4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by woody24
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200420_181821 (resized).jpg
    20200420_182146 (resized).jpg
    20200420_182230 (resized).jpg
    20200420_182205 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Ive been trying to fix my old water softener. I'd rather fix it than replace it right now. It's been giving me an E-1 code before. I've replaced the switch and seemed to work for a few weeks. Then today it gave me another E-1 error. I jimmed some wires around and it started working again. But then during the regen cycle, it gave me an E-3. All have to do with electronics.

I was planning on replacing the capacitors, but I don't have 1 to 1 replacements. Do any of these from the kit I have work with the ones installed?

Anyone have any suggestions on what else to try? Anything else on the board need looking at? I did look for cold solder joints, but do not see any.

The water softener is a Kenmore 625.3483500. Link to the manual if anyone would care to check out: https://c.searspartsdirect.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0807198.pdf

20200420_181821 (resized).jpg20200420_181821 (resized).jpg20200420_182146 (resized).jpg20200420_182146 (resized).jpg20200420_182205 (resized).jpg20200420_182205 (resized).jpg20200420_182230 (resized).jpg20200420_182230 (resized).jpg

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Definitely going to follow this thread as I'm having some issues with mine. Looks like a supercap in there?
    My issues are with the recharge however my tank is over 15 years old so I have different problems than you likely do.

Just updated. Mines about 20-25 years I think. But it's actually been disconnected ever since I got the house 10 years ago. Just recently decided to use it, as I need to stop all the hard water issues.

#4 4 years ago

I've noticed that when it loses power, it reset all the settings, which does make me believe that it is the capacitors as theirs no button battery on it. Manual said it should be able to hold settings for up to 6 hours.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

That problem is going to be related to your super cap and not related to your other "error" issue. How long have you had the thing plugged in recently? On the equipment I work on for a living we have super caps. Sometimes being powered on for some time can regenerate those caps but with age there isn't much you can do about that. This type of cap won't be found in your stash. The super cap is kind of like a battery except more short term.....like up to 6 hours

It's been plugged in for probably 2 months at this point. Power flashed off for a second last week and lost the settings.

Guessing the other cap has dried up, and is what's giving me errors?

#8 4 years ago

So after playing with it more last night, I think I've figured out it's the motor. All I did one time was tap the top of it with a screwdriver, and it started again. I went ahead and ordered a new one. Wasn't thrilled about paying $60 for one, but I'd rather pay that than $400+ for a new one right now, if that's all the issue is.

And while I was at it, I went ahead and ordered new caps for it. Hopefully solve that saving data issue at least.

Was also kinda curious what your issue is. I've had multiple issues with mine, and every time, I think that's the last one. The first issue was the Venturi valve. I took it apart, and found the grommet was completely disintegrated and one part completely missing. Bought a replacement, and it finally started doing to the brine wash. Before the tank would just fill with water, but never actually do a rense.

Also learned that there are a few things that you can do to clean the resin. Guess over time it can get coated with iron and other things that the brine wash cannot fully wash away.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider woody24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/water-softener-repair?tu=woody24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.