Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wheels.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 9 years ago

So all of you are only using wax as a periodic cleaner as well and skipping Novus 2 unless it's really dirty?

#25 9 years ago

Wax isn't a cleaner. If you read the label of most any wax, it will tell you to clean (the car) first. If you must wax, clean first. Novus 1 or 2. Stern recommends Novus 2.

I get that, but Vid (and maybe others; I don't remember) is saying not to use Novus 2 often as it's an abrasive. I'm not sure what I should use to clean before waxing if I shouldn't be using Novus 2.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

When a car wax says "wash car first", they are instructing you to rinse away grit and grime that could scratch your paint if it contaminated the wax application pad.
    Novus2 is an abrasive. A fine grit that wears away some of your playfield, to "sand down" the surface of the playfield to the depth of the deepest scratches.
    So Novus2 is not "cleaning" your playfield, it is grinding it down.
    =
    Think if every time you cleaned your wood floor, you sanded it clean with very fine sandpaper.
    It would certainly have the dirt removed from it's surface, but also it would not take too long until you sanded all the way through the clear finish to the wood below.
    So I'm willing to bet you don't sand your wood floors every time you clean them.
    You probably just vacuum to get any grit off and then wipe with a damp mop.
    -
    Your pin is the same idea.
    Vacuum up any dust or crud, wipe with a damp cloth, and wax for protection.
    You don't need any fancy chemicals.
    You don't need any fancy abrasives.
    You don't need any fancy rituals.

Makes sense. Thank you for your detailed explanation.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

The main objection to regular use of Novus 2 is the fact that it is a polish. All polishes are abrasive. Again: ALL POLISHES ARE ABRASIVE. That's how polish works.
    So you don't need a polish to clean a playfield. You need a polish only if you want to remove fine swirls and scratches.
    So to clean the playfield (remove dirt) you should use something that isn't abrasive (i.e., not a polish). Plenty of options, and I know people use Novus 1 for this purpose, but since it is designed for plastic, I don't. I use a cleaner that has polymers in it, which isn't abrasive, and it helps to maintain the integrity of your coat of wax:
    http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-clean-32.html
    This product can also be used on the plastics.
    You will never have to worry about using too much of this product. I wipe my playfield down with it pretty much any time that I have to remove the glass.

How long have you been using this, Rob? Do your playfields looks as clean to you using this compared to a Novus 2 cleaning?

#37 9 years ago

I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks for the recommendation.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wheels.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wax-after-novus-2?tu=wheels and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.