(Topic ID: 279172)

Waxing pins makes them play waaaaay too fast...what to do?

By DakotaMike

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

petroleum-distillates (resized).jpg
    6E695D4E-3A5C-4DA1-9B41-74BE93F95F54 (resized).jpeg
    OIP (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Hey all, title is pretty self-explanatory. I've noticed that after I wax my newer pins with carnauba wax , they play way too fast. Like so crazy fast that it's not fun, and plastics are at risk of getting broken, ect. Is there any way to overcome that?
    My old 1980 Black Knight was great with wax, but my new Sterns are awful with it. Even some of my B/W games like Johnny Mnenomic or Mousin' Around are scary fast with wax. I've literally chipped plastics on those games after waxing, to the point where I had to clean the wax off. I left it on some high-wear areas like shooter-lane exits and top rollovers, but that's it.
    The only reason I want to wax is to protect the pf, but I don't want to damage plastics and mechs because of the post-wax speed boost, and I don't want the games to play like crap. Is there anything I can do about it?
    Right now, I'm operating under the precept that the pf clears on newer Sterns are robust enough that it's not worth the downsides of waxing. As long as I clean the pf regularly, and make sure the balls are in good shape, should I be fine on my newer games? Looking for some advice. At home I don't put enough games on my pins to really worry about it, but I might be doing a little routing soon, so it's of slightly more concern to me now. But again, I'd suspect rough/scratched pinballs are the main cause of pf damage, as well as a lack of mylar over high-wear areas such as ball-drops. What does everyone else think?

You are right that modern games don't really NEED to be waxed the way older ones did. As long as you keep it clean with healthy balls, you should be fine in a home environment. Wax will give a bit more protection, but I'm pretty sure it mostly just helps keep them clean longer. If you do wax (which is best), the crazy fast play will stop after a couple dozen games though, and it will be back to normal.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Don’t wax on a new game except after a really long time and sparingly. But really, novus 2 when it’s dirty and that’s really it.
    Older games I will wax a couple times a year. Helps bring the shine back to those old playfields and speeds em up.

Novus 2 is even overkill in most cases. Unless you have dirt really ground in or nasty ball trails, Novus 1 should be plenty. Never use anything more aggressive than necessary. If #1 doesn't do the trick, then bust out the #2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/waxing-pins-makes-them-play-waaaaay-too-fastwhat-to-do?tu=jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.