IMG_7755 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7747 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7746 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5223 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #208 TECH: WIRELESS. Fix for if you can't enter wifi settings manually. Posted by Green-Machine (1 year ago)

Post #301 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Gabby Mech adjustment details Posted by pinball_keefer (1 year ago)

Post #1330 TECH: Duke Caboom topper error message possible fix Posted by Jamieryan71 (1 year ago)

Post #1753 TECH:PLAYFIELD. EOS switch error fix Posted by ls1chris (1 year ago)

Post #1844 Sources to check for scratched glass on LEs Posted by Jamwin (1 year ago)

Post #2141 Topper Power issue resolved with updated power cable Posted by Navystan (1 year ago)

Post #2299 Fix for CE apron cards hitting glass Posted by KingBW (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#149 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

The game manual is now up. If anyone wants to start reading up on the game.
https://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/support/downloads/

Unfortunately TS4 is another crappy post-Butch-firing JJP manual. The flipper assembly parts diagrams are COMPLETELY MISSING. Also, a bunch of the pages have what look like DOS screen caps with nasty text. Despite assurances JJP's TS4 manual would be an uptick towards Butch quality again, it's nowhere close. Actually much worse than the GnR one.

#150 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

How long is it taking for LE's anyone get an arrival date yet? I thinking about ordering one just want to know what the wait is..

Really depends on the distributor, but many are already getting their customer orders for it shipped now. I'll have mine Thursday. If you call around, you might be able to snag one for immediate shipping.

#160 1 year ago

Karl has fixed his coil-sleeve-less right flipper and wired up all three flippers for real-time temps and will be streaming Toy Story 4 tonight starting at 7pm PDT on his iepinball twitch channel, a little less than an hour from now:
https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball

He said he missed a multi-mode-to-qualify multiball on the first stream Monday and will be going for that tonight as well as completely finishing the game (both sides of Meet me at the Carousel).

EDIT: Live now, with the new 1.06 code...
karl_ts4_1.06 code_2022-06-22-sml (resized).jpgkarl_ts4_1.06 code_2022-06-22-sml (resized).jpg

Phantom Action Button reflex:
https://clips.twitch.tv/LuckyCrispyFoxStoneLightning-JRw_PgNOdH8gwNUE

#163 1 year ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I’ve seen multiple posts about people “blowing up the code” and finishing the game, and it’s only a week old.
What’s the truth to this? Is it that easy? Will this game have any lastability?

The ones that are finishing both sides (woody and buzz endings) and actually completing the game are very good players. But finishing one side is apparently do-able for a merely good player. But that's not finishing the game.

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

-I've scored 11 million something, and basically did everything except the bo-peep loops and whatever comes after. I'm seeing scores 4-5 times that, assuming I need to learn to work the playfield multiplier. From what I can tell, the only way to get it is the spinner wheel, hit the side target, and then 2x lights. Hitting Duke Kaboom moves it up from 2x to 3x, 3x to 4x, etc. Is this right?

Multipliers seem to be the answer here. Karl had two balls where he had 78x multiplier (one ball he had it held).

Also, Karl just pointed out that Fireworks is broken. 500k shots forever if you cradle the balls on the right and shoot on the left. He did it for a long time before just quitting to continue playing the game.

#169 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I just shot 19 million without the benefit of a multiplier, took forever. Went through most scenes twice. Couldn’t do the wizard because I can’t figure out the Bo-Peep loops. I guess I need to learn the multiplier and Bo-peep scene!
My woody spinner seems to be mostly stuck open )pic attached), so not getting credit for hitting it, ball just passes under. Any suggestions?[quoted image]

Did you try bending it a little on the side that isn't straight to give it a little more clearance on the inside between the wire and the bracket? Karl also lubricates his spinners a smidge.

Mine's still enroute, so I can't offer any firsthand advice, just stuff based on what I've seen on streams.

#171 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Will try tomorrow!

Get the spinner working right first (may have to bend/tweak both sides to get it setting right and with enough clearance inside the bracket), then use super lube to reduce friction so it spins well. Apparently Karl's woody spinner was a mess out of the box, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BXOGHY

#179 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

Would make more sense to do the Benson dummy as the bash toy for this movie.

The posts that pop up are the dummies. It's printed on the playfield in front of them.

#199 1 year ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

So…. I’m trying to set up Wi-Fi and the only option it’s showing is using QR code. Any other options? QR isn’t working

Direct link to download 1.06 for USB full install (if that's what you're looking for):

https://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/ts/ToyStory4-v01.06.iso

As with all usb installs, you need ubootnetin to turn this iso into a bootable USB that you can use to install 1.06 in the game.

Full install usb instructions:
https://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/general/install-full

#202 1 year ago

I was going to set up scorebit and Wi-Fi downloading

I know there were scorebit issues. Karl couldn't even get it to work with 1.06 on the stream, so that may not be in the cards yet, unless it was something specific to his setup.

#207 1 year ago

Great! I’ll give it a try. Thank you!

