Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Gov
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

soccer_edit.jpg
31.jpg
23.jpg
21.jpg
18.jpg
164.jpg
163.jpg
157.jpg
162.jpg
107.jpg
158.jpg
110.jpg
122.jpg
125.jpg
100.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Well,

I have a WCS coming and yes its a pin my 10 year old just begged me for. I haven't unwrapped it as it's not here yet. However, I assume this game sucks and people hate it. Why do I feel that way? Well, I can't find any darn parts for it. No new plastics, no new decals. Looks like this is going to be a full on hand painted job along with a clear coated cabinet. They look amazing when they are done but what a pain in the butt. I can see my self begging for someone to make me some plastics and paying at the butt for them. Oh well, its for my baby girl and if I can hold it together for the project. I might still have what little sanity I have left. I know before you ask you haven't even seen it so it might not be that bad. Yes it will because I haven't yet to see many machines fit into my standards. Yes, they are out there. Keller, Treasure Cove and a few others do them but at 10K for a WCS I am out.

#2 5 years ago

I enjoyed mine while I had it. I think it's a good pin and for the right price I would own it again. But in your case, it may be difficult to recover money put into a full restoration. Personally I think this is probably the wrong title for a full restore attempt.

I hope your family enjoys it regardless.

Post edited by tilt-master: To clarify point

#4 5 years ago

Not every game needs to be a full-blown restoration, especially if it's for a ten year old to play.

#5 5 years ago

I really like my WCS94. I was lucky enought to get one about 5 years ago with a pretty nice playfield, so not too much work was required there. Luckily for me, there were some repro plastic sets floating around when I was trying to replace broken plastics. Unfortunately, those plastics set supplies seem to have dried up a while ago. For the cabinet, yeah... anything that needed repairing or touched up was done by hand as there were no decals available.

It is a fun and different machine. Good luck with the restore/refurbish, I'm sure your 10 year old will dig it!

#6 5 years ago

Believe pps said cab decals are on there way. I was about to restore mine along with taxi last year and was dreading the lack of decals as mine were shot to hell. Sold it off for the cleanest popeye ever. WCS is a game everyone keeps going back to. Totally worth putting all the work into it.

-Jim

#7 5 years ago

just clean it, rerubber it and play it. they dont all have to be showpieces.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Not every game needs to be a full-blown restoration, especially if it's for a ten year old to play.

Agree 100%. If you got it for a decent price, clean it up and enjoy it.

I don't understand why folks get so overworked on broken plastics. I had my TZ for something like 5 years before I replaced a common broken plastic. I was too busy playing it or spending time with the family or fixing another game LOL. Plastics can be replaced in time if desired. I have a SST with a couple of broken plastics. Doesn't impact gameplay at all. If the game plays 100% and is tuned up nice that's the important thing.

Hope you enjoy the game.

I really enjoy WCS. With that said, I wouldn't go overboard on a restore. The game, even in really nice shape, just doesn't command the dollars.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Believe pps said cab decals are on there way.

The cab would look better sanded to the wood.

#10 5 years ago

WCS is one of the best games out there. It has something for everyone. A challenge for better players and easy to score goals and have fun for novices. I would love to get one again.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

+1. If the game ends up being a keeper a couple years down the line you can do a full blown restoration. By that time more parts will hopefully be available.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

The cab would look better sanded to the wood.

yep. if it's that bad, make it a whitewood. sanded cabinet, sanded/varathaned playfield and smoked plexi for plastics.

#13 5 years ago

I don't even have a single full restoration, and I'm pushing 50. I think she can wait a little while.

#14 5 years ago

It's a fantastic game. I think the only reason people don't like it is because of the theme/dog on the translite. Let your ten year old help fix it up, make it a project.

My friend just fully restored mine and cleared the PF, he didn't say that parts were that hard to find.

#15 5 years ago

Good game just get the mechanics going and play the crap out of it.

#16 5 years ago

Restorations are money pits. Unless you really enjoy the process of restoring your own machines, your money is probably better spent elsewhere. Only a handful of guys are making money restoring machines; the secret is they aren’t restoring their own games. They are restoring games for paying customers. If you aren’t going to keep this machine long term then I wouldn’t invest the time and money in a restoration. Hope this helps.

#17 5 years ago

CPR has been rumored to be re-running their WCS plastics set soon.

Pinball Inc has stated that WCS will be one of their last runs before the new owners take over the ramp business.

Parts are on their way.... But it's pinball, so nothing will happen as fast as you'd like.

#18 5 years ago

It's a great game. Repro plastics have been made a couple times. Repro ramps are available down under, and Pinball Inc is working on ramps as well.

I've restored one, and I'm working on another for myself at this point with a NOS set of playfields - just waiting for Pinball Inc to finish their ramps, and hopefully Color DMD to make a display for it

There are lots of fabulous underrated games with few if any repro parts made for them. Doesn't make them bad games.

#19 5 years ago

I just sent an NOS playfield to Stu at CPR for scanning. Not saying anything is going to happen any time soon, but it's a start.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I just sent an NOS playfield to Stu at CPR for scanning. Not saying anything is going to happen any time soon, but it's a start.

Marking my calendar for 2021!

#21 5 years ago

It is a great game, and CPR made plastics for it a while back and sold out pretty quickly.

I thought I read somewhere that more parts were on the way though. It is worth getting, and is a whole lot of fun!

