(Topic ID: 195811)

W?D Keeps blowing 12v opto fuse F116. Any Suggestions?

By Ericpinballfan

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2022-03-15 081902 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-15 081644 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seatmandan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Replace LM339 chips on the Stepper board?

I owned a W?D for a while, and when I bought it, the reels were all DOA. First, I socketed/replaced all 3 LM339 chips, one on each reel PCB, and the reels worked again like brand new. I then started to blow the 3A S.B. fuse at F116 on a regular basis.

Here's how I approached this massive pain in the ass:

1.) I replaced the OEM PDB with a rottendog, and same issue.
2.) I then replaced a 3 reel stepper motors with new ones, and the F116 blowing was reduced. At that point, it would ONLY blow during the multiball that happens when you catch the criminal.
3.) I then pulled/cleaned the motor gearbox for the drop target bank after reading that a dirty gearbox would put additional load on the F116. This helped, but did not completely fix it, It was now blowing like 1 in 10 times reaching that multiball.

4.) Ultimately, I replaced the 3A slow blow fuse at F116 with a 5A S.B. one and this completely eliminated the problem 100%

Hope this helps.

#14 6 years ago

the F116 fuse is connected to J116-2 and J117-2 and J118-2. Seems that the root cause of the blowing fuse is in these somewhere, ore a collective of them.

J116-2 is the 12v supply to the the 3 reel motors as well as the 3-bank target assy, including 16 opto pcb board and all the motor driver boards. EDIT: J116-2 also goes to the coin door interface board. I think I read somewhere that a partially un-seated plug here at J-2 plug could cause some problems with F116 fuse.

J117-2 is the 12v to the DMD controller board

J118-2 is the 12v to the "cabinet optos" (flipper optos I think)

One thing I never did was put in an LCD color display from colorDMD.... wonder if this would have helped take some sort of load off...

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I will be trying all of these tips and posts from above and reporting back.

Some people said "OH MY GOD!!! DON'T DO THAT!!!" when I switched the 3A 250v S.B. with a 5A.... But like I said, it worked perfectly. I think since the game was not in a commercial environment/on route, It wouldn't be a problem. I still firmly believe the root cause are the reel assemblies, but aside from replacing every damn thing, this route seemed to suffice

4 years later
#40 2 years ago
Quoted from flippersticks:

I think I have finally uncovered the source of this problem. The manual has a 3A listed for F116 in the fuse list, but in the power driver assembly, it has a 5A fuse listed for F116.
I am going to check the voltages with the reels disconnected as you did to double check.
BUT, for those seeking the solution to this problem, to save you hours of reading, FIRST make sure your motors are working freely, are not shorted, and are clean. This goes for the reels AND the drop target bank.
Next, make sure you install a 4 or 5 amp fuse in F116. (I began with a 4A and it has been holding so far on location...) I don't know enough about electronics to know what this might do to the rest of the specific component on this circuit, but here is the documentation from the manual supporting this solution...[quoted image][quoted image]

This is exactly how I fixed my W?D it years ago. I installed brand new steppers on all 3 reels, checked endless voltages throughout the game... and it would still blow F116. Installed a RD PD board- STILL blowing. After reading tons of threads, and looking at F116 in other BW games, I concluded the manual was in error, and this fuse was supposed to be a 5A, not a 3A. Game worked flawlessly for months on end after that.

People on here might say "Well, it came from the factory with the 3A installed, and not blowing, that's the way it should be"
I sort of disagree with this- What I concluded was I THINK the target bank motor was somehow working harder or something, with resistance. I pulled it apart and cleaned the gearbox (to ease the load on the motor) and that seemed to prolong the times in between blowing F116. I had a very similar problem with the idol motor on my Indiana Jones.

F116 = 5A fuse

-Dan

#41 2 years ago

I literally had PTSD when I saw you guys talking about this!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Boards
PinSound

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seatmandan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wd-keeps-blowing-12v-opto-fuse-f116?tu=seatmandan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.