IMG_2109 (resized).JPG
IMG_2107 (resized).JPG
IMG_2104 (resized).JPG
IMG_2102 (resized).JPG
IMG_2105 (resized).JPG
IMG_2099 (resized).JPG
IMG_2100 (resized).JPG
IMG_2101 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashinstinct.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

We'll this one as been a while in the making and since I want to document this and keep it as a reference what better place to post it than here.

Here's a list a parts purchased for this restoration

- New ramp decals
- New ramps
- Cliffy's
- Restored Magnet Cores
- LEDs
- New Soccer Ball
- New Flipper build kit
- Custom Target decals
- New plastics with silkscreen
- Pinbit Plastic Protectors
- Dupont Clearcoat for the retouched playfield.
- Newly riveted parts
- Some new targets
- New Goalie Plastics
- New Star Post
- New Rubbers
- new kicker holes purple plastics
- New High voltage LED Controller bypass replacement panel.
- New Legs
- New Bumper housing
- New bumper skirts
- New Slingshot arms
- Many more to list...

Here are a few shots of what I started with.

#2 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

#3 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#6 8 years ago

After a bit of bondo and paint
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Punch time to sink in the screw holes that have splittered up and wipe down.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Tomorrow....clear coat

#9 8 years ago

Got the in Australia along with other decals that are not available in the states

#11 8 years ago

I've purchased a handheld scanner and will retouch in Photoshop.

#12 8 years ago

I remember installing them and swearing a lot hahaha!

#13 8 years ago

Garage cleaned - check
Play field level - check
Final wipe down - check
Air supplied breathing full mask - check
Clean measuring cup check

Starting in an hour

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#15 8 years ago

First coat done with a few stubborn spots

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#17 8 years ago

Never used that on this playfield perhaps previous owner did....none the less I guess sanding the playfield and doing as you suggest will be the next steps.

#19 8 years ago

Im guessing letting cure about 8hours before wet sanding...

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Depends on the temp, humidity, speed of the hardener.

According to tech sheet 4-6 hours at 21 degrees celcius

#23 8 years ago

Note to self next time. Make sure to sand the playfield thoroughly before even doing touch ups.

1 week later
#25 8 years ago

I sanded and filled the holes up. But block sanding is really pissing me off so I went ahead last night and bought a heavy duty 15 gallon (200 PSI) 5.4cfm @90psi air compressor with an air orbital sander and paper grit from 400 to 8000. Today is level out day and tomorrow is final coat day.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
#26 8 years ago

3rd coat is on just from looking at it I think we'll have a winner.

#28 8 years ago

My orbital sander said it needed 3 cfm which was a complete lie. The tank can produce 225 psi at 5.0 cfm so I get about 2 minutes of sanding. The compressor runs continuously. So yes bigger tank would be needed but I do about one game every 2 years so I can live with it.

#29 8 years ago

Well it's dry now. Sanding 600,800,1200,1500,2400,4000,6000 and finally 8000 tomorrow morning. This thing will reflect more sun than a mirror lol.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#30 8 years ago

Final sanding done. Smooth like a baby's butt. Tomorrow buffing time.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

You are a freaking artist, this is beautiful. Look forward to seeing the rest of the progress.
I saw you said you got the ramps from Australia, was that online? If so, could you pass along the site Thanks!

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

So did you use the orbital for all of the wet sanding and everything on the clear coat?

That was the intention. But my compressor is not big enough to handle the air sanders CFM for long periods of time. It did really help. So I did orbital sander and wet block sanding combination. It was a lot easier to block sand once everything was level. This is the second playfield that I do so I am learning quite alot os I am going along. I can thank Vid for all his wisdom.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I would be kind of scared to used a powered sander on the clear for fear of burning through it, but I am glad it worked. Playfield looks great!

When I used the low grit I basically let the orbital sander slide on the surface without applying pressure and just guided it along. Also made sure not to stay in one area for too long so it was almost like playing a game of air hockey on the surface he he he.

#39 8 years ago

Reassembly time. Cleaned all the holes and cleaned all the inserts. Boards were soaked for 1 minutes with srubbing bubbles cleaner, brushed and then rinsed. Forced air out of all the sockets in the board and the each board got a shot of hair dryer. Wondering if a food dehydrator could help me with this portion? Note to self start polishing metal parts sooner. I've got some done but should not be doing this process now.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

1 week later
#41 8 years ago

All metal guides have gone through the bench buffer with red compound, rinsed with cleaner, then with white compound and then waxed.