Nothing there to choose

Maybe it isnt seeing your wifi dongle on the machine? Try reseating or try another usb port?

#209 1 year ago

robbyirl5 had a good point…. I needed to agree to terms before it would open up to connect to WiFi. Thank you all for the help!!

Ah, I was scanning on mobile and missed the part of his post where he mentioned the terms and conditions. Glad you're all set now!

#228 1 year ago

Karl's streaming to finish both sides of TS4 (completely finish) now. He's almost there:

https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball
Karl 2022-06-26 Toy Story4-sml (resized).jpgKarl 2022-06-26 Toy Story4-sml (resized).jpg

EDIT: Finished the game completely (Completed both Woody and Buzz sides of Meet me at the Carousel) with 173 Million, then the game wrapped around and started over.

Huge 43 Million bonus and he has another ball left with the bonus x held:
karl_2022-06-26_big_bonus (resized).jpgkarl_2022-06-26_big_bonus (resized).jpg

Playing the woody wizard mode version for the second time (3rd time through overall) 259 Million to start and he has a huge held bonus multiplier. He's actually well over 300 million once the bonus is added:
Karl_2022_06_26_2022 third time to wizard - second woody (resized).jpgKarl_2022_06_26_2022 third time to wizard - second woody (resized).jpg

Almost 100 million bonus and the 267x multiplier held. He's almost 500mil now and just got an extra ball:
Karl_2022_06_26_100mil bonus (resized).jpgKarl_2022_06_26_100mil bonus (resized).jpg

Finished with 522million:

Karl_2022_06_22_Final_score (resized).jpgKarl_2022_06_22_Final_score (resized).jpg
#241 1 year ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

Can we make a list of possible issues to check out of the box? I'll start:
1. Check right flipper gap and ensure it is not binding.
2. Make sure switches are affixed to rails properly
3. Check lockbar for twisting
4. Check playfield rails to make sure they are attached properly

5. Check flipper coil sleeves. Are they all there? Are they the right length? I think this only affected the very earliest shipments, but definitely a thing to check.

#247 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, am I right in thinking the game is a long player?
Wow, that game was 2 hours and 40 minutes long!
Karl needs a few 60's Gottlieb wedgeheads so he knows what its like to have short, quick games

He had a ton of extra balls (almost to the 4th time at the wizard mode, which would be the 2nd complete beating the game in a single playthrough), and it would have been longer but he essentially was tired and just lapping the game, so he quit. Basically limit the extra balls, which the game seems to give out like candy, and your games will be much shorter simply by virtue of the fact that you're not Karl.

#270 1 year ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

Getting 3x stuck EOS switches when I boot my game up. Checked J601 on the board and reseated the connector but did not help. Obviously the EOS switches themselves are gapped properly and working etc. They don't register during switch test. Anyone know anything else I could try before I go to JJP? Might be a dead board?
[quoted image]

On the J-601 connector on the driver board, are the return wires on the right pins? Can you take a picture of that?

#308 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Sorry, what’s not true? I tried updating via WiFi and was getting update failed. After two attempts, I did it via usb and it worked.

You needed a newer version for wifi updates to work, is what he was saying. Now that you have it, future updates should be fine over wifi.

#309 1 year ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

How do I get the kickback to function more reliably? It seems to go down the drain most of the time. Do I adjust the kickback delay downward or upward perhaps? Thanks
By the way I recommend folks check their plungers as mine was clipping the auto plunger. I had to add 3 washers in order to get it to an angle where it didn't do it anymore!

Sometimes adjusting the playfield hangers fixes this. I know hobbit was such a heavy playfield the hangers would sag over time and then the auto-launch would come close enough to nick the shooter rod, robbing it of power.

#312 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

and you can mess with the timing in the coil settings menu

Coil power won't magically raise the auto-launch out of the way so it's not contacting the shooter plunger. That's a physical problem to solve.

Or...am I misunderstanding what you're recommending?

#315 1 year ago

There is a timing delay setting now for the kickback

Haha, sorry. I scanned that and was thinking it was the autolaunch. My bad. Sorry.

#339 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

My only complaint about this game is: I hate playing on location. Hate hate hate.
I went to Cidercade w/ Susan this morning (the only place in Dallas routing the game) and had about 10 minutes of peace and enjoyment before the place filled up and got noisy/hot/crowded.
I feel punished for buying the CE tier as I watch everyone enjoy their LEs.

So get an LE for the 3 month wait and sell it once you have the CE. I had a day one Rush Pro on order for mods and when it was clear it would be a wait before they ran more, I bit the bullet and bought a Rush LE. Did what I needed to do for 6 weeks and sold the LE. My Pro was finally ready in late April, which would have been a disaster had I waited. Sold that one and had it direct shipped to the buyer NIB. So in the end I got both sold and came up maybe $500 short, but it was worth it for the earlier access.

Not EXACTLY the same, but you could be enjoying the same game (less topper) right now instead of waiting 3 months and being aggravated on location.

