(Topic ID: 247788)

WavTrigger with pinball machine

By Bigkahuna707

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I am currently working on adding sounds to a custom themed pinball machine and I have purchased a WavTrigger. Is there anyway to use the switches on the pinball machine to activate the triggers? Can I wire them directly to the wavTrigger or do I need an Arduino to drive it?

#2 5 years ago

If you're trying to read switches from a switch-matrix; don't think it's gonna work.
    Best to specify what kind of pin you're working on ( EM, SS, DMD era …)

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMario:

If you're trying to read switches from a switch-matrix; don't think it's gonna work.
    Best to specify what kind of pin you're working on ( EM, SS, DMD era …)

It is a solid state pinball machine. It is a high speed pinball machine that I am converting. I was thinking that I could just wire straight onto the existing switches and roll overs for the pinball machine to the wav trigger, but am not sure if that would actually work.

#4 5 years ago

Depends how the waveTrigger switches are wired? I would not suggest connecting directly to the switch matrix as could upset / blow driver chips

The waveTrigger is most likely connected directly to the GPIO with one end either grounded or at 3.3v with the GPIO held high/low with a resistor and gets pulled down when the switch shorts.

The switch matrix works completely differently you cant mix the two that I am aware of.

#5 5 years ago

You could have a look at raspisound or tilt!audio as it is called nowadays. Depends ofcourse on what type of pinball you are looking at. Or a Pinsound.

#6 5 years ago

Can I possibly set it up the way this guy does it in his video?

He essentially adds another leaf switch segment to one of the leaf switches already in the pin, solders the wav trigger wires to the new leaf switch and then puts fish paper in between the existing switches and the new switch.

Sorry if that was a confusing description lol

#7 5 years ago

I followed the videos technique and here is a video of me testing it out.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.