Final coat on the back plate done with new stickers

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

1 week later
#42 8 years ago

Finally got around to install the new bumper housings, new bumper flaps, and installing the spinner and new spinner decals along with some plastics tonight.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

2 weeks later
#44 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegBeen a productive few nights and since today was Remembrance day so I tackle a lot of stuff.
Manage to reassemble the coin toss mech with new rubbers and cleaned the entire thing up. Second thing was to fix the idious fix for one of the light sockets on the board, the last guy didn't even bother to remove the pins from the old socket and just used a bumper socket instead. It did the job but I just couldn't let that on without feeling like I wasn't giving this project what it deserved. Installed almost all the plastics and I think tonight might be cleaning the "harness day"

#46 8 years ago

Well I looked at the state of the harness last night and it would take me hours upon hours to clean it. So what to do.... you buy one of these
I'll call this an investment for future cleanups Should get it next week. In the mean time recreate the coil stickers

Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 8.32.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-13 at 8.32.44 AM.png

#48 8 years ago

So while waiting for the ultrasonic cleaner why not tear down the cabinet. Still debating if I should scan the cabinet decals and completely restore this sucker? Thoughts? Tomorrow sanding.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

1 week later
#50 8 years ago

Still waiting on my ultrasonic cleaner and handheld scanner to arrive. Sanding as commence. Under cab = done
Back cab = prepped.
inside cab =1/2 done.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

#51 8 years ago

Loving the delays, scanner lost in mail and ultrasonic cleaner stuck at customs.... I guess it will be side rail removal tonight.

#53 8 years ago

Yes. Will scan my cab, fix what needs to be fixed in photoshop and then off to the printer. Now I can't work on the harness because the ultrasonic is not here and I can't scan the damn cabinet because of the handheld scanner therefore I can't bondo the cabinet which in turn... "All work and no play makes jack a dole boy".

#54 8 years ago

Well lo and behold scanner got here tonight. Got to test the scanning capabilities. If anyone is looking for a file to help them reference wear on the chicks butt here it is. Next up cab and speaker panel.

WCS-test.jpgWCS-test.jpg

#55 8 years ago

Well scanner was worth every penny. I still had to redo the entire thing but at least I had visual for scale. This thing is getting fired off to the printer next week Just a few tweaks left to do

speaker-panel-sample.jpgspeaker-panel-sample.jpg

#56 8 years ago

I know their is a guy on here that does custom decal printing. Wondering if anyone knows how the guy is apparently he does all the virtual pin cabs for people on here just can't seem to find the thread?

*EDIT* Found it
http://www.bowmansign.com/

#57 8 years ago

Well Ultrasonic cleaner got here today. And it's the wrong one! What the hell, lost package by Canada Post, duty problems and shipping on ultraosnic cleaner and now wrong size... maybe someone is trying to tell me something.

*edit* things keep getting better and better. Supplier does not want to pay return shipping for the wrong unit that they sent. Fedex wants to charge me $200 to ship it back. Went the other route now and filed a claim with Paypal...now project is delayed 10 more days!!!! At the very least.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from mpi:

Great resolution on that scan. Any chance of posting a scan taken horizontally? In addition to butt wear mine has wear also on the magna goalie area.
And big thanks for the posts. It is great to see how the restoration progresses.

I would have but most of the playfield is populated now and the scanner is too big to scan some areas.

Ran the harness in the ultrasonic and is hanging for a week to dry.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Compressed air might help there as well.

Yeah forgot to mention that I did blowout excess moisture / solution / water with my air compressor. Funny however that when you pull out the harness from the ultrasonic it almost felt dry.

2 weeks later
#66 8 years ago

Getting there. Slowly replacing cool tubes etc... As I'm working through the harness image.jpegimage.jpeg

#67 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpegIt's scan and stitch time tonight. The Epson V39 seems to be doing a great job upside down.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Do you get a good 1 scale results on your scans? I recently scanned some plastics; printing on my color laser printer yielded a slightly smaller result. I did include a scale in the scan for reference.
Might have been directly related to my printer and not the scan.

ill know in about an hour, It might yield a tad smaller because the decal is not touching the glass because of the scanner edges but nothing that can't be fixed in photoshop.

