You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0192.jpg
IMG_0190.jpg
#1 11 years ago

For those of you like me (always pinching pennies!), be careful about using cheap/bargain brand batteries in your machines! I powered up my Stern Magic to play this afternoon, to discover the batteries died. I figured since I was replacing those, that I might as well replace my other games too (been meaning too for awhile anyways). I discovered this in my Meteor.

These particular batteries were maybe all of one year old!

Also, this should serve as a good reminder to everyone why you want to keep your batteries off the board. Luckily, the worst that would have happened here is ruining a $2 battery holder. I'd hate to see this on someone's WPC CPU board, or something pricey like that!

So remember my fellow thrifty pinheads, spend a little extra on decent batteries

IMG_0190.jpgIMG_0190.jpg IMG_0192.jpgIMG_0192.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Wow! What was the expiration date of those suckers? That is unreal that that would happen after only one year.

#3 11 years ago

I'm about to switch all my pins over to capacitor storage. So long as I play it once every 45 days, I'm all good, never have to worry about leakage.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Wow! What was the expiration date of those suckers? That is unreal that that would happen after only one year.

No expiration date on the batteries that I saw. I think I got them from the Big Lots, so God only know how old they actually were! Kind of crazy that despite the leakage, it kept working.

I think from now on, it'll be Duracells or Energizers (depending who's on sale that week!) for the pins. Can keep using the cheapies in free Harbor Freight flashlights and whatnot

#5 11 years ago

I found the package in my desk with a couple more of these - "Best if used by 2014"

Yeah... they're now in the garbage can...

#6 11 years ago

I buy Duracell because of this:

DURACELL® BATTERY GUARANTEE

If you're not completely satisfied with a Duracell® product, contact us.

All of our batteries are guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship. Should any device be damaged by these batteries due to such defects, we will either repair or replace it if it is sent with the batteries. Send with postage prepaid to:

Duracell
Berkshire Corporate Park
Bethel, CT 06801
Att: Consumer Dept.
Phone: 1-800-551-2355

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from pepind:

I think from now on, it'll be Duracells or Energizers

There was a thread about this before. Duracells seem to be the choice of most here with Energizers a close second. I think there were a few that had issues with them. The costco/sams ect... are a no-no. Sealclubber had some cheap ones leak within a couple months.

Vid, that is good to know but I never read the package. I guess its because I have never had a problem with Duracells. I agree with you, Duracells for me only as well.

#8 11 years ago

We used to buy Varta batteries because of their guarantee, similar to Duracells. When we had batteries leak in a Nikon Motor Drive unit, Varta returned it unrepaired, saying we couldn't prove that the batteries caused the damage!

I don't trust those guarantees!

But, I do use remote holders

#9 11 years ago

Remote battery holders on long leads.
I quit replacing batteries after I found a new Energizer leaking in the package.
Now I replace them when they go dead, if they leak I cut the 2 buck holder off and replace it.
I have seen 30 YO batteries that haven't leaked and new ones leaking in the package.
Changing them is pointless.

#10 11 years ago

Arm wrestling is the best way to determine warranty coverage (like all things in life).

Other than than that, use duracell.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

All of our batteries are guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship. Should any device be damaged by these batteries due to such defects, we will either repair or replace it if it is sent with the batteries. Send with postage prepaid to:
Duracell
Berkshire Corporate Park
Bethel, CT 06801

Holy cow vid!!! Yep, nothing but duracells for me moving forward. Great warranty there.

#12 11 years ago

As a side note, I filled a Maglite with Duracells that I bought from Big Lots.

The batteries leaked and I could not possibly get them out, they became so fat.

Sent the flashlight back to Duracell and they sent back a new one, and said the ones that leaked were counterfeit.

Not a bad company to warranty counterfeit products. I give them my money.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Duracell
Berkshire Corporate Park
Bethel, CT 06801

^^^^this^^^^^
Energizer has the same as well. I buy in bulk at Sams

#14 11 years ago

Don't fool yourselves, I've had Duracells do that as well in the same time frame.

Brand consistency has gone out the window with price point competition in a world wide market place.

Different situation but has anyone else noticed the poor quality of light bulbs lately?

#15 11 years ago

I had a set of Duracells leak inside my Mag flashlight (D size), it was so bad I couldn't even get the batteries out of the flashlight. Sent it back to Mag and via Duracell was replaced at no charge. Curious how they'd handle leakage/damage on a CPU.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from AZBen:

Curious how they'd handle leakage/damage on a CPU.

"Repair or Replace" so I guess I would ask them to send the CPU to Coinop Cauldron or get a Rottendog new board.

#17 11 years ago

That's why I make my own batteries! I know the quality and craftsmanship involved in each one I make.

#18 11 years ago

Just changed the batteries on my machines this weekend. Did the first one while upgrading the ROMs and didn't think about powering it on after switching out the ROMs, so lost the high scores - d'oh!

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

batteries. Send with postage prepaid to:

There's no way I'd send my pinball MPU to a stinking battery company. I changed mine all to RAMTRONs...

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm about to switch all my pins over to capacitor storage. So long as I play it once every 45 days, I'm all good, never have to worry about leakage.

Where do you get your CAPs at ?? I helped a friend remove his battery box and install a CAP, but I am not sure where he ordered it from.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from asnatlas:

Where do you get your CAPs at ??

Scroll all the way to the bottom:

http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/electronics/e_ecapacitors.htm

#22 11 years ago

Yeah, I'm not sure that I have faith in their 'repair' department to fix a pinball board if they can't build a battery properly in the first place lol.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yeah, I'm not sure that I have faith in their 'repair' department to fix a pinball board if they can't build a battery properly in the first place lol.

Duracell does not do repairs in house.

They told me they send work out or simply replace with new.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 3.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/watch-out-for-cheap-batteries and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.