(Topic ID: 135580)

We are building a minions pinball! updates every friday!

By pinballrockstar

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
EFC269AB-5D93-4B65-9165-9B267B75A0E0 (resized).jpeg
1426F57C-7247-41F7-A2A7-72235E9DC4BD (resized).jpeg
E3FF5C57-0180-42A0-9476-94350E201A68 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
39C08953-4D4C-4DD8-9C2A-6579B003BC45 (resized).jpeg
DB581720-F7B5-49C9-82E0-988BB31E3E40 (resized).jpeg
1D92915A-06EB-4DA2-B332-A474685CC5F2 (resized).jpeg
2C0097ED-F679-4B58-A149-5000649F3C25 (resized).jpeg
1C3AA014-8106-49B8-AE1D-9220A0F1F795 (resized).jpeg
24546761-41B3-49EB-856F-08D6845058D4 (resized).jpeg
D4A5A377-42FD-4AE8-ABFC-B28C11805526 (resized).jpeg
King Bob Smiling (resized).jpg
D304630B-9A83-4850-8C3E-81BFC1879C56 (resized).png
ED6F8516-386D-4FF0-AF06-43E3FA89FAF8 (resized).jpeg
There are 5,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 103.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

What an Amazing Project!
Thrilled that you guys will be taking the time to share!!!!!

It does not matter who's or which project you follow on the internet,the movies/updates always ends halfway...which is sad because it is so inspiring to follow someones project to the end.
We guess that mostly life overrules peoples projects as everybody has obligations in life.
We will take this all the way to the finish line as a bunch of P-ROC noobs so hopefully we will inspire some of you guys out there to build your machine.
And along the way in this topic we will share how we did stuff and add usefull links.
Tomorrow we are going to insert a temporary whitewood and install flippers,ball through, in/out lane and slingshots.
We isolated all the coils,lamps,switches that we removed from the playfield,so the wiring harness is almost loose from the playfield.
It felt like a good way to roll,so you can flip an empty whitewood,put fun stuff on it and see if it feels "rewarding"to shoot these objects.
We want to(by the way) be the first pinball build with an animated 3d shaped backbox (with color lcd ofcourse) as backboxes are very boring,they also lost all functionality with the newer boards like Stern's SPIKE system,it doesn't need to house an entire PC anymore,it is sort of a lit billboard nowerdays.
We have some real fun ideas with some minions on and in Gru's house behind the window and such,interacting and moving with modes.
More updates tomorrow,thank you all for your enthousiasm!

#52 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#53 8 years ago

Finally got this sucker out

image.jpgimage.jpg

#54 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

#55 8 years ago

The new temporary playfield is in,the machine still worked and we have a flipping whitewood now.
We copied the bally flipper geometry so it plays real well.
So now the fun part,making fun stuff to shoot!

#56 8 years ago

So you're telling me you have something in 3 weeks that John himself couldn't do in 4 years?
Bravo! I love this thread!

Chris

#57 8 years ago

I have only one complaint....I am not seeing enough beer in the photos!

Looking Good!

#58 8 years ago

You guys are fast!

#59 8 years ago

Please tell me you're not using MDF, you'll hate yourself later.

#60 8 years ago

The easy part is done now.
Lets see some real progress next week.

#61 8 years ago

Nice project, to do the second "despicable me"-pin..

Keep on

The first one was an complete home-made-pinballmachine by Brennraum..

look at http://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/showthread.php?t=104485

Greetings, Olli

#62 8 years ago

you need too add bannana decals to any drop targets

#63 8 years ago

THIS.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#64 8 years ago

awesome ..........did not think about bannana flippers

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Please tell me you're not using MDF, you'll hate yourself later.

We have 4 of those mdf boards,figuring we will screw up a lot,it is temporary..

Quoted from vinnie-jack:

Nice project, to do the second "despicable me"-pin..

This one gets finished,that's the difference...like i said,a lot of these projects end half way when the hard part comes along...

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

So you're telling me you have something in 3 weeks that John himself couldn't do in 4 years?
Bravo! I love this thread!

Thank you,we are pleased too,i see you are a python anghelo fan?

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I have only one complaint....I am not seeing enough beer in the photos!

Got to stay sharp,a drunk pinball build is the road downhill,lol

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Thank you,we are pleased too,i see you are a python anghelo fan?

Oh yes. I like all the designers for one reason or another, but Python was far more animated and you could just imagine that his mind never stopped. Ever. I really wish I had gotten the chance to meet him.

Loving your project! Enjoy the ride!

Chris

#67 8 years ago

MDF bad idea even for prototyping. As you screw into it it creates a little hill and mechs won't sit flush, this is a bigger issue if you have to start moving things around, e.g. to adjust an angle, move a post, etc. also when when you remove a screw, it makes the 'hill' bigger and then you need to sand it down and that just becomes annoying. Also if you do re-insert a screw, MDF does not hold all that well with a hard firing mech, like a sling shot, so they will loosen up a lot quicker. Save yourself the aggravation and on the next iteration move to plywood.

