Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Baiter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

A lot of leagues let you drop your lowest night or two if you have good/perfect attendance. I think this works out okay, but I'd love to kick around some other ideas.

So, is there a way for a league to allow for people to miss without punishing, but also incentivize attendance in a way that doesn't mess with the rankings (like dropping lowest scores)? Any ideas? I have this feeling that there is a brilliant solution out there...

#2 9 years ago

League I'm in you can buy a raffle ticket every time you're there that will go to giving away a pin or cash drawing at the final date.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

League I'm in you can buy a raffle ticket every time you're there that will go to giving away a pin or cash drawing at the final date.

That doesn't really help with the scoring though. Maybe raffle off a high score? lol

In all seriousness, have you tried asking folks directly why they might not feel like coming (aside from scheduling conflicts and whatnot)

#4 9 years ago

In PPL we changed the scoring of each game to 5-3-2-1 from the way it was before (4-2-1-0) to give incentive for people to show up. That way even if someone has a bad week and takes last place on all three games, they will still get a weekly score of a 3, which is better than a zero if you didn't show up.

This isn't a perfect solution but it seems to be better than the previous way.

#5 9 years ago

Where to begin?!

Beer
    Grub
    Beer
    T Shirts
    Beer
    Hot chicks
    Beer
    Gold star sticker
    Beer

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That doesn't really help with the scoring though.

Ah sorry, I was going at the wrong angle there.

#7 9 years ago

My league was 4-3-2-1 scoring. Your rank in the league is based on average score (per game), so missing a night doesn't hurt. Had a rule that if you missed 1 or 0 nights, you got your lowest week dropped...which ended up moving you up in the standings.

I didn't have a problem at all with attendance (though I know one person intentionally skipped the final week for strategic purposes). Dropping scores just mixes things up in a way seems to reflect attendance more than skill. (Though maybe it should?)

Would be willing to try out something else...but not at the cost of opening up new avenues for strategic skipping.

#8 9 years ago

Skipped on purpose. What kind of pussy is that? Seems like penalties need to be stiffened.
    Maybe part of league should be one team game per session ( one flipper / person).
    So eight men on a four player game on a nice hard em game.
    Ask the local bowling league captains not showing up is highly frownd upon.

Very cool to see pinball leagues being more common!

#9 9 years ago

Leagues just seem like a big time commitment. In my biz, I can't guarantee attendance. Sounds like a good time, though.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Seems like penalties need to be stiffened.

I would kind of think that goes against the whole idea of getting together with a bunch of people to have fun playing pinball. You want to be inclusive, not exclusive.

#11 9 years ago

I like the way ballers works here in WI. Come when you can, every month is independent. Everybody antes in to a pot, top 3 get paid.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Gold star sticker

Really liking that Gold Star sticker incentive.

#13 9 years ago

Allow x amount of pre-makeup scoresheets so if you physically miss a match or two, they play against your scores. Handicap by using a % of the pre-makeup score if you feel there's an advantage.

#14 9 years ago

Free handy's in the bathroom?

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I like the way ballers works here in WI. Come when you can, every month is independent. Everybody antes in to a pot, top 3 get paid.

Thanks man, I am glad you like it. It really is just a chill, fun way to hangout and play some pinball each month. If you guys don't know what he is referring to, here is a link to the league- http://wisconsinpinball.com/viewforum.php?f=19

To the OP, is your season monthly for 12 months? If so, that is a grind for sure. A lot of people play for IFPA points, and a lot more don't. If your league members just enjoy playing each month, maybe the incentive is side action of some sort? One of the things I stole from another league (which I really like) is a side game, with one shot at a high score. People throw a little money in the kiddie, and at the end of the night, winner takes all on it....

#16 9 years ago

my league has homemade cookies.
    it is played in a format that is very user friendly but obviously not very ifpa friendly (low points).
    at the beginning of each night, the four lowest ranked players pick the machines.

and i think you already know how i feel about dropped scores, pre plays, bonus points, handicaps and all that jazz. my league has nine people and it is split pretty much in half in terms of casual players, and competitive players, and they all know that they are they are there to have fun with each other and do their best, not become grand champ of the city, kinda takes a load off everyones shoulders. that combined with a short run time of one month, and a low flat entry fee.

#17 9 years ago

--edited out my worthless post---

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

To the OP, is your season monthly for 12 months? If so, that is a grind for sure.

Last one was 9 weeks plus a finals (with a week off each month on the night of the monthly tournament). Next will be 8 weeks plus a finals.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

If playing pinball isn't incentive enough they shouldn't be in league. Next.