#342 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

If I did that I'd just get the LE and leave it at that. I don't want to keep buying the same game multiple times.

Problem solved, then! Let the LE game enjoyment commence in T-minus 5 days.

#348 1 year ago
Quoted from PinDeadHead:

If he bailed on his CE wouldn’t he lose his deposit $? My LE deposit was non refundable.
Are everyone else’s deposits non-refundable out of curiosity?

Only if he did it direct through JJP. In my experience most dists would happily shift your deposit to an LE you're going to buy now, freeing up a normally more in-demand CE.

#378 1 year ago
Quoted from Mcgringoloco:

stupid question but how do i move the monitor, its not the same as my DI. the hinge bolts in the head are real loose and need to tighten it

Here's a panel from one of my fan kit instructions that shows the monitor pull-out for newer JJP games...

monitor_removal_sml (resized).jpgmonitor_removal_sml (resized).jpg
#379 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Tell JJP to ship my CE and I'll do one.

Late Sept is so far away...

#404 1 year ago
Quoted from Padrino:

Finally starting to enjoy the game with the flipper adjusted to sit right… Playing this morning and when vibrating I heard what sounded like a screw or nut fall… Turns out 3 of the 4 screws for the coin door were not tightened… Missing a nut completely and found another on the bottom of the cabinet… Wondering what’s next at this pace..

Not uncommon for one or more those screws to arrive in the bottom of the cabinet - from all manufacturers.

#406 1 year ago
Quoted from Padrino:

Did not realize… Maybe my expectations are too high since I would assume everything torqued to at least a reasonable level… As someone that designs hardware made in batches of hundreds/thousands I tend to have sympathy for the things that can be a challenge with small batch hardware but the types of quality issues with the build is a disappointment.. Not asking for a marking torque test sign off, but there is zero indication of a touch on anything for QA….

Yeah, if you want a torque test signoff on coin door thumb screws, your expectations of pinball are WAY too high. JJP gets those pre-assembled and just slaps them in the machine, anyway. They're not actually putting the coin door stuff together at the JJP factory.

#439 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I am tempted to just get an LE and call it done, which I might do if they start to stack up for same-day shipping before the CEs are made.

They're just about there.

#448 1 year ago
Quoted from Jherre6:

Getting mine next week. How are the playfields? Any issues? Hopefully better than the past from JJP?
Also. Sorry first new pin. Are you opening the box inspecting it before signing?

No PF problems on the one I have, but lots of niggly issues that needed adjustment to get it playing well out of the box. Nothing hard, just annoying.

2 weeks later
#551 1 year ago
Quoted from pluto:

I'm pretty new to troubleshooting pins so I'm hoping someone here can help. When my Jump Ramp is in the Up Position (and also when my left ramp diverter is active) there is a loud buzzing noise that can be heard until they switch off. Video shows the buzzing when I'm testing the Jump Ramp in diagnostics.
Anyone know what could be causing this?

If you tighten the bracket or the coil in the bracket, it can help with the buzzing. It's normally not that loud.

#567 1 year ago
Quoted from CoinGuyNinja:

Does it seem like the slingshots by the lower flippers seem a bit weak? All my othrr pins shoot the ball out once they connect but on TS4 it seems like it's sorta just bouncing back and forth.
On a side note, my TS4 had the camera offset for whatever reason so I had to straighten it out. Anyone else have any weird issues like that?

Bump the sling power up a little, BUT offset the power so one is slightly stronger than the other, which will prevent ping-pong sessions.

#568 1 year ago

One magnet. In the Fennel Cake shack diverter.

#575 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Guess I won't be using Silverjets.

I don't think it interacts with the ball, it's just to move the diverter, in the same way the ball lock works on WoZ.

#584 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoreland:

My shooter rod rubber and washer glances the underside of the auto fire kicker and can’t send the ball up the ramp. Anyone know the best way to adjust this easily?

You can bend the playfield hooks that go into the receiver under the lockdown bar so the playfield rests slightly higher. Hobbit also had this problem on the one we had because the immense weight of the playfield gradually bent the hooks and the autolaunch eventually interfered with the manual shooter rod.

Alternately you can build up the part where the playfield hooks attach to the playfield with a washer or washers to raise the playfield a smidge.

#607 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Karl is an absolute legend, no question. I actually avoided his streams because I didn't want spoilers.
Then I watched Zach's stream where he got to the carousel on the first game...

Which wouldn't be terrible IF that was really the halfway point and the "other" path to truly complete the game wasn't the exact same process, only a little harder with ZERO new content to reward you.

I feel like JJP will HAVE to dress it a bit more with additional side modes to break things up a bit, like they had to do with Dialed In to break up the cell phone mode death march. We'll see.