#70 8 years ago

Finally. Progress. Side Cab is scanned and accurate 100%. I need to fix a few things (like the net artifacting near the bottom shin) and then proceed to color correction and a bit of padding on the sides. Scanning the front now and then Taking the decals off.

final-cab-sample.jpgfinal-cab-sample.jpg

Front cab came out nice too.
front-cab-sample.jpgfront-cab-sample.jpg

Time of decal peeling.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from Det_Deckard:

Can you put some numbers to how much these all put you back? You are inspiring me to give my project wcs a go rather than part it.

I don't want to know LOL.

#73 8 years ago

Finished the soccer player for tonight. Hopefully can get around to finishing the rest of the cab before xmas.
soccer-player.PNGsoccer-player.PNG

More progress, few tweaks to the mesh left to do and 3 balls along with the world cup official sticker. It's moving along very well. small gif to show you progress.

progress.gifprogress.gif

1 week later
#76 8 years ago

Two balls left to extend to make sure their is enough bleed room for the cut.

final-cab-sample_(resized).jpgfinal-cab-sample_(resized).jpg

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just got hip to this thread. Beautiful work, buddy! The next thing I have to grow enough balls to do is playfield repair/clearcoating (with the sanding and polishing...no idea how to do any of that!).
Well done!

The only word of advice I can give you is to not cheap out on any of the tools.

- A nice rounded handle x-acto knife so you can still feel your fingers after a 1 hour cutting session. It's also alot easier to do tight corners
- Airbrush like Iwata Airbrush Eclipse HP-CS (got mine off ebay for less than $70 bucks)
- Sanding block (with 400,600,800,1000,1500, 2000) sandpaper sheets, do yourself a favor and purchase in bulk.
- Createx airbrush paints are the best (you can all thank Vid1900 for this suggested product). It works wonders.

- For clear coating you can go the air compressor route or the turbine route. I went the turbine route because there is 0 moisture coming our of the gun. I got myself the Mini-mite3 for Fuji Spray. It's awesome but wish I had a bit more power. As well I got the gravity fed gun instead of the bottom fed one.

The most important thing out of it all
- A airbreeding system to protect your lungs I got the Supplied Air Breathe Cool II. It works wonders and you can't smell squat. Make sure you get yourself a good pair of overalls.

Get ready because by the time you get even started you will have shelled out close to $1K in tools.

Follow vids guide about playfield reno and you will be off and going before you know it. Note that you will learn some hard lesons along the way. But they are all worth it in the end.

1026032-X-Acto_grip_thinner_knife_(resized).jpg1026032-X-Acto_grip_thinner_knife_(resized).jpg

Eclipse-HP-CS_R3-x-1024x504_(resized).jpgEclipse-HP-CS_R3-x-1024x504_(resized).jpg

2903-T70-MM3-Web_(resized).jpg2903-T70-MM3-Web_(resized).jpg

Tyvek%2520hood%2520SAR__07442.1414445602.1280.1280_(resized).jpgTyvek%2520hood%2520SAR__07442.1414445602.1280.1280_(resized).jpg

#81 8 years ago

It's official. Side cabinet is complete. Here's another side by side showing the extra 1.5in of bleed I had to add around the current decal. For those that don't know what bleed is, it's the extra room allowed for forgiveness when I'll do the final fitting. Since you can never cut a decal to size and then install it I thought it was to give me some additional padding just in case.

final-sample_(resized).pngfinal-sample_(resized).png

progress-sample_(resized).pngprogress-sample_(resized).png

#82 8 years ago

And it wouldn't look official without the sticker adding this sticker on top of the cabinet decal.

sample-world-cup-official_(resized).pngsample-world-cup-official_(resized).png

#83 8 years ago

So I went for it tonight and got the front panel done at about 85%, still have the base of the trophy to fix, bleed the start hole and fix some artifacting in the cup iteslf. After this....backbox side panels.

front-panel-sample_(resized).pngfront-panel-sample_(resized).png

#85 8 years ago

Front panel complete Compare original and final versions.

front-panel-sample_(resized).pngfront-panel-sample_(resized).png

front-panel-original-sample_(resized).pngfront-panel-original-sample_(resized).png

#87 8 years ago

Yeah the yellow conversion from RGB to CMYK isn't accurate I will do final tweaks before sending to print.

