks so much! Motivating words!
We worked till 02:00 again yesterday...zzz:

#188 8 years ago

Looks great.

#189 8 years ago

This thing has been bugging us for a while, the machine sometimes denies to pop up a ball.
It says after the through 5 receives the ball, the playfield balls went to -1.
Anybody?
It also often registers a duplicate switch state during the game.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#190 8 years ago

This thing has been bugging us for a while, the machine sometimes denies to pop up a ball.
It says after the through 5 receives the ball, the playfield balls went to -1.
Anybody?
It also often registers a duplicate switch state during the game.

image.jpg

You would be better off posting this in the Mission Pinball forums. Brian and Gabe, as well as the other MPF users, are less likely to see a post like this here than they would on the MPF forum.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#191 8 years ago

So we found out that the upperplayfield needed an extra corner in order to fit the baseplate for the upper flipper assembly

image.jpgimage.jpg

#192 8 years ago

Some nice new parts from a german pinball shop

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#193 8 years ago

Now obviously we have to remove the upper playfield a lot in order to acces the playfield underneath

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#194 8 years ago

So we soldered in a nice piece of automotive cable with real nice durable connectors,so we can disconnect the playfield if needed.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#195 8 years ago

So that is working! Real powerful flipper on the upper playfield,working switches,and we bought a nice big toy for the playfield...MINION BOB!
We will fit a scoop assembly in his belly and we will put general illumination in his body,he lights up beautiful,we checked!
Bob is actually a nightlamp,so it will fit our machine perfectly!
The size is also perfect, we are real happy with bob.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#196 8 years ago

So we are real happy with the progress,what do you guys think?
Will the minion Bob scoop be a nice shot?

#197 8 years ago

Loving it so far!

Great work!
Chris

#198 8 years ago

This is really a great project. Seeing the evolution from the ground up is amazing.

#199 8 years ago

Love the Bob. Looking good, keep up the great work.

#200 8 years ago

Keep up the great work!

There are 5,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-are-building-a-minions-pinball-updates-every-friday/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.