IMG_2109 (resized).JPG
IMG_2107 (resized).JPG
IMG_2104 (resized).JPG
IMG_2102 (resized).JPG
IMG_2105 (resized).JPG
IMG_2099 (resized).JPG
IMG_2100 (resized).JPG
IMG_2101 (resized).JPG
There are 178 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 8 years ago

We'll this one as been a while in the making and since I want to document this and keep it as a reference what better place to post it than here.

Here's a list a parts purchased for this restoration

- New ramp decals
- New ramps
- Cliffy's
- Restored Magnet Cores
- LEDs
- New Soccer Ball
- New Flipper build kit
- Custom Target decals
- New plastics with silkscreen
- Pinbit Plastic Protectors
- Dupont Clearcoat for the retouched playfield.
- Newly riveted parts
- Some new targets
- New Goalie Plastics
- New Star Post
- New Rubbers
- new kicker holes purple plastics
- New High voltage LED Controller bypass replacement panel.
- New Legs
- New Bumper housing
- New bumper skirts
- New Slingshot arms
- Many more to list...

Here are a few shots of what I started with.

#2 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg

#3 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#4 8 years ago

Look forward to the progress

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for documenting this. These are my favorite threads. It's also particularly nice to see a WCS get the full makeover.

#6 8 years ago

After a bit of bondo and paint
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Punch time to sink in the screw holes that have splittered up and wipe down.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Tomorrow....clear coat

#8 8 years ago

Looks like a great project! I need to get my WCS done. Where did you get the ramps? Oz? I've been waiting on Pinball Inc to make ramps for my personal WCS with NOS playfield set.

#9 8 years ago

Got the in Australia along with other decals that are not available in the states

#10 8 years ago

Any luck on finding cabinet art? Looks good...need you to come across the river and help me with Cliffy's

#11 8 years ago

I've purchased a handheld scanner and will retouch in Photoshop.

#12 8 years ago

I remember installing them and swearing a lot hahaha!

#13 8 years ago

Garage cleaned - check
Play field level - check
Final wipe down - check
Air supplied breathing full mask - check
Clean measuring cup check

Starting in an hour

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#14 8 years ago

Good luck. I'm looking forward to see the end result.

#15 8 years ago

First coat done with a few stubborn spots

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 8 years ago

Those "stubborn spots" are silicone fisheyes.

All it takes is a tiny pore in the wood that has silicone in it, and it will keep rising up to kill the clear.

NEVER use Wildcat, Pledge or Millwax on a playfield.

Sand craters with 400 grit, drip clear in with eyedropper - repeat as needed.

#17 8 years ago

Never used that on this playfield perhaps previous owner did....none the less I guess sanding the playfield and doing as you suggest will be the next steps.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Never used that on this playfield

Any past owner may have slathered the playfield with that junk......

#19 8 years ago

Im guessing letting cure about 8hours before wet sanding...

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Im guessing letting cure about 8hours before wet sanding...

Depends on the temp, humidity, speed of the hardener.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Depends on the temp, humidity, speed of the hardener.

According to tech sheet 4-6 hours at 21 degrees celcius

#23 8 years ago

Note to self next time. Make sure to sand the playfield thoroughly before even doing touch ups.

1 week later
#24 8 years ago

Any updates bump

#25 8 years ago

I sanded and filled the holes up. But block sanding is really pissing me off so I went ahead last night and bought a heavy duty 15 gallon (200 PSI) 5.4cfm @90psi air compressor with an air orbital sander and paper grit from 400 to 8000. Today is level out day and tomorrow is final coat day.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
#26 8 years ago

3rd coat is on just from looking at it I think we'll have a winner.

#27 8 years ago

How did the compressor do? Everything I see says the orbital needs 7cfm at 90 psi. Did you have to let the tank recover frequently? I want a larger one but getting 50amp service to it would be problematic. I want to get by on something that runs on 120v's if I can.

