New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 110370)

WCS94 Trough Opto Board Issue

By Manhattan

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20141117_091951.jpg
20141122_131718.jpg

#1 5 years ago

On WCS94 I would periodically get an extra ball kicked into the shooter lane, maybe once ever 15-20 games or so. Then over the last weekend it increased it's frequency and finally puked all of the balls out at once and issued an "check uses F115, F116, and opto 12V supply" error. After checking the fuses I found that F116 had popped hard (see attached pic of blown fuse on sea of Simonis).
20141117_091951.jpg

Further investigation found what is probably the root of the problem - blown Opto Receiver Board (see attached pic). Ball 4 was probably the culprit but it looks like ball 3 was on its way too.
20141122_131718.jpg

My goal here is to confirm I am on the right track by replacing the Trough Opto Receiver Board (and the transmitter board since they are relatively inexpensive). I have not replaced the fuse or booted the pin since the error and want to make sure there is not another problem that caused the boards to fail. I am naturally hoping that the fuse did it's job on the mainboard and I have not suffered further damage.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

Not sure you're on the right track. Looking at blown up pictures -- looks more like flux on the board and that somebody tried to reflow the solder.

#3 5 years ago

Well I didn't solder it however a previous owner may have... I don't think it was there before though. I also don't think it is flux but I could be wrong. The surface of the board in that area that looks like flux is dry and burnt. It would also explain the symptom before the failure wouldn't it?

#4 5 years ago

It does appear somebody has been there before. They reflowed the solder to the connector and LED's. LED5 *might* have been replaced but difficult to tell. Yes, bad LED's or detectors could cause the erratic behavior you described before but I doubt it would blow the fuse .Those symptoms could be due to low 12V... something else in there could be dragging that 12V down.

What all does that +12V from the regulator go to at J116, J117, J118? Might need to 'divide and conquer' to trace this one down.
Also, could be bad bridge rectification diode at BR5.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside