Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Hayfarmer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191225_202433 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

New pinball owner here. I’m removing plastics so I can put in new rubbers. Most of the nuts don’t have washers. Some have washers below the plastics. Some, above, between the nut and the plastic.

Could use some guidance. Above, below the plastic or none at all?

The plan is to replace the old, off color nylon acorn nuts with bright shiny stainless. I put on two as a test and they look real good on the machine.

This is for Mystic, early SS machine.

And I’m trashing the obnoxious white GI LEDs, replacing with 47s.

#2 4 years ago

The best place is to install the PETG washer between the plastic post and metal post. The idea is to deflect the ball before it makes contact with the plastic.

#3 4 years ago

The nylon acorn nuts go onto threaded posts and the stainless Gottlieb style ones cut their own threads (self tapping), so if those are the bright shiny stainless ones your talking about you'll damage the threads on the studs.

#4 4 years ago

If you mean small metal washers I actually don't use them on the posts at all. I've seen a lot below and a few above, but I just check them all IF they're there.

#5 4 years ago

These are small metal washers. What is PETG?

The acorn nuts are from the hardware store. Not self tapping.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

These are small metal washers. What is PETG?

PETG is a plastic washer some people use under the bottom sling post to protect the slings from damage

#7 4 years ago

Marco sells the PETG clear plastic washers. I think they have 3 sizes.

I use the steel nuts with the plastic inserts to self lock that are used in most new pins.

Plastic washer on the post first then the main plastic then small steel washer then nut.

20191225_202433 (resized).jpg20191225_202433 (resized).jpg
    #8 4 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

Plastic washer on the post first then the main plastic then small steel washer then nut.

But, why? What do they accomplish as opposed to just a nut?

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

To disperse force.
    See there are diff'rent ways of doing everything and not always a "right way." I shop a lot of games and when I'm done, there a tub full of washers and acorn nuts and they all go in the trash.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

And I’m trashing the obnoxious white GI LEDs, replacing with 47s.

^^^ +1 ^^^

I just tore down a game that had metal washers above and below most every plastic. I won't reuse them unless something specific needs to be shimmed to line up right. Most will be tossed. Some people get carried away with tightening hardware, crush posts and then use washers to shim everything up again. As for nuts, I look at the flyer and go with whatever was original. You can get new nylon acorn nuts that are bright, shinny and clean.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

I always thought those were to prevent corners of plastics from being dinged off by air balls.

#12 4 years ago

the washers under the plastics tends to ruin the art on the plastic over time. especially if overtightened.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I always thought those were to prevent corners of plastics from being dinged off by air balls.

this is what they are for to stop the slingshot plastics from getting broken

#14 4 years ago

I’ve been planning to do this and have pondered the same thing..

More often than not you will see people put PETG washers below the plastics, but I will be putting them above the plastics. My rationale being - fragile artwork is printed on the bottom of the plastics, whereas the top side can be polished if it becomes a little worn from rubbing, as opposed to having permanently scratched artwork. As long as the washer extends past the edge of the plastic, it should reduce the potential for busted plastics.

As far as I can tell the only reason you’d put them underneath is to make the washers less noticeable visually?

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

More often than not you will see people put PETG washers below the plastics, but I will be putting them above the plastics. My rationale being - fragile artwork is printed on the bottom of the plastics, whereas the top side can be polished if it becomes a little worn from rubbing, as opposed to having permanently scratched artwork. As long as the washer extends past the edge of the plastic, it should reduce the potential for busted plastics.
    As far as I can tell the only reason you’d put them underneath is to make the washers less noticeable visually?

OK a couple of issues with what you're saying.
    The entire point of the petg washer is to protest the plastic from breaking, so having it above the plastic does nothing.
    It should have no chance of touching the bottom of the plastic and art if you do it correctly. The petg washer goes on top of the posts, but underneath the metal screw stand off, then plastic.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

A better approach might be to get plastic protectors which go underneath the entire plastic, removing any possibility of something rubbing against the Art. These serve the same purpose - protecting the plastic (usually sling plastics) from breaking

#17 4 years ago

I had a full plastic protector in the left TZ sling plastic that is pictured above. I had to remove it because the ball coming down the track would not drop down. The right side has a full plastic protector. Something to watch out for.

#18 4 years ago

I put color matched to game washers under all my slings. Got em from titan

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/washers-above-below-or-not-at-all and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.