New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 141529)

Wax or clear, need some advice

By pinhead_jack

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hello all,

I have a Cleopatra that I have been fixing up and I am getting to a cross roads where I am not sure how to move forward in terms of the playfield. At his point I have touched up a few areas of paint where it had been warn down to the wood. I am not an artist but it looks ok. My next step is a good cleaning with Naptha and then...how to finish?

I am interested in clear coating it, spraymax2k seems like a good choice as I am only doing this one machine and I am new to pinball repair, but I live in Michigan and the weather is quickly turning cold. I will need to clear outside (I would build a PVC clearing tent) as the wife would kill me to have those chemicals applied in the garage (tent or not). I could instead apply a layer of carnuba wax?

This will just be a home machine played by family and friends, will the wax be protective enough? What is the right temperature for using SprayMax? Given my so-so artistic abilities is it better to just wax and enjoy and then down the road if I sell it someone else will have an easier time possibly finishing it better because they are not dealing with the clear?

I want a good looking and playing machine but I want to do each step correctly. If clear coating should not be done right now or if it is wrong for this type of machine I will skip it. I just love the glossy look, popping colors, and great finish I am seeing in the Spraymax threads.

I appreciate your advice!

#2 4 years ago

Personally, if the touch-ups aren't perfect, I wouldn't bother clear coating.

Wax it up and have fun.

In case you haven't seen this thread yet: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/

#3 4 years ago

I ran into a similar dilemma and ended up waxing. Be sure to apply a layer of clear paint like this stuff I found:
amazon.com link »

In reference to this guide:
http://www.flippers.be/playfield_touchup.html

If you don't apply the clear paint and used a air brush paint like Createx you will find even gentle waxing with the foam pad will lift the exposed paint. Lock all touch ups in with the clear paint and the wax should blend in the "shineyness" after. If possible test in an inconspicuous spot first just in case.

#4 4 years ago

Thank you for all of the feedback guys.

I did see that link, it is actually what started me down a path of wanting to clear my playfield. Researching that link led me the discovery of the SprayMax thread and here we are - heh

Quoted from TimeWarp1:

Be sure to apply a layer of clear paint

Thank you for the link and the advice, good stuff! did you clear paint just the area of touchup or did you do the whole playfield top? I am assuming just the touchup but I wanted to make sure. My playfield looks ok but I think the top layer is very thin and it is basically Just paint for the most part. Didn't know if I should use anything to protect it before waxing or just let the wax do it?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from pinhead_jack:

Thank you for all of the feedback guys.

I did see that link, it is actually what started me down a path of wanting to clear my playfield. Researching that link led me the discovery of the SprayMax thread and here we are - heh

Thank you for the link and the advice, good stuff! did you clear paint just the area of touchup or did you do the whole playfield top? I am assuming just the touchup but I wanted to make sure. My playfield looks ok but I think the top layer is very thin and it is basically Just paint for the most part. Didn't know if I should use anything to protect it before waxing or just let the wax do it?

I did just the touch up areas but note the clear paint does make it look quit shiny but I believe it blends in well with a nice wax job. I believe in the really small spots I dabbed/dropped it in but I also used an airbrush for other larger areas.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeWarp1:

I did just the touch up areas but note the clear paint does make it look quit shiny but I believe it blends in well with a nice wax job. I believe in the really small spots I dabbed/dropped it in but I also used an airbrush for other larger areas.

I imagine there would be satin clear paint as well as gloss.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I imagine there would be satin clear paint as well as gloss.

Unfortunately that brand doesn't carry a satin but same concept different brand would work. As long as some of the original clear on the playfield is around (the example I worked on was System 6 Williams era) it would be hard to tell.

#8 4 years ago

Is the "clear paint" different than "clear coat" (i.e. easier to remove in the future if someone doesn't like your touch up work)?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Is the "clear paint" different than "clear coat" (i.e. easier to remove in the future if someone doesn't like your touch up work)?

Yes. Paint is still paint.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 32.00
$ 39.50
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 4.95
Apparel - Unisex
ULEKstore
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 199.95
Cabinet - Toppers
COINTAKER.COM
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rods Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside