pasted_image (resized).png
A3E872CC-8CB0-44B4-B6AF-6158888D3A4F (resized).jpeg
20210529_075449 (resized).jpg
407303CD-C5C9-4004-88CF-ADB194EA41D8 (resized).jpeg
7B557574-819A-4161-A661-9683462B2251 (resized).jpeg
FBB69DB2-81B9-4E09-B892-6D03F589DDAA (resized).jpeg
4E0503EB-A9C7-43F5-9EF0-B1820AB0D987 (resized).jpeg
63AA1361-ED3A-4531-A06F-9139C89C6E9A (resized).jpeg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think he wants to make sure the connection is solid.

are those switches supposed to be soldered or use the connector?

#52 11 days ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Doesn't matter as long as it's making connection. If you eliminate the connector you eliminate one possible point of failure.

#53 11 days ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Also couldn't hurt to reset both ends of the ribbon cable that goes between the CPU board and driver board.

If you haven't done this recently, give it a try. The CPU board tells the driver board to fire the trough kicker through that cable.

Still no love? Put the game into switch edges test and pound on the playfield with your fist. No switches triggering? Remove all the balls and try pounding again. Still no switches triggering? Take a pic of the switch matrix on the display (with the balls still removed) and post it here.

#54 11 days ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Williams used the connectors to make troubleshooting on route easier. I have seen many times where the switch will show the animations and sound but not give the score because of a poor connection on this.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-swicth-registers-in-switch-edge-test-game-function-is-sporadic#post-2025766

#55 11 days ago
Quoted from phishrace:

If you haven't done this recently, give it a try. The CPU board tells the driver board to fire the trough kicker through that cable.
Still no love? Put the game into switch edges test and pound on the playfield with your fist. No switches triggering? Remove all the balls and try pounding again. Still no switches triggering? Take a pic of the switch matrix on the display (with the balls still removed) and post it here.

Reseated the ribbon cable, pounded on the board with and without the balls no switched triggered. Here is the photo with the balls out.
GRUMPY I cut the connector and soldered the wires to the switch as well.

The game is still kicking out ball after ball when one is sitting in the shooter lane.

B265E3EE-441C-499A-9675-3E8FA3EB6ADB (resized).jpeg
#56 10 days ago

I see you have NVRAM on the CPU board. Is that new?

As much as I trust Rob's boards, I've seen some goofy NVRAM errors. If you can borrow one, try a known good CPU board with your game ROM. If another board doesn't fix it, it will at least eliminate the CPU board as a suspect.

#57 10 days ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Reseated the ribbon cable, pounded on the board with and without the balls no switched triggered. Here is the photo with the balls out.
GRUMPY I cut the connector and soldered the wires to the switch as well.
The game is still kicking out ball after ball when one is sitting in the shooter lane. [quoted image]

In THIS SITUATION (i.e. In switch test, no balls in game, etc), place ONE BALL in the shooter lane, and get a picture of the switch matrix.

Possible you have a bad diode somewhere else causing issues.

From past experience with this game, it will keep popping balls out during the final mode if it does not see one in the shooter lane. (i.e. When the shooter lane switch is open.)

#58 10 days ago

There are a couple WCS threads on Pinside about balls randomly ejecting into the shooter lane. Not quite the same issue as yours, since your issue is specific to Los Angeles, but it's worth checking out.

In short, the issue for each was a bad connection in a seemingly unrelated opto. You might want to inspect the wiring in all the game's optos. You'd mentioned the coin toss having issues--might start there.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ball-trough-randomly-ejects-multiple-balls-into-shooter-lane-while-playing
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-kicking-out-additional-balls

#59 9 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

In THIS SITUATION (i.e. In switch test, no balls in game, etc), place ONE BALL in the shooter lane, and get a picture of the switch matrix.
Possible you have a bad diode somewhere else causing issues.
From past experience with this game, it will keep popping balls out during the final mode if it does not see one in the shooter lane. (i.e. When the shooter lane switch is open.)

I checked last night and put it in switch test and let it run for a bit and the rear opto for the coin toss wasn't showing up but it will test and work intermittantly. I have noticed that at any given time the optos on the coin toss will work and the next time one won't register that did before and another will that didn't before. Should I start with replacing the optos or what. I have cleaned them.

I plan on checking all wires going to all the optos in the game.

IMG_5278 (resized).jpg

#60 8 days ago

So after checking some optos tonight I traced back to the 10 opto board. When I bumped or wiggled the j3 connector the optos went nuts. I checked everything I knew and it seemed right but every time I wiggled it they went on and off. Seems to be the issue maybe there. Should I replace the board, already is a replacement board or the connector. If the connector where do I find one to replace one of those king I am not familiar with them.

I posted a picture of front and back of the 10 opto board. To see if anyone sees something that is off.

I did get one game where the wizard mode only put one ball in the shooter lane and waited until I launched that ball to load another after messing with that connector and board. Then the next time I noticed that one or more of the coin toss optos wasn’t registering and then in the wizard mode it started spitting out multiple balls. So I think that is where the issue my lie.

311C754A-262B-4922-9E97-AD5BEC0303E5 (resized).jpeg7F692062-06A4-4881-9FD9-B3D242928AEB (resized).jpeg
#61 8 days ago

The back side of that board doesn't look great, especially considering it's an aftermarket board, but rebuilding the female side of J3 is probably your next step.

Link below tells how to rebuild connectors with pass thru or looped wires (like J3).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/idc-connector-question#post-6323841

Nice work sticking with it and narrowing it down. You're almost there.

#62 8 days ago

Sounds like the game code uses the cointoss to validate the shooterlane ball has entered the playfield. Helpful to know, don't bother with the shooterlane switch on WCS94.

#63 8 days ago

Since you still have the original opto board, and there probably isn’t anything wrong with it, it’s worth swapping it back in. At least that way you can narrow it down to the board or connector (hopefully).

#64 8 days ago
Quoted from Kevlar51:

Since you still have the original opto board, and there probably isn’t anything wrong with it, it’s worth swapping it back in. At least that way you can narrow it down to the board or connector (hopefully).

Which is what I recommend trying 3 days ago

#65 8 days ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Which is what I recommend trying 3 days ago

I don’t have the original 10 opto board I have the original trough opto boards. I did swap them back in and it started trying to load balls immediately when starting the game instead of only in the wizard mode.

#66 8 days ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

I don’t have the original 10 opto board I have the original trough opto boards. I did swap them back in and it started trying to load balls immediately when starting the game instead of only in the wizard mode.

My mistake.

If you can solder reflow all the Solder on j3 to start. There is a ton of flux left on the backside of that board.

If reflowing all the solder doesn't fix the issue, then plan or rebuilding j3 as well.

#67 5 days ago

So I ordered another replacement 10-opto board and installed that in last night and the issue went away. I believe the issue is a two part problem. One being the board and solder points and the other being the connector. It was still sensitive after installing the new board so that may need to be redone. It is one of IDC connectors I am going to replace with a molex and run both wires out of the same pin.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside