pasted_image (resized).png
A3E872CC-8CB0-44B4-B6AF-6158888D3A4F (resized).jpeg
20210529_075449 (resized).jpg
407303CD-C5C9-4004-88CF-ADB194EA41D8 (resized).jpeg
7B557574-819A-4161-A661-9683462B2251 (resized).jpeg
FBB69DB2-81B9-4E09-B892-6D03F589DDAA (resized).jpeg
4E0503EB-A9C7-43F5-9EF0-B1820AB0D987 (resized).jpeg
63AA1361-ED3A-4531-A06F-9139C89C6E9A (resized).jpeg
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

I am having some sort of issue when I enter the World Cup final Los Angeles match. When I shoot the final draw to start the match a ball comes into the shooter lane. I shoot that ball and then the one comes out of the final draw. Then another ball loads into the shooter lane. I don’t shoot it because I like to play with 2 balls then another ball loads into the lane until all of the balls are in the shooter lane. It isn’t supposed to do that. What can I do to fix that. All other aspects of the game seem to be working with no issues.

Any help is appreciated

#2 2 years ago

Pretty sure your game is acting normally.

I guess I’d make Sure the shooter lane switch is working?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty sure your game is acting normally.
I guess I’d make Sure the shooter lane switch is working?

The shouldn’t load ball after ball without shooting one. It is stacking all of them in the shooter lane and you can’t clear it because there are 3 balls in the lane. I will check the switch and see if it is working but if it weren’t wouldn’t it keep loading balls at the start of a game or when you start final draw for regular multi ball?

#4 2 years ago

If you are experiencing ball count problems it can likely be only two things: The trough optos/switches, or the shooter lane switch. Those are the only things that keep track of balls in the game.

#5 2 years ago

I have a video I will upload. The shooter switch works as it should in the test mode and all opto in the trough are working as they should.

#6 2 years ago

Are you sure there’s something wrong with the game?

I’m pretty sure I’ve had a couple balls back up in shooter during that wizard mode. Maybe there’s a vid of it online you can compare with.

#7 2 years ago

Something is making your game think a ball drained.

Go into test, leave a ball in the shooter lane, and start pressing switches until you find out what it is. You may have a broken diode or something.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you are experiencing ball count problems it can likely be only two things: The trough optos/switches, or the shooter lane switch. Those are the only things that keep track of balls in the game.

No...physical lock switches also keep track of balls.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

No...physical lock switches also keep track of balls.

How many does this game have?

Pretty sure it’s zero! One ball gets diverted by the magnet. The other is in play the other sits in The trough.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How many does this game have?
Pretty sure it’s zero! One ball gets diverted by the magnet. The other is in play the other sits in The trough.

2 actually, on the mini upper pf.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

2 actually, on the mini upper pf.

Well, check those!

#12 2 years ago

Here is the video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SaSSMqCnpeuFGN6yZwwkgndtwmpDPNyS/view?usp=sharing

not sure what you mean by 2 physical locks on the left mini playfield with the maganet

#13 2 years ago

Have you done a switch test yet?

#14 2 years ago

are you testing the shooter lane switch with a pinball, or you finger? make sure a ball sitting in the lane triggers it, not just that it's functional.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

are you testing the shooter lane switch with a pinball, or you finger? make sure a ball sitting in the lane triggers it, not just that it's functional.

With a ball sitting in the lane it closes. What is weird is that it only happens in wizard mode. If you get the striker multiball then it doesn’t do it. Nor does it try and launch balls continuously when you start a game or enter final draw.

Quoted from dsuperbee:

Have you done a switch test yet?

Yes I did a switch test I will do one and upload a picture to show you what I am looking at in the switch test if that will help

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

With a ball sitting in the lane it closes. What is weird is that it only happens in wizard mode. If you get the striker multiball then it doesn’t do it. Nor does it try and launch balls continuously when you start a game or enter final draw.

Yes I did a switch test I will do one and upload a picture to show you what I am looking at in the switch test if that will help

Post it.

If possible, post a pic of the shooter lane switch too, making sure you captured how it is wired up, and you can see where the banded side of the diode is.

#17 2 years ago

Here are the switch test photos one with the ball our an one with the ball in the lane

FBB69DB2-81B9-4E09-B892-6D03F589DDAA (resized).jpegFBB69DB2-81B9-4E09-B892-6D03F589DDAA (resized).jpeg63AA1361-ED3A-4531-A06F-9139C89C6E9A (resized).jpeg63AA1361-ED3A-4531-A06F-9139C89C6E9A (resized).jpeg4E0503EB-A9C7-43F5-9EF0-B1820AB0D987 (resized).jpeg4E0503EB-A9C7-43F5-9EF0-B1820AB0D987 (resized).jpeg407303CD-C5C9-4004-88CF-ADB194EA41D8 (resized).jpeg407303CD-C5C9-4004-88CF-ADB194EA41D8 (resized).jpeg7B557574-819A-4161-A661-9683462B2251 (resized).jpeg7B557574-819A-4161-A661-9683462B2251 (resized).jpeg
#18 2 years ago

Looking between the 2nd and 3rd pic of your switch matrix, you have two switches closed by the shooter lane.