#609 1 year ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Can someone do me a favor if you happen to have the PF up? I had an issue with the take a chance wheel just spinning on boot and found that the opto circuit board had come loose under the wheel. I was able to adjust it fine but found nothing is keeping it place.. I feel like there should be some e-clips or nuts or something there that maybe got missed?. I went to look it up in the manual and was not able to find that mech documented there (which I thought was strange, unless I have totally missed it). If you could snap a pic of what's holding on yours it would be much appreciated. Regardless, will open up a ticket with JJP
[quoted image]

No surprise it wasn't in the terrible manual for Toy Story 4. They don't even have the FLIPPER MECHS in there. Completely left them out. Inexcusable sloppy work for a supposed top-tier manufacturer. How the mighty have fallen. JJP was the undisputed BEST manuals in pinball, and now are moshing at the bottom of the list for the WORST manual spot in pinball. The manual with parts callouts on a PREMIUM machine isn't the place to cut corners.

What am I looking at? Try backing away a bit and if you're using an iphone hold your finger on the focal point until it puts a box around it and focus locks it then send that pic.

#653 1 year ago

Not on the website yet, but here's a direct link for manual download:

https://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/ts/ToyStory4-v01.08.iso

#659 1 year ago
Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

The pin advised me via WiFi that there was an update and I downloaded it and installed it in a couple of minutes via WiFi -- no brainer, the pin and Wifi do it all.

Did you get a 1.08 changelog with the wifi version? Because the website hasn't updated the changelog, so no way to tell what's different.

#664 1 year ago

1.08 was released early for wifi users and is coming to the website shortly.

The code's already there just without a link (I posted the direct link), they just didn't update the changelog.

#671 1 year ago

Such an ongoing half-assed, amateur-hour effort.

The pages with the terrible screen-cap-looking menu trees are still there
The flipper mechs completely missing in the last one were thrown in at the END of the section instead of near the beginning where they customarily go.
The wheel mech is STILL completely missing.
The above playfield mech section is an inscrutable photo instead of an illustration.
The schematics are jpgs instead of scalable EPS vector graphics so when they're ganged up and you zoom in to get labels they are an illegible mess instead of scaling up smoothly like the PotC one and other JJP manuals from before do. Forget about doing diagnostics with the TS4 ones. They might as well leave them out rather than what they did. They're LITERALLY useless for diagnostic work.

toy-story-4-zoomed-in (resized).jpgtoy-story-4-zoomed-in (resized).jpg
POTC-zoomed-in (resized).jpgPOTC-zoomed-in (resized).jpg

The menu trees are the worst because it's LITERALLY a 10-15 minute fix. The example below is how they look and the fix that took me literally 15 minutes - and that's for the first one. The others on the other pages that have them are similar, so they could be just modified versions of this page's tree, which would take even less time to fix. So maybe 30 minutes to fix all the menu tree pages so they don't look pathetic. If this is being done in Illustrator (where it should be), the person doing it has no idea how to do it because ALL these charts should be scalable with no loss of resolution no matter how large you make them.

Current sad manual page
Page 8 example.jpgPage 8 example.jpg
Fixed
Page 8 example-fixed.jpgPage 8 example-fixed.jpg

Key mech still missing from the new attempt at a manual:
spinning wheel mech.pdfspinning wheel mech.pdf

#674 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Peel Butch Peel

I mean, I think it's terrible what JJP management did to Butch. It was also bad for JJP - an unforced error. But it's not like ANY proficient technical writer couldn't lay this manual out in their sleep. They have clearly inexperienced (probably cheaper) people doing this now, and it shows. The schematics section, especially, is unusable due to the way this was done that doesn't allow scaling at full res. The blobby mess you get makes it next to impossible to follow the schematics.

If JJP didn't have a record of the crème de la crème of pinball manuals due to Butch's talent before they unceremoniously canned him, it wouldn't be so GLARING how awful the JJP manuals are now.

#676 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The manual is impossible to read when you zoom in, like you said.

It's because it was created incorrectly. The person doing it doesn't know what they are doing. JJP needs to fork over a few more bucks to get an actual technical writer with layout experience to fix it. Will they? Probably not.

#678 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Alright here we go!
Give Lloyd new games and info when they come out.
Rehire Butch Peel with a raise
Talk David Theil into being their sound man forever!
I’m done

Lloyd is ready whenever they are, he's made that clear.
Butch is happily (it seems) over at CGC and unlikely to come back where he's not wanted.
I *sincerely hope* JJP has hooked up with David Thiel again after Deeproot imploded. His prior work for them was without peer.

#680 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Surprised you didn't throw in "remake Pirates" in that wish list

That's a $12k LE no one would complain about.

1 week later
#759 1 year ago
Quoted from indybru:

The Pinside rating is just plain crazy. Is there another Pat Lawler pinball rated lower?

NASCAR (205), but it deserves it.

#769 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

We’re you able to get through both characters (buzz and woody)? Watching the stream it seems it gets harder the 2nd time around.
Wondering what your thoughts are on that.

Yeah, you have to get through both characters on meet me at the Carousel to truly "complete" the game. But boo on Katz/Lawlor for just making it the same journey but harder to to the second character. There should be some new content on the other character so there's some incentive to DO it. Harder for the sake of harder alone is lame. Hoping they fix that like they eventually fixed the boring cell phone progression on Dialed In.