You obviously didn't read any part of this thread. Next.

#20 9 years ago

Ryan, I assume you are talking about a location league?

In that case, it is different from most leagues.

At our locations we have found that nobody wants to be roped in for a set number or times of attendance as real life often gets in the way. Instead of a league we run a monthly. We meet once per month, ALL are welcome, no entry fee, and the bar gives away a pitcher or free drinks. We also give away madisonpinball swag on occassion.

We average a consistent 20-24 people each month. The main motivation seems to be to want to play pinball and hang out. Some like IFPA points so we have that as an incentive for those that do. Starting this year I plan to host an end of year event at my house which is based on attandence or points or ? at all the monthlies. Basically an added perk for those that play in themonthlies on a regular basis.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Last one was 9 weeks plus a finals (with a week off each month on the night of the monthly tournament). Next will be 8 weeks plus a finals.

Silly question... have you put it out to the league participants for their input? Personally, looking at how short the league is (8 weeks/8 sessions if I am reading this right), I would just punish those that don't participate.

How big is the league?

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

You obviously didn't read any part of this thread. Next.

My apologies for being glib.

Our league has 20 members and is grouped into 5 groups of 4. We group by player averages so groups consist of your direct competition as far as current league standings. Scoring per night is done based on how well a player scores against everyone else as well as their group. If you have the high score for the night you receive 20 points, 2nd highest 19 and so on. These points do not change if you have 20 people show up or 10.

We also give bonus points for high score for the night as well as winning your specific group.

The incentive is simply in a player's desire to not give points away. This really puts the onus on the player to show up and removes the director from enforcing a penalty or bonus for showing up.

Sorry again for my first post.

#23 9 years ago

The league I play in meets once a month (first Sunday). I can commit to that, it's something I look forward to and plan around. My family knows that I have a commitment once a month for instance.

I couldn't handle that weekly. Just too much real life to be able to consistently not miss something once a week.

Maybe you could have a once a month meeting that goes towards a season that's the "important" league meeting, that people could really plan around, and then the other 3 weeks could be one-off meetings, where there's a winner per session, and it's more informal.

Then you could play as often as you could make it, but really just try and commit to the monthly session, and not feel terrible if you have to miss some of the others.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Ryan, I assume you are talking about a location league?

Yeah, it's a location league. Funny, that's how all the leagues are out here, so I assumed that was the norm.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

The question isn't: "How can I improve my attendance?" (which, was great throughout), it's: "The system I used incentivized attendance by letting you drop your lowest score, but are there other ways to do it that don't involve messing with the scoring?".

All in all...this is extremely minor tweak I'm looking for. My attendance was good. Only one player tried to take advantage (on one night). I'm not interested in changing the way my league does points, or how it is ranked (by *average* score per game, thus not affected if you miss a night), or the format of how often we play. 12 of the 15 players are returning next season.

I'm just wondering if there are any other creative suggestions for making sure there aren't strategic reasons for skipping. Of course, saying this out loud, I realize that most of my players wouldn't do it.

Maybe something like "free league t-shirt for perfect attendance, $20 otherwise". Or a bar tab. This last league, the final night was played at an incredible private collection...so I feel like that was a good incentive. I like the raffle idea too.

#25 9 years ago

I also had a minimum attendance threshold in place. You could miss 3 nights. If it is more than that, then you don't get to play in the final tournament, and you wouldn't earn WPPR points. But I don't want to invite thoughts of: "well, I've played the minimum, so I can skip the rest". Not so much because I'm worried a lot of people who do that, but more out of not wanting to have any loopholes.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

My apologies for being glib.
    Our league has 20 members and is grouped into 5 groups of 4. We group by player averages so groups consist of your direct competition as far as current league standings. Scoring per night is done based on how well a player scores against everyone else as well as their group. If you have the high score for the night you receive 20 points, 2nd highest 19 and so on. These points do not change if you have 20 people show up or 10.
    We also give bonus points for high score for the night as well as winning your specific group.
    The incentive is simply in a player's desire to not give points away. This really puts the onus on the player to show up and removes the director from enforcing a penalty or bonus for showing up.
    Sorry again for my first post.

No worries.

Sounds like mine is very similar to yours. What happens if you don't show up? What are the overall standings based on?

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

No worries.
    Sounds like mine is very similar to yours. What happens if you don't show up? What are the overall standings based on?

