pasted_image (resized).png
A3E872CC-8CB0-44B4-B6AF-6158888D3A4F (resized).jpeg
20210529_075449 (resized).jpg
407303CD-C5C9-4004-88CF-ADB194EA41D8 (resized).jpeg
7B557574-819A-4161-A661-9683462B2251 (resized).jpeg
FBB69DB2-81B9-4E09-B892-6D03F589DDAA (resized).jpeg
4E0503EB-A9C7-43F5-9EF0-B1820AB0D987 (resized).jpeg
63AA1361-ED3A-4531-A06F-9139C89C6E9A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rx2006je.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I am having some sort of issue when I enter the World Cup final Los Angeles match. When I shoot the final draw to start the match a ball comes into the shooter lane. I shoot that ball and then the one comes out of the final draw. Then another ball loads into the shooter lane. I don’t shoot it because I like to play with 2 balls then another ball loads into the lane until all of the balls are in the shooter lane. It isn’t supposed to do that. What can I do to fix that. All other aspects of the game seem to be working with no issues.

Any help is appreciated

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty sure your game is acting normally.
I guess I’d make Sure the shooter lane switch is working?

The shouldn’t load ball after ball without shooting one. It is stacking all of them in the shooter lane and you can’t clear it because there are 3 balls in the lane. I will check the switch and see if it is working but if it weren’t wouldn’t it keep loading balls at the start of a game or when you start final draw for regular multi ball?

#5 2 years ago

I have a video I will upload. The shooter switch works as it should in the test mode and all opto in the trough are working as they should.

#12 2 years ago

Here is the video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SaSSMqCnpeuFGN6yZwwkgndtwmpDPNyS/view?usp=sharing

not sure what you mean by 2 physical locks on the left mini playfield with the maganet

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

are you testing the shooter lane switch with a pinball, or you finger? make sure a ball sitting in the lane triggers it, not just that it's functional.

With a ball sitting in the lane it closes. What is weird is that it only happens in wizard mode. If you get the striker multiball then it doesn’t do it. Nor does it try and launch balls continuously when you start a game or enter final draw.

Quoted from dsuperbee:

Have you done a switch test yet?

Yes I did a switch test I will do one and upload a picture to show you what I am looking at in the switch test if that will help

#17 2 years ago

Here are the switch test photos one with the ball our an one with the ball in the lane

FBB69DB2-81B9-4E09-B892-6D03F589DDAA (resized).jpegFBB69DB2-81B9-4E09-B892-6D03F589DDAA (resized).jpeg63AA1361-ED3A-4531-A06F-9139C89C6E9A (resized).jpeg63AA1361-ED3A-4531-A06F-9139C89C6E9A (resized).jpeg4E0503EB-A9C7-43F5-9EF0-B1820AB0D987 (resized).jpeg4E0503EB-A9C7-43F5-9EF0-B1820AB0D987 (resized).jpeg407303CD-C5C9-4004-88CF-ADB194EA41D8 (resized).jpeg407303CD-C5C9-4004-88CF-ADB194EA41D8 (resized).jpeg7B557574-819A-4161-A661-9683462B2251 (resized).jpeg7B557574-819A-4161-A661-9683462B2251 (resized).jpeg
#19 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Looking between the last and second to last pic, you have two switches closed by the shooter lane.
Start looking for a shorted or bad diode.

The one that is 2 above the ball shooter lane? The ball shooter lane works as it should.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

this is a common issue on this generation trough design. i'd remove the trough and clean/light sand it. and/or a quick fix is to get one of those plastic trough shims that are readily available. those help.

I have a plastic shim in it

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

OP, what was the state of column 3 in the photos? The switch matrix indicates 31-36 are optos and your photo 1 shows 31-35 open (ball present) and 36 closed (no ball present). Photo 3 shows switch 35 (trough 5 left) changed state. Is that an accurate representation of what it should show i.e. is the game showing balls where they were when you took the photos?

Game was showing where balls were. I had 4 in the trough and one on the shooter lane

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

While in switch edges test, wiggle each trough board connector. If any switch triggers, rebuild both female connectors and closely inspect both trough board male connectors.
If nothing triggers, with 5 balls in the trough and still in switch edges test, smack the trough assembly a few times with the handle of a screwdriver or your fist and see if that triggers any switches.
The female connectors, especially the outside one, are always suspect. A cracked leg on any of the 12 optos (24 LED legs) on the trough board can also cause what you're seeing. If the boards are original, remove them and inspect them closely (if you haven't already).

I tried wiggling the connectors and nothing skipped out. I tried knocking the trough and nothing went off. The opto boards are replacement boards. I do have the originals as well but when I got the game I was having a trough issue and replaced the opto boards. The issue turned out not to be an opto issue. I have noticed however that when launching a ball that sometimes the optos on the coin toss do not see the ball. Could that be related or a separate issue. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. I see them in the switch test as being closed in column 5 like they should. I need to put something in front of the sensor to test it.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Any optos working intermittently makes all the other optos in the game suspect. Games don't like when switches are intermittent and will sometimes put too many balls in the shooter lane, like you're seeing.
Should be able to test the skill shot optos with a finger or big standard screwdriver. Try vibration in that area while in switch test too.
How do the switch matrix connectors on the bottom of the CPU board look? Rebuild connectors if either look flakey. Also closely inspect the 10 opto board under the playfield. Any bulging capacitors or flakey connectors? If all looks okay, reseat all the connectors.