Start looking for a shorted or bad diode.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Looking between the last and second to last pic, you have two switches closed by the shooter lane.
Start looking for a shorted or bad diode.

The one that is 2 above the ball shooter lane? The ball shooter lane works as it should.

#20 2 years ago

Nevermind, i see why the switch in the trough changed.

Sorry to send you on the wrong path.

You cpuld always try a factory reset and see if that clears it.

#21 2 years ago

In your pics, trough switches 1-3 show closed, which means no balls for optical switches. Trough switch 4 (4th switch down on 4th column) shows open, meaning a ball is blocking that opto pair. Gravity shouldn't allow that to happen.

You either have bad trough optos or a worn trough causing balls to not roll all the way down to trough switch 1.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

In your pics, trough switches 1-3 show closed, which means no balls for optical switches. Trough switch 4 (4th switch down on 4th column) shows open, meaning a ball is blocking that opto pair. Gravity shouldn't allow that to happen.
You either have bad trough optos or a worn trough causing balls to not roll all the way down to trough switch 1.

this is a common issue on this generation trough design. i'd remove the trough and clean/light sand it. and/or a quick fix is to get one of those plastic trough shims that are readily available. those help.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Thats what i thought....but the optos for the trough are on the 3rd column, not the fourth

20210529_075449 (resized).jpg20210529_075449 (resized).jpg

The open opto switch is for the goalie.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

this is a common issue on this generation trough design. i'd remove the trough and clean/light sand it. and/or a quick fix is to get one of those plastic trough shims that are readily available. those help.

I have a plastic shim in it

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

the optos for the trough are on the 3rd column

OP, what was the state of column 3 in the photos? The switch matrix indicates 31-36 are optos and your photo 1 shows 31-35 open (ball present) and 36 closed (no ball present). Photo 3 shows switch 35 (trough 5 left) changed state. Is that an accurate representation of what it should show i.e. is the game showing balls where they were when you took the photos?

#26 2 years ago

While in switch edges test, wiggle each trough board connector. If any switch triggers, rebuild both female connectors and closely inspect both trough board male connectors.

If nothing triggers, with 5 balls in the trough and still in switch edges test, smack the trough assembly a few times with the handle of a screwdriver or your fist and see if that triggers any switches.

The female connectors, especially the outside one, are always suspect. A cracked leg on any of the 12 optos (24 LED legs) on the trough board can also cause what you're seeing. If the boards are original, remove them and inspect them closely (if you haven't already).

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

OP, what was the state of column 3 in the photos? The switch matrix indicates 31-36 are optos and your photo 1 shows 31-35 open (ball present) and 36 closed (no ball present). Photo 3 shows switch 35 (trough 5 left) changed state. Is that an accurate representation of what it should show i.e. is the game showing balls where they were when you took the photos?

Game was showing where balls were. I had 4 in the trough and one on the shooter lane

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

While in switch edges test, wiggle each trough board connector. If any switch triggers, rebuild both female connectors and closely inspect both trough board male connectors.
If nothing triggers, with 5 balls in the trough and still in switch edges test, smack the trough assembly a few times with the handle of a screwdriver or your fist and see if that triggers any switches.
The female connectors, especially the outside one, are always suspect. A cracked leg on any of the 12 optos (24 LED legs) on the trough board can also cause what you're seeing. If the boards are original, remove them and inspect them closely (if you haven't already).

I tried wiggling the connectors and nothing skipped out. I tried knocking the trough and nothing went off. The opto boards are replacement boards. I do have the originals as well but when I got the game I was having a trough issue and replaced the opto boards. The issue turned out not to be an opto issue. I have noticed however that when launching a ball that sometimes the optos on the coin toss do not see the ball. Could that be related or a separate issue. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. I see them in the switch test as being closed in column 5 like they should. I need to put something in front of the sensor to test it.

#29 2 years ago

Any optos working intermittently makes all the other optos in the game suspect. Games don't like when switches are intermittent and will sometimes put too many balls in the shooter lane, like you're seeing.

Should be able to test the skill shot optos with a finger or big standard screwdriver. Try vibration in that area while in switch test too.

How do the switch matrix connectors on the bottom of the CPU board look? Rebuild connectors if either look flakey. Also closely inspect the 10 opto board under the playfield. Any bulging capacitors or flakey connectors? If all looks okay, reseat all the connectors.

#30 2 years ago

You have a colordmd correct?

