Before-After 1.png
IMG_0642.JPG
IMG_0641.JPG
IMG_0589.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_0638.JPG
IMG_0639.JPG
IMG_0606.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wilsonza.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Over two years ago, I bought a project WCS to learn a full shop job. We had finished our basement, thought we were done with kids and it sounded like a fun project. I had played with LEDs and done some simple fixes (replacing diodes, optos, etc) but had never done anything this ambitious.

We ended up with two additional (unexpected but wonderful) kids which led to a new home and later, a new job. Along the way, I tried to sell the project when it just didn't feel like I would have any time to learn it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-project-wcs-in-topeka-ks

However, I'm now finding enough free time to make some progress and I wanted to document my attempt.

So far, they playfield. Everything stripped, the surface polished with Novus #2 and three coats of Carnuba wax.:

IMG_0606.JPGIMG_0606.JPG

The goal tonight is to put in the pop bumpers.

#3 8 years ago

I don't think it's been too bad so far.

I used a rock tumbler to polish the parts (including nuts and screws). Worked well but it crammed a bunch of the material into the screw holes. I initially tried using a screwdriver to clean it out but that was a total failure. I found some small miniature modeling tools (think Games Workshop) that ended up doing the trick.

I struggled getting the light sockets soldered back together. I ended up buying a bag of small wire nuts and that worked really well (and was much, much easier).

The biggest hassle so far has been the multiple parts orders. I'm not astute enough to know what all to buy so I've made 3-4 parts orders when 1-2 would have been sufficient.

Partial success tonight. The bumpers are back in but I haven't resoldered the coils. However, the new LED lights are looking sharp.

#6 8 years ago

A little bit of progress. Had a buddy who rebuilds cars sand blast, powder coat and clear a few of the mechs that were corroded:

IMG_0638.JPGIMG_0638.JPG

I put everything through 30+ hours in a rock tumbler but not everything came out shiny. Next time, I think I may put some metal polish in the tumbler media. A quick hit with a buffing wheel made the metal parts look a bit better. Before / after:

IMG_0639.JPGIMG_0639.JPG

Accomplishments since the last update:

- Put on the back two Cliffys.
- Put on the two troughs.
- Rebuilt the pop bumpers and confirmed they work.

IMG_0640.JPGIMG_0640.JPG

#8 8 years ago

You bet. This is by far the biggest project I've taken on. The pop bumpers slowed me down due to the soldering. It's not a big deal to solder at a table but I haven't mastered soldering inside of a pinball machine. I need a third hand.

Now that the bumpers are together I feel like the work is faster. I am slowing down to replace all of the coil sleeves. I had planned to put the old plastics back in but decided tonight I'd splurge on a new set. If anyone is looking for a specific piece, let me know.

Now I've got to decide what to do about the ramps and go learn how to rivet.

#10 8 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I ordered a set a few moments ago.

#12 8 years ago

Had a half an hour this evening to work on it.

IMG_0642.JPGIMG_0642.JPG

And a close-up of the goals before:

IMG_0589.JPGIMG_0589.JPG

and after:

IMG_0641.JPGIMG_0641.JPG

#14 8 years ago

It is.

I picked up the full WCS set (5 pieces) and two of the outlane protectors as the playfield had quite a bit of wear there.

Great products.

2 weeks later
#17 8 years ago

More progress over the weekend. This is a slow project with four kids.

On the bright side, maybe the new ramps or ColorDMD will be released by the time I'm done.

A few before/after photos with my current progress:

Before-After 1.pngBefore-After 1.png

Before-After 2.pngBefore-After 2.png

Before-After 3.pngBefore-After 3.png

#18 8 years ago

I should add - took a little break to install the Pinballbulbs.com LED kit. Only the inserts thus far but I really liked the instructions that came with the kit.

I purchased but haven't yet installed the GI lighting, backbox kit or extra lighting pack.

Thus far, I'm very happy with the choices. I barely have time to play and work on pins so having someone pull together a nice kit with clear instructions was definitely worthwhile for me.

Would happily buy again.

#20 8 years ago

I started with baby wipes. That got most of the dirt, dust and grime without too much trouble.

For the ball trails, I lightly used a magic eraser.

For most of the really ground in stuff, I used my fingernails to pry up the gunk and a baby wipe to clean off the playfield.

Once I felt I had most of the gunk off, I hit everything with Novus #2 and an electric drill. Last, hand polished using three coats of Carnuba paste wax and microfiber towels.

It's been a real hassle. This one has taken a lot more work than I ever thought it would.

I used to play WCS as a kid at the local Godfathers. I remember it being incredibly fun. I barely played this one when I bought it - it was so dirty I just dove in. With all of this effort...hopefully WCS is as fun as I remember.

#21 8 years ago

I took Friday off to see the Avengers with my kids and managed to make some progress. So far, so good. I've run into a few situations where the playfield was partially stripped and the posts wouldn't stay vertical. Easy fix - a trip to my hardware store for long machine screws and I just drilled the playfield, pushed them all the way through and put a nut on the other side. Sort of a pain but I figured it was easier than trying to fill in the playfield.

IMG_0698.JPGIMG_0698.JPG

1 week later
#22 8 years ago

A little bit of time to work on it tonight. I had never messed with rivets before. I picked up a dremel at Walmart and the rivet press from pinrestore.com. It was really straightforward to cut the old one off and attach the new plastic. I'm not certain how far I should press the rivet as I didn't want to break the plastic. My newly pressed one has a little more wiggle than the old but I think it will be fine during gameplay.

I haven't decided if I'm going to put the light condoms (or whatever they're called) back in. Any thoughts?

Next up, second ramp entrance.

IMG_0712.JPGIMG_0712.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

8,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wilsonza.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wcs-restoration-progress?tu=wilsonza and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.