New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 30380)

WCS 94 , Who Currently Own's it ?

By BLACK_ROSE

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by johnwartjr
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“WCS 94 , How do You Rate this Pin .”

• Not a Bad Pin @ All & I'd own it again !! 13 votes
    23%
  • I'm NOT into Soccer , but WCS was Fun !! 11 votes
    20%
  • I like All the Xtra's on the P/F , I Own it and It's Here to Stay !! 21 votes
    38%
  • WCS was Fun , but I Sold or Traded it.. 9 votes
    16%
  • My Wife & Kid's Love it !! 2 votes
    4%

(56 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

World_Cup_94_Pin_Invoice0001.pdf (PDF preview)
WCS_94_003.JPG
WCS_94_006.JPG
WCS_94_018.JPG
WCS_94_016.JPG
WCS_94_012.JPG
WCS_94_010.JPG
image.jpg
WCS_94.jpg

#1 7 years ago

I see there are a Few listed 4-Sale Here , I've Never Owned it ( Yet ) so I'm think-n about getting 1.
The P/F lOOk's to have Quite a few Toy's , Magna save , Good Flow-n Ramp's , Turning Soccer ball , moving Goal-y dude , roll under Spinner , kick-back etc ,,, .. I just read some comment's on IPDB , The Pin has No auto-Launch so it's like TOTAN in that aspect ( no Biggie ) ..
Just some Honest opinion's Will be Great !!! B_R

WCS_94.jpg

#2 7 years ago

I own it and don't plan on ever selling it. Granted my family loves soccer. But this pin is fun plain and simple. I truly believe it's under rated. It's not the #1 "bang for buck" pin for nothing. Great ramps and scoring goals just never seems to get old. Winning the World Cup isn't that hard but it's always a rush.

#3 7 years ago

Not deep or complicated but really fun - good flow when its set up correctly, it keeps me going back for more. Its just fun, no other way to explain it. When I need a break from the stress or intensity of a game like LOTR - you play WCS

#4 7 years ago

It's a game I would like, one day. Always have liked it.

#5 7 years ago

I like it. Easy, simple, but fun. I hate football, but fun. If I will get a chance, I will get a good one.

#6 7 years ago

Great game, there is NO question about it. I had one, and would buy one again for sure..

#7 7 years ago

The game I most regret selling. Have one headed back my way in the near future.

#8 7 years ago

It's a damn fine game which isn't a surprise since JPOP designed it (kinda funny considering his other themes). The first time I saw it at PAPA, I didn't rush to play it because I wasn't into the theme. Once I played it though, I was totally digging it regardless of the theme (the mark of a truly great designer IMO). It's amazing how much stuff there is going on on the playfield, yet the game doesn't feel cluttered. Shooting the ball past the goalie is always fun. Definitely go for it, BR. They're cheap to come by, and it shouldn't be too hard to get rid of once you bling it out. I just put Cointaker supers in mine, and it looks sweet.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Great game, there is NO question about it. I had one, and would buy one again for sure..

Yep.

#10 7 years ago

never owned one, but i played it so many times..
it is a fun pin, the goal with the goal keeper is cool, but not that fun to own one. honestly, you can get better.
you will get bored of the game fast..
try to see if you find one on location near you or in your city. if you do, definitely don't buy it!!

#11 7 years ago

I played WCS for the first time at Pinball at the Zoo (PATZ) about 3.5 years ago. At the time I had no expectations, there was just nobody standing in front of it at the time, LOL. After playing everything at the show, I asked my friend what game he had most fun on, and he said "Believe it or not, WCS". I admitted that was my favorite pin at the show as well, and I ended up buying it and taking it home with me.

I've had mine since then, and I really like it and plan on keeping it for a long time. I like the ability to try to beat Germany (the #1 ranked team at the time), by both advancing thru multiball jackpots, and by reaching the World Cup Finals. The goal tender is a great toy as well, and he has a switch in him, so if he denies you a goal, the announcers in the game react to it. The ramps flow really nicely too, but it's hard to impossible to find replacement ramps at present if yours are broke. Pinball Inc. says they'll remake them someday, whenever that may be.

Every time you do score a goal, one of four lightning bolts will light for a super scoring feature. It's fun to try to take advantage of those, especially the Super Spinner, which has a great sound effect that goes along with each spin. It's one of my favorite spinners.

It's got the magna save button on the left side, which works so-so, but is kind of cool. The saucer in front of the goal is really cool, as when your ball lands in it, you can launch the ball at the goal from the saucer eject with the hit of a flipper button.

#12 7 years ago

It is a fun game with enough to do but not too much. I'd get it.

When the graphics on the bottom of the ball show wear, you can remove it and cover up the wear with a black sharpie. Clean it with wildcat first, but be careful as the WC will affect the remaining good black ink if I remember correctly.