#794 1 year ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

IMHO, many of the people complaining of shallow code/lack of depth are the ones who are relying on watching a stream or maybe playing it once or twice on location. Having owned it for a month or so now, I don't find it shallow or lacking depth at all. That being said, there is always room for improvement. Others will have differing opinions, which is fine. YMMV

It CERTAINLY needs some kind of differentiation between the two character completions of Meet Me at the Carousel so you're not doing the same things, only more annoyingly hard. It also needs some other objectives to break up the pervasive carnival-itis. There's a lot going on at the Antique store in the movie, and the game has those two controllable benson posts. Seems like they could make something cool with that.

But the only major complaint I have with the game isn't the code or depth but the sound package. It is really annoying, IMO. Not enough variety in themes, and the sound effects and callouts don't work well together, but seem to just jump into the echo chamber and make an unpleasant cacophony way too often. The comparison between what the mobile game developer who did the sound for TS4 turned in and what David Thiel did for JJP is STARK. I don't expect it to be fixed because it's a pervasive issue that would require a complete overhaul of TS4's system, and that's not happening. I just turned it way down, which is a bummer. PotC, Hobbit and GnR were never turned down.

Anyway, that's my perspective on it. Yeah, the code and depth could use a little work, but the sound package and integration is the real issue, IMO. For operators, though, it's a beautiful game that will attract casual players all day long, and since the volume is usually low on location, the sound isn't a big issue for them.

#809 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

This is probably a dumb question, but how are tickets collected and what do they mean?

Ramps to collect tickets (skill shot and mystery also award them).

They mean Lawlor was the designer. He has a ticket fixation.

#847 1 year ago
Quoted from ViNsEDj:

Hi guys, finally got mine and im really happy and impressed. Im trying the bluetooth feature with no luck, I´ve tried 2 different accesories, my airpods and a bluetooth speaker. It detects all of them, it says connecting...but no luck...any clue? Too many tries. Thanks.

Airpods do not seem to work with JJPs setup. SOMETIMES you can see them, but they never seem to connect.

#874 1 year ago
Quoted from Hulkbuster:

What is the size of the upper mini flipper? Is it a standard size? I was looking to replace with Precision flippers and didn’t know what size to purchase. Please help. Thanks.

Seems to be another major oversight in the poor Toy Story 4 "my first pinball manual," EVEN AFTER the kludge Aug revision that added in the main flippers, but still left out the entire wheel mech.

Really, JJP. Hire a professional with EXPERIENCE working with vector art and diagrams to fix this mess and do your next ones. The fall from #1 in pinball manuals where you were to whatever basement you're currently in is painful when your customers are just trying to work on their $12k machines.

#908 1 year ago
Quoted from ViNsEDj:

Got a picture of the piece? I spent more than an hour making adjustments in the plunger position with no luck! finally I manage to keep the plunger tip a lil bit down playing with the screws, and its a big difference when shooting, clean plunging now.

It's the playfield hooks. If you grab them with robogrip pliers or large vise grips and bend the hook down just a little, it raises the playfield a smidge so the shooter doesn't drag on the autolaunch. We had to do this on The Hobbit on route because the packed playfield would bend the hooks from the weight.

1 week later
#974 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

From my understanding, medium strength loctite will prevent the bolt from moving with normal operating vibrations and movement, but is weak enough that you can still remove it with a tool.
Typically the values refer to the strength of the product. Hence, if you are scared of not being able to disassemble it. You could just try 222. It's weaker and more likely to fail due to the vibrations, but it should be easy enough to remove if you need to. I personally would just use the 242 or 243. I don't know what is different between those.

Just be VERY careful with the 242 or 243 (blue loctite) around plastic. It weakens or melts plastic over time.

#979 1 year ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

I have loosened the 3 screws did not help, I will try the washers! Thank you LTG, JJP definitely needs you
Will keep you posted

Bending the PF hangers down about 1/4" (which raises the PF and in turn the autolaunch bracket that much) will fix it if adjusting the shooter can't.

#1016 1 year ago
Quoted from rob3:

Here is a temp fix. I’ll prob cut a longer term solution out of acrylic. Message me if you want one.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Raising the L bracket below so it comes up with a spacer would be cleaner/easier if you can't adjust the monitor.

#1043 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Not really. I was looking forward to a new JJP pin (with the level of long-term value they normally bring to the table.)
Instead I'll keep playing POTC, Wonka and Guns.
High hopes for Godfather, we'll see.

Still hoping Godfather is codename for The Matrix. I just don't get the appeal of Godfather as a pin, while Matrix has almost unlimited potential.

#1070 1 year ago
Quoted from Hulkbuster:

Also, I cannot get my plunge to make it up the ramp ever- not once. I loosened and retightened the plunger trying to make sure it was straight. The ball rattles a little and just makes it to the ramp area and goes about an inch up and then falls back. The auto-plunge barely makes it up.
I have slow motion videos of the ball being plunged and going around rail to ramp, but I don’t know how to upload the video. I may keep trying on another post.

