Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Betelgeuse
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I posted this on an old Spooky thread but I thought more people would see it if I started a new topic.

Congratulations to Chuck, Ben, KT, and all the minions, including Bug and Squirrel. I have seen them all working hard at the Spooky plant (including Chuck's mom!) I am amazed, impressed and proud of what Chuck has accomplished. I was talking with Chuck when he told me he was thinking of quitting his job and starting a pinball company. I told him he was crazy and that he didn't know all the problems he was going to face. And of course, he didn't know, but he learned fast and solved each problem along the way. Spooky Pinball is the first boutique company to mass produce a game, and he started AFTER all the others. Chuck is an amazingly talented guy and I firmly believe Spooky Pinball will be around for a long time. Ben is, of course, a genius who can do anything he decides to do. He has a great sense of humor and unlike many people with genius, he's not really very weird.

One of my favorite quotes is by Calvin Coolidge, "Press on, Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

I sent this to Chuck early on in his adventure and he has proven it true.

Way to go Chuck, KT, Ben, and team!

Dennis

#2 9 years ago

One month in and the game is fantastic!

#3 9 years ago

Continued success!!!!

#4 9 years ago

Great people, great game, play On!!

1 week later
#5 9 years ago

Yes, good job Spooky. I love the quote btw.

Free bump for the team at Spooky.

#6 9 years ago

Can't wait to play some AMH at York!!

#7 9 years ago

Friends stopped by last night. They love AMH.

#8 9 years ago

Is the game available yet? Looks really cool, I've been away from pinball for awhile.

#9 9 years ago

We've been playing the snot out of my AMH. Loving it!

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from sb80:

Is the game available yet? Looks really cool, I've been away from pinball for awhile.

Order it. Well worth the wait.

#12 9 years ago

Thanks a bunch! Looks simple in a really great way and it would look great next to my MB. Been watching videos on it.

3 months later
#13 9 years ago

So I'm seriously thinking about putting my down payment this week on an AMH. I really love what Charlie has started and believe in supporting small businesses (especially those that truly know what they're doing and are actually shipping games).

I know there are a few 3d printed parts, but in the opinion of those that own it... How does this build compare to williams and Stern quality? This would be my first NIB purchase and I just don't want to regret it. So far from what I've read it seems like issues are very minimal.

#14 9 years ago

So much of the game play, rules, call outs and "vibe" is a subjective topic... Some will be drawn to the theme and campiness, some will not relate or get it or just plain not like it... I totally understand all of that. However, the build of the game is less subjective.

The "build quality" is excellent, IMO. In some ways it is superior than say, a Stern Pro. Metal apron, really nice bright LED strips to light trans-lite, excellent clear coat on play field, metal ramps... etc.

It has it's own feel. Doesn't feel just like a Stern or a B/WM.

Everyone that has come over and played it, and looked inside is kinda shocked how high quality the build is from a "start up". The Flipper Fidelity kit makes me rethink my stance on upgrading old sound systems... I never saw the cost benefit, but this kit is awesome. With a cross-over on the amp, you can send just the lows to the sub in the bottom of the cabinet and you can shake the walls of you place... I have to keep it on like 2, as not to upset the neighbors. It is really a great sound system, and just simply superior to a Bally/Williams or Stern game.

The 3-D printed parts seem way more robust and sturdy than many injection molded plastic pieces that they could have used. The game is super clean inside, the wiring is tight, and looks factory quality to my eyes.

My issues so far have been some switches that needed adjusting. I had one broken wire off a solder point, which very well could have been my big clumsy self doing when I swapped out LED lights.

I don't like the bulbs they use, but I probably would have color matched all the inserts no matter what bulbs were used, so in reality, this wasn't even a concern.

I bought the game because when I played it last year at shows, I fell in love with the theme, the feel of the shots, and the approach of the story, etc... I knew right when I heard the comedy and the cool sounds in this game, coupled with the great feeling shots and neat toys, I wanted it. Now having the game for a few weeks, the top notch build quality just makes me feel even better about my purchase.

Hope that might help a bit if the build quality is the reason you are on the fence.

#15 9 years ago

AMH is pretty solid. Feels solid. Ball bounces solid. a lot of adjust-ability in the settings.
If you like it buy one.
It is pretty freaking challenging to play. That is for sure.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from C2CPinball:

The "build quality" is excellent, IMO. In some ways it is superior than say, a Stern Pro. Metal apron, really nice bright LED strips to light trans-lite, excellent clear coat on play field, metal ramps... etc.

It has it's own feel. Doesn't feel just like a Stern or a B/WM. The 3-D printed parts seem way more robust and sturdy than many injection molded plastic pieces that they could have used. The game is super clean inside, the wiring is tight, and looks factory quality to my eyes.

Thanks for the updated review Nate. I'm sold on the theme and gameplay. Not terribly concerned with the 3d printed parts since they are available for download, but was curious.

Quoted from C2CPinball:

I don't like the bulbs they use, but I probably would have color matched all the inserts no matter what bulbs were used, so in reality, this wasn't even a concern

Not my concern either. I'm going to assume they used mostly ablaze-1's to save cost. I'm used to having to do an LED job on every pin I buy as it is anyway (most sellers leave half-burned out incandescent in).

#17 9 years ago

Pinballbulbs is working on a lighting upgrade kit. I've been waiting on that before going too crazy with the LEDs. The inserts do look 100x better with color matched bulbs though. That's a must do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Maple Ridge, BC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/way-to-go-spooky-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.