4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by lastlight
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6603968925_288554c78c_c (resized).jpg
    6603968501_e13835d728_c (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Looking to add some nicer flooring in our basement game room. We had pergo down there a long time ago, but a flood destroyed much of it, and we quickly learned that the subfloor we had (Delta-FL) was not ideal should we get water.

We redid the flooring with open decktiles from RaceDeck flooring. It is a great product, completely waterproof, and will drain should water happen again.

We want to install the laminate over the deck tiles currently on the floor. With the possibility (although somewhat remote) that water COULD be an issue again, are there any laminate flooring options that are 100% waterproof and not just spill proof?

Just wondering what others have used in their potentially wet basement ares. We want it to feel more like a room of the house, and it did when we had the pergo in there.

Pics of current flooring for reference.

Thanks in advance!
    Chris
    6603968501_e13835d728_c (resized).jpg6603968501_e13835d728_c (resized).jpg6603968925_288554c78c_c (resized).jpg6603968925_288554c78c_c (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I used this in my basement, installed it right on concrete as it doesnt need a vapor barrier, etc. Love it. Little pricey per sq-ft, but I did it myself (super easy) and wanted something both waterproof, and no need for vapor barrier. Ive had water pooled on a small section by the door, cleaned it up, let it air out, 0 issues.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LifeProof-Choice-Oak-8-7-in-x-47-6-in-Luxury-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-20-06-sq-ft-case-I966104L/300461637

#3 4 years ago

The waterproof products by the Big Box stores as mentioned above, should do the trick.
    If you wish to test a piece, like I did, I put in a pail of water for a couple weeks, to make sure no layers
    separated.
    Things to care about include:
    Is it Virgin Plastic, or recycled....including Chinese Made
    How thick at what is the finish layer made of.
    The connection mech.

Most of these have been well addressed in the last year or so, but older stock does exist.
    Make sure when you start, you see that the planks lock together without a gap.
    A micro bevel Edge is recommended.

Shaw products in the US, are very well made with garnet coating, I believe and Virgin PVC.

I used Bestlaminate.com, they did negotiate over the phone, free delivery, and no tax, when I bought last year. At that time, I went with a Product from Belgium. Berry-Alloc. It had more Patterns, A better Backing and print, and an easier locking mechanism. That is not as needed today.

I newer product on the scene, maybe not as much for your need, is magnetic vinyl flooring.
    Just pretty cool how it works, and should drop in price one day.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

I used this in my basement, installed it right on concrete as it doesnt need a vapor barrier, etc. Love it. Little pricey per sq-ft, but I did it myself (super easy) and wanted something both waterproof, and no need for vapor barrier. Ive had water pooled on a small section by the door, cleaned it up, let it air out, 0 issues.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/LifeProof-Choice-Oak-8-7-in-x-47-6-in-Luxury-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-20-06-sq-ft-case-I966104L/300461637

I have some of this Life Proof product in a section of my basement that flooded last year and can attest to no issues. Real easy to work with as mentioned, and they sell all types of trim pieces.

If you have any divots or cracks in the floor patch it and then put this down. I rented a big floor roller to really go over the joints and would recommend that you consider doing that as well.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

Thank you. I may get a sample of this to test. They seem to have many different color options as well. I am not opposed to paying a bit more if the quality is there.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The waterproof products by the Big Box stores as mentioned above, should do the trick.
    If you wish to test a piece, like I did, I put in a pail of water for a couple weeks, to make sure no layers
    separated.
    Things to care about include:
    Is it Virgin Plastic, or recycled....including Chinese Made
    How thick at what is the finish layer made of.
    The connection mech.
    Most of these have been well addressed in the last year or so, but older stock does exist.
    Make sure when you start, you see that the planks lock together without a gap.
    A micro bevel Edge is recommended.
    Shaw products in the US, are very well made with garnet coating, I believe and Virgin PVC.
    I used Bestlaminate.com, they did negotiate over the phone, free delivery, and no tax, when I bought last year. At that time, I went with a Product from Belgium. Berry-Alloc. It had more Patterns, A better Backing and print, and an easier locking mechanism. That is not as needed today.
    I newer product on the scene, maybe not as much for your need, is magnetic vinyl flooring.
    Just pretty cool how it works, and should drop in price one day.

Wow, great information, thank you! I would certainly prefer ti purchase something made in the USA (as I try to do when possible) and will certainly check out that site you mentioned.

Quoted from DBLM:

I have some of this Life Proof product in a section of my basement that flooded last year and can attest to no issues. Real easy to work with as mentioned, and they sell all types of trim pieces.
    If you have any divots or cracks in the floor patch it and then put this down. I rented a big floor roller to really go over the joints and would recommend that you consider doing that as well.

Thanks for the second on the recommendation. the floor is really flat so that shouldn't be an issue.

Chris

3 weeks later
    #6 4 years ago

I used the Allure Ultra vinyl planks on my main floor and it still looks as good as the day I installed it. Roughly 2 years ago now. It's been fairly scratch resistant and the scratches we have made seem to get lost over time. I'm not saying the planks self-heal but I usually can't even find/notice scratches that I know we made.

I have a large aquarium on it as well and have spilled a lot of water on this flooring. It has no effect on it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/waterproof-laminate-flooring-options and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.