P1120378.JPG
P1120388.JPG
P1120440.JPG
P1120467.JPG
WaterWorldDivePro2 (1).jpg
waterworld-144.jpg
waterworlddivepro2.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Anyone else having problems getting the ball in the dive hole after installing a Cliffy? I've tried all the tips from cliffy: dead foam, change the angle of the deflector plate, raise the plate. Still bounces off the edge instead of going in. Worse from the right flipper than the left. I took it off for a while and it's not a problem getting it in.
I have an NOS PF that I had CC'd, and the CC is chipping, that's when I decided to put it back on.
Any ideas?
thanks
izzy

#2 8 years ago

I know the cliffy isn't thick, but the CC and cliffy on top of that raises it up some from "factory". Any way to adjust the back plate of the scoop the ball hits?

#3 8 years ago

Yes. I told him about it but he said that no one else has this issue. It definitely bricks A LOT more after installing the cliffy. I even broke mine after a few dozen games, the tab that goes under the up kicker bracket snapped off. I was able to bend it down but it still bricked like crazy.

I always wondered if there wasnt a way to contour them more so its not such a hard edge. All holes have a bevel to them that helps the ball go in. Cliffys make that edge sharp.

On a related note, this isnt meant to bash him. I have his protectors on other machines and they work fine. This is the only machine (WW) I had issues with a cliffy...

#4 8 years ago

The hole with the cliffy looks big enough for sure, but I still think the back plate may be able to be bent up some to accept the ball easier.

stock
waterworld-144.jpgwaterworld-144.jpg

w/ cliffy
waterworlddivepro2.jpgwaterworlddivepro2.jpg

#5 8 years ago

I have the same problem with mine as well. Very hard to hit the dive hole with a cliffy on. My cliffy is getting all bent and is starting to tear in the corners. Had the problem the day I put the cliffy on. I think if the cliffy had a contoured inside edge it would make it better. Still love my cliffy though just makes it a though shot.

#6 8 years ago

I tried tilting the back plate and raising it. Didn't want to risk bending the plate.
And all my other cliffy products work great.

#7 8 years ago

Hmmm what if you put some thin washers in as spacers to raise the plate up without bending?

#8 8 years ago

Did that.
thanks

#9 8 years ago

You got washers in, still not working?

#10 8 years ago

took them out when it didn't work. Got frustrated, took the cliffy out, now CC is chipped. Put the cliffy back in, regular install.

#11 8 years ago

sorry it's not working for you guys. I have no way to make 6 beveled bends in the tabs to match the scoop routing. It's reflecting the ball energy back which makes it a harder shot. Bare wood absorbs the energy, metal does not. I could eliminate the tabs going down into the hole but then I would have to use tape to hold it down and it would likely warp like a potato chip in short order. I'm open to ideas guys.

#12 8 years ago

Can you remove the tabs from the back 2-3 sides? Then you'd have the protection on the front and sides, but when the ball hits in the rear of the hole it may have less bounce energy? also the screws holding it down back there, may keep it down from warping.

#13 8 years ago

found cliffy's link to the picture to get a better view.

WaterWorldDivePro2 (1).jpgWaterWorldDivePro2 (1).jpg
#14 8 years ago

In general I've seen that cliffy-protected scoops are much harder to shoot reliably than the worn-down wood around the scoop they're replacing. The TAF chair on location near me is a pain and a half with a protector on it, particularly when compared to the worn-down chipped hole it used to be.

#15 8 years ago

This thread is making me miss my waterworld...

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

This thread is making me miss my Waterworld...

freaking tell me about it...I want one so bad, but a nice example... I need to play one though, maybe it isn't as good as my memory? but I think it is.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

In general I've seen that cliffy-protected scoops are much harder to shoot reliably than the worn-down wood around the scoop they're replacing. The TAF chair on location near me is a pain and a half with a protector on it, particularly when compared to the worn-down chipped hole it used to be.

well it covers slightly the hole some, and makes it a 90 degree angle drop in. idk what else you can expect. The mantis style can work, but you still can wear the wood. It is a hand off. My tron has the cliffy and a cut in it to allow balls to drop in. Works fine, I'd rather protect then have it with worn wood.

I think if manipulated correctly it can work pretty well.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

freaking tell me about it...I want one so bad, but a nice example... I need to play one though, maybe it isn't as good as my memory? but I think it is.

Its not, but its fun none the less. To fill the deez with 4 balls and have them dump for the multiball is a lot of fun. Its just not a very deep pin.

#19 8 years ago

idk man. I kept finding new modes right before I sold it. I think it was a tad deeper than I thought. It for sure is hard to get all the modes lit in the middle of the pf. I do find it fun, and you can get a 2 ball startup multiball.

#20 8 years ago

YEah I had one for a year and I never got all the way through the game. Certainly never finished the map or uncovered all of the modes.

As far as the Dive Hole...I never bothered with a protector. My game had a little over the flippers (like most gottliebs of that era) and I figured it wasn't gonna win any beauty contests so why bother. Hard to imagine that hole being difficult as it's huge.

Cliffy's stuff is great but I don't use them unless I absolutely need to (like my AFM). I prefer the holes the sizes they came from at the factory.

#21 8 years ago

I can easily get mine back too, lol. I may have to, but then I would need to get rid of SF2...and the wife would lose her mind about that.