We have an end of season tournament that counts towards your overall score. We use regular season finishing spots to seed. If a player does not attend 4 regular season nights they are not eligible to play in the end of season tournament. The value of the tournament is not as great as a regular season night but can certainly determine an overall finishing position.

We have monetary awards for top 3 in regular season, the final tournament and overall season winners.

Overall standings consist of 4 rounds of regular league play plus your tournament finish.

I can send you a couple of our league rules if interested. richmondpinball@gmail......

#28 9 years ago

just read your previous post. Our leagues sound very similar.

#29 9 years ago

I guess force flow

But I read it as a league and team/sole competition.

Not just showing up at chuck's bar for drinks and pinball.

Kind of like open bowling and league bowling. Both are fine but there is a big difference.

As far as being a big commitment yes i am sure it is. My brother and a couple close friends talked me into a Wednesday night bowling league for a couple years. Not really digging the grind at times but that is all part of the commitment of League.

Mini tournaments and get togethers are more to my liking personally but that is the gateway drug to the big leagues!

#30 9 years ago

Seeing as how you are in CO, how about a free pinner to the monthly winner?

#31 9 years ago

Here we normally do anywhere from a 8-12 week league which meets once a week. Players can drop their two lowest weeks, so if you miss and get a 0, you can drop that week and still be fine. Cost is $5 a week and you pay whether or not you are there for that week, which is a little incentive to still go. We do groups of 4 that are set by weekly average for the first half of the league and then total points for the second. We do that because lower ranked players can get into the top group depending on how many nights they have missed and how well they did when they were there and they don't want to be in the top group normally.

We do 4-3-2-1 scoring with a bonus .5 points whenever you get in the top 4 scores on each of the 5 games.

It's worked pretty well here. You get similar skill sets playing against each other and you can still miss a week or two and still be in it for league champ which is great for people with crazy hour jobs or families.

#32 9 years ago

MCPL does Tuesday nights for 10 weeks plus a finals. You can pre-play as long as your scores are initialed by another league player. We allow pre-play's for a maximum of 3 weeks. If you miss a night and don't have a pre-play sheet, it's a forfeit. Forfeit 3 nights and you are out until the next season.

Most of our players(27 last league) see the importance of doing the pre-play sheets because you just never know what life will throw your way. We do sometimes get the player who thinks "Oh, I'll never miss a week", then they miss a week or two and find themselves near the bottom of their division.

When I first started the league about 6 years ago, we did try allowing everyone to drop their worst night. That really didn't work out too good. Sometimes there were some weird swings in the results at week 10 and some players(including myself) didn't feel it was fair.

We use FSPA scoring so a perfect night is 20 pts(rarely happens). So let's say your worst night was a 3. You think "Great, I get to drop a 3!" But let's say your worst night was a 9. You think "Crap, I'm losing 9 points!" Plus we would sometimes get the intentional no show on week 10 so they would get to drop a Zero.

#33 9 years ago

Pay money out on points!
    more weeks=more points=more $$$$
    However, I tried that in the Denver league, and the amount I was able to pay out still made it kind of moot.
    We have tried to tweak this at Lyons over the years, and the current setup really is about as good as we could come up with.
    Also, the WPPR rankings are unaffected by dropped weeks, those results are just unadjusted averages. (assuming min. weeks were attended)
    When the players get to drop their lowest, that really only affects the seeding for the finals, not the results. (you still have to play and win)
    I look at the drops as more of a slight seeding reward, as opposed to a penalty for those missing weeks.
    But if someone has played well enough to be able to miss and get the bracket setup the way they want, then whatever. was it Tim? lol

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Most of our players(27 last league) see the importance of doing the pre-play sheets because you just never know what life will throw your way. We do sometimes get the player who thinks "Oh, I'll never miss a week", then they miss a week or two and find themselves near the bottom of their division.

can players do a pre-play, and then still show up to play?
    Players could abuse that setup.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

A lot of leagues let you drop your lowest night or two if you have good/perfect attendance. I think this works out okay, but I'd love to kick around some other ideas.
    So, is there a way for a league to allow for people to miss without punishing, but also incentivize attendance in a way that doesn't mess with the rankings (like dropping lowest scores)? Any ideas? I have this feeling that there is a brilliant solution out there...

We do league average for misses. First miss you get 100% of your average and then it drops by 20% each time you miss. We meet monthly during the year. Averages change monthly so you still have to attend to keep your average up if you have missed a few.