#88 8 years ago

Well I am finally done!!!!! The decals. Yellow has been tweaked. You guys need to click the enlarge icon to see the details, these compressed previews are very blurry.

backbox_(resized).pngbackbox_(resized).png
backbox-left_(resized).pngbackbox-left_(resized).png
world-cup-offical-seal-cmyk_(resized).pngworld-cup-offical-seal-cmyk_(resized).png
front-panel_(resized).pngfront-panel_(resized).png
final-cabinet_(resized).pngfinal-cabinet_(resized).png

#90 8 years ago

Files sent to printer. So I guess it's bondo cabinet time. Like everything else on this project it will take time.

3 weeks later
#91 8 years ago

So cabinet is now fully prepped bondo-ed and ready for primer. Today strip back box and try to Bondo and prep. Yes I did take the boards out.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#93 8 years ago

Stripper and use your girlfriend / wife's hair dryer heat it up as your are spreading it. Let sit 15 minutes and save yourself a shitload of work. I think it took me 2 minutes to strip one side of the back box. It also saves you from clogged sandpaper pores. Took 1 minute to sand and remove the remaining glue.

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Can I use my wife/girlfriend "as" the stripper.

As long as she doesn't mind splinters you can always give it a shot

1 week later
#97 8 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

That's a great tip. What's the heat for and is it necessary? What kind of stripper are you using?

Well since I live in Canada and it's -20C outside the garage the stripper reacts better with heat. If you live in California, I doubt you'll need the heat. I just took the no brand glue / stripper remover.

#100 8 years ago

They are going back to reprint. The guy told me I should use a matte lamination on them, but the colors a re a bit more dull. I'm getting them reprinted with gloss lamination.

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

The only issue I have run into on the gloss finish is during installation. It will look great but be careful of microscratches on the dark colors.

Yup I've got a squeegee with a felt end on it. And I wrap that with a microfiber towel.

#104 8 years ago

Finally got around to priming the back box. Having kids = a lot less time restoring pinballs

#106 8 years ago

Oil based primer. Followed tonight by a oil based gloss black

#108 8 years ago

1st Top coat of black now let dry for 24 hrs.

1 week later
#110 8 years ago

I can't believe I am going to say this. Back box decals are finally on and they look phenomenal

1 week later
#111 8 years ago

3rd coat of black is on. Dry. Tomorrow sand down and apply cabinet decals.

#112 8 years ago

Pulled the masking off to reveal the yellow bottom

#114 8 years ago

Sides go on without a flaw. I cut the corners to avoid rinkling. I get to the front and spot two screw holes that i missed. Crap, take out the Bondo and let it dry. I'm sanding this puppy tonight and putting the front on in a few hours.

#118 8 years ago

What's left.
- Predrill the holes and install the metal leg protectors
- Clean and repaint the Power supply
- Put the new braid in the cabinet and back box
- clean and install speaker
- clean the electrical box / on / off switch
- Fix a few headers on some of the boards
- clean a few metal parts including the lockdown bar
- Finish wiring the playfield (3 coils left)
- clean and reinstall coin door
- Install ramps and mini playfield
- print the speaker panel on PETG 1/32"
- and probably a million other things I am forgetting
- figure I'll be done by next xmas at the rate I am going LOL ...so depressing LOL

Knowing me I'll be so tired of working on this thing that I will sell it as soon as I am done.

#120 8 years ago

Note for the folks using a HVLP paint gun to spray their cabs. Make sure you mix the paint really well. If you use oil based paint you should dilute 30%-40% with mineral spirits or varsol. I just eye it to get the right consistency. Don't try and shoot the oil based paint unmixed with the gun. You will cause yourself alot of grief in the long run. Needle should be 1.8 in the gun. Smaller ones like 1.4 weren't quite qorking the way I wanted them to.

4 weeks later
#122 7 years ago

More spending involved. Even with my Hakko 888D - desoldering is a bitch. So after reading got myself Aoyue 474A++ Digital Desoldering Station with Built-In Vacuum Pump. Just have a few connectors to change and then back backbox will be fully complete.

I don't think most people realize the costs associated with doing restores.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

What a save! This looks amazing. Thanks for sharing your scans & process. Now I can redo mine.

The cabinet images in this thread are not high res enough for a print.

#126 7 years ago

email sent. Don't take these but just to show people what you get with wandscanners. #1 You'll need the fix the banding (color coloumn changes that accure during the scan. #2 any speckle of dust or hair on this thing will come out as huge blobs.

