Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Grizlyrig
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you wax your balls?”

• Yes I do! 35 votes
      35%
    • No way! 29 votes
      29%
    • Stupid poll 36 votes
      36%

(100 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FA32AE76-8AF3-4830-B96E-85D4F5AD9544 (resized).jpeg
    wax.gif
    Screenshot_20191101-004900~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20191030-005959~2 (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

So after getting your playfield all stripped down and clean, you finish with a couple coats of wax.

Does anyone clean and wax their balls?
    Is it possible to benefit from this or dumb idea?

-Mike

#2 4 years ago

Always wax them after handling.Years ago I put up a Judge Dredd for a few months and balls/bolts in a bag. 3 months when I was ready to shop it out, all 6 pinball had finger print rust on them.

#3 4 years ago

I always do. Also when I sell a game I send it off with new balls(of course) that I waxed up real good just in the case the new buyer forgets or just doesn't do it

#4 4 years ago

My wife says yes.

#5 4 years ago

Yes. I also wax the glass on both sides, the legs, cabinet, translite, and my own flipper fingers.

#6 4 years ago

I stopped doing that at some point after I got married. I figured if she wasn’t waxing why should I?

#7 4 years ago

Waxing your balls. Hmm... Nope.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Yes. I also wax the glass on both sides, the legs, cabinet, translite, and my own flipper fingers.

Yes to waxing the balls.

But why wax the glass? On both sides, too. And the cab? A coat of wax on that will last forever.

#9 4 years ago

Yes, it help to keep them from getting rust on them.

#10 4 years ago

I never handle the pinballs with bare hands. Always use a cloth and wipe them down every time I clean and wax the playfield. This stops any rust. Wax does not adhere well to the balls, anyway.

#11 4 years ago

Yes, and I never handle them with my bare hands. Either gloved hands or a microfiber cloth. The oils from your hands will react with the metal (and just about any steel part in the game).

#12 4 years ago

Years ago I bought a bunch of new balls and put them on the shelf. When I went to use them a few months later there was quite a bit of surface rust on all of them. Since then, I keep them stored submerged in motor oil. It only takes a few minutes to clean them using some lacquer thinner when it's time to change the balls.

#13 4 years ago
    Screenshot_20191030-005959~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191030-005959~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191101-004900~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191101-004900~2 (resized).png
    #14 4 years ago

But do you wax your legs?

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

Years ago I bought a bunch of new balls and put them on the shelf. When I went to use them a few months later there was quite a bit of surface rust on all of them. Since then, I keep them stored submerged in motor oil. It only takes a few minutes to clean them using some lacquer thinner when it's time to change the balls.

I store mine in baby oil.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I store mine in baby oil.

Really ? In a ziploc or plastic container?
    Coated or completely covered?
    -Mike

#17 4 years ago

I see so far 43% thought this was "stupid poll"
    But I was genuinely asking and knew it would come with humorous answers.
    -Mike

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Really ? In a ziploc or plastic container?
    Coated or completely covered?
    -Mike

In a plastic jar. Submerged. I pull them out with an extension magnet.

The oil is light weight and colorless.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

it would come with humorous answers.

Shave first, then wax. Unless it's really cold out. Then leave the hair to help keep them warm.

Unless you mean to wax them and then pull the wax/hair off, no. Too painful.

LTG : )

#20 4 years ago

On a serious note (sorry) what grade of steel do they use for the balls? I am a metallurgical engineer and now I am kinda curious. I guess I had just assume they were 304l stainless

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

On a serious note (sorry) what grade of steel do they use for the balls? I am a metallurgical engineer and now I am kinda curious. I guess I had just assume they were 304l stainless

It's some flavor of carbon steel as stainless would not work well with the magnets. I'm sure there are some posts discussing the various steel options.

#22 4 years ago

Wow I never even thought about it but now I’m going to store my balls in a dark oily place with low humidity. I have some finger prints on a couple balls in play right now. #worriedaboutrustyballs

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

It's some flavor of carbon steel as stainless would not work well with the magnets. I'm sure there are some posts discussing the various steel options.

Good point...at least for the 304L, but it could be made out 440C or another grade of martensitic stainless steel. The martensitic grades are ferromagnetic.

However, I suspect you are correct... it is probably something like 1045 or even a bearing steel like 52100.

#24 4 years ago

I pick them up with my hands and rub em down in my t-shirt before depositing back in the game.
    Never thought fingerprints would have such a drastic effect as rusting the balls, also never had any issues.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Never thought fingerprints would have such a drastic effect as rusting the balls,

Salt, sweat, acids. All kinds of things are on your fingers. Coming from within, or from things you handled.

LTG : )

#26 4 years ago

I handle my balls almost daily (repair work, yeah, that's it).

Guess I should start waxing now.

#27 4 years ago

Wax on...wax off!

#28 4 years ago

Waxing your balls? Well, that's gotta hurt. So, no.
    But handling with your bare hands. Yeah.

Oh, for the pinball machine! Wax - yes. Bare hands - no.

#29 4 years ago

#30 4 years ago

Sure thing

wax.gifwax.gif
    #31 4 years ago

Everyday, twice on Sunday.

#32 4 years ago

In all seriousness I haves tried waxing my balls. It makes the game play crazy for a short period of time and then the wax wears off and everything is back to normal. I think I remember Vid saying not to bother waxing balls but to always handle them with cloth, never bare hands. I’m not religious about it but I generally wipe my balls with an alcohol soaked rag after handling them.

#33 4 years ago

This was from a shop job I did a few years back on my Tron.

Mmmmmmm. Brand new waxy Tron balls...

FA32AE76-8AF3-4830-B96E-85D4F5AD9544 (resized).jpegFA32AE76-8AF3-4830-B96E-85D4F5AD9544 (resized).jpeg

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

This was from a shop job I did a few years back on my Tron.
    Mmmmmmm. Brand new waxy Tron balls...
    [quoted image]

What happened to those? Looks ugly.
    -Mike

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

What happened to those? Looks ugly.
    -Mike

There is wax all over them. I then wiped them down, let them dry, and finally microfibered the hell out of them. I thought that was the question

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

There is wax all over them. I then wiped them down, let them dry, and finally microfibered the hell out of them. I thought that was the question

I've never waxed my balls, so I wasn't sure what I was looking at in your pic. Almost looked like damaged balls.
    -Mike

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wax-your-balls?hl=dashmonster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.