#36 9 years ago

We do 12 months, first Saturday of the month. Weekly leagues would be awesome, but that would be tough. Maybe if somebody else ran it. :p

Last year we did points based on attendance (9 players, points were 9,8,7,...) but that was ended because it was pretty unbalanced. This year, we use IFPA linear scoring over 8 or 9 machines. I take the total points and divide by the number of machines to get the average. The average is what is used (added up) through the year to rank players. You get to drop 1 low score, including a single zero if you have any. It was a little more work on my part for the spreadsheet I use to track the standings, but the information is much easier to understand compared to last year.

I've been trying to figure out a way to bump the numbers up a little as well. I like the idea of a random drawing for a league t-shirt (that I still have to get to) but I don't have the budget for that. I only charge $10 a year to cover trophies, so maybe a $5 or $10 shirt if you are the random draw that month instead of a $20 shirt would work.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

can players do a pre-play, and then still show up to play?
    Players could abuse that setup.

Yes. Our pre-plays are not dated, so they can be used at any time a player can't make it. Our location has about 30 pins, so what we do is this. If you have to use a pre-play, then 4 scores get crossed off your sheet for that night. Then, you only have to re-play those 4 again and not do another entire sheet.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Pay money out on points!
    more weeks=more points=more $$$$
    However, I tried that in the Denver league, and the amount I was able to pay out still made it kind of moot.

Can you explain this in more detail?

Quoted from DNO:

We have tried to tweak this at Lyons over the years, and the current setup really is about as good as we could come up with.

I really like the way that one works, which is why I'm doing mine the same way. My first league at Lyons, I moved down 10 spots after the 2 drops...going from the bubble of A, to nearly having to play my way in to the B bracket (and then easily cruising to the B finals). So I felt like 2 drops was a little too unbalancing. Last time around, one week got canceled so there was only 1 drop, and it seemed more fair.

But after seeing all the responses in this thread, a lot of the other options sound really complicated, and I'm probably just worrying about nothing. Especially, as you've reminded me, because it's really only affects the seeding for the final tournament and not WPPR points.

Quoted from DNO:

But if someone has played well enough to be able to miss and get the bracket setup the way they want, then whatever. was it Tim? lol

Good point. If you've made it every week, then you've earned the right to skip the last week (which is going to be held at a private collection anyway - so you'd be missing out). Tim wasn't in my league, so no, it wasn't him.

#39 9 years ago

I just got done with my first league and although I had a lot of fun, there were some aspects I didn't care for much. The pinball, beer and people were awesome, but the scoring annoyed me.

We did a 7-5-3-1 system that allowed for you to drop your lowest 2 nights out of only 8. That seems like a lot if you ask me?

Each night we were grouped according to total points. After the 8th "regular" night, we had our finals which was a single game used to determine the winner of the league. The entire 8 weeks was basically used to flight the league for the final night. Is that normal?

A friend of mine was in 4th place until the last night when he was overtaken and dropped into the 5th spot. That put him in the B flight. He had a bad game and ended up in 7th place. The entire league he clawed his way to the top only to be beat down because of one bad game.

Doesn't there seem to be something inherently wrong with that scenario?

I'm also not sure I'm a fan of the $15 fee at the beginning of the league for the IFPA thing. I really don't care about points and think they'll be detrimental to me in the end. I might be good compared to the 12 people I play with, but when they use those points to rank me nationally, it's going to be a blood bath.

It's not that I'm worried about the $15, but I would rather them spend that on beer or food for the last night.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

I can't think of a better incentive scheme than Lyons uses.

10 week league (not all consecutive), with the ability to drop 2 lowest scores gives an incentive to be there there each week, but if you miss a week or two then you're just dropping those weeks, and incur no real penalty for a miss or two. The reward for better attendance? Better seeding at the finals. Miss more than 2 weeks and you loose seeding, and possibily a spot in the finals. I spent all season looking forward dropping one or two particularly bad weeks, then when I was forced to miss a week, I was disappointed but at the same time was glad that I didn't incur a penalty when life got in the way.

I'll always bring up my experience in pool leagues because I still think competitive pinball rules are in their relative infancy. Weekly pool leagues do very well drawing players of all levels because of its team concept which requires a handicap system. Grouping players by week based on average score in pinball leagues partially accomplishes this, but when you don't have team play, you lack peer pressure to attend and contribute, you lack camaraderie, and you lack coaching from teammates. Pinball leagues need high attendance for this to work, but it is another possible format to consider.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'm also not sure I'm a fan of the $15 fee at the beginning of the league for the IFPA thing.