IMAG0020_(resized).JPGIMAG0020_(resized).JPG

IMAG0023_(resized).JPGIMAG0023_(resized).JPG

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballocks:

You've inspired me to give mine a make over. I may contact you later, if that would be OK.
Lee

Word to anyone who wants to try this make sure you have the following or the funds to get the following done

Ultrasonic cleaner: this will save you hours of scrubbing. A 22l cleaner will fit the wire harness.

Get a big ass tumbler like the Dillon c2100 and a berry 400 or 500 to get the parts from the ultrasonic cleaner to the tumbler.

Get flitz compound to improve tumbling performance and cutting time.

If you need to do touch ups you will need a good airbrush. The cheap stuff won't get you anywhere. I got myself an iwata eclipse.

When using paint use createx acrylic paint.

If you are going to do your clearcoat you will need a 30 gal compressor and an hvlp gun.

You will also need a breathing air supply system.

Even before you get started you will need to invest about $2k in tools.

It adds up quick.

#131 7 years ago

I have the remaining good ones in a box.

3 weeks later
#132 7 years ago

What to do on a saturday night? Well how about taking aim at the lockdown bar. Sanded with 320,400,600,800,1000,1500 grit followed by 3 cutting and polishing passes on the bench buffer with sisal, stictched and loose wheel. Also replaced the beer seal underneath.

Next stop tomorrow is ground braid for the cabinet and hopefully installing the boards in the backbox.

Ugly beer seal.

It's ok but not shinny

New beer seal

Not quite mirror but I'm happy.

3 weeks later
#133 7 years ago

Well it only took 22 days to get my act together. Cabinet braid is installed and I received the new speaker yesterday. Polished up a few things and now I'm at the transformer. Anyone know how to take that coca-cola like residue off the screws?

before

after

before
IMG_1274_(resized).JPGIMG_1274_(resized).JPG

after

#135 7 years ago

I'm assuming that it's red threadlocker. Heat and then some force?

#136 7 years ago

Hit them with the blow torch for about 15 seconds and these puppies came right off.

#137 7 years ago

For the past two nights I've been dealing with the transformer. The red lock thread was all over the place. Had to sand each plate and then buff them To a shine. Installed new nylon washer and new bolts... Hit the block with heat paint, cleaned the wires and reassembled. Tomorrow polish bolts and secure the bastard to the cabinet.

Still left to do
- Get the speaker PETG printed
- Clean the power box
- Clean coin door
- Finish assembling the damn playfield (I'm buying a dillon CV2001 to finish alot of the parts)
- Install ball through
- Reinstall backbox light panel (painted)
- Fix a few molex connections
- Reassemble Goalie and soccer ball motors

God the list never ends..

#139 7 years ago

Nothing like putting the final coat of wax on the power box. A beer is in order.

Before and after. Cleaning wiring tonight.

#140 7 years ago

Always fun things happening. Was blowing compressed air to make sure everything was dry after a soak and the KCC CL-30 Sensors ceramic coating blew off. Wondering where I can find that part? Would this be it?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CL-30/KC003L-ND/19750

#141 7 years ago

Finally ordered the right tool to finish the job!
Dilon Precision CV-2001 Tumbler. Now I can get the Ball through, the goalie mech and few outstanding parts in the polish cycle. Sending Speaker panel to printer tonight. And dismantling the coin door.

#143 7 years ago

The states. I'm getting it shipped to the border and going to pick it up along with a whole bunch of parts. In Canada they are $349 + taxes + shipping. States side direct from the company $188.95 + $18.95 shipping it was a no brainer considereing that I have to go pick up parts.

1 week later
#144 7 years ago

Not much to report. Slowly taking out the harness for the coin door and cleaning it. Expecting all parts and tools for the final leg of this project on Sunday. This thing might actually be ready for this year's world cup

#146 7 years ago

Finally got the beast up and running. I wasn't expecting this thing to be so big but am really happy that it is. Just as a reference I place a shaker motor on top. This thing could swallow 5 of them easily spaced out. I managed to put in the remaining metal parts. The ball through will be the last thing that goes in there. Can't wait to see what the parts look like tomorrow morning when I wake up.

Also in is the new coin door, the last few decals and a few other goodies.

#147 7 years ago

Been a long day but at least all the parts have been tumbled and tonight's mission is over. Installed tilt mech, flipper buttons rear slot to hold playfield glass. Finally bolted the transformer.

Tomorrow... Install new coin door, start buttons, coin box bracket and plunger.

