Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by sturner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-11.jpeg
    malibu_gary.jpg
    #3 11 years ago

per the web page >>>Yep, pinball at CES. We'll be chatting up Gary Stern, the CEO of Stern Pinball, one of the remaining few companies out there keeping the silver ball dream alive. We'll be discussing the state of the game in an era dominated by console and mobile gaming and what the future holds for pinball.

#4 11 years ago

coming up....

The interviewer seemed to ask some interesting questions to the last guy/segment. Maybe he will ask some unique/interesting questions to Gary? Would be really nice to hear him ask about differences between The Pin and real pinball games...

#5 11 years ago

I figure it'll be the same non-pinhead questions that are asked by every mainstream outlet, starting with "pinball still exists?!"

#6 11 years ago

Wonder if he'll actually finish the interview....would be nice for him to finish something

#7 11 years ago

hahahah>> skirted the question about "how do you work on the machine"

claims there will be no need to service!

#8 11 years ago

Gary just said Stern is up 32% from 2011 to 2012.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Gary just said Stern is up 32% from 2011 to 2012.

He should have said prices are up 32%

#10 11 years ago

Gary just said they are making

AC/DC (premium and Pro), Avatar, Tron all on factory line now...

#11 11 years ago

I love his description of drop targets! LOL!!!

#12 11 years ago

I think he meant X-Men instead of Avatar.

#13 11 years ago

More Tron are being made!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wohooo!!!!!

#14 11 years ago

And second "Pin" is Avengers.

viperrwk

#15 11 years ago

Who else thought, "oh no, here we go again", when he asked, "tell us the history of Stern..."

#16 11 years ago

And he's still claiming that they're the only Pinball manufacturer in the world. I guess Captain Nemo, Full Throttle & WOZ don't count?? SMH, he'll be changing his words soon enough!!

#17 11 years ago

Gary needs some new material. He's like a broken record. All his interviews or talks sound the same.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

All his interviews or talks sound the same.

3 legged stool ford taurus wire favorite game is on the line blah blah blah

#19 11 years ago

Are they really running AC/DC again? Seems like a very smart move considering the fanfare.

It took Gary quite a while to even stumble around to state what game is his favorite.

Take home message from the interview >> Stern is all about bringing in the new player and the collectors are doing little to move pinball forward. They are marketing to the new player. I interpret this as meaning collectors will continue to get the short end of the stick while they are funding their expeditions into new market space with cheap crap like The PIN. Seems like Stern is giving up on the collector market and happy to spend the majority of their time/energy on the ignorant new player. I think someone else said it before, but kind of seems like predatory selling.

They are saying >>THE PIN is just like conventional pinball and conventional pinball have a collector market and retain value. However, they are also directly claiming that THE PIN does not need to be serviced. If they really want to focus on at home pinball for the non-collector then they need modualr and easy to replace components that even a novice DIYer can fix.

#20 11 years ago

Harry Williams, all our games are licensed, were not the last maker, pavlovian...

Quoted from AkumaZeto:

3 legged stool ford taurus wire favorite game is on the line blah blah blah

#21 11 years ago

Someone should make a Gary Stern Quotebot that replies to random Pinside posts with a Gary Stern cliché

#22 11 years ago

I was really hoping to hear how many miles of wire are used in a machine.

And the best part? You can put it on free play, no quarters!!

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Harry Williams, all our games are licensed, were not that last maker, pavlovian...

The CES audience hadn't heard his spiel before.

viperrwk

#24 11 years ago

ok, for us that missed it do they have another way to view it?

#25 11 years ago

Only question I would ask is "where the eff are my code updates"

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from mummite:

Only question I would ask is "where the eff are my code updates"

where is my new god damn sly game.....

#27 11 years ago

It's like pulling on a Barbie doll string with Gary.

*creek!* "Do you know there's half a mile of wire in a pinball machine?"

*creek!* "There's more man hours in a pinball machine then on a Ford Taurus!"

*creek!* "Do you know all pinball machines are made by hand?"

#28 11 years ago

It's Pavlovian pinball.

Pavlovian... What good does it do to tell people this? I doubt many people understand what he is saying. It is really an odd thing to qoute when you are selling a product.

#29 11 years ago

From what I understand these "Pins" are modular, so you probably aren't going to hear the trivia about how much wire is in a "real" pinball when these don't have that much wire.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

It's Pavlovian pinball.

Pavlovian... What good does it do to tell people this? I doubt many people understand what he is saying. It is really an odd thing to qoute when you are selling a product.

I think you're vastly underestimating the target audience. He's not selling snake oil to dirt farmers. He's selling expensive luxury items for the home. If you can afford a new pin and you've never heard of Pavlov's dog, you probably inherited your wealth. He's used that same spiel with distributors for years.