Chris

#22 5 years ago

That's good I'll keep an eye out for them. Yes, I know some people do not care if any game is restored however, this could be a keep sake from dad once he checks out of this world. Plus, nothing nicer than that fresh car smell but to each his own.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Marking my calendar for 2021!

just a year after we get our ToTAN playfields eh? lol

I like WCS, mine is pretty decent... plays fine, fun game! all that matters

#24 5 years ago

WCS is a ton of fun, a good tournament game, great shots, and feels wonderful (it's a John Popadiuk design for crying out loud), you can't touch any of his other (non pin2k) games for less than 4500 bucks, WCS is great bang for the buck imo. It definitely does not suck! I'd own one but two of my best friends own one, each. That tells ya something (and my friends and I hate soccer) so there!

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Jojo1111:

WCS is a ton of fun, a good tournament game, great shots, and feels wonderful (it's a John Popadiuk design for crying out loud), you can't touch any of his other (non pin2k) games for less than 4500 bucks, WCS is great bang for the buck imo. It definitely does not suck! I'd own one but two of my best friends own one, each. That tells ya something (and my friends and I hate soccer) so there!

Agreed. Its his best design and best playing game.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

However, I assume this game sucks and people hate it. Why do I feel that way? Well, I can't find any darn parts for it.

Open and shut case

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from fuseholder:

Agreed. Its his best design and best playing game.

bb...b....but.....it doesn't cost $6000, how can it be good??!!?!?

#28 5 years ago

When I did a "semi" restoration on a WCS94 a few years ago, parts were certainly out there. Teal star posts and pop caps, slingshot plastics and other individual plastics, translites, repro soccer balls, motors, flipper parts, all that stuff is out there.Unless the cab is totally trashed it's a non-issue to me. Great game BTW!

#29 5 years ago

I own this machine even though I'm no fan of soccer.

Gameplay is up there with the A-listers, it's just the theme and artwork that let this game down.

#30 5 years ago

Im at the end stages of a restoration and finding parts is a challenge which is surprising.

I just sourced a Right side ball gate by the right saucer. The machine was missing it altogether If I didn't find one I was in trouble.

Here are a few pics Im at 80% complete right now.

100.jpg 125.jpg 122.jpg 110.jpg 158.jpg 107.jpg 162.jpg 157.jpg 163.jpg 164.jpg
#31 5 years ago

WCS94 isn't a bad game, don't know why people seem to get down on it.

Non-pinball players will definitely gravitate toward it, it was easily the most played when friends came up.

#32 5 years ago

Good job, Eddie. One of the nicest I have seen!

#33 5 years ago

Here's one I fixed up for another local Pinhead. I think mine will be every bit as nice, perhaps a touch nicer!

http://gallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/wcs_finished

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from PinsideTroll:

just clean it, rerubber it and play it. they dont all have to be showpieces.

Exactly. Welcome to the world of pinball collecting when I first started. Unless someone had NOS parts stashed in their home you could pry from them, you made do with what you had.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Here's one I fixed up for another local Pinhead. I think mine will be every bit as nice, perhaps a touch nicer!
http://gallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/wcs_finished

My customer is on a very limited budget as is my time. (Weekends only) Could I make mine nicer of course I could.

Do your assemblies get this treatment?

18.jpg 21.jpg 23.jpg 31.jpg
#36 5 years ago

Great game....always a friends and family favorite. Easy to approach, easy to get what's going on and always fun to try and blast it past the goalie. I will miss mine and it would be on my "could own it again" list. It's always near the top of the "best bang for your buck" list.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

My customer is on a very limited budget as is my time. (Weekends only) Could I make mine nicer of course I could.
Do your assemblies get this treatment?

18.jpg 26 KB

21.jpg 31 KB

23.jpg 56 KB

31.jpg 54 KB

My comment was aimed at my previous WCS restoration - not your current project.

My personal WCS will get a restoration that is better than the previous one, mainly because I'm putting a NOS playfield set and new ramps/plastics into it, and the one I linked used a nice original PF set, nice original ramps, etc.

But yes, my assemblies all get detailed to better than original quality. I don't use any non-original looms or anything like that, because I prefer my restorations look original. Every square inch of every part of the game was torn down, cleaned, polished, rebuilt, etc. That's what restoration implies. I don't like to do shop jobs on games, but I do enjoy restorations!

My time is also very limited - job, business, kids, etc, so I can appreciate what you're saying. I've got projects backed up for quite a ways, so I better live a long time

#38 5 years ago

www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PP&Product_Code=PPA-31-1924-SET&Category_Code=GS-2811

www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PP&Product_Code=PPS-WCS-AP&Category_Code=GS-2811

4 weeks later
#40 5 years ago

Thanks for all the information guys. The big problem is that darn cabinet graphics. It's pretty obvious to me that the rights holder is not going to reprint the artwork. So I have decided to change the design and print my own. I haven't decided if I want to go with a whole new look or take it back to the original. Obviously if I do original I would never be able to resell the artwork as I'm not the rights holder. If I redesigned it and get totally away from the original print I could sell it to others who would like to restore a WCS but would be in the same boat I'm. Here's what I did. I wanted to post it to see what people think. This was something fast and quick and easy to do. I did change the soccer balls as I'm not sure I'm a fan of the green and white. However I'm not sure if it fits. You give me your thoughts and feedback. Yes, I already know there're a few of you, that if it is not the holy grail of original that it's not pinball. However, if you have any ideas I would love to hear them. Anyway just take a look and see what comes to your mind first.

soccer_edit.jpg

#41 5 years ago

Not bad, I am not a fan of the style of soccer ball. FWIW, Rick did mention they were going to reprint the WCS cabinet graphics, it would just be missing the World Cup 94 logo on the back part.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Flint, MI
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside