38%
  • Where's the eggnog? 6 votes
    14%

(42 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
MV5BMjAxYmJhMTMtNmZlZi00ZWJlLTlmMjctOTg5ZTg4MzZmOWM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_ (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Going to watch the art life. After that I want to atleast start the new twin peaks.

It is time.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

ERASERHEAD

#3 6 years ago

I might have to watch eraser head again. The last time I watched it was 90s.

Ok I'll watch it again.

#4 6 years ago

Just about to finish the original twin peaks. I accidentally stumbled into the town it was shot in once... the R&R cafe still had "home of the famous cherry pie" painted on it...

#5 6 years ago

Up to episode eight with the new twin peaks series, great.

#6 6 years ago

I was looking for a cool clip that would show Lynch acting appearances Only.

I need to watch season three now. Starting. Spoilers were everywhere. There were warnings. I stopped watching. Time to just get on it.

#7 6 years ago

I see a severed ear re-theme'd EM with a title of... Mommy's Little Sandman.

#8 6 years ago

David lynch sure is something. I hope I get to meet him someday. He is one person I would like to meet.

#9 6 years ago

I refer to the New Twin Peaks as Twin Boring or Boring Peaks.
I do think a couple early episodes are fine, and episode 8 is truly remarkable.
But after episode 11, I just couldn’t watch any more.
I do consider it pretty terrible.

I admire and enjoy what the man has done, but clearly his best work is well behind him.

#10 6 years ago

Mulholland Drive is a master piece .

#11 6 years ago

Mulholland drive and lost highway on the rewatch pile.

I think lost highway is possibly my favorite soundtrack.

The perfect drug.

#12 6 years ago

I loved 'Blue Velvet' when it came out in 1986. The clip below where Frank Booth asks about Jeffrey's favorite beer is classic.

Gord

#13 6 years ago

Dune will always be the best.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Dune will always be the best.

Good point . It starts with 'Dino de Laurentiis' in opening credits as he raised the funds .I forgot it was Lynch's version.
I saw it on release in the theater when I was at the University of Minnesota. I was on 'L'ucy in the 'S'ky with 'D'iamonds.
I just ordered Dune on Blu-ray.
Sean Young what a dish she was !

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Mulholland Drive is a master piece .
» YouTube video

I've got to watch Mulholland again.

#16 6 years ago

Honestly I try not to pay much attention to writers and directors, so I can look at each movie or TV show on its own merit. That said, I can't stand anything done by David Lynch and at this point I avoid anything he has done. I've walked out of exactly two movies in my life because they sucked so bad: Dune and Days of Thunder.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I've walked out of exactly two movies in my life because they sucked so bad: Dune

I am the " Qisaksateract " I command you to reevaluate you opinion on ' Dune '

#18 6 years ago

Mulholland Drive is my favorite film.
I could not tell you how many times I’ve watched that film.

#19 6 years ago

I was talking with a friend on dune. I saw it in the theaters too. He thought it was an absolute piece. I kind of liked it. Even then. I can remember sitting in the theater.

Watching the opening credits and later leaving. Interesting those are old memories to be so vivid.

I think it is because I loved the going to the movies. I need to remember that now.

#20 6 years ago

Fun fact, George Lucas offered Lynch the opportunity to direct Star Wars, but he turned it down.

2 months later
#21 6 years ago

For anyone who is considering watching the third season of Twin Peaks, I would highly recommend watching Fire Walk With Me first. There is some stuff from that movie that directly carries over into the third season.

9 months later
#22 5 years ago

I just started season three and I am considering stopping and watching the whole series again including the movie.

I've been meaning to do that. I recently watched the lecture David lynch did on transcendental mediation. Interesting.

#23 5 years ago

Wrong David. Did you mean David Cronenberg?

Mullholand drive is unwatchable garbage. Lost Highway was ok, but over all, just dont care for any of his stuff. Its all very dream like and weird. I LOVE weird movies too...just cant get into Lynch.

#24 5 years ago

Lost Highway is a classic. Not on the same level as some other 90's movies but it's strange and fun. The music and cinematography is perfectly blended.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I just started season three and I am considering stopping and watching the whole series again including the movie.

Good luck with season 2. After Laura's killer is revealed, the show goes downhill fast. I binge watched all of season 2 right before season 3 came out, and I was shocked by how boring and stupid some of the episodes were. To be honest, it was a struggle to make it through all of them.

#26 5 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#27 5 years ago

Can't forget this one or The Elephant Man.

MV5BMjAxYmJhMTMtNmZlZi00ZWJlLTlmMjctOTg5ZTg4MzZmOWM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BMjAxYmJhMTMtNmZlZi00ZWJlLTlmMjctOTg5ZTg4MzZmOWM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_ (resized).jpg
#28 5 years ago

My favorite Lynch film is Blue Velvet.

#29 5 years ago

I love (almost) everything David Lynch. Lost Highway is also one of my favorites. I remember seeing Eraserhead as a kid not long after it was released, and while not understanding much, I recognized the utter genius of what I had just witnessed with a strong desire to see it again.