Great game for kids and adults.

Dan

#13 7 years ago

I love my wcs94 and the kids love it too. Its fast and does not get old. Definitely great bang for the buck. That being said, I am thinking about trading it for a fish tales.

#14 7 years ago

To me it's the best playing of all the Jpop games but probably the least attractive. Great value for what you can get them for.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I own it and don't plan on ever selling it. ...... this pin is fun plain and simple. I truly believe it's under rated. It's not the #1 "bang for buck" pin for nothing. Great ramps and scoring goals just never seems to get old. Winning the World Cup isn't that hard but it's always a rush.

Well said, astropin. All true.

Quoted from hassanchop:

...you will get bored of the game fast...
... definitely don't buy it!!

Mmm, not so, IMO. Buy one, and keep it. You won't be sorry. I've had mine for about 18 months and it still holds up well. Always a good time.

#16 7 years ago

Post edited by Gundam_Pilot_ : Double post

#17 7 years ago

I don't know how you can saw that this is not an attractive game

image.jpg

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Didn't say it wasn't a decent looking game but that it probably isn't as nice as his other major titles (CV, TOM & TOTAN)

#19 7 years ago

Wow, thats a lot of bling

#20 7 years ago

I could care less about soccer, but I love the game.

I end up with games in weird ways, so here's the quick story... I had a set line up for tournament games at last year's MGC, and all of a sudden the DMD that I thought I was getting turned out to have a major problem, and the guy who was bringing it didn't think he could get it fixed in time. Okay, that's what happens when you have machines like this... but I didn't have anything good and ready to go at the time either. I was asking people back and forth who weren't able to get the sort of game I was looking for because of one thing or another, and then all of a sudden a buddy of mine told me he had some games he was putting up for sale, and WCS was one.

It was late at night, and I had just spent about two hours going back and forth trying to find a tournament game. I looked, saw that WCS had been used in a couple PAPA finals, and said if it works nice, I'll take it at his asking price. He asked me if I wanted pics, I said I don't care, I'll take it for the tournament.

Got it, needed a bit of tweaking to get it tournament ready, but then... holy nuts! I have been playing the heck out of it ever since. It has the nice thing going for it that like what I think are the best score-based games, there are lots of different strategies you can use to try to score high on the machine. Do you shoot all day for the goal? Try to start multiball? Try to collect the cities? Play modes? Any of these can be worthwhile.

I think the key though is that you have to set the game up MEAN, and if you can hit the scoop too easily, it will get boring fast. If your game doesn't have that, it's a bear to get anything going on. Probably one of my top 10 pins, and I expected to sell it immediately following the MGC. Ain't going anywhere now.

#21 7 years ago

I owned mine for three days before listing it for sale. I don't buy games to resell, it just wasn't for me. The theme is very family friendly, the pf design is great with some neat toys but I found myself not finishing games after completing all the modes and defeating Germany within 45 minutes of having it home. WCS could have benefited from better cabinet artwork but it usually will cost less than most pay for sales tax on their new vehicle. Go out and buy one to try it out for yourself. DMDS in this price range can be easy to sell. If you are willing to be patient and buy a unit in good condition for a fair price, you will most likely at least break even minus your transportation costs.

#22 7 years ago

Very Respectful information !! I went to TvBenK 's Pad and bought his WCS 94 . He Needed a spot Vacant for his Tron Pro 2D . The Pin need's a Through Shop ( Gonna Hire Shanetastic to Help out )
Ben has a Great Collection Himself , He wouldn't sell me his IM .. lOOked Good to !! His BSD is Very Nice also !! I'm Gonna Copy a few mod's from it .

Here's a few pict's !! Thanxx Ben , and Thanxx for the Miller High Life neon too .. Hummmm !!!

WCS_94_010.JPG WCS_94_012.JPG WCS_94_016.JPG WCS_94_018.JPG WCS_94_006.JPG WCS_94_003.JPG

#23 7 years ago

Nothing personal, but that's a prime example of why I've been so anti-LED; it looks like a rainbow threw up on the playfield.

As for the game itself, I don't give a crap about soccer, but I LOVE it! It's seriously fun and has such a different feel to it. I'd really like to have one in the collection.

#24 7 years ago

( what a name ) I can't wait to tear WCS apart and Bling it .. I see some Purple insert's ,, they lOOk Awesome with Purple Retro or Premium 2's shinning thru ...

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I agree Fatsquatch ( what a name )...

Make no mistake, it's appropriate...I'm a landmonster.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Make no mistake, it's appropriate...I'm a landmonster.

Yr Cool w/ me brother !!!!

#27 7 years ago

Love WCS! fun game, and great for non-pinheads and kids.

