Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MataHari_BA_girl3.jpg
MataHari_BA_girl2.jpg
IMG_1238.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG

#1 11 years ago

There's been a lot of talk about wax lately. As I understand it, the wax is supposed to fill micro cracks in the surface and that makes the surface shine. OK, that makes sense.

Ball swirl marks are caused by dirt and metal particles stuck in micro cracks. Has anyone ever started waxing a playfield with existing ball swirl marks? After repeated waxing and playing, would the wax displace the dirt and make the swirl marks disappear?

I have some magnified pictures of ball swirl marks taken before and after cleaning with a magic eraser. I guess it's time to look for some ball swirl marks and see what happens. If I do it, I'll post pics here.

8 months later
#2 10 years ago

How do you get those swirls out? I've tried many things and nothing seems to work

#3 10 years ago

Use magic eraser an 70% isopropyl alcohol. The 90% can remive the paint. Only buy the regular magic erasers. The tough ones are too abrasive. Remove the plastics, posts, etc. Cut the eraser into thirds. Dampen the eraser with the alcohol . Start by rubbing the magic eraser on the Playfield . I use circular motions. If the Playfield is worn, don't be too aggressive. You can remove the paint if you are not careful. Once you have scrubbed the Playfield, it will have a white film over it. You can polish it with novus 2, or just apply wax.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from kovalski3:

Once you have scrubbed the Playfield, it will have a white film over it. You can polish it with novus 2, or just apply wax.

Uhh, i would highly recommend against waxing over the abrasive white residue. all you'd be doing is letting all that grind into your PF as you play.

#5 10 years ago

If it's an oldschool PF, wipe 'er down with Naptha before ya wax...

#6 10 years ago

I think you should clearcoat if you use the magic eraser.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I think you should clearcoat if you use the magic eraser.

You beat me to it. This method is only good if you plan on clearcoating the playfield.

Otherwise, you will have to continue this method indefinitely.

#8 10 years ago

I used magic eraser on a dirty Mata Hari with ball swirls, then cleaned with Novus 2, then waxed. It has looked amazing ever since, no ball swirls have returned, and have not clear coated.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Juggernaut:

If it's an oldschool PF, wipe 'er down with Naptha before ya wax...

Isn't Naptha used to make mothballs? Just trying to see if its the same stuff I am thinking about.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

Isn't Naptha used to make mothballs? Just trying to see if its the same stuff I am thinking about.

Used to make lighter fluid, not sure about mothballs

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

I used magic eraser on a dirty Mata Hari with ball swirls, then cleaned with Novus 2, then waxed. It has looked amazing ever since, no ball swirls have returned, and have not clear coated.

I have no doubt that this is true, but I've done some careful examination of this whole process and I can tell you that wax doesn't fill in the cracks left over after the ME cleaning. After enough play the dirt and dust will begin to collect in those cracks. I don't know how much "enough" is. I know that enough coats of wax should eventually fill the cracks, but that would be more than ten, and maybe even dozens.

Here's the microscopic analysis I did:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magic-erasers-and-ball-swirl-marks

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

I know that enough coats of wax should eventually fill the cracks, but that would be more than ten, and maybe even dozens.

No.

Wax does not work that way.

Basically, anything after two or three layers of wax is a waste. Wax will *not* continue to build upon itself layer after layer. You get to the point where when you put another coat of wax on, you are merely removing (or moving around) the prior layer of wax.

If you put 1000 coats of wax on your PF, it will *not* be half an inch thick!

And wax does very little to fill swirls. If you want the swirls gone, you need to polish them out. Just like the paint on a car. Using ME to remove swirls is a form of polishing (abrasive).

#13 10 years ago

I tried the magic eraser with alcohol and it came off very very nicely! After that I put novus 2 on it twice and looks and plays waay better. Thanks guys so much for the input.

#14 10 years ago

I am a fan of concentrated Simple Green as the wetting agent for Magic Eraser.

Here is a before and after picture of a recently cleaned Nitro Ground Shaker.

Marcus

IMG_1227.JPGIMG_1227.JPG IMG_1238.JPGIMG_1238.JPG

#15 10 years ago

Simple Green is water based. Water on hygroscopic playfields scare the crap outta me. Now if it was alcohol based,,,,,,,,

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Simple Green is water based. Water on hygroscopic playfields scare the crap outta me. Now if it was alcohol based,,,,,,,,

Agreed. And the word "hygroscopic" probably scared the crap outta several other posters here.

#17 10 years ago

The things you learn from Vid..

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

I have no doubt that this is true, but I've done some careful examination of this whole process and I can tell you that wax doesn't fill in the cracks left over after the ME cleaning. After enough play the dirt and dust will begin to collect in those cracks. I don't know how much "enough" is. I know that enough coats of wax should eventually fill the cracks, but that would be more than ten, and maybe even dozens.

Here's the microscopic analysis I did:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magic-erasers-and-ball-swirl-marks

I read that thread before and it was super interesting you did some very through investigating. I am sure that the wax does not fill in the cracks, and I am sure over time that the dirt will come back. I will say that after I cleaned with ME and with average play I did not see any dirt return within a year so I think its worth the trouble if you only have to do it every few years or so. It made it look a hell of a lot better than it previously had thats for sure.

#19 10 years ago

Eh, I used Simple Green on my BOPP and my Card Trix. Worked great, way better than alcohol in my experience.

#20 10 years ago

I use 99% alcohol and no-name melamine pads. Then wax with carnuba. Has worked great for me many times.

MataHari_BA_girl2.jpgMataHari_BA_girl2.jpg MataHari_BA_girl3.jpgMataHari_BA_girl3.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
$ 10.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wax-and-ball-swirls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.