Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MMuller
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Have a lead for one for 950.00...is it worth it? I've read some bad reviews...anyone with first hand knowledge? TIA
k.

#2 11 years ago

As with all such questions you are going to get a variety of opinions and the only one that matters is yours. To try to help answer the question, have you played any other late model Gottliebs? They have a different feel to me than Stern, Williams, Bally, Data East, etc. Some people love that feel and some people hate it, if you aren't sure which camp you're in I strongly suggest finding a late model Gottlieb and putting a few bucks into it. It isn't something that requires a lot of playtime to figure out, you'll know within a few games if it's something you'll like or not.

#3 11 years ago

I owned one recently. The system 3 is reliable but then it comes down to how well it was maintained. See if there is any wear around the dive hole and on the inserts, specially the 9 right in the middle. They usually wear around the edges. oh and I LOVE the flipper feel of a gottlieb. They are strong and quick, unlike So many Williams that feel floppy and slow.

So as far as gameplay... So first playing it, you think it's pretty simple. You can get a skill shot for 2 ball multiball and sink the deez isn't too hard to acquire. But it actually has a pretty deep rule set. Like diving for treasure, getting super jackpot or super score, fight the atoll, berserker. It even has a harpoon shot like mm's catapult. Honestly I think the theme kills it for most. If you get over the theme and really read the rules, 90% of the people would like it. I led'd mine out and brought it to work. People liked it and when I took some coworkers to try no fear and some other games, they all thought ww was more fun.

At 950, it's a good price for a dmd, just check how bad the wear is.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Honestly I think the theme kills it for most.

This. A lot of people that hated the movie don't give the game any love either. Also some people that have reviewed the game didn't play it set on Tournament Mode, so it keeps giving you free balls and is WAY TO EASY. That being said, definitely put it in Tournament Mode via the menus so it's more challenging. The 4-ball DEEZ multiball where the balls dump out of the ship at the same time is unique. Scoring is a little crazy.. all the score values are crazy high so games over 300 million are pretty common, but not a big deal there.

Also as millerjl mentioned, you're going to have to play a machine to figure out if YOU like it. I've owned a lot of games that have been reviewed badly and found out they really weren't all that bad and some actually surprisingly fun. So any more, I rely upon my own impression of the game.

$950's a fair price if it's fully working & in decent shape.

#5 11 years ago

I really like the main tune on this one, nice looking game too. Gameplay seems a bit limited compared to other Gottliebs of the time.

#6 11 years ago

Good price, not my cup of tea but each their own

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/waterworld-opinion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.