Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Sea_Wolf
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

38D4772E-C8E0-4540-8D75-1CA66E0FBE8F (resized).jpeg
    BB749D8F-5A64-4D24-8C74-BBCAA118B194 (resized).jpeg
    6C8AE7F6-E25C-4619-8D34-D6CDFAB6BD38 (resized).jpeg
    38131775-A662-4603-9D76-13AF9B3B5C43 (resized).jpeg
    5BEFE867-44A2-4914-BEA3-F857EB7639A8 (resized).jpeg
    2FA5906F-75A3-4096-AD43-BB3CE4ADED3B (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Thanks to a suggestion from Silverstreak02 I finally was able to get numbers on the pool balls on my Sure Shot that I acquired in early March. I didn’t even know what a waterslide decal was lol.

I was worried that I’d never get the inserts to look right but the waterslide decals were the answer once I found the correct font (which wasn’t that easy). The former owner replaced 30 of the 32 inserts with blanks.

After getting the Bonus Unit fixed, touching up the playfield and the inserts right I’m ready to clear coat and enjoy this game.

38131775-A662-4603-9D76-13AF9B3B5C43 (resized).jpeg38131775-A662-4603-9D76-13AF9B3B5C43 (resized).jpeg5BEFE867-44A2-4914-BEA3-F857EB7639A8 (resized).jpeg5BEFE867-44A2-4914-BEA3-F857EB7639A8 (resized).jpeg
    #2 1 year ago

I'd like to archive the file you used to make the decals. PM me if you can share the file. I'll post it to my site at https://fantasticpinball.free.resourcespace.com/

Fantastic

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from FantasticPinball:

I'd like to archive the file you used to make the decals. PM me if you can share the file. I'll post it to my site at https://fantasticpinball.free.resourcespace.com/
    Fantastic

Can anyone use those files?

Do you need an account to access?

rd

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from FantasticPinball:

Fantastic

I’d be glad to share the file but I’m not sure it would show correctly. It’s a Microsoft Word file but when I send it to someone, the fonts are different. Maybe it would print correctly?

I’m not great at this stuff but I’ll be glad to direct anyone to the program/font size etc that I used for the print out.

#5 1 year ago

I need give this a shot too one day soon. Looks good!

#6 1 year ago

@Sea_Wolf: What is the name of the font you used?

#7 1 year ago

Convert to a pdf and it’s locked for others.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from paulace:

Sea_Wolf: What is the name of the font you used?

I will look it up and let you know. It took forever to find the right one but I’ll remember the name when I see it.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

I will definitely try that today. I also have an extra printout on the waterslide paper. I had to spray a thin coat of oil based polyurethane on the numbers because the ink on my printer is water soluble. Not exactly what you want for waterslide decals so I had the seal them in.

I guess I could also send someone this if they needed it.

6C8AE7F6-E25C-4619-8D34-D6CDFAB6BD38 (resized).jpeg6C8AE7F6-E25C-4619-8D34-D6CDFAB6BD38 (resized).jpegBB749D8F-5A64-4D24-8C74-BBCAA118B194 (resized).jpegBB749D8F-5A64-4D24-8C74-BBCAA118B194 (resized).jpeg
    #10 1 year ago
    Quoted from paulace:

Sea_Wolf: What is the name of the font you used?

Here’s the font I used. HGGothicE and the font size I settled on Microsoft Word was 59 I believe.

Just double check the exact font because there is one called HSGothicE and others like it that are not it.
    38D4772E-C8E0-4540-8D75-1CA66E0FBE8F (resized).jpeg38D4772E-C8E0-4540-8D75-1CA66E0FBE8F (resized).jpeg

#11 1 year ago

Thanks @Sea_Wolf. Gottlieb used a bunch of fonts in different places over the years. I think some were hand-drawn, so it's hard to find a match for them. It would be really nice if a repository were started with fonts for various pinball machines, like I think FantasticPinball is trying to do.

