Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mattyk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Purchased a World Cup Soccer pinball at the PATZ auction. Game is in really nice shape, but the ball motor was very noisy (sounded like a grinder). Ordered a new ball motor from Marco for $59 and installed it- the replacement motor is just as noisy as the original. Played a different WCS last night, and it had a quiet ball motor. So, the tech question is, what is causing this excessive noise? The motor has an attached gearbox and is mounted to a metal plate screwed onto the playfield. The shaft attaches to a large metal "turntable" with a rubber soccer ball screwed onto it. Appears to be balanced properly (spins true with little runout). The original motor/gearbox has some blue colored grease between the gearbox housing and the mounting plate, the replacement motor looks identical to the original. Ideas? Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

I had the same issue a few weeks ago when I bought my WCS. If you had the same issue as me, I believe over time the grease gets kicked aside and the gears rotate without contacting grease.

I went out and bought some more of that blue mechanics grease. I didn't have an injection device, so I cut a tiny corner off of a zip-lock bag, scooped a bunch of grease into the bag, and squeezed it out through the small hole I cut into the gearbox. This removed practically all the noise on my soccer ball assembly.

#3 7 years ago

Hmm mine is very noisy too, but I do have some of the blue lubricant you describe that I used on another game I will have to give that a try. I was under the impression that was just how WCS sounded.

#4 7 years ago

Is there a link to a recommended grease product, or do I just google blue grease? lol.

#5 7 years ago

I played a WCS that had a relatively quiet ball motor, so I know it's possible. I expected a new replacement motor to run quiet. I'm not crazy about drilling a hole into the gear box, but that's the only way I see to inject grease into the gears. Interesting that the old motor/gearbox had blue grease on the outside of the box (under the mounting plate), it must have leaked out at some point. Suggestions on who/where for the blue grease?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Tektune:

I'm not crazy about drilling a hole into the gear box, but that's the only way I see to inject grease into the gears.

You don't have to. I forget how the exact assembly worked, but there are some machine screws on that metal mounting plate (the one that screws to the PF underside). Remove those machine screws, and then remove the metal mounting plate (you may have to remove the retaining/snap ring on the shaft that extends up through the playfield. I just can't recall at the moment.

The shaft should then (or maybe with one small step I'm forgetting) be removable. Make sure you don't lose the O-ring. With the shaft gone, you now have a spot to inject the grease.

I ended up buying a few greases from Walmart (I have a new house, no greases in the shed, figured a few types would be handy). I think the one I used for the gearbox was the higher temp, multi-use grease as I figured this would be the best for both lubrication, temperature resistance, and heat dissipation. Both that I bought were in tubs. So far no problems.

Hope this helps.

#7 7 years ago

Lithium grease...

#8 7 years ago

Thanks Yoko2una, good info. I thought you had said you cut a small hole in the gearbox, I didn't realize the shaft was removable. I don't think the E Clip needs to be removed as the hole in the mounting plate is large enough to clear the clip. Will definitely try the grease to quiet things down.

4 years later
#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Tektune:

Thanks Yoko2una, good info. I thought you had said you cut a small hole in the gearbox, I didn't realize the shaft was removable. I don't think the E Clip needs to be removed as the hole in the mounting plate is large enough to clear the clip. Will definitely try the grease to quiet things down.

Did this ever work?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wcs-word-cup-soccer-noisy-ball-motor?hl=mattyk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.