Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Honch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-02-09_07-06-47_466.jpg
    2012-02-09_07-06-25_662.jpg
    2012-01-07_20.27.40.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Literally...

So I have two broke TFTC's....The one I traded with Devil and another one I'm fixing for a friend. Both have board issues. The second one I had identified as a bad PIA on the switch matrix. Ordered a new 6821 and buffer chip and sockets. I have a friend that does solder work for a living in building power supplies for cell phone industry. I'm an ok solderer, but this PIA had been replaced once before (no socket) and had a couple of trace jumpers so he offered to come over and repair it.

Well, he wanted to show me a trick I'd never heard of...Using a heat gun to soften all the solder points on a 40 pin IC at once. He did use wick to remove most of the solder at each point. Then using the heat gun (600 deg and 1000 deg setting on mine) at 600 deg, heated the IC a few seconds and out it popped. Cool! The 20 pin buffer chip (much smaller) is right beside it so he decides to do this one too...only this time he inadvertently put it on 1000 deg! within seconds the board starts smoking and all the traces where the 40 pin PIA was go up in smoke as the board bubbles.

So, in the wink of an eye, I see my $250 board go up in smoke. He felt bad, I felt sick, but I let on no big deal....Didn't want to make him feel worse. He thinks he can take it to his 'shop' and fix all the traces, but I don't think so....

Anyone have a nice used one they want to sell? Sending the other one off to Clive...not taking anymore chances.

#2 12 years ago

ouch. bad story bro

#3 12 years ago

I think someone listed one on RGP today??

#4 12 years ago

Dang if I can find it I saw a post for DE power supplies, but not an MPU

#5 12 years ago

http://www.rottendog.us/mpu004.htm

Not cheap by any means but if your friend can't fix it I would try this.

#6 12 years ago

I believe that one may work

#7 12 years ago

Off topic, but i once was in a laundromat playing Bally's "Atlantis" when smoke started coming from what i thought was a coil under the playfield... i hit the power switch and walked away.

#8 12 years ago

I would have your friend pay for the board. You don't use a tool that's meant to strip paint off a chair on PCBs. I would be pissed.

Hot air definitely has it's place in solder reworking, but you best know how and what you're doing (and have the right equipment).

#9 12 years ago

Wow... That's terrible!

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

I would have your friend pay for the board. You don't use a tool that's meant to strip paint off a chair on PCBs. I would be pissed.
    Hot air definitely has it's place in solder reworking, but you best know how and what you're doing (and have the right equipment).

My friend has no money, and he felt bad as it was. I know it was a bonehead move, but I allowed it...of course I was putting trust into someone that does board work for a living, so it backfired.

Live and learn....the search continues for a board

Rottendog at $300+ is an option but hopefully the last resort...

#11 12 years ago

Those boards are hard to come by.Send it out for repairs

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinmike:

Those boards are hard to come by.Send it out for repairs

Mike, you think it's salvageable? I mean all the green was blistered black and the traces were just floating in air...the substrate was gone. And this is a dense area of traces....all the ones from the 40 pin PIA to the 20 pin buffer IC.

I'd gladly send it out if I didn't think I'd get laughed at and waste the postage as Clive or Rob dropped it into the garbage

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Mike, you think it's salvageable? I mean all the green was blistered black and the traces were just floating in air...the substrate was gone. And this is a dense area of traces....all the ones from the 40 pin PIA to the 20 pin buffer IC.

Ohhh! I honestly think that board is cooked and might not be repairable.But here's an idea,Take close up pics of the board and email them to Clive or Pete at K's arcade.com and see if they are willing or can fix it.Good luck.

Btw,Pinsider Stangbat Erik does great board work put up some pics and let's see what he thinks

#14 12 years ago

Robert. Check your messages. I pm'd you with a guy in Michigan that stocks these and also does good work. Just an idea if you decide it's worth trying.

PBD

#15 12 years ago

Thanks...I sent him an e-mail

#16 12 years ago

I repaired a DE CPU that someone had removed (actually pulled is probably the right term) the LS244 for the switch matrix and ripped most of the traces that went to the PIA and the resistor network. I had to run jumpers all over the back. It looked like a bowl of wire spaghetti once I was done, but it worked. Ugly, but not much else you can do and as has been mentioned, DE CPUs are expensive.