Upload the video to youtube, then post the link here and it will auto-insert the youtube video here.

Your autolaunch mech is likely dragging on the plunger spring and vice versa. If you bend the playfield hooks down a tiny bit (like 2mm) it will raise the playfield and stop the dragging. If you look in the window where the spring is visible when launching, you'll probably see the autolaunch move when the ball is manually plunged, which verifies this.

#1073 1 year ago
Quoted from Hulkbuster:

Thanks for the hint on posting videos. I don’t know if this helps show what is not working.

It doesn't look like the plunger is dragging on the auto-launch bracket.

The shooter tip is off-center, though. Loosen the bracket on the inside of the cabinet and move it to the left so the shooter tip is centered left to right on the ball (it only needs to go over about 3mm to get to center) and see if that helps.

#1077 1 year ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

If anyone is interested in a LE or CE I have a deposit with a distributor that I am not going to use. CE could be shipping very soon if you want it. I posted an ad with the details: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/143466

Given that these have recently gone for ~$11k NIB with dist "deals" on the down low, and used on the LE for new out of box is already as low as $10k (I sold mine for $10,995 a month ago with 10 plays on it), this is likely a walk-away deposit situation. Real talk.

crickets.gifcrickets.gif

#1080 1 year ago
Quoted from rob3:

Real talk. You lost $1,005.

Did I?

#1081 1 year ago
Quoted from twinturb089:

So did stranger things, and look where we are now............ coulda shoulda woulda

I don't remember Stranger Things getting blowout NIB pricing. I remember demand being soft, but they all sold. And I've had both. I would have Stranger Things Pro or Prem back in a heartbeat. Not so, TS4.

#1088 1 year ago
Quoted from ShooterMcD:

I just don’t understand why a mod-maker would feel the need to go out of their way to inform someone about how much money they could “blow” on a game deposit in an owners thread. Plenty of other threads out there pooping on this game (I’m enjoying my game) so maybe stick to those threads if you’re not a “fan” of TS4.

Just sharing my experience as a recent, former NIB owner. Mod-making has nothing to do with it. I mean, the fact that I DO that gives me access to every pin release, which is great, but that's it. End of connection. All opinions and experiences are my own. I don't recall telling you that you or anyone else can't enjoy the machine. People like what they like, and that's great.

And actually, you could flip your perspective and see it as me making prospective buyers aware they can get a NIB machine for much less than retail, so shop around. Saving people money, one post at a time.

BTW, thank you for your post! When I gave you a thumbs up (I only give thumbs-up), it triggered the Sore Thumbs 3 pinside achievement:

"Sore Thumbs 3 (Give 5,000 thumbs of which at least 65% positive)"

#1096 1 year ago
Quoted from Hulkbuster:

Ok. My out of box woes continue. I couldn’t get my plunger to push the ball to the ramp. I have re-aligned it completely. Pulled the shaft out to see if it is bent. Nothing. I grabbed an orange spring from one of my original Stern shooter rods (almost discarded when I replaced with upgrades). It now snaps very well and makes the ramp every time. I practice a few times with the power off just to see how it works. It is, however, nearly impossible to gently push to get the Skill shot. Maybe a less strong spring (green?).
I lowered the playfield and power up to play with my new snappy plunger….
I cannot get the game to start. All lights are on, but the start button is not lit. Open the door and the system control buttons internally do not work either. No volume control. Nothing. I cannot get into the system menu or anything. I have powered down and restarted multiple times. I now have nothing but a box of flashing lights.
This is my first JJP. I haven’t had this with any other machine. I’m not sure what I did. Perplexed and frustrated. Please help.

Check your USB connections at that board on the inside left of the cabinet and also in the backbox at the computer behind the LCD monitor.

#1098 1 year ago
Quoted from Hulkbuster:

I pulled out all USBs and reset them. Powered up and it now works!
Thank you PinMonk ! I appreciate your quick and correct advice.

Glad it worked out for you!

I really wish JJP would use locking USB connectors. As they use more and more usb connections, this becomes a bigger hassle because of the machine vibration shaking one or more loose somewhere after a while.

#1100 1 year ago

You can zip tie them to a the wire harness
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That can provide a little more opposing force to keep them in, but isn't a guarantee they'll stay put with shaker motor action over time, and on the other end the connections are often mini-usb and singles, so nothing convenient to zip tie to. A smidge more BoM and JJP could solve this common problem. The cables and connectors already exist.

1 week later
#1225 1 year ago
Quoted from Lobo2k:

If it's by the mod couple there's a good chance you can find the download on the web and 3d print it yourself lol (sorry I'm salty with them, got screwed over twice by them, will never buy again from them).

Huh. First I've heard of this. I assumed all their stuff was their original creation.

#1228 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I doubt this claim of it being freely available.
Look at things like the Kraken - that was very purpose-built to fit onto the whirlpool.

That's why it was surprising to read. All their stuff seemed to be pretty custom-designed (at least the stuff I bought).