#28 7 years ago

Enjoy it B_R. I bought it with plans to shop it out and have some fun with it but I need the room. I'm hoping Tron shows up next week to fill the empty spot. Looking forward to seeing it when you and Shane get done.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from tvbenk:

Enjoy it B_R. I bought it with plans to shop it out and have some fun with it but I need the room. I'm hoping Tron shows up next week to fill the empty spot. Looking forward to seeing it when you and Shane get done.

Will do Ben ,,, See Ya Dec 1st .. W-Salem ,, Enjoy yr Tron man .. I know you will !!!

#30 7 years ago

My kids and all their friends loved it.

Very fun game that only left because of space limitations.

#31 7 years ago

Glad you got it BR but I wish that would have been my second pin purchased from tvbenk. Its an all time favorite for me and everybody seems to like it young, oldand een women like the dog character. Now after you bling it out Black Rose might come calling back in a possible trade.

I had this one since new but would like to get one for some locations as its pretty reliable and oddly enough earns well. I cant put mine back out as I am in love with JPop designs studying him before Google searching. Saw he had some plans to never get released and finally this pin comes out. Saw his name on TOM and bought after playing a few games took the sample home that night from Brady. I still have that pin too. Did he same with TOTAN but with birth of child in 2001 had to sell to someone at Winston Salem for 1800 that good a great looking TOTAN not a chip in the cabinet. Never could get CV until this Friday as money dried up late 1999 and what money wa there as used for Golden Tees and new pin 2k purchases. Almost pulled the trigger for one at 1750 but Mike wanted to charge me tax so we did no deal. I post the JPop homepage pin tribute next week. Thanks to all who love Twilight for making this CV pin purchase when you go see the movie in my area.

#32 7 years ago

it's just sooo fun.

-jon

#33 7 years ago

Great pin BR your gonna like it. It has a a different feel that just seems fun. I don't like soccer all that much either.

#34 7 years ago

Dang it. Don't hype this machine as I want to own it too and need the prices to stay down.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

Now after you bling it out Black Rose might come calling back in a possible trade.

Quoted & Noted !!! I did like my Black Rose ..

#36 7 years ago

Yep its a great game! Owned it twice, and this current example is very clean. I'm sure it will be staying for a long time.

#37 7 years ago

This is a favorite of mine! A great machine!

#38 7 years ago

WCS 94 is a classic and I'm glad I have one. I don't expect mine to ever leave, as I'm swapping a set of NOS playfields into it as soon as I finish up RDR's WCS.

It's not for everyone. I don't play or watch soccer (I did when I was younger, though), but it's Popadiuk's best. I've owned or played all his games and I'm confident in that statement. It's a great value, and has nice colorful art, great dots, great sound, etc.

I put upgraded speakers in RDR's WCS and the game is really worth it!

#39 7 years ago

Completely overhauling my WCS94 at the moment (full stripped, berried, clear, blah blah). But the game is just plain fun! I couldn't care less about the dog mascot and a lot of the superficial mess that many other people knock, it's a go-to game every time (just like others have said, it's a great break from games like TZ or TSPP and fits perfectly into almost any collection).

^John, what speakers did you end up adding into the game?

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Nibbles, I typically use the same setup in DCS games...
This sub
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-308&scqty=2
These panel speakers
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=267-090&scqty=2
This L-Pad
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-252&scqty=2
This faceplate
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-270&scqty=2
I wire it up using Tony's guide:
http://dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_sound_info.html
Cost ends up being around 75 bucks a game, when I buy enough parts to do 2 games. A little less if I do 4.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

WCS 94 is a classic and I'm glad I have one. I don't expect mine to ever leave, as I'm swapping a set of NOS playfields into it as soon as I finish up RDR's WCS.
It's not for everyone. I don't play or watch soccer (I did when I was younger, though), but it's Popadiuk's best. I've owned or played all his games and I'm confident in that statement. It's a great value, and has nice colorful art, great dots, great sound, etc.
I put upgraded speakers in RDR's WCS and the game is really worth it!

Awesome! I didn't know about the upgraded speakers. As always, John you are the BEST!!!

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Nibbles, I typically use the same setup in DCS games..

On the few games that I've updated, I've done very similar stuff.... but one question - Is there anything in WCS worth upgrading for? It would probably be my number 1 B/W title in the collection, and I never even thought twice about it since it seems to have no low end, and decent quality from the stock ones...

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

On the few games that I've updated, I've done very similar stuff.... but one question - Is there anything in WCS worth upgrading for? It would probably be my number 1 B/W title in the collection, and I never even thought twice about it since it seems to have no low end, and decent quality from the stock ones...

Try it.. you'll like it! The original speakers were cheap when they were new almost 20 years ago! Speaker upgrades are part of any restoration job that comes through my workshop..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Malden, MA
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside