(Topic ID: 208864)

Watching People Play

By timab2000

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I have been watching some video on youtube, and other sites, and I am amazed at how differently people play pinball.

Now this may ruffle some feathers, and I do not mean to offend anyone, so bear with me.

I can remember when I started to play back when I was a kid, and anytime the ball would come close to the flipper I would push both flipper buttons at the same time. My wife plays like this and it drives me nuts. She's not real good but at least she is having fun, and I get a kick out of watching her and playing against her. (and yes, she has beat me a few times) Reminds me of how I was when I was young, not very coordinated.

So fast forward to now....I watch and I see a lot folks, whenever the ball hits the sling shot, the hit that flipper even if the ball is nowhere close to the flipper. So back and forth they go with each flipper in time with the slingshots. Maybe it's a nervous twitch or something, or maybe there is a strategy to this. I don't know. But for some strange reason I get a laugh out of it.

I have never seen a pinball tournament and have just been getting back into the hobby, so I guess I have never seen a really good player play. I know some people trap the ball with the flipper to make a shot and that kind of thing, but to constantly go back and forth with the flippers, seem like a lot of extra wear on the coils.

Any thoughts????

#2 6 years ago

I'm newer to the hobby and I have actually been trying to break myself of the habit. I think it's more of a learning to control the ball thing for me. I have two machines. One that plays really fast and one that's slower. I don't do it on the slower machine, but I do on the faster one. I think it's more reactionary impuse than anything.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

but to constantly go back and forth with the flippers, seem like a lot of extra wear on the coils.

I wouldn't worry about that. The coils don't actually wear out. The plunger and coil stop are the parts that wear down, but it takes several thousand plunges to do anything significant.

#4 6 years ago

As someone who is teaching his future wife how to play....and she actually LIKES playing pinball.....Let her go at her own pace. No matter how badly you want to see her excel, let her struggle. Let her see what doing the double flip does. Let her want to get better. You rush it too fast, and you will burn her out. Trust me on this. I love, love, love watching my future better half play and enjoy pinball. She loves Attack from Mars, and now she's getting into CFTBL. She wants GOT Pro home this year. It's so awesome.

Be patient. If she asks you to show her how to get better...then...You help. Do not interfere until then. Let her learn and struggle. You try to show her too much too fast, she will feel smothered and pressured to do well quickly, and that won't end well.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I can remember when I started to play back when I was a kid, and anytime the ball would come close to the flipper I would push both flipper buttons at the same time. My wife plays like this and it drives me nuts.

Chimp Flipping!

#6 6 years ago

I watch good people play to try to pick up the things that they do, to become a better player myself. It's interesting to see both "pro" level players and casuals. You never know when you can pick up something from someone that you consider "worse" than yourself play.

As far as the slingshot flipper thing goes, I do it occasionally. It's probably because I'm always trying to react to the ball when it shoots back and forth rapidly, so I don't get caught "with my pants down" as they say. None-the-less, chimp flipping is a hard habit for new players to break. I had to remind my wife regularly for the first couple months of owning to not double flip. She's learning how to dead flip and trap, so there's definitely progression and her scores slowly climb and climb the more she plays. She can live catch WAY better than I can, and I consider myself a better player than her.

#7 6 years ago

I find it very funny that there are actual terms for this. Chimp Flipping that's too funny!!

Yeah I am very lucky to have a wife that let's puts up with my hobbies. And this is one she actually likes, so that make it much better.

Is there a dictionary of pinball terms or slang out there?

#8 6 years ago

I do the same thing. I flip the flippers when it’s bouncing on the slings. I’m not exactly sure why I do it.

#9 6 years ago

The faster the game, the more I'm flipping.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I find it very funny that there are actual terms for this. Chimp Flipping that's too funny!!
    Yeah I am very lucky to have a wife that let's puts up with my hobbies. And this is one she actually likes, so that make it much better.
    Is there a dictionary of pinball terms or slang out there?

Courtesy of Fun with Bonus' Steve Bowden

https://funwithbonus.com/category/dictionary-pinball/

#11 6 years ago

I just checked out the link. Lots of funny terms that I had no idea existed. Thanks for the link!!

#12 6 years ago

I know its frowned upon and say what you will about double flipping, but its saved my butt from center drains more times than I care to admit...

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

I know its frowned upon and say what you will about double flipping, but its saved my butt from center drains more times than I care to admit...

Double flipping does absolutely nothing to save you from center drains that single flipping would not also achieve.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Double flipping does absolutely nothing to save you from center drains that single flipping would not also achieve.

Unless you have a hard time tracking the minute difference in distance between the left or right flipper. It will absolutely save a center drain.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I watch and I see a lot folks, whenever the ball hits the sling shot, the hit that flipper even if the ball is nowhere close to the flipper. So back and forth they go with each flipper in time with the slingshots. Maybe it's a nervous twitch or something, or maybe there is a strategy to this. I don't know. But for some strange reason I get a laugh out of it.

If I am playing on a game that has insensitive sling switches, I'll often put a flipper up when the ball approaches that sling, preparing for the sling to NOT fire and catching a dead drop.

Usually depends on the angle the ball is approaching the sling. Perpendicular? Plan on the sling firing. Shallow angle? Put up the flipper and expect a drop...

Later,
    EV

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

If I am playing on a game that has insensitive sling switches, I'll often put a flipper up when the ball approaches that sling, preparing for the sling to NOT fire and catching a dead drop.
    Usually depends on the angle the ball is approaching the sling. Perpendicular? Plan on the sling firing. Shallow angle? Put up the flipper and expect a drop...
    Later,
    EV

Nailed it. It's a defensive move to protect an unexpected careen into the centre drain.

#17 6 years ago

These last two posts are it. Just because the ball is nowhere near the flipper doesn’t mean you shouldn’t flip for one reason or another. Preparing for a drop catch is another example.

#18 6 years ago

Ido it when the ball is down by the flippers and bouncing off slings, it helps my anticipation and timing of the ball or so I think anyway.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Later,
    EV

I'm in your camp. I do it for two reasons, the first is exactly what you stated above, a sling not firing. The second reason is when I have a harsh angle that I know is going to fire the ball right at the opposing flipper. That way, instead of the ball coming off the sling, hitting the flipper and going flying, I can trap the ball and get some semblance of control on it.

Start at 3:10 and watch Bowen do it. You'll see successive flips with each flipper. The right flip is in case the sling doesn't fire and the left flip is to catch and control the ball.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/watching-people-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.