#1249 1 year ago
Quoted from Ramzr1:

Hey Guys,
Need some help. Had to take my game apart in order to fix a rubber in the pop bumper area but have run into an issue when putting it back together.
I can’t seem to remember where plastic 11 goes. It has a metal hex post on it, but I can’t seem to find a place it fits.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
[quoted image]

It's a standoff on the left side of the left ramp, basically right at the entrance as an airball protector(?).
plastic-piece-TS4.jpgplastic-piece-TS4.jpg

#1278 1 year ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

lol they must pull numbers out of a hat like a draw, got mine a week ago and its #680.

The plate numbers don't mean anything. The serial numbers are the manufacture order.

#1280 1 year ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

I cannot get my CE connected to the internet. I have accepted the terms and conditions. It says terms accepted. I have the same settings as Wonka with no issues. Anyone else had issues and a fix for this? Just to confirm, I do not a wifi dongle, TS comes with wifi built in correct?
Thank you.

I don't remember if it's different than GnR, but if not, there's a wifi dongle on the board in the cabinet just to the left of the coin door inside. Maybe try reseating it?

#1286 1 year ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

Yeah, the dongle is there. Has green LED showing wifi dongle connectivity. I'm running code 1.09. I'll keep playing with it and trying.
Thanks guys.

You could also try swapping the dongle from your working Wonka to see if your Toy Story 4 just has a bad dongle.

Also, I don't remember for sure, but you may have two dongles, one for bluetooth and one for wifi. It seems I remember two in there. So make sure you're looking at the correct dongle.

#1288 1 year ago
Quoted from ViNsEDj:

Got another thing guys. I´ve noticed that, after trying to plunge 3 times, the auto plunge activates, but, it does really quick, I mean, when the ball goes down, it bounces a lil bit, and when the auto plunge gets in, the ball hasnt stopped yet, so its not hitting it properly and it doesnt get enough power to do the right ramp. If the ball has stopped, it does the right ramp perfectly.
In any other cases, it does perfect, in multiballs, tests...etc. I´ve checked in the menus if there´s an option in which you can change the wait time for this, as you do with the kickback, but no luck for now.
Any clue? Thanks!

Try adjusting the switch wire for the shooter lane so it's lower and doesn't activate as soon. Sounds like the wire is just too high so it's activating at the whiff of an incoming ball.

#1305 1 year ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

i was just told by my distro that my CE which is now fully paid for 30 days ago is delayed and CEs are “off the line” right now. i ordered it in the first 90 seconds through distro. anyone else hearing about CEs off the line?

Trying to rush some early builds of their next pin on the line? One of the live walkthroughs of expo 2022 said the next JJP is rumored to be announced at Expo. Todd Tuckey says Godfather (I hope this is code for Matrix) and someone else said Pee Wee's Playhouse (which would be great, but this is out of left field, first I've heard of it).

I'm surprised this is even a rumor as it seems too soon, but we'll see before long, I guess.

#1313 1 year ago
Quoted from goldsmid:

I received my TS CE a few weeks ago and have had an error from the start. The error is "TOPPER SWITCHES - Check topper switch #D151, Duke Wheel Flag Opto (topper) (stuck closed)"
I sent the error to Jersey Jack, but they have not responded for two weeks. This is not cool given how much this machine costs. Since Jersey Jack does not want to support their products well, I am hoping that someone here could help.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?
[quoted image]

Does your Duke Kaboom "jump" on the topper occasionally like it's supposed to?

#1314 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Get Butch back, they aren't in the friggen manual. One dedicated switch matrix or map of location.

Butch ain't coming back, that train has left the station and he's being awesome for another company now. JJP REALLY screwed up when they canned him. The whole Pat Lawlor "pins don't need manuals" ethos at work here. What a joke. JJP needs to hire a REAL technical writer again to get something in the ballpark of a usable and complete parts, assembly AND repair reference manual for their $15,000 pins. Essentially what Butch provided for them before they canned him.

#1323 1 year ago
Quoted from goldsmid:

It does, so it might be working properly, but I do not know because it has always had this error.
It is also crazy annoying that every time I turn the machine on it shows the error.

Sounds to me like it may be a software error due to CE topper functionality tested much less since it's not an LE. PotC had one where it would put up an error if you didn't shoot and make the cannon shot in a very short period of time. It was a mistake of overly-aggressive diagnostics that was fixed by loosening up the criteria in later software releases. If your duke is working, this sounds like the same thing. I'd report the potential software error to JJP or pinball_keefer and hope they fix it in the next revision.

BUT, if you want to check, you can go into switch test mode, get on a ladder with a strip of paper about 1" wide and 6" long and climb up so you can manually interrupt the optos and see if they register in the switch test. I'm betting they do and it's a software diagnostics mistake.

#1327 1 year ago
Quoted from goldsmid:

I hope it is an easy software bug that will be fixed, but if it were a software bug wouldn’t every CE owner be seeing this error?
Are other CE owners seeing the error?