All optos work in the switch test using a card to block the beam. I tried banging on the area and wiggling that switch and nothing went off. Not seeing any bulging capacitors and connectors all look good.

Can someone conform that during the final match with Germany that you launch a ball then the one comes out of the final draw scoop and then one enters the shooter lane and waits for me to shoot it. I score a goal and another ball enters the shooter lane even though one was in the lane already. It should load another ball and doesn’t continually load balls like mine is doing. Just want to verify.
I just find it odd that the only time it tries to keep loading balls in the trough is during he final mode.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

That is correct, but again, you aren't using the correct wording. Launch ball, ball exits scoop, then ball ejects from the trough into the *shooter lane*. Shooter lane switch is very different than trough switches. Please use the correct terms.
The advice above to check the 12 volts is good advice. Didn't notice you have a colordmd.

Ok I understand about the terms. I have a multimeter can someone tell me where and how to check the voltage.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Replace the pinballs with standard shiny carbon ones. See if that fixes the issue.
Your balls may be magnetized.
There should only ever be one ball in the shooter lane at any point during final match wizard mode.
Unless all 5 are in play obviously.

They are new regular balls are carbon balls different. If they were magnetized wouldn’t that cause the issue on any ball launch?

#38 2 years ago

Voltmeter broke I will get a new one and test it Wednesday night.

#39 2 years ago

Do you think it could be a rom issue? Is this an aftermarket rom?

A3E872CC-8CB0-44B4-B6AF-6158888D3A4F (resized).jpegA3E872CC-8CB0-44B4-B6AF-6158888D3A4F (resized).jpeg
#41 2 years ago

New volt meter and tested all parts and everything checked out fine.

#43 2 years ago

Here are the voltages

18v=16
12vR=12.15
12vU=14.4
5v=5.2

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Have you tried a factory reset, as suggested above? If not, give it a try. Also couldn't hurt to reset both ends of the ribbon cable that goes between the CPU board and driver board.

next on the list to try. Don't want to lose all my scores but oh well, I will give it a go.

#46 2 years ago

Tried a factory reset and a rom change. Still no change in the game. Still putting out multiple balls in the shooter lane during the final with Germany. Not sure where to go from here. Any thing else to try?

#51 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think he wants to make sure the connection is solid.

are those switches supposed to be soldered or use the connector?

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

If you haven't done this recently, give it a try. The CPU board tells the driver board to fire the trough kicker through that cable.
Still no love? Put the game into switch edges test and pound on the playfield with your fist. No switches triggering? Remove all the balls and try pounding again. Still no switches triggering? Take a pic of the switch matrix on the display (with the balls still removed) and post it here.

Reseated the ribbon cable, pounded on the board with and without the balls no switched triggered. Here is the photo with the balls out.
GRUMPY I cut the connector and soldered the wires to the switch as well.

The game is still kicking out ball after ball when one is sitting in the shooter lane.

B265E3EE-441C-499A-9675-3E8FA3EB6ADB (resized).jpegB265E3EE-441C-499A-9675-3E8FA3EB6ADB (resized).jpeg
#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

In THIS SITUATION (i.e. In switch test, no balls in game, etc), place ONE BALL in the shooter lane, and get a picture of the switch matrix.
Possible you have a bad diode somewhere else causing issues.
From past experience with this game, it will keep popping balls out during the final mode if it does not see one in the shooter lane. (i.e. When the shooter lane switch is open.)

I checked last night and put it in switch test and let it run for a bit and the rear opto for the coin toss wasn't showing up but it will test and work intermittantly. I have noticed that at any given time the optos on the coin toss will work and the next time one won't register that did before and another will that didn't before. Should I start with replacing the optos or what. I have cleaned them.

I plan on checking all wires going to all the optos in the game.

IMG_5278 (resized).jpgIMG_5278 (resized).jpg

#60 2 years ago

So after checking some optos tonight I traced back to the 10 opto board. When I bumped or wiggled the j3 connector the optos went nuts. I checked everything I knew and it seemed right but every time I wiggled it they went on and off. Seems to be the issue maybe there. Should I replace the board, already is a replacement board or the connector. If the connector where do I find one to replace one of those king I am not familiar with them.

I posted a picture of front and back of the 10 opto board. To see if anyone sees something that is off.

I did get one game where the wizard mode only put one ball in the shooter lane and waited until I launched that ball to load another after messing with that connector and board. Then the next time I noticed that one or more of the coin toss optos wasn’t registering and then in the wizard mode it started spitting out multiple balls. So I think that is where the issue my lie.

311C754A-262B-4922-9E97-AD5BEC0303E5 (resized).jpeg311C754A-262B-4922-9E97-AD5BEC0303E5 (resized).jpeg7F692062-06A4-4881-9FD9-B3D242928AEB (resized).jpeg7F692062-06A4-4881-9FD9-B3D242928AEB (resized).jpeg
#65 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Which is what I recommend trying 3 days ago

I don’t have the original 10 opto board I have the original trough opto boards. I did swap them back in and it started trying to load balls immediately when starting the game instead of only in the wizard mode.

#67 2 years ago

So I ordered another replacement 10-opto board and installed that in last night and the issue went away. I believe the issue is a two part problem. One being the board and solder points and the other being the connector. It was still sensitive after installing the new board so that may need to be redone. It is one of IDC connectors I am going to replace with a molex and run both wires out of the same pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rx2006je.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wcs-wizard-mode-problems?tu=rx2006je and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.