I've used Franklin Gothic fonts at time, and there's a font called "Gottlieb" that's very similar to their 70's score reel numbers. Sometimes Helvitica or Futura...

There have been a few threads on here about Gottlieb fonts.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from paulace:

Thanks Sea_Wolf. Gottlieb used a bunch of fonts in different places over the years. I think some were hand-drawn, so it's hard to find a match for them. It would be really nice if a repository were started with fonts for various pinball machines, like I think FantasticPinball is trying to do.
    I've used Franklin Gothic fonts at time, and there's a font called "Gottlieb" that's very similar to their 70's score reel numbers. Sometimes Helvitica or Futura...
    There have been a few threads on here about Gottlieb fonts.

Your welcome. That’s pretty interesting info. That font was as close to the original inserts as I could find. If you look at the pictures you can see how well that font matches up to the original, which the 3 Ball and 5 Ball at the very top are. They were the only 2 that weren’t replaced by the former owner.

#13 1 year ago

Perhaps Peter at Inkochito would be prepared to host the numbers and assure availability?

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Perhaps Peter at Inkochito would be prepared to host the numbers and assure availability?

Good idea Wayne. I’ll reach out to him this weekend.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Not always the case. The font that it calls for will be locked, but it won't automatically add the font to the file. The best way to do it is to type it up in a vector graphics program(CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator, etc.) and while using the proper font, make it the exact size needed, with the proper kerning and spacing, and then convert the text to outlines(or curves, depending on what your program calls it). This will make it an actual vector drawing that will stay 100% true to the size the original artist made it. The only variances to size for any end user will be due to their printer settings(i.e. whether it's printing at 100% scale, or fit to page, or scale to page, or whatever, they all affect final sizing and will need to be attended to by said end user).

#16 1 year ago

My experiences of tweaking fonts was done with Inkscape and also the paid-for 'designer' software version for my Cameo cutter; I found the latter software to work the best.
    I'm finding that many restoration jobs using black or a particular close enough colour, etc work better with vinyl against water slides.
    In my experience anyway, sometimes the black inks would break up or crack once in the water bath, despite being pre-sealed with a lacquer. Maybe a bad ink batch from the manufacturer though I always buy genuine inks so that shouldn't really occur.

#17 1 year ago

A quick thanks for this, I have to replace a “3” and kept putting it off. This machine in particular, it seems, the inserts fall out over time and go missing.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Not always the case. The font that it calls for will be locked, but it won't automatically add the font to the file. The best way to do it is to type it up in a vector graphics program(CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator, etc.) and while using the proper font, make it the exact size needed, with the proper kerning and spacing, and then convert the text to outlines(or curves, depending on what your program calls it). This will make it an actual vector drawing that will stay 100% true to the size the original artist made it. The only variances to size for any end user will be due to their printer settings(i.e. whether it's printing at 100% scale, or fit to page, or scale to page, or whatever, they all affect final sizing and will need to be attended to by said end user).

Simply put if you want to keep a printable copy word or excel files with downloaded fonts we convert to a PDF and it will save what is showing on the screen. I have emailed word copied pdf’s with downloaded fonts for labels to pinheads here on Pinside for years. A native word file transferred from usb or sent by email with downloaded fonts will not save for others that receive it and settings on different pc’s can further ‘reorganize’ the layout.

I agree with you on using the professional (read very expensive for hobbyists) software allows more control and flexibility. I would use illustrator for what the op was making as I have it.

But if you have Microsoft products, a basic Adobe package and access to the web you can do some really good work and can save exactly as PDF’s.

Have fun

#19 1 year ago

I haven't tried it for something like this, but couldn't you print to 'pdf'?

#20 1 year ago

I have the file converted to PDF on my phone but not sure how to share with Pinsiders. The “Upload Files” option below is not lit. Is that because I don’t have the Heart+ logo next to my handle?

I’d be glad to share it if anyone else wants it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/waterslide-decals-for-inserts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.