What is this? There doesn't need to be a charge for WPPR points. Leagues/tournaments here charge you upfront - and all money goes into the prizepool, where 100% is awarded back to the players at the end.

Quoted from Baiter:

but when you don't have team play, you lack peer pressure to attend and contribute, you lack camaraderie, and you lack coaching from teammates

That actually sounds awesome. I can imagine individual scores recorded for overall seeding, but play each week in teams of 2. Highest seed and lowest seed team up to take on second highest seed and second lowest seed in a four player game where you combine teammates scores. That would be a great way to teach the newer players.

Baiter, are you going to join my next league? Maybe we can brainstorm this. If not every week, it would be fun to do once in a while. I can run the idea by my regular players.

#42 9 years ago

The problemwithteam play is the ringers will always try to put together the dream team, and then rookies don't stand a chance. But random teams would not please a lot either. Pool overcomes this with handicaps, but I'm not a fan of that in pinball, I think. (haven't been in a situation that uses it, however)

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

What is this? There doesn't need to be a charge for WPPR points.

I think you're right and that I misunderstood where the $15 went. I think that's where the food came from the last night. It was our first league, so I wasn't sure if it was something the owner of the bar threw in as an incentive or if the $15 paid for it.

It might have been a combination of both.

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

The problemwithteam play is the ringers will always try to put together the dream team, and then rookies don't stand a chance. But random teams would not please a lot either. Pool overcomes this with handicaps, but I'm not a fan of that in pinball, I think. (haven't been in a situation that uses it, however)

Not random teams....teams based on seedings, the same way you'd assign matchups in a seeded tournament. Teams would be different each week based on standings. It'd be almost impossible to form a team that played together more than once...or even once, for that matter.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I also had a minimum attendance threshold in place. You could miss 3 nights

So there is your problem. If you could miss 3 nights and not be penalized then you have to allow everyone to drop their three lowest scores. Everyone has to have the same amount of "weekly" scores to be fair.

If you do it this way there is no advantage to not showing up to an event. Even if it is your worst event it will be dropped and not count.

If you are going to allow 3 misses and not drop scores then the players have to think strategically what is best. You should never reward someone for not showing up. If i understand correctly that is exactly what you are doing.

#46 9 years ago

And also, I don't really have to worry about ringers at the moment.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jdawg4422:

If you are going to allow 3 misses and not drop scores then the players have to think strategically what is best. You should never reward someone for not showing up. If i understand correctly that is exactly what you are doing.

Well, I'd like to lean towards final standings being more reflective of skill than attendance. It's a tricky balance.

There is no reward for skipping. You just stay where you are in the standings.

#48 9 years ago

Someone recently told me that in their league, during finals matches, the person with the best attendance would start out with the choice of game/position. I like that idea. Maybe even give them choice in *all* games in the tournament - which wouldn't necessarily be a crazy advantage since it's a relatively small collection (10 games) of entirely modern games...so everyone has to know them well and you can't specialize in EMs or anything.

#49 9 years ago

We have a weekly Wednesday night tournament (last night was #194) in a randomly drawn head to head double elimination bracket. $5. entry, payout top 2. May to October is considered the league season. Points awarded based on weekly finish: 1st 10 points, 2nd 7 points, 3rd 5 points, 4th 4 points, 5th 3 points, 7th 2 points, 9th 1 points, 13+ zero points. During league, weekly entry is $6. with the extra dollar going toward the payouts at the end of the league.

Final league standings are based on your twenty best weekly scores. If someone plays every week, they can drop their five lowest scores. Play twenty or less weeks, they all count.

The last week is the league final. Based on the final league standings of those in attendance for the finals, players 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16, etc play together. You can only finish as high as the group you are in. For example, the player who was 10th in the standings can finish no higher than 9th and no lower than 12th. If you want to win the league you must be in the top 4 of the standings and attend the finals night.

The final placement of those that do not attend finals is based on the league standings and numbered after all those that do participate in finals. For example, the player in second place on the league standings does not attend the finals, 20 others do. Those that attend finish 1 through 20 while the player in 2nd during the season finishes 21st.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Teams would be different each week based on standings.

That's more just like a group, as opposed to a team.
    I like the idea of two 4-player teams pitted against each other, maybe a swiss heads-up for each player (with the group deciding machine), then a split-flipper round, then some golf!
    That would make even randomly grouped, seeded, or handicapped sets of people need to work together to try to gain the team the most points in a round.
    But if teams are different each week, who cars?

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ways-to-incentivize-league-attendance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.