#17 12 years ago

I gotta ask. Pics?

#18 12 years ago

Sorry didn't take any....He was going to take the board into work and let some of his colleagues take a look...They print pcbs and have all the materials to repair substrates supposedly. I figure couldn't be any worse giving them a shot at it. But it's likely going to be ugly and hacked even if it does work, so long term, I'd like to have an original unmolested board. I'm not holding my breath on it being repairable, although stangbat's post gives me hope. When I get it back, I'll post some pics.

#19 12 years ago

If it makes you feel any better, I found this mess on the back of some logic gates that were replaced. Love the 30 gauge wire wrap....

2012-01-07_20.27.40.jpg2012-01-07_20.27.40.jpg

#20 12 years ago

Not terrible.....even the snot balls were a nice touch

#21 12 years ago

I laughed my ass off, when I saw it.

It reminded me of my school days, and 40 wire Xbox mods.

#22 12 years ago

That's not a bad jumper job actually. People sometimes get all worked up when they see what many call "hacks" but these, if done right, regardless of how ugly, were what was needed.

I redid my magnet board on my LAH. The traces and pads are so weak on this board, that the act of heating up to remove legs raised half the pads (something I had never done on any other previous board I have ever worked on). I had to jumper the hell out of it after. I looks ugly, but it's sound, and it works.

As for your problems Robert - that sucks. I had read about this method before, but I prefer to dremel the ICs legs, and dosolder each remaining pin. It takes forever, but seems more safe that applying a ton of heat to a large area of the board.

1 week later
    #23 12 years ago

Just a follow up....I bought a new board from chance Tess in mi (thanks pinballdad) and sent devilinirons hacked board to rework. 2 day turn around and should deliver tomorrow. Total cost for both boards less than the ones on ebay. Pending they look good when I get them tomorrow which I expect I highly recommend him for de boards. I still will post my burnt board pics when I get it back.

#24 12 years ago

Good to hear that you got some boards!

Having a dead pin around drives me nuts. Waiting for parts is the worst.

#25 12 years ago

Great to hear you are moving forward Robertmee! Hope all goes well with Chance. I only used him once but it was stress and drama free so that was important to me Let us all know how it all works out in the end!

1 week later
    #26 12 years ago

As promised....The carnage. Some repair attempted, but all the pads are gone on the bottom, so I just think it's not worth it.

2012-02-09_07-06-25_662.jpg2012-02-09_07-06-25_662.jpg 2012-02-09_07-06-47_466.jpg2012-02-09_07-06-47_466.jpg

#27 12 years ago

Good lord....

A heat gun is absolutely not suitable for pulling entire chips with proper legs. Guns are really meant for SMT work (or sometimes when stripping a PCB you don't care about for old components). Getting the solder for a big DIL chip hot enough across all the pins transmits a damaging amount of heat into the PCB, stressing the tracks and in some cases fracturing them.

Next time do it yourself. Snip the legs, then desolder each in turn and clean the holes out with a solder pump or actual desolder station, or wick if you hate yourself and like spending a lot of time on things.

#28 12 years ago

Maybe I'm just stubborn, but if that were mine, I'd try to fix it. It wouldn't be pretty, but I think it can be done.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

or wick if you hate yourself

I guess i really hate myself. I love the wick and i have a desoldering station. Its not really that bad of stuff if its fresh wick.

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from Firebaall:

If it makes you feel any better, I found this mess on the back of some logic gates that were replaced. Love the 30 gauge wire wrap....

Attachments 2012-01-07_20.27.40.jpg (369.4 KB, 0 downloads) 3 weeks old

I also, don't think that's as bad as you think it is. There is only so much you can do to make it pretty when your running jumpers.

Quoted from robertmee:

As promised....The carnage. Some repair attempted, but all the pads are gone on the bottom, so I just think it's not worth it.

Attachments 2012-02-09_07-06-47_466.jpg (278.1 KB, 0 downloads) 1 day old 2012-02-09_07-06-25_662.jpg (299.7 KB, 0 downloads) 1 day old

I agree Robert, I don't think that board is gonna make it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/watching-my-mpu-go-up-in-smoke-in-need-of-a-de-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.