You may have a bad cap for the 12v, especially if you have a color dmd (and if you have a kahr board).

Have you tested your 12v? What did it measure?

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Any optos working intermittently makes all the other optos in the game suspect. Games don't like when switches are intermittent and will sometimes put too many balls in the shooter lane, like you're seeing.
Should be able to test the skill shot optos with a finger or big standard screwdriver. Try vibration in that area while in switch test too.
How do the switch matrix connectors on the bottom of the CPU board look? Rebuild connectors if either look flakey. Also closely inspect the 10 opto board under the playfield. Any bulging capacitors or flakey connectors? If all looks okay, reseat all the connectors.

All optos work in the switch test using a card to block the beam. I tried banging on the area and wiggling that switch and nothing went off. Not seeing any bulging capacitors and connectors all look good.

Can someone conform that during the final match with Germany that you launch a ball then the one comes out of the final draw scoop and then one enters the shooter lane and waits for me to shoot it. I score a goal and another ball enters the shooter lane even though one was in the lane already. It should load another ball and doesn’t continually load balls like mine is doing. Just want to verify.
I just find it odd that the only time it tries to keep loading balls in the trough is during he final mode.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Can someone conform that during the final match with Germany that you launch a ball then the one comes out of the final draw scoop and then one enters the trough and waits for me to shoot it.

That is correct, but again, you aren't using the correct wording. Launch ball, ball exits scoop, then ball ejects from the trough into the *shooter lane*. Shooter lane switch is very different than trough switches. Please use the correct terms.

The advice above to check the 12 volts is good advice. Didn't notice you have a colordmd.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

That is correct, but again, you aren't using the correct wording. Launch ball, ball exits scoop, then ball ejects from the trough into the *shooter lane*. Shooter lane switch is very different than trough switches. Please use the correct terms.
The advice above to check the 12 volts is good advice. Didn't notice you have a colordmd.

Ok I understand about the terms. I have a multimeter can someone tell me where and how to check the voltage.

#34 2 years ago

Replace the pinballs with standard shiny carbon ones. See if that fixes the issue.

Your balls may be magnetized.

There should only ever be one ball in the shooter lane at any point during final match wizard mode.

Unless all 5 are in play obviously.

#35 2 years ago

This vid show should help.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Replace the pinballs with standard shiny carbon ones. See if that fixes the issue.
Your balls may be magnetized.
There should only ever be one ball in the shooter lane at any point during final match wizard mode.
Unless all 5 are in play obviously.

They are new regular balls are carbon balls different. If they were magnetized wouldn’t that cause the issue on any ball launch?

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

They are new regular balls are carbon balls different. If they were magnetized wouldn’t that cause the issue on any ball launch?

Yes. But it would be also intermittent.

#38 2 years ago

Voltmeter broke I will get a new one and test it Wednesday night.

#39 2 years ago

Do you think it could be a rom issue? Is this an aftermarket rom?

A3E872CC-8CB0-44B4-B6AF-6158888D3A4F (resized).jpegA3E872CC-8CB0-44B4-B6AF-6158888D3A4F (resized).jpeg
#40 2 years ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Do you think it could be a rom issue? Is this an aftermarket rom?
[quoted image]

Highly unlikely.

#41 2 years ago

New volt meter and tested all parts and everything checked out fine.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

New volt meter and tested all parts and everything checked out fine.

What did your 12v measure at?

#43 2 years ago

Here are the voltages

18v=16
12vR=12.15
12vU=14.4
5v=5.2

#44 2 years ago

Have you tried a factory reset, as suggested above? If not, give it a try. Also couldn't hurt to reset both ends of the ribbon cable that goes between the CPU board and driver board.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Have you tried a factory reset, as suggested above? If not, give it a try. Also couldn't hurt to reset both ends of the ribbon cable that goes between the CPU board and driver board.

next on the list to try. Don't want to lose all my scores but oh well, I will give it a go.

#46 2 years ago

Tried a factory reset and a rom change. Still no change in the game. Still putting out multiple balls in the shooter lane during the final with Germany. Not sure where to go from here. Any thing else to try?

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Tried a factory reset and a rom change. Still no change in the game. Still putting out multiple balls in the shooter lane during the final with Germany. Not sure where to go from here. Any thing else to try?

You may want to try setting up the issue in switch test and see if something is throwing a switch error, causing a problem with the optos.

If you have another game (or access to one) that uses the same opto board under the pf, you can swap that out and see what happens.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Not sure where to go from here. Any thing else to try?

Cut the pink crimp on connector off of the shooter lane switch and solder the green wires onto the middle terminal.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#49 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Cut the pink crimp on connector off of the shooter lane switch and solder the green wires onto the middle terminal.
[quoted image]

That switch is wired correctly

#50 2 years ago

I think he wants to make sure the connection is solid.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

8,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wcs-wizard-mode-problems/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.