#22 8 years ago

I can't believe I sold mine...it had a little dive hole wear but that was it :/ I keep seeing them with wear above the flippers.....below the mylar piece..

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I can't believe I sold mine...it had a little dive hole wear but that was it :/ I keep seeing them with wear above the flippers.....below the mylar piece..

Here is one I picked up about 4 months ago and I love it. Put the cliffy on it to cover the wear. This machine was only on route maybe 1 year and then went to where I picked it up from for the last 18-19 years or so. I went for it and took the mylar off and did not loose any of the play field paint. Polished everything fixed a few things led's cliffy to cover the wear and it is one nice looking pin and plays fast. Also did the recomended mods for lighting to make it brighter (behind the wave ramp and on the right side 7 new sockets total wired in to look factory).

P1120467.JPGP1120467.JPG P1120440.JPGP1120440.JPG P1120388.JPGP1120388.JPG P1120378.JPGP1120378.JPG P1120398.JPGP1120398.JPG
#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Kawasakiltd:

Here is one I picked up about 4 months ago and I love it. Put the cliffy on it to cover the wear. This machine was only on route maybe 1 year and then went to where I picked it up from for the last 18-19 years or so. I went for it and took the mylar off and did not loose any of the play field paint. Polished everything fixed a few things led's cliffy to cover the wear and it is one nice looking pin and plays fast. Also did the recomended mods for lighting to make it brighter (behind the wave ramp and on the right side 7 new sockets total wired in to look factory).

P1120467.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
P1120440.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
P1120388.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
P1120378.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
P1120398.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Very nice!!! IT really looks good with leds, and those inserts pop! I think the tnt amusements video they added lights to the blue wave as well.

#25 8 years ago

That is were I got the info on where to put the extra lights to brighten it up.

#26 8 years ago

one more pic in the dark. I also have a rock undercab flash kit on it.

P1120450.JPGP1120450.JPG
#27 8 years ago

Izzy,

What about enlongating the holes in the plate so it can be moved back just a hair?

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Izzy,
What about enlongating the holes in the plate so it can be moved back just a hair?

that's worth a try.
thanks

#29 8 years ago

Just don't mess it up that part is no longer available.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from Kawasakiltd:

Just don't mess it up that part is no longer available.

which part? The cliffy should still be available.

#31 8 years ago

Sorry thought you were talking about the angled play field piece.

#32 8 years ago

When he said plate instead of cliffy I assumed he was talking about the angled play field deflector .

#33 8 years ago

Ah. Maybe he did mean the angled stock piece.

#34 8 years ago

Yeah, the angled ball snubber.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

sorry it's not working for you guys. I have no way to make 6 beveled bends in the tabs to match the scoop routing. It's reflecting the ball energy back which makes it a harder shot. Bare wood absorbs the energy, metal does not. I could eliminate the tabs going down into the hole but then I would have to use tape to hold it down and it would likely warp like a potato chip in short order. I'm open to ideas guys.

Cliffy,

I have been looking at mine for a few days now and have come to the conclusion that the ball is not making the shot because my tabs are bent outward (ball hits those acts like a spring) from being hit on the edge so many times. My idea will cost more but maybe it will work. What if you where to keep the top one the same and built one for the underside of the play field kind of like the top one with the tabs. The thought would be install the top one first then install the one under the play field so the tabs go over the tabs of the top one and hold them back. Tabs on the underside should not bend out ward because the edge never would get hit by the ball. Just an idea. Still like my cliffy would rather see that then my wear.

#36 8 years ago

I'm selling my waterworld. Listed in the market now.

2 months later
#37 8 years ago

Finally got around to trying Brian's idea of elongating the holes on the angled ball snubber. It helped. Not sure if as good as without the Cliffy, but a (w)hole lot better than before.
thanks

#38 8 years ago

I ended up taking the cliffy off and now can hit the dive hole 100% better. Love the cliffy but for this app and game play they do not mix well.

1 week later
#39 8 years ago

I've sent a couple out with the rearmost tab removed per northvibes suggestion. Crossing fingers that it helps get that ball to dive a bit better.

#40 8 years ago

Any feedback yet on the new style? The changes I made to the snubber helped a bit, but it could be better.
thanks
izzy

4 months later
#41 8 years ago

Anyone have any source to purchase one of these? I just started a want to buy ad as im trying to get one for a buddy for a Christmas present, its his first pin and is starting to wear on the dive hole. Thanks for any leads!

edit: Cliffy is going to make me one

#42 8 years ago

Contact Cliffy (see above posts). He may still have some.
good luck

#43 8 years ago

I actually just got another Waterworld and it came with a cliffy in the coin box. I need to shop the game and put it in still.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I actually just got another Waterworld and it came with a cliffy in the coin box. I need to shop the game and put it in still.

Yeah, I put the cliffy(should be the new version) in there for you.....but I think I forgot the new plunger. I found it on my bench the other day.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Yeah, I put the cliffy(should be the new version) in there for you.....but I think I forgot the new plunger. I found it on my bench the other day.

No worries! Funny thing is...i just found my first waterworld plunger hahha! I'll throw that in.

Just picked up the game a few weeks ago from Chris. Great looking game! Thank you!

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

No worries! Funny thing is...i just found my first Waterworld plunger hahha! I'll throw that in.
Just picked up the game a few weeks ago from Chris. Great looking game! Thank you!

I knew you would be happy with it. Have fun with it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bremerton, WA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/waterworld-dive-holecliffy-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.