#28 8 years ago

My orbital sander said it needed 3 cfm which was a complete lie. The tank can produce 225 psi at 5.0 cfm so I get about 2 minutes of sanding. The compressor runs continuously. So yes bigger tank would be needed but I do about one game every 2 years so I can live with it.

#29 8 years ago

Well it's dry now. Sanding 600,800,1200,1500,2400,4000,6000 and finally 8000 tomorrow morning. This thing will reflect more sun than a mirror lol.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#30 8 years ago

Final sanding done. Smooth like a baby's butt. Tomorrow buffing time.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#32 8 years ago

You are a freaking artist, this is beautiful. Look forward to seeing the rest of the progress.

I saw you said you got the ramps from Australia, was that online? If so, could you pass along the site Thanks!

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

You are a freaking artist, this is beautiful. Look forward to seeing the rest of the progress.
I saw you said you got the ramps from Australia, was that online? If so, could you pass along the site Thanks!

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/

#34 8 years ago

So did you use the orbital for all of the wet sanding and everything on the clear coat?

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

So did you use the orbital for all of the wet sanding and everything on the clear coat?

That was the intention. But my compressor is not big enough to handle the air sanders CFM for long periods of time. It did really help. So I did orbital sander and wet block sanding combination. It was a lot easier to block sand once everything was level. This is the second playfield that I do so I am learning quite alot os I am going along. I can thank Vid for all his wisdom.

#36 8 years ago

I would be kind of scared to used a powered sander on the clear for fear of burning through it, but I am glad it worked. Playfield looks great!

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I would be kind of scared to used a powered sander on the clear for fear of burning through it, but I am glad it worked. Playfield looks great!

When I used the low grit I basically let the orbital sander slide on the surface without applying pressure and just guided it along. Also made sure not to stay in one area for too long so it was almost like playing a game of air hockey on the surface he he he.

#38 8 years ago

Great work. It's going to be a beautiful WCS. There can't be that many that received this type of makeover.

#39 8 years ago

Reassembly time. Cleaned all the holes and cleaned all the inserts. Boards were soaked for 1 minutes with srubbing bubbles cleaner, brushed and then rinsed. Forced air out of all the sockets in the board and the each board got a shot of hair dryer. Wondering if a food dehydrator could help me with this portion? Note to self start polishing metal parts sooner. I've got some done but should not be doing this process now.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

#40 8 years ago

That is an insane amount of work,respect!

1 week later
#41 8 years ago

All metal guides have gone through the bench buffer with red compound, rinsed with cleaner, then with white compound and then waxed.

Final coat on the back plate done with new stickers

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

1 week later
#42 8 years ago

Finally got around to install the new bumper housings, new bumper flaps, and installing the spinner and new spinner decals along with some plastics tonight.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

1 week later
#44 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegBeen a productive few nights and since today was Remembrance day so I tackle a lot of stuff.
Manage to reassemble the coin toss mech with new rubbers and cleaned the entire thing up. Second thing was to fix the idious fix for one of the light sockets on the board, the last guy didn't even bother to remove the pins from the old socket and just used a bumper socket instead. It did the job but I just couldn't let that on without feeling like I wasn't giving this project what it deserved. Installed almost all the plastics and I think tonight might be cleaning the "harness day"

#46 8 years ago

Well I looked at the state of the harness last night and it would take me hours upon hours to clean it. So what to do.... you buy one of these
I'll call this an investment for future cleanups Should get it next week. In the mean time recreate the coil stickers

Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 8.32.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-11-13 at 8.32.44 AM.png

#47 8 years ago

Very nice. I have a 3 liter one and I love it. I wish I had one big enough to do a full harness.

#48 8 years ago

So while waiting for the ultrasonic cleaner why not tear down the cabinet. Still debating if I should scan the cabinet decals and completely restore this sucker? Thoughts? Tomorrow sanding.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#50 8 years ago

Still waiting on my ultrasonic cleaner and handheld scanner to arrive. Sanding as commence. Under cab = done
Back cab = prepped.
inside cab =1/2 done.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

8,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

There are 178 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wcs-restoration-journal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.