#68 8 years ago

Not only that bit there is no strength on it. When building a prototype you'll be lifting the playfield a lot. With all the weight on it don't be surprised when it snaps in half.

#69 8 years ago

Yes, agreed, we predrill everything to surpass that issue,but next will be plywood for sure,mdf sucks bigtime

#70 8 years ago

Looks like a great project guys, I love the custom head!!

I think Brian Madden is really under-selling the MPF. It's an awesome tool, super easy to use and "program" your game, and you'll get the professional looking results and performance you want.

Also, I've used both PROC and FAST hardware in my games, and if it's not too late for you guys, you really should consider going the FAST route. It's super easy to setup and use, works with multiple computer platforms (Windows and Linux, including the single-board stuff like Beagle Bone and RPi2), it's compatible with the Mission Pinball Framework, and best of all, it's "driverless". Meaning, no funky installation of drivers that don't work half the time.

The FAST guys are always adding new features, and currently support NeoPixle-style RGB LEDs natively on their driver boards.

Hope this helps!

Brian C.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from briancox:

you really should consider going the FAST route. It's super easy to setup and use, works with multiple computer platforms (Windows and Linux, including the single-board stuff like Beagle Bone and RPi2), it's compatible with the Mission Pinball Framework, and best of all, it's "driverless". Meaning, no funky installation of drivers that don't work half the time.

The FAST guys are always adding new features, and currently support NeoPixle-style RGB LEDs natively on their driver boards.

That sounds REALLY promising! Pricing doesn't look bad either
https://squareup.com/market/fast-pinball-llc

Sounds like the documentation is still behind
http://fastpinball.com/hardware

#72 8 years ago

Have to follow this!

#73 8 years ago

I'm also using the FAST platform for Spaceballs, so as I learn, I'm more than willing to help answer any questions that come up if I can.

I'll be leveraging the MPF as well, but in a slightly different way.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from briancox:

Also, I've used both PROC and FAST hardware in my games, and if it's not too late for you guys, you really should consider going the FAST route. It's super easy to setup and use, works with multiple computer platforms (Windows and Linux, including the single-board stuff like Beagle Bone and RPi2), it's compatible with the Mission Pinball Framework, and best of all, it's "driverless". Meaning, no funky installation of drivers that don't work half the time.
Hope this helps!
Brian C.

Hey Brian,

Not sure if you're aware that I wrote a new windows installer for the P-ROC software suite that seems to have fixed the installation headaches for most everyone on Windows. I don't think saying that the "drivers don't work have the time" is even slightly accurate. It's the installation process with the old installer that was problematic for folks.

Anyway, I applaud Brian for not trying to hijack this awesome progress thread with a sales pitch for MPF or the Fast vs P-ROC nonsense. Plenty of other threads have this covered already. Since Fast has now started shipping hardware, I'm eager to hear from more real users what concrete benefit the Fast boards have, but again, not in this thread specifically.

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Sounds like the documentation is still behind
http://fastpinball.com/hardware

That's on me. I had a family vacation coming (on it now) and I was running out of time to get ready to go. Proud to say that programming, testing, packing and shipping FAST hardware was the time suck. Some projects needed their hardware with hopes to make it to Expo in October with their games!

I will be chilling at my in-laws place this week with documentation #1 on the list. For those who have already bought hardware we have a set of Google Docs we share that includes all the FAST Pin Protocol documentation for direct hardware communication (it is what the MPF uses to talk to our boards) as well as quickstart guides and diagrams. A bit crude still, but gets the job done. I intend for the public docs to be prettier. The early users have been awesome asking questions and making suggestions that will make the cleaned up set of public documents better than we could have done in a first pass.

I would love to see a rad title like Minions running on FAST. My wife is a huge fan. I had gone as far as working up a Minions art package for my portable pinball machine to dress it up for Expo last year, but ran out of time.

FAST or not, I love seeing more people making new pinball! Don't give up!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#76 8 years ago

Hi everybody,
So we dove into the MPF(we actually use MPF as a shortcut for "Minions Play Field"LOL).
We found this:

We’re also building MPF so that it’s hardware-independent. MPF currently supports Multimorphic (P-ROC and P3-ROC) and FAST Pinball (Core, WPC, and Nano) controllers, and if anyone else enters the pinball controller market, we’ll try to support them as well!

Does this mean MPF works with P-ROC and FAST hardware?

And does the FAST board need additional boards or is it kind of the same as a P-ROC in a WCS?

We will buy the FAST hardware in a heartbeat,we really want the easy way for coding and a pro result.

This won't be the last we build,so the P-ROC will be used anyway

Team minions pinball

#77 8 years ago

MPF runs on both. P-ROC is compatible with your WCS's WPC-89 driver board so you could avoid buying driver boards or switch boards (if you were so inclined).

