View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
20160811_130226_(resized).jpg
2808f2_(resized).jpg
WCS_2_pst_(resized).jpg
world_cup_alt_(resized).jpg
WORLDCUPSOCCER-01_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Is there an alternate translite for World Cup Soccer that is more seriously soccer orientated instead of the ones with girls on it?

#2 7 years ago

There are girls on the WCS translight? . Huh.

#3 7 years ago

Yeah, there are two alternate ones. This one and another one with a line up of chicks in front of a goal. Tacky.

The soccer dog is just super lame looking and I'd rather have a soccer themed translite that goes well with the game action and call outs.

WORLDCUPSOCCER-01_(resized).jpgWORLDCUPSOCCER-01_(resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

I was initally thinking about changing out my translite, too, but then I realized how integrated Striker the soccer dog is in the game. Between kicking the ball back, to his "Hideout", to pretty much every TV mode and the Boston Tea Party mode, he's everywhere. May as well be on the translite, too.

#5 7 years ago

First thing my 20 year old son said when he saw the game was he liked the cabinet art a lot, but that dog is way lame.

I found this pic in a 3 year old thread from a pinsider in New Zealand. I'd be happy with this alt version....even though that has to be the fugliest trophy ever.

world_cup_alt_(resized).jpgworld_cup_alt_(resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

The soccer dog is just gay looking

WTF, not cool.

#7 7 years ago

The cartoon dog "Striker" was the mascot for the '94 World Cup. As such, I don't see the problem with his integration into the artwork, but I guess that's just me.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

I was initally thinking about changing out my translite, too, but then I realized how integrated Striker the soccer dog is in the game. Between kicking the ball back, to his "Hideout", to pretty much every TV mode and the Boston Tea Party mode, he's everywhere. May as well be on the translite, too.

I wouldn't mind him on the translite if he didn't take up nearly all the space. He's a mascot to soccer, so soccer should be front and center and the mascot in the corner or something.

Anyway, that translite with the trophy would be totally fine with me. Sent a PM to the person who posted it 3 years ago and will see what I find out.

#9 7 years ago

Here's an update. The creator of the alt translite above never printed it because the game was sold eventually. But he offered to send me the PS file, so I may go ahead and print it out. Would be a project I've never done before, so that's cool.

In the meantime, I think this translite looks great and for $50 (slight damage in the grass area), I think it's a HUGE improvement over the dog and states that this is a serious soccer game. The gameplay and callouts aren't played for goofiness and it's serious, exciting soccer.

I think the perfect alt translite would be 3rd person behind a player attacking the goal with the goalie diving to make a save...or will he?

WCS_2_pst_(resized).jpgWCS_2_pst_(resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

In the meantime, I think this translite looks great and for $50 (slight damage in the grass area),

Oh Yeah! I like this one. Where is it available?

#11 7 years ago

The dog is the mascot of the World Cup in 1994 and is great in my eyes. Three cheers for Striker!!! Hip hip....hooray!
Hip hip....hooray!
Hip hip....hooray!

That's said...the soccer ball alt translite just posted is kinda cool

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

Oh Yeah! I like this one. Where is it available?

PM me. $100 shipped. I just happened to get lucky and a slightly damaged one was available now for $50.

#13 7 years ago

Uff those alternates are rough. Just boring city

#14 7 years ago

Guess I'm the oddball....I actually like the original translite....a lot going on in it...lights well, Striker fits the gameplay perfectly!!!...oh well, just me.

#15 7 years ago

Soccer ball alt looks cool - def could use a little more going on though.

#16 7 years ago

Striker is the mascot so he makes sense to me, i like the translite the way it is. Also fits the 90's

#17 7 years ago

Keep the Striker Translite in case you ever decide to sell the game. That ball and saggy gold ball sac translites above...........just don't look very good, but if you like them better then get it. The next buyer may not though.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Here's an update. The creator of the alt translite above never printed it because the game was sold eventually. But he offered to send me the PS file, so I may go ahead and print it out. Would be a project I've never done before, so that's cool.
In the meantime, I think this translite looks great and for $50 (slight damage in the grass area), I think it's a HUGE improvement over the dog and states that this is a serious soccer game. The gameplay and callouts aren't played for goofiness and it's serious, exciting soccer.
I think the perfect alt translite would be 3rd person behind a player attacking the goal with the goalie diving to make a save...or will he?

Is "serious, exciting soccer" an oxymoron?

