Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by AZDbacker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I recently got a Trail Drive pinball machine and the play field as far as I can tell has no visible wax on it. The play field paint is really crisp however. Is it safe to follow typically waxing procedures without damaging the play field?

#2 8 years ago

Yes, clean playfield with novus 2 first, then wax.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks I'm terrified to make t worse. I have novus on the way via mail not taking any risks here.

#5 8 years ago

You only need the Novus 2 if the game has ball trails or swirl marks. Otherwise just use a cleaner as Vid suggests in his article. Novus 2 is abrasive and should only be used in those once every five years, or the game hasn't been cleaned in 20 years, situations.

#6 8 years ago

This is why Millwax was invented

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

This is why Millwax was invented

Please read Vid's post and his thoughts on Millwax.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Why? I like millwax

#9 8 years ago

Millwax does not protect like actual wax does.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Direct link: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide?#post-2657083

Similar to Wildcat, Millwax is a liquid silicone and does not actually contain wax. If you have ever seen the white liquid residue that has run down all the playfield holes and onto the backside, Millwax is what it was.
It tends to fill playfield cracks with white residue, and you should keep it away from many plastics.
It make the playfield play fast for a few days, and then like other silicone products, it fades away.

#11 8 years ago

Novus 2, buff by hand with clean soft towel, wipe clean, then pure carnuba...a couple coats. That's the best you can do for older games. If paint is coming off or loose enough that cleaning will make it come off...it's going to come off during use anyway.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Novus 2, buff by hand with clean soft towel, wipe clean, then pure carnuba...a couple coats. That's the best you can do for older games. If paint is coming off or loose enough that cleaning will make it come off...it's going to come off during use anyway.

Keep in mind that novus 2 is an abrasive and might not be necessary in all cases.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Keep in mind that novus 2 is an abrasive and might not be necessary in all cases.

If it's an old EM that hasn't seen a cleaning in the last decade or more, going over it once with Novus 2 usually is necessary as an initial cleaning...at least in every old EM I have brought back to life. If it's been taken care of or came from a collector probably not necessary at all...but if it's crusty it'll need it.

#14 8 years ago

I have no problem using Millwax as it is a great cleaner after using Novus 2 lightly and really makes the playfield shine. I have no plans to use automotive clearcoat on any of my EM playfields so that nullifies that whole argument. After Millwax I wax with Blitz.

#15 8 years ago

I'm pretty sure they didn't wax in the 70s!

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm pretty sure they didn't wax in the 70s!

I've seen old dirty movies and have to agree...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JK Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Twisted Tokens
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/waxing-70s-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.