#148 7 years ago

Sunday's worksheet
Side rails installed, power box installed, coin door installed, tilt mech installed, painted bolts for backbox light panel and tumbled a few parts.

Tonight's worksheet
Install backbox light panel
Finish ground braid in back box
Install Speaker panel Channel
Put backbox on pinball Cabinet.
Polish and install coin box bracket

Tuesday's Checklist
Finish lockdown bar mech
Install Extra Ball Button
Sort out remaining parts
Still lots to do but moving in the right direction.

#149 7 years ago

Well let's compare apples with apples shall we. Same lockdown bar / before and after. This turned out better than I thought it would.

compare-lockdown-bar_(resized).jpgcompare-lockdown-bar_(resized).jpg

Currently cleaning wire harness. Finished installing the sensors back on the ball trough. This puppy should be finished within the month.

#150 7 years ago

Ball though installed, wire harness cleaned and hanged for two weeks. Made sure to blow compressed air in all the connectors and borrowed the wife's hair dryer to just dry all the connectors up just as a safety precuation. Water and electricity don't mix. Next up is the goalie motor. Will have to start thinking about starting to clean the mini playfield and add the new magnet.

The parts pile is getting thin.

What's left to do
- Work on goalie gear motor
- Clean and install goalie mech
- Install a shit load of IR sensors
- Install Ramps
- Install felt leg protectors
- Install some LEDS on the backbox planel
- Install Playfield backplate (done at the end)

Probably forgetting another gazillion things.

#153 7 years ago

I've been putting alot of hours in during the last few days because I can feel and almost see the finish line. While not exactly the motor, I finished polishing and cleaning all the sensor for the goalie mech. Here are a few before and after shots

Before

IMG_1157_(resized).jpgIMG_1157_(resized).jpg

IMG_1160_(resized).jpgIMG_1160_(resized).jpg

IMG_1158_(resized).jpgIMG_1158_(resized).jpg

IMG_1162_(resized).jpgIMG_1162_(resized).jpg

#154 7 years ago

After

Tomorrow is "getting rid of hacks" day on the secondary harness. All those half withed electrical tape binding half assed wire bindings will have to go.

#155 7 years ago

Sometimes I just don't get people. Took me a whole 10 minutes to fix them all. While I would have like to cut more wiring on one connector cutting off 3 inches of wiring seem unwise. Some of these hacks like the yellow wire were just covered with electrical tape and not fixed. Tat thing was holding on to dear life

1 week later
#156 7 years ago

The back rails where in horrible shape. Repurposed hard oak will do the trick. Painted the back cabinet rails tonight. Last coat tomorrow. Started taking off parts from old ramps and onto the new ones.

To Do
- Adjust backbox brackets
- install Service rails
- install cabinet rails
- install decals on ramps
- tumble a few remaining parts
- print speaker grill panel
- install extra ball button
- install diverter
- install stay arm
- install remaining warning decals
- install harnesses to boards
- and probably a million other things

#157 7 years ago

Well shit.... Mini playfield installed along with new magnet and magnet core. The old one was so warped that I couldn't take the bracket off. Now that this is done. Ramps here we come.

#159 7 years ago

Last piece of the tool puzzle for this restoration. finally got around to making a C-Clamp Riveting tool. I had purcashed the die and the punch but felt like I was tempting fate using a hammer to squeeze the rivets in. This will surely come in handy next time around. Regular C-Clamp and used JB Weld "Kwik Weld" and glue/epoxied all the pieces together. Did a few dry tests and this thing works like a charm. Onto fixing the ramps tomorrow and putting the new ramp flaps, and changing all the rivets.

#160 7 years ago

Today was "test out c-clamp day". I ended up tumbling all the parts for the ramps. More compound sanding but the ramp guards I've a nice reflective shine

#161 7 years ago

Tonight was polish motor #1 night. This thing was all greased up and tacky. After some cleaning / polishing and new super lube this baby is ready to turn some more.

#162 7 years ago

Tried to assemble the flaps to the ramps this weekend and now my rivets are not long enough argghhh!! So since I had to order a few more parts I decided to get more rivets and a few things to finish off this game. Speaker panel was finally sent to the printer yesterday so should get that in a week or so.

#163 7 years ago

Going to the states to pick up my parts on Monday hopefully. Which means we are almost at the end of this project. The ramps are holding me back. I need to put the new flaps on, which means I can't put the ramp, which means, I can't put the backing, which means, I canèt take it off the rotisserie, which means....well you get the point.