#19 7 years ago

That's why these are called alternate translates. They aren't called better translites, they are just another option for guys who don't wanna see a dumb corporate cartoon mascot dog.

I think the dog looks childish and I don't want it prominently on display in my bar.

#20 7 years ago

Those are the worst alt. translights I've ever seen. Might as well stick with Striker.

#21 7 years ago

See, in *MY* opinion, striker is juvenile and not relevant to soccer. Striker make 4 appearances on the playfield and is on the left sling plastic and the hideout plastic. That's already enough dumb dog for me.

Just like I replaced Alec on my Shadow, I am not allowing him to be brightly displayed in my bar. Just no.

Some of you guys are acting like I want to replace Snoopy on a Peanuts themed pinball machine. And I also wasn't looking for opinions on whether you like Striker or whether anyone liked the alternate translites. I was just looking for alternate translite options. Found one I could live with at minimal price and done and done.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

You just described the translite for Gottlieb World Challenge Soccer, the plain and simple-minded ginger cousin of WCS94.

2808f2_(resized).jpg2808f2_(resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

Striker for life here. He's a dog, dogs rock. Besides, not many alt translites actually fit well with the existing artwork on the game besides Aurichs stuff

#24 7 years ago

Those alt. translites are Gottlieb-Raven-Bad. Striker is central to the gameplay, the animations, and the 1994 World Cup in general.

Search 'World Cup 1994' on eBay and you'll see tons of non-pinball items with Striker on them. The BG on WCS is exponentially better than any of those alt's above.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Guess I'm the oddball....I actually like the original translite.

Same here. Have always been fond of it since day 1

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

You just described the translite for Gottlieb World Challenge Soccer, the plain and simple-minded ginger cousin of WCS94.

I saw that last night when looking for alternate translite and though it would've been perfect until I noticed is was for an actual Gottlieb game.

#27 7 years ago

Check out the mod I did last night. Stadium lights in the back corners are nice and bright and look super!

Game still needs the top side torn down and shopped, but looking good so far.

20160811_130226_(resized).jpg20160811_130226_(resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

See, in *MY* opinion, striker is juvenile and not relevant to soccer. Striker make 4 appearances on the playfield and is on the left sling plastic and the hideout plastic. That's already enough dumb dog for me.

I totally get it, it's a dumb cartoon dog & I don't like dogs anyway. All some of us are trying to say is in *OUR* opinion the things you've shown us look like a total bag of shit (or dicks), and much worse than a carton dog.

#29 7 years ago

My thread and I didn't ask for opinions, just alternate translite options.

My game and my opinion is the only one that counts. I'm not a pinball purist nor am I running a pinball museum, heck I'm not even a soccer fan, so Striker means jack squat to me. I love playing WCS but hate that translite. Not saying the others are terrific and none would be my choice of design for a translite, but for $50 I'll take a basic translite to ditch the dog.

#30 7 years ago

I dig the stadium lights. Nice touch.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

I dig the stadium lights. Nice touch.

I can't take credit for the stadium lights idea. A pinsider on the WCS club thread did the mod first. I happened to have two Comet 6 LED strips handy and wired them to GI and placed above the stadium light decals. Really is an eye popping, simple mod and makes the decals look like actual stadium lights.

#32 7 years ago

...and my god this game is so much fun!! I can't stop playing it, but I need to do a tear down shop job up top still. Since it's fully working and playable, I'll jump back over to my Shadow pin and finish that so I can keep playing WCS.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Check out the mod I did last night. Stadium lights in the back corners are nice and bright and look super!
Game still needs the top side torn down and shopped, but looking good so far.

Nice! Really does make me think of watching a game in the evening with the lights glaring down on the field

#34 7 years ago

OP....looks like our collections are very similar!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

4 years later
#35 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yeah, there are two alternate ones. This one and another one with a line up of chicks in front of a goal. Tacky.
The soccer dog is just super lame looking and I'd rather have a soccer themed translite that goes well with the game action and call outs.
[quoted image]

where did you find this pic ?

1 year later
#36 1 year ago

Someone should make a Translate with that girl and her black shorts…

#37 1 year ago

I'm wishing for a re-imagined translite from Brian Allen. And using the the ref in black shorts would be a great start.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballdork:

I'm wishing for a re-imagined translite from Brian Allen. And using the the ref in black shorts would be a great start.

agreed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wcs-94-alternate-translite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.