Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by sd_tom
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    rump.gif
    ciara2.gif
    84e49f9322d4f96a96f05b5687ed5dbd8b0d0dcb9eb69c64d9256d4681761d0e.jpg
    DDD belly up in the farmyard.jpg
    bad+dog_d0500e_4171359.jpg
    pin-ticker.png
    There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 9 years ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

I suspect the arse will drop out of my pinball addiction before the arse falls out of high priced machines.
    The majority of the titles I want to own now are all over $4000.....When I first started collecting, I thought $2000 was a lot of money. Now it goes "how will I afford that $10,995 (AU) WoZ)?" THIS IS CRAZY TALK!!!!
    Cheers!
    Adam.

I hear that Adam even in the five years I have been collecting there has been wild fluctuations in price. When I bought my first machine a fish tales and a WH20 in the same condition were the same price. I think that's ok I like one as good as the other.

#102 9 years ago

last couple of years I got caught up in the hype. I have taken a step back. I love pinball, but not at any cost.
    I don't need the latest NIB to be happy or have the cool collection.

Lot of factors have caused prices to start rising. The first shoe was the announced WOZ at a low low low pre-order price of $6500 (before shipping mind you). Which at the time was pretty high. Since that was the real price people paid. ( As opposed to Stern's list price, which almost no one paid).

Stern of course fired back with new higher prices too. That brought all of the used prices up with it.

One would think that all of the depreciation in a twenty year old pinball machine would have happened already. If I buy a true and accurately priced $4000 whatever. It was comforting to know that if I got tired of it or just needed the space back, It would sell for $4000. Regardless of ones love for playing or collecting.

At the end of the day, what does it really matter?

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

At the end of the day, what does it really matter?

I like this quote. After all, its only pinball.

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

One would think that all of the depreciation in a twenty year old pinball machine would have happened already. If I buy a true and accurately priced $4000 whatever. It was comforting to know that if I got tired of it or just needed the space back, It would sell for $4000.

Uh, yeah. My Congo has "depreciated" from $2000 to $3000. I think the 20-year-old games are more vulnerable to a "crash" than the new ones. The only game that seems immune to price fluctuation is RFM - never goes up, never goes down. Just like my stupid house.

#105 9 years ago

the best way to avoid a bubble is to discourage speculation and flipping, and make sure people realize these are big expensive toys, not magical wealth storage devices. it's when expectations become unrealistic and exceed the capability of the market to meet those expectations that bubbles pop.

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

make sure people realize these are big expensive toys, not magical wealth storage devices.

Unlike a lot of toys though, you can actually store a lot of "wealth" in the body of a pinball machine.

#107 9 years ago

I was talking with a friend last night about how *any* solid state game is worth money now, even the dogs we used to avoid for a couple of hundred. You'd be lucky to get $300 for a Road Kings at auction and now any System 11 is popular.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #109 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I think there are many angles to this.
    First, are operators. While we do see a resurgence in retro arcades, new pins, are needed at a cost effective number for a return. I dont believe manufacturers want to loose this business.
    So either the cost to play a game goes up...which is another debate, or manufacturers need to find ways to keep the margins they need, and supply a product for the operator market.
    Now the boutique Market, we have all seen surge....especially this year at Chicago.
    $7000 plus games, seem more geared for the Homeowner/Collector.
    We have speculated if there is enough demand, for the surge in supply.
    Now the bubble in used games. Yes, we all have seen the remakes drop the value of high end games, but will the bubble burst on high end restored games?
    I think there is a key part here.
    Will people pay $3-$4K for any game in very nice restored condition?
    We seem to have been eating up $4K plus Shadows, WH2O, really any game restored well, and working seems to have a bottom number. Mostly because of the time, love, and parts put in.
    Will this market drop?
    I dont think so. I think as long as their is new blood coming in to the Hobby, the 2K-4K is a sweet spot.
    A Bally Fathom, is the same price as a slightly routed Avengers....and look at the years between.
    So, I see the middle holding their own, relatively stable, and even gains, as games in collections for 10-15 years now are worth putting new decals, full tear downs, etc.
    An example of this anomaly is a WH2O I bought yesterday for $2500. Mechanically excellent,
    maintained by 6 different Village members over the last few years. But for the want of a topper, and some minor planking, thats all its worth here in Florida. $4-$5K ones sell fast, that are as close to CQ as they may be. Should this have been a $2K game? It was, and maybe it will be, but the demand seems to be for a "higher quality"...at least IMO.
    Yes, Op, I would love to see some things come down, but I am not sure if that is best for the hobby
    in the middle used market.
    My vote has always been to US design, Mexican Labor to reduce the cost of new games.
    What do you think the future holds....???

I totally agree with you, as a first time pin buyer within the last 6 months, after researching every DMD pin ever made, I finally decided that spending anything over $3500 was too much...So I ended up getting 2 beautifully restored pins in that 3k range a piece. Couldn't be happier, it's a big purchase, but not a crazy big purchase, the same price as a big flat screen tv, or new gaming laptop; so I can stomach it.

I don't think that market of the 2-4k restored games, will ever go away, if anything, it will grow as people my age (mid 30's), continue to make more money, and yearn for the days of yesteryear.

#110 9 years ago

I haven't been in the hobby long but did the pinball market take a hit with the recession in 2008?

#111 9 years ago
    Quoted from LoserKid_Pinball:

I haven't been in the hobby long but did the pinball market take a hit with the recession in 2008?

i wasn't around, but it doesn't seem to have.

#112 9 years ago

I just didn't know if there was a flood of machine's at that time. Everything seems to have bounced back though

#113 9 years ago

The only thing I saw was a good stream of basement pins unloaded on craigslist cheap. I don't recall any prices dropping per se.

#114 9 years ago

The thought crossed my mind today to sell most of my collection and buy a Challenger Hellcat with cash.
    Then the depreciation reality of a car/insurance/property taxes set in and changed my mind.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

The thought crossed my mind today to sell most of my collection and buy a Challenger Hellcat with cash.
    Then the depreciation reality of a car/insurance/property taxes set in and changed my mind.

i got pulled over tonight (and let off with a warning, for no good reason!). that was enough to end my Hellcat lust. the srt8 challenger is PLENTY for me.

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Since nobody thumbs up's my other ass drop, how about this one?

Are we posting ass drop pictures now?

rump.gifrump.gif

1 week later
    #117 9 years ago

yes - and was why Stern was cutting and cutting and cutting.. which ultimately lead to the creation of JJP.

For a specific example - note when Stern laid off much of the design staff - http://www.pinballnews.com/news/sterncuts.html

Gary can be credited for hunkering down and successfully keeping the business afloat during the hard times... but he didn't foresee the new premium game market and was too focused on cheaping and missed the new market.. that JJP proved was ready.

#118 9 years ago

All I've gathered from this thread is that the OP is serious into anal prolapse. Have I missed anything?

#119 9 years ago

Yo Centerflank.....

image.jpgimage.jpg

#120 9 years ago

I think this post has been taken all wrong. Totally tongue and cheek. (dont know if that translates beyond Australia Tongue and cheek = taking the piss...... ah here in lies another problem. Taking the piss = joking

#121 9 years ago

As for the ass droping out of it.... ass, bottom, all bust ...... come on guys help me out

#122 9 years ago

The phrase "bottom falling out" originated with stock market crash.. Has never been associated with anatomy and nobody in the states uses it that way. .. So, hence a lot of comments about your phrasing, so were just giving you shit about it.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-all-want-the-ass-to-drop-out-of-pinball/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.