A presentation by Gary Stern before the Century Club at the ASI 2004 Industry Show:

"We have to make a game that everyone can understand and enjoy. We make what we call mechanical action pinball. The casual player doesn't notice a light in front of a target. He sees a target drop, or Kenny fall over dead or the Balrog come out. A physical state change. He gets an idea of what to do and he feels good when he does it. It's self-educating and he does it again, it's Pavlovian pinball. We're trying to make a game today to get the casual player without losing the core player."

http://www.sternpinball.com/PR_about.shtml

#31 11 years ago

He didn't say anything about propping up the Russian economy with his vodka purchases... Count me disappointed.

#32 11 years ago

It's like pulling on a Barbie doll string with Gary.

*creek!* "Do you know there's half a mile of wire in a pinball machine?"

*creek!* "There's more man hours in a pinball machine then on a Ford Taurus!"

*creek!* "Do you know all pinball machines are made by hand?"

malibu_gary.jpgmalibu_gary.jpg

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

it's Pavlovian pinball

I still think it's an absurd (and confusing) selling point (feature, benefit) to a purchaser.

Try to explain WHY this increases sales saying this...

If he said it was "addictive", that might be more understood by the average person.

But to say it's Pavlovian is pretty far out there.

He claims to be targeting a "casual user", or "broadening the player base".

Saying Pavlovian does not do that.

#34 11 years ago

I saw Walter White in one of the videos......wonder if Jessie and Mike where there.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

He claims to be targeting a "casual user", or "broadening the player base".

Saying Pavlovian does not do that.

Agreed, it's not the best terminology. If anything, to me, it's a little demeaning, regulating the "casual player" to a fool who only continues to hit a few drop targets, etc. because the "points beep and go up." However, I would be shocked if the term "Pavlovian" went over anyone's heads -- it sounds fancy, but essentially, 8th-9th grade concept.

#36 11 years ago

Sterns new design team

th-11.jpegth-11.jpeg

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Gary needs some new material. He's like a broken record. All his interviews or talks sound the same.

Should he start making up different answers to the same questions? Have you ever listened to politicians? Actors? Anyone who is interviewed on the same subject over and over again?

Feels a little bit like pot and kettle in this thread, as most of the Stern bashing that goes on is constant regurgitation of the same ol' same.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Feels a little bit like pot and kettle in this thread, as most of the Stern bashing that goes on is constant regurgitation of the same ol' same.

yup.

He's not doing the interview for us, its for this new customer base they are trying to reach.

#39 11 years ago

I think it's funny that Stern continues to cheapen their games where on the other hand, JJP seems to be all about quality.

Having both companies competing head to head for for sales, I hope this opens Sterns eyes that they're no longer alone in the pinball manufacturing world, and that they have to "up their game" to compete in this market.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I think it's funny that Stern continues to cheapen their games where on the other hand, JJP seems to be all about quality.
    Having both companies competing head to head for for sales, I hope this opens Sterns eyes that they're no longer alone in the pinball manufacturing world, and that they have to "up their game" to compete in this market.

How can you say quality when they have not been placed in the hands of a non-biased route operator?

I'll say it; a so-called quality product is not of much use if is not released.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

JJP is not producing a machine at anywhere near the price point of "The Pin". It is not even the same target market. For that matter, JJP is not producing a pin anywhere near the cost of the "Pro". If you want to compare, compare WOZ (once it is released) to Stern Premiums/LEs.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

Agreed, it's not the best terminology. If anything, to me, it's a little demeaning, regulating the "casual player" to a fool who only continues to hit a few drop targets, etc. because the "points beep and go up." However, I would be shocked if the term "Pavlovian" went over anyone's heads -- it sounds fancy, but essentially, 8th-9th grade concept.

He's not talking to casual players at that show. He's talking to distributors with lots and lots of money. He wants to let them know his product is addictive. And that they should buy a bunch of them to sell to the marks (potential addicts).

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

JJP still as yet has not proven their business model. We'll know in 2 years time if they are still here whether they pulled it off or if there was not much of a market for $7500 pins.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

while this may be true, I believe at the $6500 price mark for OZ they are coming close to breaking even. I applaud them for keeping true to the original price point while continuing to add features, but there's a reason why the hobbit price is higher.. They finally realized what it cost to make a pinball machine. On the same token, I still think you're getting more bang for the buck with JJP comparing apples to apples (Stern LE to the one model that JJP has)

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

while this may be true, I believe at the $6500 price mark for OZ they are coming close to breaking even. I applaud them for keeping true to the original price point while continuing to add features, but there's a reason why the hobbit price is higher.. They finally realized what it cost to make a pinball machine. On the same token, I still think you're getting more bang for the buck with JJP comparing apples to apples (Stern LE to the one model that JJP has)

But there is a "Standard" WoZ and a ECLE WoZ from JJP.

#46 11 years ago

Only thing I'd say is they should have had George do the talking. He's just better at explaining this stuff I feel.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/watch-gary-speak-at-ces-730-et-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.