(Topic ID: 136600)

WCS95 continuous ball feed - bad A-15576: 7 switch opto board?

By rweav

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by n1teowl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1323.jpg
IMG_1315.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I am getting intermittent issue where balls are kicked out into the chute during play, though this makes for a fun multi-ball game every game, it is getting out of control.
I pulled the opto boards out and tested the led emitters and receptors, then put them back in and tested them with the game on and no balls in. I would block the chute with a self designed cardboard and test the signal at the 7 switch opto board. These all checked out. I exhausted my know how, and I am suspecting the chips on the 7 switch opto board. At this point I see these boards being offered anywhere from $10 - $70.
Before I buy another switch board, I would like to see if anyone had similar experience and could provide some guidance.
The worst case would be a CPU issue or a main board issue, but the game works fine aside from the spontaneous multi ball issue.

Thanks in advance
RJW

#2 4 years ago

Here are a couple of pics showing the board in the machine. We tested across the resistors and that checked out, though they look a bit burnt.

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

#3 4 years ago

There is a chance that you have a cold solder joint. The trough shakes a lot and your descriptions sounds like an intermittent problem, which may be one of the solder joints. Try reflowing the solder on the board (esp the large resistors, .156" headers, and opto LEDs) and see if that fixes your problem.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I will go back over the solder joints. I did resolder one of the large resistors (the one that has the dark area around it) in an attempt to solve the problem. But I only resoldered that one.

Aside from the joints, Is there a way of checking the chips to see if they are failing?

#5 4 years ago

If you want to get into checking the chips, check out this excellent guide by Terry: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-logic-probes

5 months later
#6 4 years ago

I'm having the same issue rweav. Did you ever get this fixed? Thanks for any info on this problem.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside