• Latest reply 32 days ago by Artago
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20201213-100731_Chrome (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Well, it's always something. Hoping someone can suggest something to look at for this one.

Yesteday I noticed my WCS lock magnet was not grabbing the ball to catch it for the lock. After a bit of digging I found that fuse F904 on the fliptronics board was blown. Replaced that, magnet worked in test mode - great.

Played a game and for the first multiball the magnet activated and grabbed the ball - even better! Second multiball, no magnet! I looked back and F904 was blown again. If I replace it, the magnet works in coil test and doesn't blow the fuse, but seems to blow it after one activation during game play.

I've got 4.8 ohms on the magnet, and I get the same reading at the magna-save magnet, so I THINK the magnet is good?

Any thoughts on where to check next would be greatly appreciated!

1 week later
#2 3 years ago

Have some more info and hopefully trying to shake loose some ideas here.

I swapped the fliptronics board with one from one of my other games and the fuse doesn't blow so I think the problem is narrowed down to the fliptronics board.

I think based on the manual and WPC schematics that Q1 (TIP 36) and Q6 (TIP 102) are the main transistors associated with the magnet. I tested Q6 and it tested good. Q1 tested bad according to pinwiki (see picture) as one of the flanking legs had no reading. I thought I found the problem and ordered some more. They arrived yesterday and I tested them and they all read "bad" according to this testing procedure, with one flanking leg not giving a reading...am I testing this correctly? Is this procedure wrong?

I replaced both Q1 and Q6 and the fuse is still blowing after the first time the magnet engages.

Before I keep going back through the board is there anything obvious to check I'm overlooking? Can a magnet short to something under the playfield?

Screenshot_20201213-100731_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201213-100731_Chrome (resized).jpg
#3 3 years ago

Did you try a continuity test from the legs of the transistor to the pins . Make sure there isn’t a short somewhere on the board . Then I would look around the magnet just to see if something wiggles and is loose .

#4 3 years ago

You are replacing it with a slow-blow style fuse and not just a regular fuse?

A regular fuse won't cut it and will blow after one or two magnet cycles which sounds suspiciously like what you are describing.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MDL-3

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

You are replacing it with a slow-blow style fuse and not just a regular fuse?
A regular fuse won't cut it and will blow after one or two magnet cycles which sounds suspiciously like what you are describing.

Well I'll be damned! Never would have caught this or even had it cross my mind. Had a bunch of fuses sorted out in a parts bin and never even thought to check. Sure enough...AGC on the side. Turns out apparently somewhere along the way I probably bought them on accident, dumped them in my container and never looked that closely at them. Had to run to the store to get the right ones but we are back in action.

Thanks!

3 years later
#6 32 days ago

I have the same problem. Replaced the fuse with a 3 amp slow blow:
Played about 10 games, and it blew again.
Where do I start to diagnose this?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 85.00
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
8,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wcs-magnet-blowing-fliptronics-f904-fuse?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.