Can't wait to turn this thing on.

2 weeks later
#164 7 years ago

Finally starting to look like something. Project was put on hold for a while.... Wife decided it was a great time for us to buy a pool. Guest who's in charge of landscaping? At any rate, new extra ball button installed. Lower ramp installed and in the process of installing the upper ramp.

#166 7 years ago

Need help with the left ramp. I've added the pinbits protectors and now the ramp doesn't want to sit correctly in the right place. Can someone this exact shot post it and help me out please. Just need the shot for reference.

IMG_1965_(resized).JPGIMG_1965_(resized).JPG

IMG_1964_(resized).JPGIMG_1964_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#167 7 years ago

Game is finally off the rotisserie. Just need to install a few parts and then this sucker is heading in the cabinet.

#168 7 years ago

You know your close once you start putting the cool wrappers on. In insight I should have ordered these before installing them on the pf.

Started wiring the cabinet. Will slide the pf in tonight.

The end is near

#170 7 years ago

Playfield is in.... half way to connecting board in the backbox. Still have to plug a few thing under the pf and now I realized i forgot to buy some god damn leg levelers....arghh.

#171 7 years ago

Well we have lift off. DMD is giving me all sorts of jiberish....I'll reseat and try again. Anyone have any ideas. Just need to install the goalie and then run through the diagnostics to make sure all the switches /lights / motors etc... work and then I need to wax this thing one last time. Ièll put detail pics up in the next few days with a full list of things that were done to this WCS.

FullSizeRender (resized).jpgFullSizeRender (resized).jpg

#172 7 years ago

So here's the final list
- Clearcoated playfield
- Restored kickouts holes
- New legs
- New Custom speaker panel (repro from original)
- New cabinet decals (repro from original)
- New coin door
- New side rails
- New Woofer
- Newly painted cabinet with yellow accent
- New Rubbers
- New Sleeves
- New Coil wrappers
- New decals
- New Plastic set with silkscreen coin toss
- New Soccer Ball
- New Glass
- New lock magnet
- New back foam on stand up targets
- New cabinet back side rails made out of oak
- New white pegs
- New beer seal
- Cliffy protectors
- 2 New ramps
- Flippers rebuilt
- Pinbit plastic protectors
- Leds
- Repainted backboard with new decals
- Boards cleaned and all headers / connectors checked
- All bolts and metal pieces tumbled. Big pieces passed on bench buffer
- plus a million other parts

1 week later
#173 7 years ago

Lights all work, all coils fire. Just need to take out grease from the goalie mech, was perhaps a bit over zealous.

#174 7 years ago

It's DONE!
Only missing the speaker panel from the printer.

1 week later
#176 7 years ago

Final images

IMG_2120 (resized).JPGIMG_2120 (resized).JPG

IMG_2095 (resized).JPGIMG_2095 (resized).JPG

IMG_2094 (resized).JPGIMG_2094 (resized).JPG

IMG_2092 (resized).JPGIMG_2092 (resized).JPG

IMG_2097 (resized).JPGIMG_2097 (resized).JPG

IMG_2101 (resized).JPGIMG_2101 (resized).JPG

IMG_2100 (resized).JPGIMG_2100 (resized).JPG

IMG_2099 (resized).JPGIMG_2099 (resized).JPG

IMG_2105 (resized).JPGIMG_2105 (resized).JPG

IMG_2102 (resized).JPGIMG_2102 (resized).JPG

IMG_2104 (resized).JPGIMG_2104 (resized).JPG

IMG_2107 (resized).JPGIMG_2107 (resized).JPG

IMG_2109 (resized).JPGIMG_2109 (resized).JPG

IMG_2110 (resized).JPGIMG_2110 (resized).JPG

IMG_2113 (resized).JPGIMG_2113 (resized).JPG

IMG_2111 (resized).JPGIMG_2111 (resized).JPG

IMG_2114 (resized).JPGIMG_2114 (resized).JPG

IMG_2116 (resized).JPGIMG_2116 (resized).JPG

IMG_2115 (resized).JPGIMG_2115 (resized).JPG

IMG_2117 (resized).JPGIMG_2117 (resized).JPG

IMG_2118 (resized).JPGIMG_2118 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ann Arbor, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashinstinct.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wcs-restoration-journal?tu=flashinstinct and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.