If it's like the PotC diagnostic issue, it depends on their play style and how often they get that Duke jump animation to happen on the topper. So it is possible that some never or almost never see it.

#1346 1 year ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

Any way to pump up the power on the slings? Mine keep bouncing back and forth. I've tried juicing the coil strength on one to max and leaving the other but its not enough.

They're 20v, so not a lot to work with. Having the power offset (one more than the other) is the best way to minimize the ping-ponging, but it takes some trial and error to find the right combo for yours. I'd start with them only a couple apart and test, repeat from there until you find the best choice.

#1399 1 year ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Captured this video of TS4 slings battling it out at Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown. This happened a few times in one game.

I don't know why JJP doesn't adjust the slings at offset power from the factory to prevent this. Also, it probably wasn't at the right pitch. This condition can be adjusted out.

All that said, 20V slings SUCK. JJP really needs to give them full power.

#1428 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

I am getting an error code anyone have any ideas
It’s
check matrix switch #42 right loop enter (stuck closed)
Thank you for the help and time

You just need to adjust (likely bend the arm slightly) the switch on the right orbit entrance. It's probably just stuck down because the arm needs to be adjusted to give it room to extend fully. Go to switch test mode and the graphic on the right will have a red dot on the location of the switch that needs adjustment.

#1430 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

I don’t have the machine in-front of me until tmmrw
I’m a complete total newb I’m sorry but is this switch on the top or bottom side of the playfield right orbit?
I just don’t understand what You mean by “bend the arm”
Apologize for the silly questions ; I can’t believe how much self learning is involved in pinball;
I literally just got my toy story a month ago
One issue keeps appearing when I fix another LoL
I’ve got a tech coming in 10 days to install some mods hopefully I can troubleshoot this on my own
Thank you so much for the help !!!

The switch base is under the playfield. The arm extends out to a wire that bends as it pokes through a hole in the playfield. When the ball rolls over the exposed wire it pushes it down, pushing the arm down that's below the playfield and triggering the switch.

My *guess* is the arm is bent too high so the switch actuator button is constantly pressed and when the ball rolls over it just presses an already pressed button which doesn't DO anything. You just need to bend the arm down (from under the PF) a little so it's not activating the switch until the wire is depressed by the ball rolling over it above the playfield.

This is a video on adjusting a switch on Ultraman (with the opposite problem - their switch ISN'T triggering well, whereas yours is ALWAYS ON), but the same principles apply and it should give you an idea about what to do on Toy Story 4:

#1434 1 year ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

So I went to inspect the machine and basically the gate past the right ramp got caught on zip ties and was stuck open;
All I had to do was drop the gate here is a pic of the culprit;
Notice the wires and zip ties near the gate that’s what got it stuck open ;
Easier fix than I thought !
[quoted image]

Great news! Now tackle those mods and save the tech money for a multimeter!

1 month later
#1791 1 year ago
Quoted from EndorisLit1:

Hi All! Hoping for some help. I purchased a NIB LE about 6 weeks ago. Love the game. About 40-50 plays so far. Game began to crash the other night. Literally shuts down midgame. Was not on for a long period of time was my first game of the evening. Attempting to turn in back on would result in an initial flash from the back box and play field led flash but then nothing. I gave it an hour and left it off. It booted up but again but into the first game it happened again.

Sounds like your power cord is loose in back and intermittently losing connection from the shaking/movement. Take off the cover and check that it's securely plugged into the back of the machine.

(This is not an uncommon problem on JJP machines, btw. JJP really should use power cord clips or a locking power cord to stop this)

#1793 1 year ago
Quoted from EndorisLit1:

Thank you, but unfortunately not the issue cords in there pretty tight. You can hear a quiet buzz coming from the machine when I turn it back on. As mentioned im getting the JJP pop, back box and play field flash and thats it. So its definitely getting juice but wont start the boot process. Fuse or software perhaps? Hard drive?

Are all the lights on at the left side of the board below the metal computer box in the backbox (with the coin door closed)?

3 months later
#2328 1 year ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Is this cheating? Anyway I’m now able to make multiple upper loop shots. It fits like it was made for it. Also seeing more loops on balls bouncing close to the longer flipper.
[quoted image]

It's only cheating if you're competing (posting scores, etc).

If this is what it takes for you to make Toy Story 4 fun, more power to you. It's your pin, do what you like.

#2365 1 year ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Hello, I installed code 1.11.
Now I get the following error message:
"Lock up Drop target. Check device. Malfunction detected"
However, when I play, everything works fine.
Anyone else getting this error message?

Page 25 of the TS4 manual is where you want to look.

The manual can be downloaded here if you don't have it:
https://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/ts/Toy_Story_4_Manual_1_2_September_2022.pdf

#2367 1 year ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

what is strange is that with the 1.05 code, no worries. And when I play, no worries... Could it be a bug in the 1.11 code?

Do the tests on page 25 and see what they say...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 18.50
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bensenville, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.95
10,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Old Saybrook, CT
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 35.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-are-all-toys-the-jjp-toy-story-4-owners-club?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.