• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'm tackling my first cabinet restoration, a JM. I read about Robert Winter's approach and I liked it a lot...except for the cure time for oil-based poly. I'm hosting a tournament on Saturday, and I want to have this beast back together. So I used water-based sealer and poly. Here are all the steps...it was still a 4-day job:

1. Stripped the cab of everything but the ground braid
2. Sanded off the artwork with 80 grit and a Bosch sander
3. Used Bondo to make corners perfect and fill in divots
4. Sanded with 150 grit
5. Wiped down cab with a damp rag, let dry
6. Sanded with 220 grit
7. Brushed on Sanding Sealer, let dry for an hour
8. Sanded with 220 again
9. Brushed on Varathane triple-thick poly
10. Sanded with 220 again

The cab feels really smooth now. Am I ready to install decals? Or did I make a mistake going with water-based poly?

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

I have not refinished a cabinet but I've finished plenty of wood. I have no idea why water based poly is frowned upon around here. It seems like a better choice to me. It doesn't yellow like oil poly. It stays clear. In fact its clarity is why some woodworkers don't like it. It doesn't have that amber hue that adds "body" to natural wood. It's durable, not as tough as oil poly but not as brittle either, so it won't chip or crack ad easily, but may scratch a little more.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

.... I have no idea why water based poly is frowned upon around here. It seems like a better choice to me. It doesn't yellow like oil poly. It stays clear. In fact its clarity is why some woodworkers don't like it. It doesn't have that amber hue that adds "body" to natural wood. It's durable, not as tough as oil poly but not as brittle either, so it won't chip or crack ad easily, but may scratch a little more.

I agree totally from my experiences. I use water based poly on all outside trim and have had no issues to date. I use similar product to what is shown, they are fast to dry and easy to clean up after.

1 week later
#4 8 years ago

Can you post a link to Robert Winters approach?

Thanks!!

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from mtmellum:

Can you post a link to Robert Winters approach?
Thanks!!

Here's a good video on the technique:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/install-decals-dry-video-this-is-how-i-do-them#post-2394661

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 22.50
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.50
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/water-based-poly-for-cab-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.