Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by tamoore
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Image2 (resized).jpg
    E0E02966-96D4-4FD8-AFD9-390D49514BC7 (resized).jpeg
    027D2D6D-4AFA-4592-8642-90E72EA204E9 (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 6 years ago

I just wanted to make some people aware of a new scam I just experienced from Craigslist:

I’m selling a game, and I receive this string of texts:

027D2D6D-4AFA-4592-8642-90E72EA204E9 (resized).png027D2D6D-4AFA-4592-8642-90E72EA204E9 (resized).png

Between the first set of question marks and the second set of question marks, I receive this message from Craigslist’s legitimate texting service:

E0E02966-96D4-4FD8-AFD9-390D49514BC7 (resized).jpegE0E02966-96D4-4FD8-AFD9-390D49514BC7 (resized).jpeg

So this guy wants a security code of some sort that’s been sent to me. After some research, I’ve found that releasing the code to the scammer guy would allow him to post fraudulent ads on MY behalf.

#52 6 years ago

Lol, too bad for Melvin Marty’s yahoo account. No clue who that is. It’s not my email address.

None of that information is mine. The phone number is the scammer’s. The secret code is useless unless you are the scammer requesting it, and they’re time sensitive (rendering it further useless). It’s kinda convoluted, but it’s a thing apparently.

Edit: looks like I jumped the gun assuming the scope of the scam. Had I given the scammer the code before it expired, it would’ve granted him access to poor Marty’s account. I’ve read other scenarios where the email was the actual user’s email address.

Either way, stay vigilant! Scammers are getting creative.

#54 6 years ago

Bingo. Thanks for explaining it better than I could, alex.

This one caught me by surprise because I’ve never seen it before. It seems pretty unlikely that anyone would actually fall for it, but it’s still worth it to warn people here.

#56 6 years ago

I’m currently stringing along another scammer who wants to send me a money order for $100 more than my advertised price and have a shipper arrange for pickup here.

There’s a lot of satisfaction to be had wasting their time!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/watch-out-for-scammers?tu=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.