Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mmr61184
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_forum_5173835_1 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_5173760_1 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_5198012_1727307 (resized).jpg
    071 2 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

Restoring a TAF and it’s the first time I took a game apart when I feel like I know what I am doing as opposed to when I shopped it the first time 10+ years ago. Two things

1) Is there normally supposed to be small thin washers between the tops of the posts between the post and the plastics. Some had them and others did not.

2) is there supposed to be washers between the top of playfield and the posts that get bolted from underneath . I know there is always a washer between the nylon nut and the bottom side of the playfield. Same question goes for the bolts on the ball guides that bolt on under the playfield.

#2 1 year ago

??? Pix please.

Quoted from mmr61184:

) Is there normally supposed to be small thin washers between the tops of the posts between the post and the plastics. Some had them and others did not.

It all depends....
    On Addams family, they used the popbumper washers that are used for the ring & rod assembly,
    as the support of the long green plastic piece on the extreme left side of the graveyard area.
    I believe it has three locknuts to fasten the piece on top.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

??? Pix please.

It all depends....
    On Addams family, they used the popbumper washers that are used for the ring & rod assembly,
    as the support of the long green plastic piece on the extreme left side of the graveyard area.
    I believe it has three locknuts to fasten the piece on top.
    [quoted image]

Yup those ones I had washers on. I wasn’t asking about any specific part just talking about in general across the board for both between the plastics and the post and between the playfield and the post

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Restoring a TAF and it’s the first time I took a game apart when I feel like I know what I am doing as opposed to when I shopped it the first time 10+ years ago. Two things
    1) Is there normally supposed to be small thin washers between the tops of the posts between the post and the plastics. Some had them and others did not.
    2) is there supposed to be washers between the top of playfield and the posts that get bolted from underneath . I know there is always a washer between the nylon nut and the bottom side of the playfield. Same question goes for the bolts on the ball guides that bolt on under the playfield.

1) No.

2) Sometimes. I know that doesn't help much but there you go.

#5 1 year ago

Many folks have added the washers in between the post and playfield plastic to help protect the plastic from taking a direct hit on the corner causing a crack. Usually these are lexan washers but sometimes they are metal fender style.

The washers below the bottom of the posts are usually installed by the factory on newer games that didn't want issues with cracked/pooled clear coat.

In my experience pins from the early 90's and older had neither originally. I do like to add the lexan washers to certain plastics like slings and drop target banks. Especially for modern games that have multiball.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks guys

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blake:

In my experience pins from the early 90's and older had neither originally. I do like to add the lexan washers to certain plastics like slings and drop target banks. Especially for modern games that have multiball.

Sure they did. I've seen it in many games I've torn apart.

Here's one example on a BSD and I've done more than one and have seen these two in every one of them. I would imagine the design required a tad longer post and rather than having new ones manufactured, they simply used existing ones with a washer underneath.

What you as a restorer have to determine is whether those washers were installed originally or someone added them at some point. Usually it's pretty easy to tell.

071 2 (resized).JPG071 2 (resized).JPG
    #8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Sure they did. I've seen it in many games I've torn apart.
    Here's one example on a BSD and I've done more than one and have seen these two in every one of them. I would imagine the design required a tad longer post and rather than having new ones manufactured, they simply used existing ones with a washer underneath.
    What you as a restorer have to determine is whether those washers were installed originally or someone added them at some point. Usually it's pretty easy to tell.
    [quoted image]

Not the same example of what I was describing. In relatively recent years, pooling/chipping of clear became prevalent. To counter or rectify this issue manufacturers started installing plastic/lexan/even metal washers under plastic playfield posts as pictured. I agree that elevated or structural posts and alike will often have flat washers installed beneath them.

Pinside_forum_5173760_1 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_5173760_1 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_5173835_1 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_5173835_1 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_5198012_1727307 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_5198012_1727307 (resized).jpg
    #9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blake:

Not the same example of what I was describing. In relatively recent years, pooling/chipping of clear became prevalent. To counter or rectify this issue manufacturers started installing plastic/lexan/even metal washers under plastic playfield posts as pictured. I agree that elevated or structural posts and alike will often have flat washers installed beneath them.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Does it even matter at that point, at the end of the day there is a heavy steel ball rolling and bouncing on the playfield it will never stay perfect you won’t see under them anyway right or is there something I am missing that it could spread to a visible spot

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Does it even matter at that point, at the end of the day there is a heavy steel ball rolling and bouncing on the playfield it will never stay perfect you won’t see under them anyway right or is there something I am missing that it could spread to a visible spot

The issue of pooling and chipping under the post has nothing to do with the ball and everything to do with the clear and whether its fully cured or not. There are many assumptions as to why these issues occur. But in the end the result is a defect that is otherwise caused or amplified by tightening plastic playfield posts down to the playfield. One of the fixes if you will, from the manufacturers was to install the washers beneath the post to alleviate the pressure or as many folks believe, hide the defect. We could get into a big long discussion about curing times for clear and what not on these playfields but I'm sure you could find these discussions if you search.

I should add that there is always a chance any defect in the clear could get worse over time. Obviously these are not steadfast rules and every example is different with possibly unique circumstances.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blake:

The issue of pooling and chipping under the post has nothing to do with the ball and everything to do with the clear and whether its fully cured or not. There are many assumptions as to why these issues occur. But in the end the result is a defect that is otherwise caused or amplified by tightening plastic playfield posts down to the playfield. One of the fixes if you will, from the manufacturers was to install the washers beneath the post to alleviate the pressure or as many folks believe, hide the defect. We could get into a big long discussion about curing times for clear and what not on these playfields but I'm sure you could find these discussions if you search.
    I should add that there is always a chance any defect in the clear could get worse over time. Obviously these are not steadfast rules and every example is different with possibly unique circumstances.

Got it, luckily mine has been sitting here for 3 years so it’s definitely cured

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/washers-between-posts-and-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.