There's a good thread where I try to break down the Fast is cheaper pricing myth, here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-game-p3-roc-or-fast#post-2580772

To be clear, they're priced about the same for custom builds. If you're able to reuse an driver board from a WPC, WPC-S, or WPC-95 era machine, I believe the P-ROC will come out to be cheaper.

There's a lot in that thread. I think some of it is helpful.

I am biased. I've been using P-ROC for nearing on four years and have spent a lot of time contributing code to that community (including PyProcGameHD+SkeletonGame and PyProcGameVGA before it).

I'm loathe to come into threads and advertise PyProcGameHD or the P-ROC/P3-ROC, but misinformation seems to always pull me in to defend it.

#78 8 years ago

It took me 30-35 hours to convert all game code, create new assets to use the newer pyprocgameHD, and I was flat out on it. It is worth every last minute of my time though.

#79 8 years ago

Mic with the proto backbox with ambilight, it is from another dimension!

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

#80 8 years ago

Nice!

Robet

#81 8 years ago

Gerry stellenberg delivered today!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#82 8 years ago

We ripped off the backbox,a temporary plywood holds the boards in place behind our prototype "house of gru".
The temporary ambilight looks really nice.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#83 8 years ago

Hi everybody,
So we dove into the MPF(we actually use MPF as a shortcut for "Minions Play Field"LOL).
We found this:
We’re also building MPF so that it’s hardware-independent. MPF currently supports Multimorphic (P-ROC and P3-ROC) and FAST Pinball (Core, WPC, and Nano) controllers, and if anyone else enters the pinball controller market, we’ll try to support them as well!
Does this mean MPF works with P-ROC and FAST hardware?
And does the FAST board need additional boards or is it kind of the same as a P-ROC in a WCS?
We will buy the FAST hardware in a heartbeat,we really want the easy way for coding and a pro result.
This won't be the last we build,so the P-ROC will be used anyway
Team minions pinball

Very cool. The FAST WPC Controller fits the exact same footprint as the WPC controller you removed. This was a big deal to us because we wanted the user to have all the existing wiring line right up to where it plugged into the old controller, plus you get the control of 256 RGB LEDs built in.

PM me when you have a minute and we can get you in on the first batch of FAST WPC Controllers.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#84 8 years ago

nice progress guys, looking forward to the next instalment

#85 8 years ago

Following!!!

#86 8 years ago

pinballcontrollers.com/wiki should be the "getting started"page (so says the papers that came with P_ROC),but that is a blank page??anybody??

#87 8 years ago

Something seems wrong with the Wiki. All the content is still there if you click on the source but the pages aren't being rendered properly. Weird. This was happening on someone else's site I visited last week. I'll let Gerry know.

The documentation page with wiring details (connector mappings) is here:
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/index.php/products/p-roc/documentation

If you're running Windows, I have written a new one-click installer to get you going, here:
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=626.msg14604#msg14604

I can link you to lots of great information about programming pyprocgame or PyProcGameHD, too.

pinballcontrollers.com/wiki should be the "getting started"page (so says the papers that came with P_ROC),but that is a blank page??anybody??

#88 8 years ago

wow. that backbox looks amazing. This is the kind of innovation pinball needs.

#89 8 years ago

Ooo la la!

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

wow. that backbox looks amazing. This is the kind of innovation pinball needs.

Ditto, love the new back box design, truly unique.

Have fun with the PROC, its a great product with a huge support group ready and willing to provide help and encouragement. I LOVE despicable me and cant wait to see what you guys do with this.

#91 8 years ago

where will the dmd go or will it be placed inside the playfield?

#92 8 years ago

The color lcd will be located in the roof,as you probably see in the pics, one part of the roof has no shingles on it,with the purpose of integrating the lcd over there.

#93 8 years ago

So the right slingshot has been out of order since we bought the ol' wcs.
Today in a spare hour i decided to look in to it,after checking fuses,voltages and checking switch responses i was quite puzzled, cause all the voltages were okay ?the simple luck search that followed found this empty spot on the driver board...there appeared to be an entire transistor absent.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#94 8 years ago

Today we put in the pop bumpers and our first TOY!
It is the shooting gallery in which the kids try to win the fluffy unicorn.
The goalie mechanics are retro fitted as the UFO.
It is a first mock up from toys we actually took from our kids.
The final one will resemble the one in the cartoon.
Also note the black area shaped as Gru,that is going to be the cut out for the lower playfield where the ball locks via a subway ramp.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#95 8 years ago

The rules for the shooting gallery will be:
Shoot the moving ufo target three times,win the fluffy unicorn, if you miss it, the ball exits in to the unit and subways to the vuk and returns to your flipper and the mode ends, then you have to activate the mode again and shoot the 4 targets again( twice this time)that are now located on the left side of the playfield.(former these were 4 roll over targets which we converted to a target bank)

image.jpgimage.jpg

#96 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#97 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#98 8 years ago

Todays inspiration was brought to you by Johnny Walker black label.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#99 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#100 8 years ago

looking good fellas, keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are 5,110 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 103.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-are-building-a-minions-pinball-updates-every-friday/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.