The thing that no one seems to mention is that aside from his other influence on movies, TV and culture, Lynch forever changed sound design. After the post industrial soundtracks of his early films (and even shorts before EraserHead) many films adopted his droning and style of sound design that often stood in for incidental music score.

Twin Peaks was a style of TV that didn't exist before Lynch. The network execs didn't understand it and were constantly after him to solve the mystery. He protested that once the audience knew who killed Laura Palmer, no one would watch. He eventually acquiesced and the show indeed went downhill. Years later however the aesthetic payed off for ABC with Lost.

Another fact not often stated was that Mel Brooks is the one responsible for David's far flung impact on the world.

Brooks needed a director for a black and white film he was about to produce that he wanted to keep his name off, since he felt the world wouldn't take a drama, Elephant Man, seriously from a comedy director. He tapped Lynch to helm the project after seeing EraserHead, since it was a Black and white feature.

Without Brooks, Lynch may very well have been relegated to the art house scene or never heard from again, save for "painting" pictures with rotting meat.

As far as Dune, if one looks past the defects in the visual effects, (visible matte lines in the composites) and the off kilter performance of then newcomer Kyle MacLachlan, the film is brilliant and visionary in a way that makes Star Wars (years later Lucas digitally cleaned up its far better mattes) seem Closer to a cartoon version Dune's themes. The longer director's cut is worth seeing, especially with a friend who has read the Herbert books to discipher the language and fill in some of the back story.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

The longer director's cut is worth seeing, especially with a friend who has read the Herbert books to discipher the language and full in some of the back story.

Not a directors cut but has interesting stuff in it for sure.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

My favorite Lynch film is Blue Velvet.

+ 1, most people seem to hate Blue Velvet, but it truly is a cult classic.

Gord

#32 5 years ago

I know dune is a polarizing film. You got the hardcore purist who talks book vs film. Some people just hate it.

I love it. I saw it in the theater as a teen. I had never read the book but I loved it.

In hindsight, I still love it.

I will kill him!

Or not.
http://fasterpussycatgifgif.tumblr.com/post/54701062632/dune-1984-dir-david-lynch

#33 5 years ago

Also, blue velvet. I am set to rewatch soon with Veronika my fiancée. Who has never seen it. Not really her thing. That's ok I want her to see it. Sharing my view and tastes.

Also I remember that season two was not as good as season one. I still enjoyed it. And will again.

Season one redefined television a bit IMO. So season two Fell flatter by far. But I still enjoyed it, as I said.

I have to include my favorite girl in twin peaks here. Now.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

+ 1, most people seem to hate Blue Velvet, but it truly is a cult classic.
Gord

How could anyone hate Blue Velvet? It is an absolute classic in every way. That new show based on the Archie Comics is just Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks mashed up. The writers and directors are in love with Lynch and it's a pretty good show.

#35 5 years ago

If I ever make a custom or retheme pin, it will be Twin Peaks.
Here's an old thread on the topic: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twin-peaks-ideas

#36 5 years ago

I am going to watch Wild at Heart tonight. Don't think I have seen that one.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I am going to watch Wild at Heart tonight. Don't think I have seen that one.

It's great. Probably the most brilliant characters of all his films, but outright cartoonish. It works though considering the classic film that I won't name for spoiler reasons that is tied in.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Anonymouse:

It's great. Probably the most brilliant characters of all his films, but outright cartoonish. It works though considering the classic film that I won't name for spoiler reasons that is tied in.

Just finished watching it and it was a great movie. William Dafoe's character .... wow

#39 5 years ago

Wild at heart. When I first saw the movie I was confused. But nothing like Mulholland drive confused me.

I need to rewatch it again.

Is it time to watch eraser head a second time? I don't know. I better get to these others first.

#40 5 years ago

Blue velvet though is at the top of the pile now. Today or tomorrow.

#41 5 years ago
#42 5 years ago

Fun Blue velvet fact: the script had Frank Booth inhaling helium, to make his voice higher, to sound like a child, because he was turned on by infantalism.

When Dennis hopper read the script he suggested it be nitrous (or something similar) because helium doesn't cause intoxication, and Lynch agreed.

In retrospect, helium was thematically a much more interesting choice. The baby voice may have been over the top (or just perfect - we'll never know) but I can't help imagine that version of Blue Velvet.

#43 5 years ago

The funniest thing to learn about David Lynch is that he is a boy scout, Leave it to Beaver kind of goodie two shoes with a wacky sense of humor. He was laughing hysterically when Dennis Hopper smacked Isabella Rosellini and says" it's Daddy shit head, where's my bourbon." Isabella is getting raped and David is pissing his pants laughing. This kind of stuff cracks me up.

#44 5 years ago

Actors recount that Lynch often doesn't say the profane word he might be discussing with them, preferring to point to it in the script.

#45 5 years ago

All of these quirky things make him pretty interesting to me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/watching-david-lynch?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.